Okay how do we fix his character? This might be the worst character ever written in Persona

Okay how do we fix his character? This might be the worst character ever written in Persona

i liked him

He's fine though. I was able to understand him in the end. Had he and Joker met just a little bit earlier, he could have been saved. But it wasn't fated to be, and he went down the path he went, alone, miserable and in pain. He was a great villain for that reason.

Drag out his motive rant a little more and have you fight him multiple times within Shido's Palace before he finally dies.

TASTE MY WR-R-R-RATH

His motivations are fucking retarded

>wah wah my father doesnt acknowledge me so I'll make him acknowledge me by killing people
>haha and once i get his acknowledgment i'll kill him for not acknowledging me in the first place
>wah wah i dont need friends they only weigh you down

this is quite possibly the worst motive I've ever seen for a villian

>spends entire game as detective hot on your heels while being a funny and likeable, if creepy, dude
>plot twist happens
>daddy issues
>HOW DARE YOU HAVE FRIENDS, FRIENDS ARE FILTH, BEING LONELY IS SUPERIOR, DEATH TO ALL WHO HAVE FRIENDS

why did this happen to an interesting character

so what i still liked him

The most obvious. That he's being controlled by Loki, and his true Persona was corrupted enough that it can drive others insane.

He had no friends, he was a bastard unwanted son, he was thrown away by everyone. And it was his turn to throw someone else away. He wanted his father to need him, to be dependent on him, the way he was dependent, and to then throw him away just as he was thrown away.

All of this makes 100% complete total undeniable sense. You might not like the things he did, but you'll understand them as long as you're not autistic.

If the jojo prophecy is true, he's the Fugo. A character with alot of potential utterly shit on by not being acted on in the right way and being cut out to soon. It also means he'll be fixed up in supplementary material

This, if it happened with Nyarly it can happen with any persona based on deities.

>plot twist happens
I wouldn't even call it a plot twist you literally see it coming a mile away when you first meet the dude yourself and he hears Morgana talk

loser weeaboo detected

It was so fucking obvious he was gonna be the teammate who betrayed you. It was so obvious that I doubted they would actually make that a big twist.

>All of this makes 100% complete total undeniable sense.

why did he die while screaming about how much he hates friendship like a child's cartoon villain

I was 100% convinced Akechi was a red herring and the real traitor was Haru or Makoto.

Instead it was even more boring than I thought, because Akechi was just crazy the whole time or something

Because he was corrupted by his hatred, which was borne out of being thrown away by everyone. He wanted to be loved and wanted, and when he realized that wouldn't happen, he turned his loneliness into bitterness and hatred.

>This might be the worst character ever written in Persona

That's not
>The entire P4 gang outside Yu in Arena
>The fat kids
>Ken
>Strega
>Ryoji

>Ken
>Strega

is this a meme? Strega doesn't show up as much as they should but they're fine when they're on screen. Ken has always been fine even if he got shinji killed.

Most people didn't even notice that until the game explains it though.

The only annoying part is the game's repeated display of shoving him down everyone's throat.

>oh it's that boy detective on tv again
>vote for akechi-kun!
>draw him on the chalkboard
>J-just don't do it at the movies, heh

Do I get why it was important? Absolutely, it was necessary. Did it bother me? Yes, sometimes it did.

The twist isn't that he's the traitor, it's that he's a total failure who didn't fool a single person he was supposed to and got taken on a ruse cruise.

he's like SMT protag.
>edgy
>kill friends
>no friend

I immediately noticed it. They basically wave a flag in your face because immediately after everybody's like "Pancakes? WE didn't say anything about pancakes"

You catch it if you're paying attention. I went back to the chat log during the scene because he was just around the corner and I was like "oh shit did he just hear all the shit rhat dumbass Ryuji said about us being Phantom Thieves?" then I caught the pancake thing on accident.

Which makes me wonder, why the fuck did he reveal he heard the fucking cat talk during that scene?

Ken was absolutely bland for his kid genius stitch.
And maybe you like outrageously shitty Team Rocket/Doronbo clones who's only redeeming qualities being free XP and pussy.

I'll accept awkwardly executed than absolutely no trying at all.

I must have skipped that scene entirely, because the first time I seen it happen was when it was revealed.

