Metroid 2 Remake coming out soon. Enjoy what you seen? Excited for it? Any worry outside of the developer?

Metroid 2 Remake coming out soon. Enjoy what you seen? Excited for it? Any worry outside of the developer?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qPkYwsvkWac
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Looking forward to it. Seems like Mercury Steam are mostly just coding which makes me less worried. Will get it on release day.

Wasn't really worried when I heard Mercury Stream. Mostly because I feel Nintendo would hold their feet to the fire more so than Konami.

Not really worried at all, going off of the footage they've shown off so far. Would like to just see some straight-up gameplay footage without people talking over it though.

It looks really good and I'm excited

I'm so fucking hyped you have no idea. I've been watching the Treehouse streams over and over and it just looks so good.

Seeing as the 3D trailer isn't on the EU eShop, I decided to download the Mirrors of Fate demo to get an idea for it. Despite everything, the 3D is amazing in it.

I'm interested. The only Metroid game I've really played was the one with SA-X. This one looks really good though.

*̴͍̘̫͍̝̦̭̫͙̙̝͓͒̓̒ͭ̌͑̈́ͣ̎ͯ̽͗̐ͬ̄͢͠͝B̸̭͈̭̪̼͍̰̱̞̖͖͉͈̰́̐̾͐͆̍ͮ̇ͣ̚͢͜l̝̗̳̬̫̻͌̐̾ͯ͒ͧͯ̀ȯ̖̼̩̭͇̙̹̩͉͗̓͒̉̓̊̊ͦ̐̃̌̉̐̃͊ͭ̕͘c̶̣̯̫̝̟̃̃̔̄ͪͧ̎͒ͣ̋̿̀̆͛ͦ͞k̢̺̠̯̩̪̳̠̹̩͖̼̙̳̙̩̝̎ͭ̐ͣ͊ͪ͗͐̋́̚͟͟s̛̰͈̬̙̦̖͈̮̖̠͖̳͎̄ͨ͛̈́͐ͦ́̌ͣ͟ ̴̴̢͇͔̭̭̬͓̰̬̥͕̗̞̩̩̫͔̝̈ͭͦ̈̓̓͆̆̊̏͢y̧̝͍̩͔͓͙̤̠̼̼̪͖͇͍̋̄͒ͯ̆ͩͮ̉ͨ͆͑ͧͪ͊̀o̷̴̧͈̰̜̥͖͇͙̺̠̱͓͎͋̌̍͆̋̈̋͟u̢͕̫͎̦̣͕̩̥̟̜ͮ̋̓̐̃͟͞͞r̡̛̮̰̬͇̫̺̥͔̖̻̯ͯͬ̃̚ ̷̴̻͉̰̞̞̻̪̠̫͍̙͉̤̖͙̥̓̽̓ͮ̔̓̈́̀́p̢̭̜͈̼̻̼̬̮̪̝͕̠̆͋ͦ͋̈́ͩ̐͗̀̚ͅa̢̡͍̗̣͔͔̯̜̱̞̺̮ͮ͒̉̈́ͯ͗́͗ͭ̊̈̿ͫ̚̚͝ͅt̼̖̮̟͍̘̝̱̼̰̭̟̜̓̒͆ͮ͋̒͆͌̔̓ͬ̈́̃́͞h̵̨̗̱̝̜͔̫̞̫̗̟̻͚̗̥̣̰̘ͫ̿ͣ̎͛ͤ̎̋ͦ̈̒́̚*̶̞͍̘͉̦͉͙̩̳̯̦̟̬͍͑͛̌̋̀̈ͨ͒ͦ̎̎̎͞

Don't really get the concerns, I've watched the entire Treehouse stream, looks like what you'd expect from a 2D Metroid.

BOO!

>Don't really get the concerns

Shitposters and Primefags.

>Enjoy what you seen
No not really

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
(Seriously though how did a GBA game get a reputation for having a genuinely sp00ky antagonist?)

But Primefags enjoy 2D Metroids. It's the 2D fags that constantly shit on Prime.

The only thing I don't like about it is that I have to wait three months. I already pre-ordered the burgerclap special edition.

still can't believe this was only revealed after the presentation in first nintendo treehouse my god that was so exciting

I don't think so. Primefags are the most annoying crybabies I've ever seen.

