Does Kirby need innovation?

I see Kirbyfags all the time talking about have they have no bad games, it's all quality and consistent, but all the same I struggle to think of a Kirby game that really wows me, none of them are terrible but none of them are bombastic, it's almost like they play it too safe, and this new game seems to be no different.

Coming off the coattails of BOTW and with Odyssey on the way, I cant help but look at this and think WOW ANOTHER KIRBY GAME. Is it time Kirby shake the formula up too?

HAL talked about doing a 3D Kirby a couple years or so ago, so I think that'll happen one day at least.

They've been experimenting on how it works with the 3D Blast side games but they have to find a way to keep the controls simple enough to stay true to Kirby norm.

From an outsider's perspective the kirby games do seem to lack a lot of innovation, and they pretty much do I guess but each one has small changes between. And also they're really cute and fun to play so I never mind getting a new one even if its similar to the others.
But if they don't appeal to you don't sweat it, not all games have to :^)

Need?
No, not necessarily.
But it would be nice to see more experimentation and different games like Mass Attack or Canvas Curse. The core gameplay of a normal Kirby game is good (at least to the people who play and like the games, which I am part of). It's at a point where I do have some modicum of confidence in HAL since they have shown time and time again with games like Robobot and Boxboy! that they are capable of making great new stuff, but the current gameplay seems to work well enough with some minor changes as such that it feels kind of like a "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" scenario. I just don't know.

Not every game needs to be a 10/10 masterpiece, there is a reason why those are special.
I like how consistent the Kirby games are, it won't knock me off the park but I always know I will be getting something valuable. It's the Slice of Life of video games.

Just give me more crystal shard like kirby and we gucci. I don't want more stories about kirby losing his fucking strawberry short cakes.

I'd really like to see Kirby do something completely unexpected one day. Robobot was definitely a welcome surprise and a step in that direction. What I'd like to see is 64/Klonoa style levels that weave in and out of 3D space again, with super lush environments and plenty of secrets. Perhaps even taking a page out of Mario World's book with a cohesive over world and hundreds of secret exits and branching level progressions that utilize the various copy abilities.

Also I'd love to see them try and bring the Dreamland 3 pastel look into a 3D artstyle. I bet they'd nail it given how great current Nintendo handles it's craft styled visuals.

I just want a really difficult hard mode.

Like, have the first world be True Arena difficulty. I want a Kirby game that will kick my fucking ass and force me to push myself.

Keep the normal easy mode because that's what the series is built on. That's good for the kids and first time vidya players the series is aimed at, and for people who just want more comfy safe Kirby - there's nothing wrong with that. But as someone who started playing Kirby 20ish years ago, I have no interest in most of the new games. Not just cause it's the same but cause they're just too easy for me to even enjoy. A lot of Kirby games actually have lots of cool things you can do with the powers, especially the KSS type ones where powers have plenty of moves, but you almost never need to use them.

I liked the challenge courses in dream collection a lot because getting the best medals actually took effort. I want more of that, more fast fun crazy Kirby power action. Have it be an option from the beginning and not something that needs to be unlocked, and you'd have a Kirby game I'd buy. I think a lot of long time fans would appreciate this option.

The hard mode in the very first Kirby was great. I want that but with all the updates made to modern Kirby gameplay. And to be a bit harder than that challenge mode was.

theyve experimented and proven that 3D movement really doesnt work well at all
honestly its better to take a concept that works and slowly expand on it instead of trying to innovate for no reason

Kirby doesn't need innovation, please don't ruin my favorite franchise like paper mario or fire emblem.

In any 1 kirby game you go through so many different movesets as you play the game that it always feels refreshing

>only kirby thread on Sup Forums right now
unrelated, but GiM is one of the screwiest enemy designs in the kirby series imo

Yes, Kirby needs innovation. It needs to figure out how to do 3D, and really bring Dream Land to life. It needs to figure out how to do new things with Kirby and his abilities. Even early, 8-bit titles like Kirby's Dream Land and Kirby's Adventure felt like you were traversing a cohesive world, full of life. Each classic Kirby game either introduced something totally new, that can be used freely to experiment, or polished it up into something even better. If a 3D Kirby has to have clunky controls, lifeless worlds, floating cubes, a static camera, and the generic enemies we've seen a million times, while the game Donkey Kong can eventually evolve into Super Mario Odyssey, then there's nobody of worth left at Hal Laboratory.

I just want a sequel to Air Ride with online multiplayer

If he doesn't come back in Kirby Switch I'm going to be unsurprisingly disappointed.

perhaps?

Hardly. From the trailer it's pretty evident that the combinations will only be either applying elements to another ability, or one-time combination attacks like the curling stone.

