Find a flaw

Find a flaw
How is it still the undisputed GOAT after all those years? Who do you main? Have you ever gone to a tournament?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2HVdoDlsN-A
eventhubs.com/news/2017/jun/20/nintendo-responds-recent-call-out-top-smash-bros-player/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Have you ever gone to a tournament?
>Going to a tournament for a non-fighting game

The fanbase is trash.

Why do SFbabbies who suck at smash always say this? It's funny how fans of the inferior, simpler game always act so smug about it.

T b h Nintendo is dumb for not releasing a Wii U version of melee with some sloppy online component. It would be like printing money.

Have you ever played Street Fighter? It's so simple that it gives you brain damage.

How is shitposting at the garbage that is kotaku bad?

I enjoyed playing it when I was younger with my brother and uncle. Good memories. Don't see people would keep playing it for the past decade or so though. If you wanted something competitive, why not just play fighting games? They're pretty fun and challenging.

>Many characters aren't fit for competitive play and don't have the tools for the chance of ever winning a significant tournament besides locals
>Solved game, where nobody will ever pierce the top 8 of majors besides the top 16 players or if they all grow old/retire
>Phantom hits and MANY other glitches
>Missing many of the QoL improvements other installments brought to the table

Don't get me wrong it's still an amazing game but don't try to pretend that watching the top 8 of tournaments is in any way enjoyable

>who do you main?
Fox, not because of his top tier status but because he's fast and feels good to play, I swear.
>have you gone to any tournaments? Only to a weekly local, lost to a forward smashing Falco because I forgot Shield-grabbing was a thing

High level Melee has a higher skill ceiling than any other fighting game. In fact, it's so deep and complicated that new stuff is discovered everyday. Back in 2002 the metagame was equal to that of normal fighters. These day it's just in another world.

Can the WiiU or Switch even run on CRTs? If they can't, I really doubt it would ever take off. Pros won't want to have to play on TVs with frame delay.

Watch last EVO's m2k vs Leffen.

>How is it still the undisputed GOAT after all those years?

Why wouldn't it be with a creator who hates is fans and intentionally sabotaged the sequels?

I'm not a Meleefag and have never entered a real Smash tourney in my life, but even as someone who only plays for fun, it's blatant that Brawl and 4's slower, floatier playstyle is a straight downgrade from what we had in 64, Melee, and even PM.

Anti-melee shitposters are easily the most autistic, unskilled and ignorant base on Sup Forums. They're shit at videogames.

Why does he hate Melee so much?

>"pros" need to cheat with mechanically altered controllers
>goat

cause nintendo understands that this game is dead and the devs of smash know how to make a better smash, if these rainmen want to keep fucking this same dead cat, let them do it

Really think the melee community is big enough it would even be worth porting? Plus aren't the melee people super autistic? They'd probably piss and moan about every little thing no matter how small

Because people started playing it "the wrong way".

do melee players actually believe this

the mechanics are pretty clunky and awkward from a casual standpoint. hard to go back after learning advanced tech.
some...questionable stage design (icicle mountain, mute city, brinstar depths)
lack of balance
awful obnoxious fanbase (somehow still not as bad as half of the fgc)
stagnant competitive scene (5-10 top players and no one is catching up)
i love the game, but you cant deny it is flawed.
smash 4 and 64 are much better at being a party game, and in some aspects, a competitive game. brawl has better singleplayer content, graphics, music, and stages.

that's just a testament to how autistic nintendo fanboys are

Smash is a party game. Not a fighting game

Do you mean those slotted controllers? Those are a meme.

this game is shit, OP is a faggot

>Only to a weekly local, lost to a forward smashing Falco because I forgot Shield-grabbing was a thing

Forgetting about something so basic.

>competitve party gamefags unironically believe this

the developers gave up after making this

It's actually true you know.

>smash 4 and 64 are much better at being a party game,
Brawl is better than all three at that, Melee is better than 64 and 4 at being a party game though, the items in 4 are one shot bs and 64 is outdated. Melee and Brawl are the perfect party games, if only brawl wasnt shit in every other way.

>d-doesn't count!!!
lol

Don't talk about what's a solved game and what isn't if you're too stupid to look up how phantom hits work.

well what was discovered today then?

