I want to get into this series but how do I actually start? Theres so many games released...

I want to get into this series but how do I actually start? Theres so many games released, and KHfags willing to break down the order to play in?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_Bo6Cbeq18k
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Play a real game and not this children shit.

>playing games for black emos

KH1:FM
Chain of Memories(the new one)
KH2:FM
358/2 days(or movie)
Birth by Sleep
Re:Coded(or movie)
Dream Drop Distance(new one)
Then the phone game as a continual thing if you're into that

Buy the 2 PS4 games and you have the entire series thus far on just 2 discs. They're even in order on the menu. You're welcome.

Start from the beginning and play them all.

The easiest way would be to buy the 1.5+2.5 HD Collection on PS4, and then simply playing the games on there from top to bottom. 1.5 and 2.5 are also available (not in a bundle though) on PS3, should you not own a PS4.

One very important thing to keep in mind with KH is that every single game contributes to the canon, even if the gameplay changes between each entry (sometimes drastically).

What about 1.8 and 2.8?

There's no 1.8.

2.8 comes after you play 1.5 and 2.5.

1.8 doesn't exist. 2.8 is played after 1.5+2.5, but that'll take you anywhere between 200 and 500 hours anyway, so no need to think about it too hard for now.

>>Chain of Memories(the new one)
>Playing Re:CoM
Fucking hell no. The GBA version is far superior.

don't own ps3 or ps4, which version of KH1 do i emulate?

Watch the cutscenes from 1, a recap of CoM, play KH2 and watch cutscenes for the others. KH2 is the only one worth actually playing.

Final mix if you think you can survive japanese menus.

KH 1.5 + 2.5
KH 2.8

wait for 3, all in order on the bluray compact disc you can put inside your playstation 4 to play the games. user

Don't listen to this fucking stupid motherfucker.

ignore this nostalgia-toting faggot. the GBA version is absolutely painful to play simply because the presentation absolutely sucks. it's the same problem I had with 358/2, game looked and felt like ass to play. COM actually has pretty tight gameplay and great sprites but it's just not as "KH" to me. i don't know about anyone else but i associate KH with middling quality gameplay and ridiculously overproduced cutscenes

>I PLAY MATURE GAMES GUYS
>I HAVE TO TELL EVERYONE THAT IM MATURE
go back to playing mario fuck wad

not ranslation?

The order on the 1.5+2.5 collection is fucked, don't play Days before 2.

Shut the fuck up retard. The ONLY thing Re:CoM does better is 100 Acre Woods.

The translation is only for the ps3, ps4 version I think. PS2 never got an english final mix version of 1 or 2.

I've heard that KH1, KH2 and BBS (which is basically KH0) are the best and most continuity-relevant games, and the rest are more or less optional. How accurate is this?

Kingdom Hearts 1, Kingdom Hearts: Chain Of Memories, and Kingdom Hearts 2 are the only ones that are going to be worth your time.

Every other KH plays like fucking ass and you'd know if you weren't blinded by nostalgia.

Yeah, gameplay isn't nearly as important as the cutscenes and presentation, you fucking retard.

days is after 2 on the disc.

what happens when I walk away?

If you have a PS4, get 1.5+2.5, and 2.8

The titles are fucking dumb but thats basically everything you need to get a gist of the story, and they're listed in order of release on the main menu.

358 and coded are movies in that collection but they were nothing special anyway so just read up on them.

If you want to just blaze through, get the highlights, I recommend the following:

>KH1: FM
>Re: COM (Either play, or watch a youtube cutscene movie)
>KH2: FM
>358/2 days (movie)
>KH: BBS (either play, or watch a youtube cutscene movie)
>Dream Drop Distance (either play, or watch a youtube cutscene movie)
>2.8

Basically, just play KH 1 / KH 2 at the bare minimum, and other games can be cutscene only if you're a tremendous faggot. If you really like the series, you can play the spinoffs as you see fit.

The main menu I remember seeing goes KH1, CoM, Days, KH2, BBS, Re:Coded

No it isn't.

I'm literally going through the series now and you're full of shit you fucking asshole. Go be stupid somewhere else.