There are actually five distinct factions in the Metroid fanbase, at least on Sup Forums. Don't get them confused with one another.
>2Dfags who only like the 2D games
>Primefags who only like the Prime games
>Metroidfags who like both the 2D games and the Prime games
>Samusfags who don't even like the games and just drool over Samus
>Tubeposters

>Seeing as the 3D trailer isn't on the EU eShop
ALL OF MY RAGE!

Regarding OP, the only worry I have is that I will miss out on the Special Edition because Amazon STILL does not have it for pre-order even though they already got Metroid Prime 4 for pre-order.

>Tfw Europe has the superior collector's version.

Shit it going to sell out fast. It sold out in 10 mins on Amazon.es

Nice revisionist history you got there mate.

Is there no one to order one myself? Or will I have to buy it off ebay or something?

Mercury steam

Pre-orders haven't gone up in most places yet, only Amazon.es that I know of.

But I like the 2D games AND I think samus a cute

The linearity meant they could specifically set up the perfect encounters to spook you.
Plus since it wasn't actually a full on horror game or have the Sax be a dumb roaming AI you didn't run into the problem of getting overspooked and it not being scary anymore.

Yeah.
DESU everyone talks about how fusions linearity always turns up on how that kinda worked to distinguish a game in a series of giants.
Fusion feels like the appreciated underdog desu
(That may be me justifying the link cable so I can get the fusion suit in prime)

I've seen barely any Prime fans who actively dislike the 2D games. There's a lot who prefer Prime to the 2D games but not really in the hostile way 2D fans attack Prime.

And don't forget Super Metroid fanboys who dismiss every other game in the series.

Fusion and Metroid Prime 3 had nice ideas but at no point did it really feel like a Metroid game. Excited about Metroid 2 and crossing my fingers about Prime 4 but we don't even know anything about it.

Do you think this game will sell well?

Mercury Steam made everyone worry. With me I cring when they asked Sakamoto why Metroid 2 and he just said how the baby metroid is super important. Nothing to do with the game itself but Sakamoto really seem to never let go of that fucking baby metroid.

I don't have worries because the game looks fine and I'm not a jaded nostalgiafag.
With that said, I can't wait for the game.

The baby Metroid is an important part of Metroid 2 though. You'd know if you played it.

Burger here, judging from the trailer, the 3D effects really look great, some of the best I've ever seen on the 3DS. I never use 3D but I just might keep it on at all times for this game.

I have never meet anyone that only liked the Prime games. I've meet that felt Prime 1 was the best Metroid but never one that felt Super and Zero Mission were not really good.

I played it and I know. Just hearing him talk about the baby metroid gives me PTSD from Other M.

>Primefags
>>Primefags are happy that we're getting a new 2D Metroid

It's AM2Rfags that shitpost

Fusion > Prime > Prime 2 > Super > Prime 3 > Zero Mission > Other M > Return of Samus > Metroid

>counting the Prime games as Metroid games

Why does everyone shit on Other M? I liked what I played of it.

>Personal Favorites
Super Metroid and Metroid Prime Trilogy

>Great
Metroid: Fusion and Metroid: Zero Mission

>Decent
Metroid and Metroid Prime: Hunters

>Mediocre
Metroid II: Return of Samus and Metroid Prime: Pinball

>Bad
Metroid: Other M and Metroid Prime: Federation Force

>These are fan-games but they're good enough to be worth a mention
AM2R and Hyper Metroid

>Takes issue with the Prime games and not Other M
It's almost like you're just here to shitpost.

Because it's a meme at this point, started by Prime faggots. Other M was great.

>Metroid I and II worse than Other M

Anyone who played it after the shitstorm that ensued with the fans disappointment had said the game is alright. It's only the hardcore fans that had ridiculous expectations that shit on it because it wasn't the next Prime game or had revolutionary gameplay. The game is quite good and pays homage to a lot of Metroid traditions, while being its own thing and upping the action and over the top factor.

Now watch as someone posts that infograph detailing all the "faults" with the game.

Because it lacked core gameplay elements and shat all over pretty much every other game as well as Samus as a character.

youtube.com/watch?v=qPkYwsvkWac

>Because it lacked core gameplay elements

The Prime games lacked way, way more Metroid gameplay elements than Other M did.

>horrific unskippable story
>the most linear game in the series to date
>terrible controls
>awful forced point and click segments
>the ability to refill health on your own
>dull simplified combat
>boring environments
>bland orchestral soundtrack
>basically a worse version of Fusion
>no exploration, game actually blocks you off from exploring
>authorization mechanic instead of finding power-ups yourself is demeaning both from a story perspective and a gameplay perspective

And that has what to do with Other M being a bad game?