>admits that it's a superior and deeper game
>writes it off because of the marketing
ahahahahahahahaha
>MOMMY LOOK AT ME I'M A BIG BOY I USE AN ARCADE STICK AAH

Not as bad as custom arcade sticks, though.

the stages and clunky mechanics make it worse though. you cant just say "64 is outdated" and not say melee is outdated. the "one-shot" bs is easily avoidable (except for that dumbass fucking wind blowing weapon fuck that shit), plus the stages in 4 are great outside of the boss stages (which are like...2 or 3 of them out of like 40)
4 also has some great mechanics for casual play. it is slower than melee and slightly slower than 64, but not too slow like brawl.

Hey guys I came from Reddit

Meanwhile dipshits pay up to hundreds of dollars for "pro" controllers. But yeah, Melee players are retarded for paying a neckbeard at their local 5 bucks to carve a couple notches into their controller.

>if only brawl wasnt shit in every other way.

What's what P:M is for

Why are M2K and Armada always so autistic about their comtrollers? Does it really matter that much?

>Find a flaw

It's not a fighting game, it's not balanced like a fighting game, and the only way to play the game competitively is to ban virtually every stage and every character other than Fox.

The AI is coded like shit and uses input scan instead of strategy, all the single-player modes "challenge" the player with increasingly artificially difficult obstacles that involve handicaps in favor of the AI, and too many characters are just reskins of other characters who share the same movesets.

>Smash is not a fighting game
>That's why Smash games have been on the main stage at EVO for five years running, has listings on SRK and EventHubs, and also appears at several other FGC events such as CEO, Final Round, and many more
Like I don't fucking get it, no matter how much Reddit cries and shits its pants Smash has been at EVO longer than 80% of the games that have been showcased there. It's a fighting game, and nobody thinks you're cool for being a contrarian

Most of this reskin characters work completely differently, though. Falco and Fox are ostensibly the same but don't play alike at all.

FACT: The best competitive games of all time are ALWAYS complete accidents.

Melee, Broodwar, etc. wouldn't be anywhere near as great if they weren't so blatantly exploitable.

>it's so deep and complicated that new stuff is discovered everyday

By "new stuff," you mean new glitches that aren't supposed to be there in the first place. There's nothing "deep" about SSBM's mechanics, it's just a poorly coded game with shit physics that are easily broken.

>stagnant community which is also full of autistic fuckwits
>less than half the roster is viable
>only stages played are battlefield or slight variations of battlefield
>ai outright cheats

People won't let the game die off and help Nintendo improve future releases.

>Most of this reskin characters work completely differently, though

They're reskins. They have copy-and-paste movesets with slightly tweaked hitboxes or damage output. The point is that this is lazy development, especially when it occurs with such frequency as it does in the Smash series.

Imagine if half the roster in a Street Fighter game did this. No one would take the game seriously. Why does Smash get a free pass on this kind of lazy character implementation when it's supposedly a "fighting" game? It should be held to the standards of other fighting games. But it's not a fighting game, it's a party game.

Its true, combos in fighting games were glitches at first.

On a personal level I find the idea of serious competitive Smash play quite appalling, but I rather like how those Melee fans stick to their old game and don't mindlessly abandon it for the newer installments which seems to be the standard in other fighting game franchises.

is there any hope for a new player break top 8

To be fair, Melee plays differently from other Smash games. Unlike most fighters where the mechanics and methods are pretty similar, Melee is different from every other Smash game and every Smash game is different from each other.

Melee is more like Marvel vs Capcom while Smash 4 is more like Street Fighter

explain

Melee is going to get a TRUE successor in only a few months.
youtube.com/watch?v=2HVdoDlsN-A

Hungry Box is literally retarded for quitting his job to play VIDEO GAMES and then demand he be paid for it.

The only thing I remember from playing Brawl is how disappointingly similar to Melee it seemed. I guess a lot of the differences come from the "unintended" aspects of Melee which a casual like myself never exploited?

>New stuff is discovered every day!
>trash tier character moves up one tier from "total ass" to just "ass"

Melee is much more faster and complex but yet isn't as focused and unbalanced like Marvel vs Capcom and anime fighters

Smash 4 while a lot more simplistic and slower, has a heavy focus on the neutral game and footsies/spacing. Its a lot more closer to Tekken and Street Fighter to how they handle it's fighters.

64 is a weird anomaly because it has the touch of death aspect like Marvel but has a good neutral game.

