Remember when From Software made innovate games that took many risks...

Remember when From Software made innovate games that took many risks? It seems like Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne were made to appeal to fans and ride the difficulty bandwagon. Dark Souls 3 feels incredibly soulless. Like the soul of the game is lost when the series got popular.

I don't want another Souls game, or a Bloodborne II. I want a new innovative game not caring what people want from them. I want From Software to do their own thing like they did with Demon's Souls.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Np5PdpsfINA&t=5m27s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The only reason they were so experimental with DeS is because they thought the game was gonna fail anyways. Now the have a financial expectation on them, they can't afford to fuck up

My main thing with DaS3 and BB is the complete lack of any of the weird, charming mechanics that the previous games had.

What happened to my vagrants? My ant-mother? World Tendency? That tree that you whip and it repairs your weapons? Ash Lake?

At least BB is stylish and has a fantastic atmosphere. There was no love in DaS3

You aren't the only one that watched the mathewmatosis video.

exactly. What creative new idea did Dark Souls 3 do? Game is just a soulless rehash of Dark Souls 1 with a mix of Bloodborne in it. Game completely lacks creativity.

I agree Matthew Matosis. What is up btw. I see you like posting on Sup Forums a lot.

>you are not allowed to innovate if your games sell well

This is why the gaming industry is in an absolutely cancerous state.

Hey OP, have you played Armored Core or King's Field? Or is this just a shitposting thread?

Nigga why do you forget about milking KF4.
>make same games that sell moderatly well for their budget
>try new thing for next gen
>take KF, make it 3d and add some stuff to it since KF wouldn't work on next gen anymore
>it's finally successfull a successful game
>get contract from Bamco

Nigga if you get offer for a better paying job will you stay at shittier one?

>DeS was the best Souls game because it took risks and wasn't afraid to have new innovative ideas and mechanics even if those ideas were rough and unpolished because at least they were experimental while the later Souls games are more formulaic.
>I don't like that they got rid of shields, changed the healing system, and reduced the emphasis on the RPG elements in BB.
Really makes you think...

>removed mechanics and made the game more shallow
>"taking risks and having new innovative ideas"

Every time I look at a video of King's Field I just can't imagine how people could even like such slow boring looking gameplay. Armored Core looks a lot better but it has that niche of being mecha games. So I'm not sure if I'd like it or not but it does look cool.

I, too, watched the newest Matthewmatosis video.

removing shields which was used as a crutch by most players and encouraged passive, boring play was a risk, but ultimately made the game better.

We all did bro...

In all seriousness though it isn't like he was wrong. That also doesn't mean the later Souls games were bad either.

It just made parrying safer. The loss of a block option is more than made up for with your increased mobility. I'm not saying I disagree with the decision, but I don't think From deserves a lot of credit for "innovating" there.

This.

I actually agree with him regarding DeS but he's being a bit of a retard with BB.

No Matthew, removing shields (which still actually exist, they just have more niche purposes) didn't actually make BB have less depth and shrugging off the moveset diversity of BB by saying "all these moves just do damage or sometimes hitstun" is a huge oversimplification.

>It just made parrying safer.

Can't quite understand why people say this when you still usually need to be straight up in front of an enemy while he's taking a swing at you in order to parry an enemy, which is exactly how it works in every other Souls game.

>and shrugging off the moveset diversity of BB by saying "all these moves just do damage or sometimes hitstun" is a huge oversimplification.

Explain

>Dark Souls 3 feels incredibly soulless. Like the soul of the game is lost when the series got popular.

God when will this shitty meme die? DaS3 is fucking fantastic.

So what niche purpose does the wooden plank shield have?

yeah no buddy

>tfw nothing will ever top ash lake

even before it, has any game created a moment like this?

There's nothing wrong with sequels when people are wanting more.

Pla against a BoMr1 spammer or anyone with a gun that isn't the cannon

So it is effectively PvP only then?

>ride the difficulty bandwagon
>when DS3 is the easiest game in the series

Nope

You are right. That area was so amazing seeing it for the first time. I got to see it on my second playthrough. Never knew of the area on my first playthrough.

Also NPC hunters

youtube.com/watch?v=Np5PdpsfINA&t=5m27s

Hence the usage of the word "niche", though it may work with NPC hunters (not sure).

This makes no sense. Why make something you expect to fail and lose money on?

i love bb but the combat has no depth at all

so do you guys often let other people do your thinking for you or is this a new meme

No I meant you explain why Matthew was wrong.