I respect your opinion but there is nothing about Other M that's fun.
>Switching between sideways control to pointer was awful
>Pixel scanning
>Controlling in a 3D way with a D-Pad doesn't work
>Linear mapping
I mean the force horrible story with headache inducing voice work alone makes me not want to play but gameplay wise it's not a good game let alone a good Metroid game.

The gameplay itself is mediocre, but the characterization of Samus (right down to the voice acting) was what pushed it way too far into the deep end.

In 1991, Cafe Nintendo makes a chocolate chip cookie. People like this chocolate chip cookie.

Over the decades, Chef Sakamoto keeps putting out chocolate chip cookies with more salt. The sales for Sakamoto’s salty cookies go down. Cafe Nintendo does not respond to the market. Instead, Cafe Nintendo keeps trying to sell Sakamoto’s increasingly salty cookies.

An amateur cook puts out a chocolate chip cookie with more chocolate. Everyone celebrates! If only Cafe Nintendo would put out chocolate chip cookie with more chocolate or, at least, without the salt.

Cafe Nintendo’s response is to send thugs to the amateur chef, bust up his kitchen, beat his ass, and destroy any existence of the chocolate chip cookie with more chocolate.

Cookie eaters are stunned. Why did Cafe Nintendo do this? “We are protecting our IP.” (IP stands for Intellectual Property which applies equally across products including cookies.)

The truth of this situation is that AM2R is not the issue. The truth of the situation is that IP is also not the issue.

This is all about one thing: Sakamoto.

Stop talking about AM2R. Talk about Sakamoto. Nintendo is circling the wagons around Sakamoto.

>food analogy

>food analogy

>2Dfags who only like the 2D games
>Samusfags who don't even like the games and just drool over Samus
Massive faggots.
>Metroidfags who like both the 2D games and the Prime games
>Tubeposters
Patrician af.

>381898630
>381897806
>>horrific unskippable story
Opinions
>>the most linear game in the series to date
All games are linear, and only Metroid Prime has done exploration right with the lore scans. Deviating from the main course, only to find extra power ups and end up slightly more powerful than you should is not good exploration.
>>terrible controls
They are not confortable, but the controls were adapted very nicely, despite the controller.
>>awful forced point and click segments
I give you this, because there's two instances were the precision of the click arra was ridiculously tiny.
>>the ability to refill health on your own
Which is not to full health, and can't do it properly during battle unless you were skilled enough or lucky.
>>dull simplified combat
Are you saying that the slow, floaty combat of Super is exciting? Because that shit is just boring and easy.
>>boring environments
Opinions, and the sterile ambience should do wonders for atmosphere, unless you want to move the goalposts and say that good atmosphere is having a shit ton of stuff on the environment.
>>bland orchestral soundtrack
Agreed, the music is a huge low in this game.
>>basically a worse version of Fusion
It's fusion in 3D with a worse story and different emphasis on combat. They are almost the same.
>>no exploration, game actually blocks you off from exploring
Again, exploring is only done right in Prime.
>>authorization mechanic instead of finding power-ups yourself is demeaning both from a story perspective and a gameplay perspective
This is anime bullshit. I agree that it's jarring the first time, but it's not common to find moments in anime where the character goes all "oh, I forgot I had this! It's time to use THAT!". It also has to do with Samus seeing Adam as not only an authority figure, but as a father, and has other story implications.
I'm not defending it, because it looks silly even today, but it's time people stop this "submissive Samus" meme.

>Could have been a nice thread about Metroid Samus Returns
>Once again gets taken over by Primefags

You people are why Metroid has such a bad rep now

This was meant for

Metroid threads are only tolerable when people are discussing gameplay, so don't even bother until September.

>This is anime bullshit. I agree that it's jarring the first time, but it's not common to find moments in anime where the character goes all "oh, I forgot I had this! It's time to use THAT!". It also has to do with Samus seeing Adam as not only an authority figure, but as a father, and has other story implications.
>I'm not defending it, because it looks silly even today, but it's time people stop this "submissive Samus" meme.
Samus is known to destroy planets and element races. If the game went "look your weapons are way too powerful and we need to know how the structure of the ship is before you start using even a missile" I honestly would have been fine with it. It at least acknowledge her being insanely powerful. But the idea of her not even using plasma beam against fucking Ridley or her not using her suit in lava was one of the dumbest thing I have ever seen.