Even if he met joker earlier he still would be a mass killer.

>nobody acknowledges the pancakes
>all scenes of the group scheming are blocked out until afterwards even though the plot twist is obvious

There isn't even a twist, the game just makes you think that your team are retards walking into a trap for like 10 hours while you complete the dungeon.

The game would have been better if they just showed the scenes that were blocked out, it made your group seem like retards for not noticing and made the entire thing unsatisfying

If Goro had turned out in such a way that not even fujos would take him he still would've been a better character than virtually anyone in P4. Especially Adachi.

I think he genuinely didn't realize it was a cat that was talking. When he heard Morgana for the "first" time he probably connected the dots then and had to play it off as being surprised.

Add an option to dialogue to hit on him for the entire game as a joke as well as an option to take him out for pancakes. Everytime you do Akechi spills spaghetti out his pockets and becomes flustered, slightly derailing the conversation before getting back on topic. If you pick every romantic choice the ending would be slightly different. Akechi would apologize for having to kill you and tell you he actually reciprocates your feelings and meeting you brought him to terms with his sexuality. He gives Joker's shadow a kiss after confessing his love to a shadow.

Then later when he figures the truth out have Joker admit he was just messing with him the whole time. This pisses him off so much you to skip the first part of the boss fight and skip straight to psychotic Akechi.

By earlier I meant if Joker had met him before any of the shenanigans with "Igor" had even begun. If Joker had met him years ago, if he had someone that didn't throw him away, someone who cared, none of this would have happened.

it's extremely obvious because nobody but morgana talked about pancakes. it's a major red flag that the game doesn't bring up again until after the dungeon because they assumed that you were retarded and didn't pay attention to what the characters say

If he had met Joker earlier he wouldn't have killed anybody. He was a murderer for less than 2 years and it only started after Shido got his claws in him.

I appreciate that the game actually makes Makoto behave suspiciously when you're about to send the calling card, only to find out that she was just planning the ruse the entire time.

>Which makes me wonder, why the fuck did he reveal he heard the fucking cat talk during that scene?
He didn't see who was talking. He only overheard it from around the corner of the corridor. He naturally didn't even think about the possibility of it being a cat or whatever, if you heard someone talk you wouldn't think "hm maybe it's not a human being" either.

It also doesn't help that the blatant SOMTHING'S SUSPICIOUS ABOUT THIS GUY scenes are literally the only ones blocked out, all Atlus had to do was skip them rather than do the wavy bullcrap and not treat their fans like retards.

persona is crap now, they play it safe to appease all the weeaboos

refantasy might be good if they follow Catherine's footsteps

Sounds good.

in other words, he is retard

>Catherine's footsteps
Catherine was perhaps even more ridiculous about not alienating fans than P4 was with the "Vincent didn't ACTUALLY cheat on Katherine" shit at the end.

When you are at the TV station during the field trip. You guys are about to leave then Goro shows up.

Make him a bit more girly and make him wear a cute outfit

Persona 5: Goro Edition when?

You only get to play as Goro from start to end, you only get two Persona and you have to spend the entire game going full Agent 47 trying to avoid the Investigation team while going around wet working cunts.

>you only get two Persona
More like you use Loki to control Shadows like he does during the boss fight. Maximum asset reusing, no need to completely rework gameplay balance to account for one party member only.

make him a real lawfag instead of an edgy manchild.

Is there a Persona that naturally blocks Phys/Gun/Bless/Curse? Goro is fucked the instant he encounters that.

Real lawfags fucking suck. They figured this out in Raidou 2 but immediately backtracked on it for SMTIV because div1 never fucking learns.

>Ken
>kid genius
???

I want to fucking gouge ultimax ken's eyes out
And steal Koro's sweater

You may have issues my friend.

So wait, do you mean SMT? Goro manipulating shadows into doing his bidding just sounds like he's going full SMT Protagonist on it.
That is actually a concept I would be down with. It keeps with the "loner" aspect of his character since demons in SMT are just tools to help you survive.

Omnipotency orb, bruh. Just steal that shit from the Velvet Room when they aren't looking.