>what is every nier and drakengard game

>DeS
>First boss is literally a joke, complete with free stock sounds
>free stock sounds are everywhere throughout the game
>this is the 'best game of the series'

The project was considered kind of a disaster when Miyazaki took it over, so expectations were low. They were just trying to salvage it somehow, they didn't expect it to do well.

i want a new armored core game, souls is boring

It's actually like pottery, it rhymes.

With every game, the souls series becomes more soulless and hollow. Just like people in the games.

hi mathew can i be in the next video

why do people jack off so much about ash lake?
it's just an empty fucking beach with a few items and a hydra

I know, but neither does any other Souls game.

Explain why he's right.

Game plays exactly like Souls only faster and with more expansive movesets. How can it possibly be more shallow than DaS3?

Art style/direction

3 >>>>>>> 1 >> 2 >> BB >>>>>>>>>>>>DeS

>3 and fucking 2
>better art style than any of the other games

Full pleb.

from a purely gameplay perspective the only element of the entire soulsborne series that was ever strong was the way the levels wrapped back around

You probably genuinely believe that what you wrote there is a valid opinion.
Sorry to burst your bubble but you're objectively wrong friendo.

That's more the level design than the gameplay though.

its okay to be wrong, you don't need to try and defend yourselves

Fuck off already Matthewmatosis

Not really. They mostly rehashed the same mech games and dungeon crawlers for 15 years before striking gold with Demon's Souls and then rehashing that for nearly a decade.

I asked you first here buddy. He was saying that a lot of the new attack additions were redundant. However he still did give praise to things like the way back stabs work in BB but also gave criticism for how they went back to a similar backstab mechanic from previous games for the 3rd DS game.

So again where is he really wrong here?

the trees in the ashlake are holding the world. every piece of land, every mountain, ocean is above the trees of the ash lake, they are the pillars of the world.

its a boring area in gameplay terms, but it's concept and atmosphere are great (its the only purpose for the area)

This. The only reason Demon's Souls was such a breath of fresh air is because it expected to fail and Miyazaki was put in charge, so he was free to do weird and new shit because it was expected to fail anyways.

I think that's part of gameplay though, if you mute the game and delete all the text you still have to move around and navigate within the game world

the biggest tragedy is how the awesome old school Souls-tuber community is dead

what an odd thing to complain about

the atmosphere was so immaculate that i believe it must have been an accidental achievement by the developers and director. The bgm complements to this, probably one of the best pieces in the sountrack

its a prime example of rewarded exploration, as well as a testament of the massive world the game takes place in, important-landmark lore wise

also, its pretty and (excuse my necessary usage of the word) aesthetic

there isnt much to do, though meeting the ancient dragon is very rewarding

ye i bet that guy gets angrey at wilhelm screams LOL

>watch star wars
>everyone always talks about how the originals are the best
>they're filled to the brim with stock sounds
Pathetic....how can anyone like these?!

Not him, it true that all weapons do damage and stun like he sad. But they also require different ammounts of stat investment, some are well complimented by hunters tools, because of the stats they use. Some of them have ranged options. They vary in speed (start up, cooldown), range, damage type, some of them require some sacrifice to be fully functional (require bullets or health), some are better suited for charged attacks, some are better as fast weapons, few require a constant buffs to work properly, etc. I get what he was trying to say, but he is kinda being an ass about it.

Souls is pretty much its own genre now complete with a bunch of clones and spin off games

Bloodborne is the best game From have ever made. A game doesn't have to re-invent the wheel to be great. I do agree that consciously trying to "please the fans" is pretty much always a bad idea - gamers are fucking idiots, they don't know what they want.

He implied they were redundant because all these moves do is "deal a bit of damage or hitstun" which totally ignores things like the speed of that attack, what sort of state it puts the player in (ie, using a transformation attack while dodging with the bowblade to position yourself and deal ranged damage at the same time and transform your weapon) and the fact that not all of these animations are just attacks but things like buffs.
Transformation attacks are also being overlooked here since they allow you to change moveset on the fly in the middle of hitstunning an enemy with many weapons having transformations designed to deal with a totally different situation from the base form (like threaded cane going from short single-target attacks to long reach aoe attacks).

Again, how does BB have less going on that the block-and-strafe combat of DaS1 or the roll-spam quick-attack shitfest of DaS3?

DeS DaS and BB are the only games in the series that had any definitive vision and drive behind them

Fair enough, i personally would define gameplay as everything in the game i can directly influence or interact with in some shape or form but i dunno the actual definition if such a thing exists.