>implying Wheel will be in Kirby Switch
>implying combos that aren't just SqSq imbuements will be fully fledged abilities
>implying combo abilities will get their own helpers

wheel is too essential for an anniversary game to leave it out, especially in one with helpers
and i can dream, dammit

It does. Rainbow Curse was the first true stinker of the series, and Triple Deluxe is just Return to Dreamland-lite. Planet Robobot is just a mod.

50% of the time Kirby is innovation.
Half of the current available Kirby games are experiments.

>wheel is too essential for an anniversary game to leave it out
What are we, made of money? That's too much effort to make all the helpers able to ride it, with 2 other players there would be too much experimentation, and there aren't shoulder rides in this one because that would require too many animations for something superfluous. You want helpers, or do you want fluff? Wheelie would make 4-player Kirby gameplay too confusing, anyway. And how would we give Wheelie a hat, to set the helper apart? Just put it right between his handlebars? That would look ridiculous.

So what power combo are you guys hoping to see again?

Fridge for me

oh please
helpers could ride each other like in RtDL, and whoever's carrying everyone can act normally
it really shouldn't be that hard to pull off
it would end up just like wheelie rider in super star

and they can do whatever for the hats, it really isnt that big of a deal

i feel wheel will be a weapon instead of an element

Better luck next time.

That seems like a rather superfluous argument given that they were preparing to do exactly all that in the GCN game, they just scrapped it because it didn't turn out how they wanted. The Wheel hat thing is a good point, though. Maybe they'll just have the old standby and have plain Wheels but helpers are Wheelie Riders.

Lightsaber was the GOAT Kirby ability

>they were preparing to do exactly all that in the GCN game
And look how that turned out. It was a bad idea then, it's a bad idea now. What do you want, real helpers and real abilities or confusing garbage?
>Maybe they'll just have the old standby and have plain Wheels but helpers are Wheelie Riders.
What, just the plain black tube? Those don't stand out at all, so they'll hit people who can't notice them, and even if people looked really hard for them nobody would recognize them as Wheelies.

>tfw switch kirby has 4 players so i thought that we were getting a return to the amazing mirror map

I highly doubt the one mechanic that actually survived the canceled game and made it into RtDL was the reason the entire project was canned. I don't know what logic you have where some helpers and abilities are "real" and some aren't.

>hose don't stand out at all, so they'll hit people who can't notice them, and even if people looked really hard for them nobody would recognize them as Wheelies

Please don't tell me you have this problem. I honestly can't fathom that this is an actual issue people would have. I could recognize those shits at 5 years old.

>implying wheel isnt a real ability & wheel isnt a helper
>actually nitpicking about the old wheelie's design, which was used in kss(u), nitd, and amazing mirror, and worked in all of them
this has to be bait

>[piggybacking] was a bad idea then, its a bad idea now
umm

Is this the borb thread?

its certainly shaping up to be one, it seems

Wheelie + "piggybacking" + 4-player is a terrible idea. In RtDL it wasn't a big deal. There was no wheelie, and only 3 skeletons to make that pose for (Kirby + Waddle Dee, Meta Knight, and King Dedede). For helpers, there would be many different skeletons to make that pose for. If there was a Wheelie in the mix, you would be constantly leaving each other behind, too, since there are 2 other characters to worry about. There's a reason Wheel wasn't in RtDL.

big deal
so the other players turn into stars and follow player one, just like in super star
and as for the skeletons, its clear that the devs are going all out with this, so animation for each helper should definitely be a priority

the only thing i see a problem with is other people piggybacking kirby while he's in wheel form

I disagree

Robobot blew me the fuck away, it was such a great game that it's my favorite in the series now

Kirby doesn't really need to change, it just needs variation and LORE

>tfw I didn't figure out that Star Dream attacks you with the objects stuck on NOVA the first time around

>one of Nintendo's most popular franchises that shits out triple-A games at an alarming rate
>lol no would take too long

>Kirby
>triple-A
Kirby hasn't had one in over a decade. Every Kirby game is a budget title in one way or another, one A at best.

what was the last good kirby game in your opinion, then?

I was thinking about this the other day, Kirby games reuse most of their enemies, music and gameplay elements but we always play the games and adore them. How can they get away with it?

Ssu and am were both amazing to me

You don't know what AAA means.

It's hard to say... You would think the same old formula would get boring... But I still tend to enjoy kirby games. It's like the only nintendo related thing that hasn't dropped in quality.

Kirby 64 did wow me a few times.

The final boss and the Boss Rush are still some of my favorite video game memories, even though the vast majority of people who played that game didn't experience them.