>Akechi is foreshadowed heavily throughout the whole game
>"ya he's gonna be a bad guy in the end isn't he"
>Akechi joins the party
>"ya he's still gonna be the bad guy lol"

ya he's the bad guy haha

pretty good story huh

Come, Looookkiiiiiiiii

PERSONAAAAARRRRGH

The deliveries were great.

LOL as if. Even Lucifer doesn't want to share his Arcana.
I hope you're only speaking from your own experience because anyone who isn't an illiterate/underage faggot/retarded fujo can see through his fake acting and betrayal.

Have him somehow come back in Persona 5 Arena with a redemption arc?

Yeah, I would have rather of had him be a legit rival that refused to back down on his moral point of view, but it's all a facade for homicidal daddy issues. That aren't even properly aimed at his daddy.

The day Sup Forums stops using social status as an argument is the day Sup Forums becomes bearable

Agreed. Insane prompto is good.

>villains are only good if they're smarter and more morally justifiable than the hero, allowing me to stroke my fedora

Akechi is an irrational autist with an inferiority complex, that's his character. Just because you think all characters should be perfect robots who make rational and logical decisions all the time doesn't mean he's poorly written

Not that user but anyone who uses "loser weeaboo" as an insult is very obviously not actually someone who considers themselves a part of Sup Forums and is just some normalfag attempting to force their particular brand of normality onto Sup Forums.

Make him a woman that also has to reconcile her genuine emotions of the MC against her plans and motives, ultimately choosing betrayal.

Sounds realky faggy

To actually use him to his potental, remove the "twist", him, Makoto and Haru from the party, give those three their own team that opposes the phantom thieves. Where the thieves brainwash terrible people for the greater good, the detectives oppose them and use different methods to take down those with pallaces. Thrown in a few playable segments as Aketchi's group and actual goddamn moral ambiguity and you got some improvements.

everything about him was fake. i thought he would have just a twisted view on justice but that turned out not to be real. hell, even his custom was fake just to blend in with his fake personality.

his even worse cry baby than adachi and that saying something.

>muh moral ambiguity

This actually sounds alright. You get Haru too late in the game to be of any use anyway.
Actually playing the antagonist side of the series would give people more choice as to which side they support and as you said, the moral ambiguities of brainwashing people into being good people.

Though I would like to posit that if they somehow did a crossover with 3/4/5 then the only smart choice would be to join Team Lawfags since it would have Akihiko, Chie and Naoto since they're cops.

This is a really cool idea.

literally this
He's fuckng 16, of course he's emotional and his judgement is clouded, thats the entire point of him.

Was the whole him hearing morgana talking about pancakes supposed to be a sneaky twist? Because it's incredibly obvious when it happens don't know who that was supposed to fool.

Considering there's a full paragraph of text and a near full minute of spoken dialogue between the mention of pancakes and when akechi shows up i think it's easy to miss

It is obvious. The twist is that the PT, unlike most JRPG protagonists, aren't complete retards, and see through his later 'omg the cat is talking' act straight away.

I feel like the real twist is supposed to be the plan that the thieves make in response to that.

But yeah, it's a still a bit too obvious.

He's poorly written by my standard.
>His backstory is so cultural-dependent you need to research to sympathize or something along the line like those apologists say, while other villains have self-contained backgrounds and motives that connect far more effectively with players all around the world.
>Despite having a "tragic background" he gets off easier compared to other characters in the game. Compare him at the present to Futaba, or Ryuji or even Shiho. For the record those three are victims while he's the villain. He's granted a power by god, not them.
>His "master plan" is retarded as much as him (or his fans). For being a "brilliant detective" he thinks that helping the big bad killing people and gathering power AND THEN whispering into his father's ears and revealing his true name is an acceptable plan worthy of pursuing and murdering innocent people for 2 years. If that's not the most hilariously half-baked plan I've ever heard I don't know what is.
>The argument his fans (I guess mostly just fujos) bring up is a simple "he's pitiful because he has a fucked up childhood caused by the rotten adults y-you don't understand", just like fucking Sasuke.

It fooled me. I was tired playing at that point in the game so I wasn't really paying full attention to that and went through the dialogue quickly.

More so than the pancakes I figured he was the traitor because all the party members were oddly mean to him, even more than Makoto who kind of did the same thing (blackmail). They were also kind of mean to him even before the whole blackmail thing. Atlus is also really inconsistent about including him in artwork.