The gba version of CoM was fantastic. The combat was great, and in a certain way, surpassed KH1 due to the card break system. The music was great, and really pushed the gba to its limits. ReCoM felt like a worthless add on to help promote KH2 FM

Kingdom Hearts, then Chain of Memories, then Kingdom Hearts 2, then Birth By Sleep, then Dream Drop Distance.

That's it. Don't believe the memes, those are the essential games in the series that'll explain just about everything.

Mandatory
> Optional

Kingdom Hearts 1
> Kingdom Hearts: Re:Chain of Memories
Kingdom Hearts 2
> Kingdom Hearts 358/2 (Has a movie you can just watch)
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
> Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded (Has a movie you can just watch)
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
> Kingdom Hearts 0.2 ~A Fragmentary Passage~

Get the KH 1.5 + 2.5 HD Remix for PS4, and you get like all of the games except the last two, which you can get really cheap now in KH 2.8. I'd also recommend reading a story synopsis or watching a movie on any you skip.

You should also vaguely read up on the shitty mobile game, but don't worry it's not that important.

I watched 358/2 days before I played KH2, and felt it helped me understand what the fuck was happening in 2. If I didn't watch it before I feel my KH2 experience would not be as good

Accurate, as everything that happens in CoM is more or less explained in the journal in Kingdom hearts 2. Days was really there just to shed some light on Org13, and why Roxas could wield 2 keyblades, which was then passed to Sora

>Play something
>Remember it well because you go through it not all at once, and thus easier to take in

>Watch something
>Only remember the ending segments because it's the last thing you see

>CoM
>Optional
I can't believe people are this retarded.

It's literally supposed to be a mystery. You're a dumbass for watching/playing shit out of chronological order.

That's nice, but you aren't supposed to know all of those things when you're playing KH2.

Chain of Memories isn't really optional; without playing it beforehand, the explainations for Namine, Riku and Mickey's sudden friendship and even the Organization seem really clumsy and awkward.

>as everything that happens in CoM is more or less explained in the journal in Kingdom hearts 2
It really isn't. The team literally forgot everything that happened in Castle Oblivion.

I mean that I would literally have no idea what was going on in KH2 without watching it, there wouldnt even be a mystery because I don't think I would have a concept of where the story was at or what the terms nobodies meant for example. I could be wrong though but the story was still good 4 me

Yen Sid explains exactly what a Nobody is at the start of the game. You'd have to be pretty dumb to be that clueless about what's going on in KH2 outside the stuff they deliberately keep from you. Unless you didn't play CoM. Sounds like confirmation bias to me. Everybody else managed fine playing 2 first.

Finally, an excuse to post this

youtube.com/watch?v=_Bo6Cbeq18k

This may be my favorite single youtube video ever. Kudos to the user that posted it a little while back.

The only ones I actually enjoyed as a total experience were the first one and the GBA one.

The first one has fun gameplay and platforming, a simple story and good worlds. The GBA one, Chain of Memories has a really good battle system and a relatively simple story. The worlds are just kind of levels to go through but really it never mattered much to me because the gameplay was so good

Now 2 for me just wasn't enjoyable. I hated the new spammy system where all dodging was replaced with bashing triangle as much as possible to do epik special move. The story went full retard with what they set up in the GBA game, and all the new Org members were unlikeable fucktards

Honestly I'd just stick to those ones, the fans always cite the gameplay becoming more complex again as a plus, but that's in the games where everything is confusing and cringeworthy

WOW user THAT IS SO MANLY OF YOU
WOW
WOW
MUCH WOW

Just play 1 & 2 on PS2. The rest are nonsense.

>Sup Forums memes me into playing TWEWY
>mfw I pick KH3D as my next RPG

Think they'll ever bundle in 2.8 with 1.5+2.5? I know it's a good deal already, but as I've been putting off getting around to this series, it would be extra nice to get it all in one single bundle.

Who knows, but 1.5+2.5 is the grand majority of the series in one neat bundle, you may as well bite the bullet already.

You don't hear me say

My nigga

It's not a series you should be playing for story, you should be playing it for gameplay.

That said

KH2FM > KHFM > KH3D > KHBBS > KH:RE:Coded > KH 358/2 Days > KH:RE:CoM