Answer the question user

>the wii game didn't even sell as well as the n64 game, despite being on a much more popular platform
Are they?

system seller
like zelda or mario
once again,
what was your last good kirby game

>the only thing i see a problem with is other people piggybacking kirby while he's in wheel form
Wouldn't be too difficult to just model Kirby after a wheelie rider, except maybe with a star instead of an eye, while being ridden on.

>my children's game about a pink puff ball living in a world of soft cute characters needs a tense and dramatic narrative
autism

>Kirby

>A children's game

>

Well they have been changing the plot consistently and keeps on escalating in Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot

>shows classic kirby
>"WAH KIRBY LOOKS TOO PLAIN"
>redesigns kirby to be more hip
>"WHY DID THEY CHANGE KIRBY FUCKING JEWS DESTROYING CLASSIC STUFF FOR MONEY"
I guess you don't appreciate things until they're gone.

This, the teams behind Kirby are autistic. Look at the atmosphere for Kirby's Dream Land, look at the atmosphere for shit like Kirby 3 or Kirby 64. What the fuck were they thinking? Why do you need edgy faggots and serious themes in a fucking game about a fucking pink ball? It's fucking retarded, just keep Dedede like Mario kept Bowser. You don't see Mario facing inner termoil, losing friends in battle, and fighting terror gods of space and time or such autistic fucking nonsense. Kirby hasn't been good since that shitty twist in the NES game.

ah yes I remember the days
playing planescape torment while I was at recess in elementary school
truly, we are an enlightened bunch :^)\

Oh sweet, is this a Kirby thread?

>I want my final bosses to be fucking boring
>I want Dedede to be behind it every time
Mario fans actually complain about Bowser being used as the big bad over and over, at least in RPGs.

I will never understand people who get legitimately upset at Teen Titans Go for not being serious like the old show. It's the best long-form trolling I've ever seen

but that'd probably be too much of a change to wheel's design
maybe he can gain a seat only while he's carrying helpers
or maybe only wheelie bikes can be ridden
i dunno, its a pretty superficial thing as it stands and the game devs are probably gonna have much better ideas than any of us here anyway

not gonna really go into it but it sure can be a little more tense than compared to say the original dreamland
more recent titles like the kumazaki trilogy along with certain classics like shimomura's games have narratives that are a little darker, and those were all kinds of spectacular

It's Nintendo's fifa, retards are still buying it every year so why stop now?

>redesigns kirby to be more hip
They literally designed him to be less hip. Compared to the older games like Adventure and Superstar he's less angry, less manly, and more cutesey, his traits of being lazy and clutzy were amplified, they redesigned his personality and mannerisms to be even more childlike, and gave him a baby voice to seal the deal. Where have you been?

Where you one of the guys I was talking to 2 days ago in the AM2R thread?

Kirby should get a massive "metroidvania" style game.
And by that I really only mean a traditional Kirby game. But with all of the levels connected into one absolutely massive game world as opposed to small little stages.

And then you'd unlock various secrets. Like taking the ice power from one side of the map all the way over to another part of the map. Perhaps stacking up on followers made from rare powers and then use different powers in succession if you managed to get to a certain point with your whole crew still together and so on.

And you could remove the infinite jumping and have it like in Smash. But then you could have power ups giving you additional air time, and eventually infinite jumping.
Stronger suck power ups.
Stronger spit power ups.
Power specific power ups.
Power combinations.

And you could unlock powers so that they'd be readily available for you to pick at your save station safe-houses/rooms/whatever throughout the world map. So that you could get access to certain powers without necessarily having to travel to remote corners of the map every time.

I don't know. I feel like it's a concept that could be well worth exploring.

Holy cow, I want that Waddle Dee in front.

Kind of like a modern Hebereke.

I'd say otherwise, the surprise Nightmare battle was fantastic. Plus King Dedede is becoming more of a final boss nowadays which I really appreciate.

I Don't think a new look for Kirby is in order. Mario looks prettymuch the same as he did in 64 with a much better model.

His games just need some sort of spice to make them all not blend together so much. Like a change of setting or some new mechanic that says "this is the reason I have to play this game"

Nothing about the new Kirby trailer has grabbed me much beyond the Wii Kirby. I Don't know if there are going to be any surprises or levels designed in exciting new ways.

Kirby is kind of like the cute platformer equivalent of a CoD campaign. Their levels always hit the same notes and keep the experience nice and breezy without a lot of surprises or twists, but over time they have started to seriously blend together as a result.

Innovation is nothing but a meme, but Kirby is also stagnant as fuck with three games in a row that do the exact same shit but slightly better execution each time while in the past Kirby shook up its structure and improved its mechanics constantly

The new game on Switch seems to be the first one since Amazing Mirror or Canvas Curse to be making any real good shakeups

dumb question but i wonder if the american kirby glare counts as a redesign
less of a kawaii pink dreampuff and more of a tiny ball of infinite power

tbqh both descriptions are becoming more true as of recent games, considering the villains thereof

I want to die and go to that kirby plushie paradise.