Nah, it's pretty easy to catch if you're paying attention.

>Atlus is also really inconsistent about including him in artwork.
Yeah, why is he on the front cover, but not in the OP. Even Haru and Makoto get a two second scene, which is funny given the massive disparity in how much they each drive the plot after joining.

Did people not just assume Goro was evil because he wore black gloves in his civilian outfit?
That shit is symbolism 101.

>dude why does this character make bad decisions it's BAD WRITING!!!!!

Stop.

The intro was animated years ago, they probably hadn't finalized all the details of the characters and story yet.

I have issues with how they shoehorned his boss fight into Shido's palace. They realised they were pushing the player into 3 boss sequential boss fights without a save room so made him easier to compensate.

Not an argument, fujo.

>His backstory is so cultural-dependent
This is not a valid criticism. The entirety of P5 is based on aspects of Japanese society so much so that the director was worried it was too Japanese.
>His "master plan" is retarded
That's the whole point. If you didn't notice, the party basically tells him it's pathetic instead of thinking he's an amazing mastermind. Also his career as a detective is entirely fabricated, as he used his access to the metaverse to create crimes and solve them.
>he's pitiful because he has a fucked up childhood caused by the rotten adults
Which is the point of his character. Yusuke specifically says he could have ended up like him, as he's also an orphan attached to a man who only wants to exploit him. Akechi was basically a desperate kid who got warped growing up, got powers from god and wound up taking literally the worst path possible with it because he's a stupid emotionally wrecked teenager. It's hilariously sad that Shido also already knew who he was, so it wasn't even worth it in the first place.

Was the intro animated at the same time they made Daybreakers? It would explain the bigger emphasis on Joker/Ryuji/Ann/Morgana/Yusuke compared to Futaba/Haru/Makoto.

>before he finally dies
No one actually believes that he's dead, right?

Neither is "this character didn't make the decisions I would have made with the benefit of hindsight so he's poorly written"

His final scene was definitely written in a way that they could feasibly bring him back for spinoffs if they wanted to, or just leave him dead if the fanbase didn't like him.
Personally, I'm assuming he's dead until a spinoff says otherwise.

He's fuckin dead, m8.
Even if he wasn't shot fatally, there's no way he could've escaped the Palace in time before it collapsed.

>This is not a valid criticism.
Read the whole sentence. His fans constantly bring up that point to justify their sympathy for a psychopath/murderer to others AND see it as something to teach anyone who voices his own opinions why Akechi is a poorly written character.

>That's the whole point.
Glad you agree with my standard.

If you never come up with anything productive to counter my post why are you wasting time proving you're an idiot ?

>pretty boy important to the story heroically sacrifices himself and you never see the body
Yup. Totally dead.

I didn't like how he randomly dropped by the cafe to dump his tragic backstory on the player that one time, shit came out of nowhere. Him & Joker weren't even that close yet.

>there's no way he could've escaped the Palace in time before it collapsed.
Wait what? there's still lot of time between his fight and Shidou get the calling card.

>Glad you agree with my standard.
I'm not agreeing with your standard, I'm telling you that Akechi's plan isn't meant to be smart in the first place. It's acknowledged in universe as being dumb. What you've done is the equivalent of calling Junpei stupid.

The engine room was his entry point into the Palace and Morgana couldn't detect him anymore because he booted himself out. Off the top of my head that's one answer to that scene that they could run with.

If a persona 5 golden ever comes out, akechi will survive if you get his confidant to rank 10 before that scene happens (obviously you would be able to hang out with him outside cutscenes)

Surprise, the autistic detective doesn't have friends and doesn't know how to socialize correctly.

It is heavy handed backstory dropping but within universe it makes sense that someone who doesn't know how to talk to people would be the kind of douchebag who would unload his emotional issues on someone he doesn't really know. he probably picked Joker because he knew he was making friends easily by observing him.

Him being a plot-forced Confidant makes little sense. You initiate it about ten minutes after he badmouths the PT on national TV, and every scene with him afterwards has some way of ignoring him or telling him to fuck off. They should've copied the set up for Adachi from P4G, where the confidant is optional, but can only goes to rank 5 or so before you reach specific story events.