LOTR Thread

>Elves are friends, not food

Tolkien rolling in his grave

Best LOTR game

I'm not sure why Tolkien's estate is allowing these hilariously awful Shadow of War/Shadow of Mordor games to be made when they do nothing but take steaming dumps all over the lore.

I guess making some quick cash is more important than preserving your legacy.

Why is this even LoTR related?
They clearly dont give a shit about the lore and LoTR hasnt been relevant in years

Wait,Tolkien died!?

probably cause it would have bombed if it didn't have the LOTR name slapped on top of it. It's easier to sell something recognizeable than brand new.

>Why is this even LoTR related?

Because it's an already existing and popular IP so making your own original IP would be a lot harder to sell.

No, they had to bury him alive because he wanted to make another Hobbit trilogy

But.. but...

Am I the only person hyped for the game?

>Its a LOTRturbonerds whine about canon and purity of medium when discussing EU thread

Why are you all so vehemently butthurt over what happens with this franchise? When the jew son dies you just know the FULL rights are going to go to whoever pays the most. Hope youre ready for that cinematic universe.

DUDE

BLACK

WINDMILL

fuck off shill no one is hyped for press x to beat the game

They're not allowing it. Warner Bros already has some rights thanks to The Hobbit. Christopher Tolkien hates all this shit.

>mfw Cuck devs shove their agendas and quips into the game

Yes, orc mode when?

Do you understand how licensing works? The Tolkien Estate sold the licensing rights to LOTR a while ago.

The estate actually tried to sue the company that holds the licenses back in 2012 because the license was only supposed to be used on "tangible" products and not digital/electronic media but I can't find any info on what came from that.

But people loved The Witcher 3.

IIRC Tolkien sold movie and entertainment rights of the LotR to some schlomo back in 60s, so his estate can only whine. Fortunately they still have the rights of Silmarillion.

Should've just made a warhammer fantasy game about orcs doing things.

the first game was fun I will buy the sequel once it is sold for 10-15 trumps

The BEST
Those games are and should be treated as fanfiction.
just laugh as you play.

They probably dont care over all the money they are making.
I am pretty sure super deep lore in fiction only truly matters to fanboys and nerds not regular people.

>spin-off is not true to the original lore
Gee, this never happened before.

The Middle Earth games are to Tolkien lore, what Assassin's Creed is to actual history.

If you think about it that way, you can still enjoy it.

Because famous brands sell. Why do you think almost every AAA game coming out in recent years is a sequel, a remake, an adaptation, or a spiritual sequel? It's not because there are no original ideas anymore, it's because most gamers (and not just gamers, just look at every single fucking Hollywood movie) are dumb as fuck and will only by what they know.

If it was named something else not based on an existing IP, everyone would've just complained that it's a bland as fuck Ass Creed ripoff where the only redeeming factor was the Nemesis system, and it would've been forgotten a week after release. As it stands, people still said that, but almost nobody gave a fuck because OMG I RECOGNIZE SOME OF THE NAMES IN THIS THAT MEANS IT'S GOOD, I ALWAYS WANTED TO BE A BORING AND EDGY VERSION OF ARAGORN KILLING A MILLION ORCS BECAUSE MY DEFINITION OF GOOD CHARACTERS IS THAT OF A 12 YEAR OLD KID WITH ADD.

Im surprised that no one attempted to copy the nemessis system so far.

>all the money they are making
Tolkien's estate actually sued for royalties before the Hobbit movies came out. They said they hadn't seen a penny from any of the movies.

tolkien orcs vs warhammer orks vs blizzard orcs
who wins?

Apparently the upcoming XCOM2 expansion is taking some inspiration from it.

Are they allowed to bring special/main characters?

>Why are fans of the series that established all norms for fantasy genre to come and is widely loved and respected as some of the greatest books written in modern times angry that a bunch of nu-males protected by Jews can compete with the brilliant mind of Tolkien to create their own canon that only normies like for a shit sequel to a shit game that literally no one asked for

What people want is a lore friendly RPG or for the series to be left alone. Just anything other than fan fiction.

Nah mate.

>orKs
Obviously they do, due to superior technological level. The fantasy ones are spelled with a C.

Do you mean Warhammer Fantasy Orcs, or Warhammer 40k Orks?