Stop listening to matthews videos religously

reiterpallasch + shield is effective, especially with loch shield to fuck up blood/arcane

i don't mind if they keep doing "fuck all" and just "spiritual sequels"
i think DaS was shit but hell i forced myself to even play DaS2

If DS3 was made to appeal to fans it would have been interconnected like said fans wanted.

>It seems like Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne were made to appeal to fans and ride the difficulty bandwagon.
No, that would be Dark Souls games in general.
Bloodborne was never marketed with a slogan like Prepare To Die.

The dipshit fanbase did that for them.
Hell, not even just the fanbase, most self-proclaimed game journalists were hyping the game up with phrases like "i can't wait to die over and over again lol".

>implying the fans give a shit about this

No one batted an eyelid when DaS3 turned out to be linear as fuck.

This. Sony actually did a good job marketing BB (unlike DeS) and did it tastefully.

Bamco have always gone full-retard with marketing DaS but I suppose it's why it got as popular as it is in the first place.

Because there wasn't much else to compare it to at the time aside from Ultima styled dungeon crawlers.

And i thought DS3 hate threads were gone. Well, it seems like this will be another time le olde "your opinion=shit my opinion=fact" meme appears.

it was used in trailers and the PC release is even called "prepare to die edition"

DaS3 is almost as bad as 2, if not worse in a lot of regards. The only great souls games are DeS, DaS, and BB but even then DaS is suspect for its second half

>Sony desperately needed a new IP and game for the PS3
>passed up on this making it exclusive forever and owning the IP rights forever

How did they drop the ball so badly

Fuck off Matthew

None of you fuckers bought any of those games anyway and you'd just hate them now because

THEY WOULDN'T BE SOULS GAMES

Because you're supposed to stumble upon it, people who can't appreciate it are the ones that just looked up how to get there.

I really can't consider BB to be part of the core line up. It removed a lot of the features that made true souls games fun

>It removed a lot of the features that made true souls games fun
Such as?

the best aspect of the souls games is how the environment is woven into the level design which BB excels at more than the dark games, Demon's is debatable

>Remember when From Software made innovate games that took many risks?
No I dont.

DeS wasnt innovative aside from its online. Everything else has been done before, much of it in their own past games.

That's what i'm talking about. OPINIONS=/= fact.

DaS being unfinished for a good portion of it is a straight up fact from the devs themselves.

WHERE THE FUCK IS MY NEW OTOGI GAME, FROM?!

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It's possible to look at a sequel objectively and judge it based off the merits its predecessors set. The only exception would be if the sequel brings in something really novel which DaS3 didn't with the exception of weapons arts which don't play a big part in the game.

Its funny how DeS and DaS1 are so highly regarded by almost everyone, but DaS3 and BB are divisive as fuck yet the fans of them usually cant see why.

everything in BB plays like a dex build, so build variety is out the door. There is almost no secrets or illusionary walls to be found anywhere. Armor variety is none existant, everything is a cringy fedora and coat. Utterly shit the bed with story telling now we have NPC info dumping on your left and right Invasions may as well be none existant

Can't speak for what changed in the DLC as I stopped playing shortly after launch. DS3 wasn't the best Souls title but it fixed a lot of BB's fuck ups

>BB
>divisive

butthurt PCu.cks don't count

>muh boogeymans
I have it on ps4 and only played it once, it was fun but I just dont see myself touching it again. I still go back to DeS and DaS1 when I get bored and want that kind of gameplay.

Chromehounds

>BB
>divisive

A loud minority on Sup Forums want you to believe this.

it's hilarious when you say DaS3 fixed a lot of BB's fuck ups but it has the same problems exacerbated. Since you judged BB based off when it came out I'll judge DaS3 when it came out, no viable builds existed outside of short/longswords because they were all trash (a lot are still trash to this day like faith). BB has a lot more exploration and secret/optional areas than the linear as fuck DaS3. DaS3 has more NPC info dumps than BB with all the questlines and invasions are FUCKING terrible in DaS3 because you get paired against 4 phantoms + seed with nerfed healing/health 90% of the time unless you go to a fightclub or something.

Post timestamp pc cuck

>BB
>divisive

i hate you faggots that shit on 3. weapon arts were highly innovative. if you actually took an hour to play all of the games back to back you'd be forced to take of your nostalgia goggles and see that 3 is the best.

Sega owns it.

Like clockwork.
You literally cant think BB isnt the best shit ever.

I prefer evergrace and eternal ring over any souls shit faggots