More people talking about Other M which always leads to annoying back and forth. Primefags are happy anyways since 4 coming and everyone seem to be happy as fuck for Return.

I finished Metroid Prime today. The first game I played in the series was MP2 (which was my first GameCube game), never got to complete it because I got stuck and got too stressed playing the game.

Why the fuck do people praise the first one so hard? The level design is great and all, but all bosses except 2 (+ maybe the tutorial boss) are shit. I recall them being way better in Echoes and MP 3 (but the level design was worse in those games). Super and AM2R have a bit of both, why was Retro unable to glue it all together?

Retro got better at making bosses in 2 and 3. They didn't do badly for their first try though.

>Why the fuck do people praise the first one so hard?
Because the people who played it when it came out remember how big a step forward it was, of course you're not going to be as impressed if you play later titles first. If you haven't played Half Life 2 you'll find it underwhelming for the same reasons, HL2 changed shooting games and everyone holds it up as a gold standard but if you go back from a modern shooting game you won't see anything particularly impressive.

Samus always loses her powerups in some way or another, how is that not dumb of her? Maybe because it's videogame, but people always want explanations for everything Samus does. If thats the case, the only times where her depowering was done right (again) are in both Prime and Prime 2.

>running into things at the speed of sound and killing them with kinetic energy
>slow, floaty combat

>Samus fights her enemies exclusively with the speed booster in Super

I never really questioned it because it's just a game. I never really cared about having to find the powers. The issue with Other M is that it made no god damn sense. She literally lost all survival instinct by just refusing to even use her plasma gun against dumb ass Ridley. I'm not even getting into the dumb ass idea of her turning into a crying little girl by looking at him after destroying him twice and having be saved by a random NPC.

Neither stated nor implied. If you want we could go into beam speed and what exactly you think is floaty about the game.

I played Prime when it first came out and was utterly disappointed. It felt nothing like what Metroid should have in 3D.

Thankfully, Fusion came out around the same time.

>Other M Samus and ZS
>Aeons seem OP
>so does the melee counter

I'm cautiously optimistic but I can't say I'm hype beyond reason.

As far as I got it, Samus obeyed all of Adams most ridiculous orders because she used to be a contrarian, edgy girl that always had complaints with his orders and wanted to have her way because she had the Varia Suit and thought she was hot shit. It's when she grew up that not following orders can get people in trouble or get everyone killed, that's why she decides to not use her weapons unless "her captain" (Adam) told her to do so. Of course, I know you will say "but why the Varia Suit too if that shit allows her to live?", well, I thinks that's purely for drama and for gameplay design. I really don't think they meant for Adam to kill Samus or anything. Adam does try to make Samus take more risk than she deserves because he sees her as a daughter (as much as Samus sees him as a father) and by doing that he's "punishing her" in a way, because of the way she just decided to be on her own and be an ungrateful brat, when she decided to leave the ranks of the GF.
Of course, it comes weird and makes him like a murderous bastard. Again, it's Japanese anime tropes, and maybe Japan only can get some of Adams actions, because the way the father and son/daughter relationships work in Japan are way different than the west.

>Other M Samus
The Varia Suit is a total redesign though.
It resembles fucking Dark Samus more than anything.

Well, it is important. It's the big plot point of Super and it saved Samus' life in Fusion.

>It felt nothing like what Metroid should have in 3D.
How so?

Thats not true?

Also every weapon is obsolete once you get the wave/plasma beams normally so having abilities that might still be worth using could be a good thing.

>Other M Samus and ZS

Get your eyes checked user.

Please learn to read. The Zero Suit in the remake is the one from Other M complete with big wedge heels, and so is the Samus wearing it. The Varia is obviously not what I was referring to.

>the biggest plot element of half the games
>still a major plot element ion the 4th game

Nah your right, the last survivor of a genocide has nothing to do with metroid or samus' plot.

Just saying that this game right after Super. And we can list all the things she did in 1, 2 and Super. And after all that just allow Ridley to grab her and go into weird ass PTSD and having Adam to give her to go ahead to fight Ridley at no point makes any sense. I get the idea of her being taking orders from Adam but my god it's like she has no fucking brains of her own in that whole game. I'm not really going into the whole "submissive Samus" like you said just that at that point in time she had enough combat experience to not really have that issue. And the only reason I'm talking about that is because Sakamoto want us the player to think Adam was this super awesome great guy that Samus named her AI after. But the whole game it felt like Adam didn't give a fuck about Samus and Samus was too braindead to know what's best for her.