If it's 40K Orks, they win easily. If it's Fantasy Orcs, they probably still win but the Blizzard Orcs could put up a hell of a fight depending on the circumstances. Tolkien Orcs would lose in all matchups though.

The Nemesis system is technically really impressive amount of content.
So many orcs to write and voice lines for and so many headgear and armor to make them stand out.

>No slow mo code
>But superior co-op

I can't decide.

WB is exploiting some loophole in the licensing. That's why they're called "Middle Earth" rather than LotR. And Christopher Tolkien is an old fart, I sincerely doubt he's very aware of these games or their content.
Tolkien has been dead since the 70s.

You already know the answer.

my bad I didnt know that changed between 40k
I have committed heresy and await summary judgment

It's almost like some people have respect for artists and the integrity of their work.

sure why not?

inb4 you get called an autist for this reasonable comment

The Lore and the world is literally all laid out for game devs and Hollywood but they still fuck up.

Did their work change you fucking retard?

Does making this game change the book?

The reveal trailer was fucking awful.
The "unexpectedly eloquent hulk" joke is already overplayed, but they stretched it out so much it became painful.

Then Tolkien orcs bring melkor and sauron into the fight and win, Blizz orcs bring green jesus, grom hellscream, and grom's son and do some damage but ultimately bow before the power of literal gods. Grimgor, Grom the paunch, Azhag, Wurrzhag and Skarsnik all put on a good show but their gods aren't all that proactive and so they get defeated too.

>Bright Lord, Dark Lord same thing really
fucking end me

Tolkien himself did not regard his work as a dogmatic canon. He wrote and rewrote everything constantly, and intended for it to be a body of work to which people could contribute.

There's no way he could have predicted video games, but given his written feelings on LOTR, I doubt he would have been as defensive about it as you knobs.

>From Fear to LOTR Fan-fiction

>pre-launch of SoM
>"we're doing our own twist on lore but it will be fairly accurate and very plausible within the world"
>be a big tolkienfag and suspicious of this statement but okay i can accept this
>it's outlandish bullshit and takes a shit on the lore
>SoW comes
>it takes even bigger shits in multiple quantities on the lore

I never should've trusted them.

pop

I never see this mentioned in LOTR threads but I really liked it.

That right there. Fucking hell.

I'm going to get it. I wouldn't say I'm hyped though. I enjoyed the first one, I'm sure this one will be fine as well.

My dream game will always be a ranger-simulator in the aftermath of the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, where you try to survive and hunt orcs in a world that turns darker, capitalizing on the feeling of nostalgia and melancholy while you roam ruins and twisted forests.

Bonus mission: FIGHT AN UNWINNABLE BATTLEAGAINST MELKOR AS NOBODY ELSE BUT FUCKING FINGOLFIN
HOW LONG CAN YOU LAST WHILE BLIND GUARDIAN PLAYS IN THE BACKGROUND?

Does anyone actually give a shit about the lore?

At least this way they arent restricted with what they do cause of canon.

I'd pay to see Gork and Mork fight Melkor and Sauron.

Though I think Melkor > G&M > Sauron in terms of power levels.

>ANOTHER Ring
>Also Black NĂºmenĂ³reans are BLACK

This. I played the shit out of this with my brother when we were kids.

I'm going to assume you meant orcs from WH. Orks are from 40K and they could literally wipe out the other two combined in one Waggggh.

I would still put my money on WHF orcs though. Orcs from LotR are just mutated elves and kind of buffer humans, they aren't fuckhueg or really advanced in any way. WC Orcs would have some plot armour cause Metzen is a hack and turned Thrall into dindu Jesus and the noble savages and shit. They could have magic which LOTR orcs don't have. However, Orcs from WH are just a huge, memetically powered super horde. If Grimgor was leading them they would trounce the WH Orcs who don't even act Orcy anymore.

Get fucked nerd

underrated gem desu
had so much fun playing through this with a friend back when it came out

>and kind of buffer humans
They aren't, they are weaker than humans and sometimes called goblins. Also the mutated elf thing is just one of many theories, that is only "canon" because it made it into the Silmarillion. And even there it was only implied. Tolkien himself was never really sure where they shold come from.