That game is cool.

>innovation is a meme

Pack it up, everyone! No need to keep making video games. The craft has reached its peak

luckily paradise only costs >$300 for a plane ticket
no death necessary
okay maybe if you dont have a good job for it but ymmv

Great to see Taranza, Magolor, and Susie there. But I am surprised that Marx is there, does this mean HAL is going to do something with to him soon?

Rainbow Curse was fine my dude.

I have the money but my vacations start until December.

Rainbow curse was great even

>be kirby
>have shit games
>be pink so people like me
Nintendo is truly the ruse master.

i doubt it
marx getting killed twice was enough i think
its probably because kssu was one of the biggest and best kirby games to date, and HAL somehow decided "hey it needs more recognition or somehting"

though im a bit surprised that ol Haltmann didnt get a plush
he seems perfectly round for it
all thats left is sectonia but i'd bet that'd cost way too much to manufacture

While I think innovating just for the sake of innovating is a bad idea, I do agree they could shake up Kirby a bit more. That 3D game they've been hinting at for a while now could be that breath of fresh air. Though I don't know how they'd make it different from its other 3D platforming contemporaries. My personal fever dream is either a slick DMClike Kirby beat em up, with gameplay that involve you sucking up enemies and changing powers mid combo or a Kirby rpg.

The amazing mirror crossed with a bullet hell. its all i need.

With how it's used in video games it pretty much is nothing but a meme these days. True innovation in the medium is long dead.

In my opinion the extra mode for Return to Dreamland was really great in that you had less health and the enemies attack more viciously than before. Plus the black and white void area is pretty tense with the purple matter going much faster. It just sucks that you need to complete the main game first to unlock it rather than getting it at first or at least inputting a code like what the original Dreamland games did. But they're still great fun either way.

Nintendo of America in the 90's until around the Wii always tried to make their games less "cartoony." Just look at the whole "Play It Loud" era. It wasn't until the Wii when they decided to just drop it and just embrace the cartoony look of their games. Funny because 3DS Kirby games both had covers with the evil smile on both covers.

>Be a closet faggot
>Hate Kirby because pink reminds you your repressed homosexuality.

Aside from anger eyes, Kirby's design has never changed all that much. He definitely hasn't been made to look hip or anything. His eyes got bigger and he got more pink, that's it.

Well the Kumazaki games do bring these games to life in my opinion. Each area does something new and different from other worlds, and feels like you're visiting different areas of the world unlike the 2D Mario games.

>be user
>have to project this hard because meany made fun of my childrens game

Kirby is a series pumped pretty small budget and short development cycles. The series do extremely well sales-wise on that formula and it's the perfect thing to throw out when a system is having a drought considering how easy they are to make.

Mainline Kirby does need to take a step forward if it wants to impress people again instead of being cute but forgotten shortly after release, but there's no real incentive for it. I don't think Hal has the capability of doing it either to be honest, they seem to be a pretty tiny studio and haven't done anything besides Kirby sidescrollers and e-shop games since Air Ride under Sakurai's guidance.

You not liking the Kirby games is fine, just find something you enjoy is all that matters.

But just how MUCH innovation do you really want, OP? Careful what you wish for...

I can't help but think you're dumb

The very concept of trying new things out with gameplay and the medium is a meme?

If this were true I'd probably be done with games. I don't subscribe to the Activision/Call of Duty philosophy of game design

Best part of the 25th anniversary website right here.

>some guy tried something new and fucked up once, so all games should now be the same!!

Kirby doesn't need a radical change, there just needs to be some new ideas in the level design and additions to the core game mechanics

Lets hope for a direct sooner or later. I'm very curious as to what the new game will play like.

>Does Kirby need innovation?
100% yes. Nintendo has done a great job of expanding their other franchises (Zelda went full open world, Pokemon ditched a bunch of series staples, the Mario series is going fucking bonkers with Odyssey) , but kirby always feels same-y.

I don't even know how they'd change it up, maybe something like this though Amazing mirror was fun, but it wasn't really a metroidvania per se, and it definitely lacked the progression of one.

Something that might be cool is adding an RPG like element, where you can upgrade copy powers by using them, etc

>local man drowns in cute plushies
>becomes a fad and all wars end

They literally made a Metroid Prime Pinball and no one gave a fuck. Federation Force was fine it's just people hated it because there was no real Metroid game coming out. If Federation Force was announced beside Prime 4 and Metroid 2 Remake everyone would look at Federation Force the same way people looked at Triforce Heroes. Just a random game that some might just pick up and enjoy or not but not have no real hate for it.