Getting hyped for any game nowadays is usually a bad habit, but I'm pretty excited for this. The only worry I have is that I haven't seen instances of Samus shooting in a direction other than forwards without the free aim mode.

It's also going in a pretty different direction from AM2R, so both games will still have their own merits.

>when she decided to leave the ranks of the GF.
nice headcanon

She worked with them but was never part of their ranks.

Dunno about you man but I always hated that I can't walk backwards or have some counter up my sleeve when a stronger mob is approaching me in 2d metroids. Having that extra option there is only gonna make things more interesting imo.

The problem with the games from 1 to Super is that cinematics weren't really the focus during the time. Whenever Samus encountered a boss, she didn't react in any way because the game was not made to be cinematic and have dramatic pauses to see Samus' reactions and shit.
Also, she's never shown having no combat experience, whenever Samus had to fight for her life in Other M, she was up to the task and with wonderful skill, it was only in key encounter, like the fight with Ridley, when we see her hesitate, and that's probably because she's shocked to see Ridley alive again after she was sure she blew his brains out on Zebes. Ridley is her arch nemesis after all, not renting to his sudden resurrection would be weird, and Samus really doesn't have a true, recurring equal story wise. Sakamoto, again, played the whole ordeal for drama, and the gameplay design was used to make her use her plasma beam up until she was told to use it. Again, it's a mix of story and the design Sakamoto decided to use to power her up.

And, Adam IS the great guy we are told he was in Fusion. Samus realized this after his dead during Other M. Samus also realized she was the problem in her relationship with him, since Adam was always overseeing her well being, pulling her out of the dangers she always wanted to throw herself in because of her overconfidence and always taking into account her opinion during missions, but Samus was a hurt and scared girl and also was a selfish, young person, and EVEN after growing up to the woman she was in Other M, she took an extra effort for her to understand Adam's actions. As a player, you're led to belive Adam is not the awesome guy you were told he was, and like Samus in the beginning of OM, you're supposed to feel bossed around and uncared for by Adam, until you see him worry for you later in the game and ultimately giving his life for the greater good. Samus realized how much Adam really cared for her, but just after he was gone.

I'm just going to stop because it's just a back and forth. I at no point felt Other M was actually good and you did. And that's fine.

Other M was just too Japanese for its own good man. I understand if a lot of the subtleties weren't clear to western people because they are proper of Japanese culture. I understand some of them because I am a huge weeb, and even then, I agree some of the situations in the game were ridiculous and corny as hell.
I understand people disliking Other M, but at least, I want people to hate it for the right reasons, and stop common memes associated with it, because it retarded seeing people go all like SAMUS IS A STRONG WOMYN THAT NEED NO ADAM THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY.

>tfw i liked the plot of the baby in almost all the games
Too bad the memers killed any discussion about it in SR already

has amazon opened up pre-orders for the special edition yet?

The new visor looks positively vicious. I love it.

already pre-ordered it

hyped as fuck right now.

>You don't like it because it's too subtle for the likes of you
Oh god you really believe that don't you. I understood what they were trying to do. I just felt it was so badly handled that it failed on every level humanly possible.

I like it too.
Samus, as a hunter, having a especial relationship of gratitude towards what is supposed to be her sworn prey, gives her awesome depth to her character. Other M was not subtle about it, but the continuation to that relationship was there.

>Enjoy what you seen?
Yes
>Excited for it?
Yes and the 2D Metroid franchises future
>Any worry outside of the developer?
No

>anons on Sup Forums dont understand a cliche gov't plot
Everything in other M aside from the ridley freakout were normal for a plot heavy game and exactly what I expected after the beginning. It was a bad game but it knew what it was doing in the plot.

Not saying it went the right direction but every choice in it aside from what I said above actually makes perfect sense. The GF isnt suppose to be the good guys, that was the entire plot after all.

Because it doesn't play like a 2D Metroid game like it's supposed to and because its story and characterization for Samus were shit, mixed with unskipable cutscenes.

Not him but so what, suitless Samus looked good in Other M with the only exception being her height but Samus Returns fixes that.

who doesn't understand it? No one. Everyone rails on it because it is a poorly-written, exposition-heavy, payoff-lacking shitshow of a story that goes nowhere.

What do you guys think the amiibo will do?

>she's shocked to see Ridley alive again after she was sure she blew his brains out on Zebes
>a second time