>Being this much of an autist
Who cares? It's a fun orc slayer and that's all I want. I just hope you're not as overpowered this time.

I assumed when they meant LOTR orcs, they meant the Uruk'Hai guys from the movies and not goblins. Do they have an over-arching greenskin race in LOTR?

>They aren't, they are weaker than humans and sometimes called goblins.
He's probably thinking about the Uruk-Hai.

>Not able to kill Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits and all other forms of non-humans
Why can't I go full crusade in any games?

If you unironically pay even a single cent for this, you are not a follower of Wotan. This trash goes against the very spiritual foundation of Tolkien's work and the traditions that it is based upon.

>Do they have an over-arching greenskin race in LOTR?
First of all, LotR orcs aren't green.

Second, orcs -are- the over-arching greenskin race. Uruk-Hai aren't a race of their own, they're just elite orcs that are bred for war by Saruman in an attempt to outdo Sauron.

You know it

Tolkien wasn't a fat useless nerd so he probably wouldn't care that much.

I just want a fuckhuge adventure game set in middle earth.

Calm down. Greenskin is a commonly accepted term for orcs/goblins and other such races.

I don't think Shadow of Mordor/War ever tried to pretend it was canon though. More like a what if story, if anything. As in, what if wraiths could be bound to people and give them superpowers. Weird as fuck, but obviously fanfiction

I don't even know what that is.

The E3 reveal had some of the most cringy writing I have ever seen in a game, holy shit. It seemed like every time that orc opened his mouth he had to monologue for 15 minutes just to tell you basic information. It was trying desperately to be "clever" but just came off as a 12-year-old's idea of wit. Why does every writer these days think verbosity and quips is good writing?

Only in Warhammer.

The one licence EA of all scum actually handled better.

Blizzard Orcs would win over WHF Orcs. Tolkien Orcs would be as much of a threat to either of them as a fly is to a planet.
And 40K Orks would obliterate all 3 at the same time as a morning exercise

>sell rights
>get upset and try to sue who you sold it to
Tim Hortons all over again

Shadow of bullshit is probably the worst video game archetype I could imagine existing in middle earth
>fan fiction edgy bullshit
>worst combat system in gaming, bar none
>replace good writing with some ebin "living" ai system
>focus entirely on edgy bullshit mordor and forgo the beautiful and interesting world of middle earth

>tfw the skill system allowed me to be a complete autist and literally grind for every single ability in the starting area
Loved it.

Me too man, bring me back to those times please

I unironically love how much this series pisses off autistic Tolkiencucks, even if some of them may just be falseflaggers.

Game will be boring after 2 hours just like the first one

Even if blizzard orcs couldn't win they'd just get retconned until they do.

2 minutes *
I could barely stand to watch the gameplay reveal

>that guy who was such a traditionalist he would loudly sing hymns in latin rather than sing them in english like every one else
>that guy who had a fan present him with a finely made goblet with the one ring's inscription on it and he used it as his ashtray

Warcraft
Of Orcs and Men
Warlords Battlecry

Oh right, my bad. When I said Warhammer I should've said Warhammer and a couple of other games that shamelessly copied Warhammer.

Then they shouldn't pretend that they're trying to be accurate to begin with.

Every game should do this. You should control the degree of progress and difficulty, not some arbitrary system of parceling out abilities. If you want to spend 20 hours playing and getting strong before the main quest, you should be able to. If you want to rush the game and finish the main quest in 10 hours without leveling, you should be able too.

You literally can't win against 40k orks unless you firebomb the entire planet since they just shoot spores everywhere that grow into more orks when you aren't looking
Aside from that I'm pretty sure a single ork could kill them all just by spraying bullets everywhere

Warhammer shamelessly copied LOTR, so what's the problem?

The "problem" is that calling LotR Orcs greenskins is retarded.

problem is that if games allow this, eventually a bunch of retards will spend 20 hours grinding skills, then complain the game is to easy and give you shit reviews

>not the GBA version
Literally Diablo set in Middle-earth.

>Caring about and defending the taxonomy of any kind of Orc
You fucking faggot heretic.

Wtf is that supposed to be? Gondolin?

What, they couldn't buy good reviews like all other games these days? Who honestly cares about reviews? In all seriousness, does anyone actually listen to a "professional" review these days?