Brawl is way too much of a mess to judge. Its like a Netherrelms fighter but way worst in certain aspect but just as fun as a casual game.
TL;DR
>64: Marvel vs Capcom
>Melee: Guilty Gear/BlazBlue
>Brawl: Mortal Kombat/Injustice
>Smash 4: Street Fighter/Tekken

>caring about AI in fighting game
you're the true scum here

It's old as fuck and people still think its worth trying to keep around, so what it had the best shit I see no other game series fighting or not have its fan base stuck so far into the past even new Vegas fans aren't as bad as you guys

>smash is a competitive game

Solved game that needs an HD version with balance changes or meleefags need to move on

post yfw smash prize pool will never go above 50k

melees competitive scene is about exploiting glitches in maps, characters and hitboxes

only viable characters
lets be honest here. They dont support melee because smash having a high skill ceilling is againts what they made smash in the first plast.
>if only brawl wasnt shit in every other way.
it tried and got killed for that.
>don't try to pretend that watching the top 8 of tournaments is in any way enjoyable
Watch Genesis Leffen vs Mang0. Shit was hype

>falcos significantly taller
nice

But we just had an awesome top 8 at EVO

I notice this got no arguments against it, probably because so few people play a variety of fighters to know if it's true or not.

Great game plagued with the most horrendous fanbase where 99% consists of streamboars who shitpost and dickride the game to infinity.
The remaining 1% are out there actually playing the game.

you really don't know what youre talking about. two people to people hitting eachother on a 2-d plane can only be so varied.

in the case that this isn't bait, here's my final thoughts about: seems like you just casually played sf2/4 and didn't like the simplicity and movement

>the GOAT

hasn't won shit in years.
hungrybox is the GOAT and we all know it.

What the fuck is Leffen's problem? He's like real life Gary Oak.

Reminder that Mario Kart has been at evo

If hungrybox wasnt around, imagine how much better top 8 would be. He almost always guarantees either a victory or a grand final vs armada. Even if it isn't armada its going to be a campy boring fox.

It'd suck. Hbox and Puff bring a unique presence and dynamic. He's a shark in the bracket that keeps everyone else on their toes. It'd just be better if he and Armada were a tiny tiny bit less consistent so it'd be less guaranteed for them.

he won Royal Flushs and Big House againts Armada (the Boat) just to get beat by him at EVO. The Goat is just one of his many titles like the kid or the buster.
>Hbox is the Goat
hell no. I like Hbox but much of his gamestyle and his attitude are againts melee and way more similar to how sm4sh and brawl play.

If he was actually Gary Oak he would lose to Armada every time since Gary loses to Red every time he fights him

I wish it could be played online with a lot of players playing it. Damn it´s probably the best game ever made

Netplay, user. Visit Anther's Ladder.

Leffen usually chokes. And then he tries to make his controller wavedash.

But i have to download, get a controller etc etc. Isn´t that alot of work?

You know, I've always loved Melee, and its one of my favorite games, but after Icons, and witnessing the autistic depths of the fanbase firsthand, I've really grown to dislike both a whole lot.

Not at all. Just torrent the iso on tpb. The software on Anther's is downloaded and installed in minutes. If you already have a Gamecube controller you can buy a PC adapter. Theoretically you could use any controller you have to play the game as long as you hook it up to your pc and set it up in Dolphin (which takes less than a minute).
By tge way, remember to use the Dolphin version you downloaded from Anther's.

Someone needs to make one of these, for posts like this.

Man this sounds nice. How many people are usually online I mean how big is the playerbase

Quite large. There will always be a few people from your region and skill level online. If you're in the US you'll be absolutely surrounded by players who live close to you and if you're in Europe there will be slightly fewer people but still more than enough.
Don't know about the playerbase outside of those areas. Region is important because of ping.

I still can't help but laugh at how autistic this is.

That's an interesting perspective I hadn't thought of. Less consistency would make the top 8's much more varied.

GOAT party game sure

>Find a flaw
Oh jeez there's so much.
How about the fact that a bunch of characters are actually broken in many ways.
As in parts of their moveset literally don't work.

>eventhubs.com/news/2017/jun/20/nintendo-responds-recent-call-out-top-smash-bros-player/
>"What we’re doing—and our take on this space is we want to encourage the community," Reggie told >Kotaku. "We want to enable them to put on tournaments and to have fun and for the players themselves to participate in these types of situations. That’s our view of this space.”
>“Look, we love Hungrybox,” Fils-Aimé said. “We had him in our tournaments. There is a passion in the Smash Bros. community which is fantastic. When he talks about lack of support, I’m not quite sure what he’s alluding to.”
Is there any man more based than Reggie to treat such a beloved & revered player like the whiny manchild he really is?

>I can tell which Melee characters I'm looking at based on the animations
kek

Are Smash groupies a thing? Does m2k tear it up? I can imagine them being really autistic rockstars.

fucking garbage.

marth and yes.

a better question: why are marth mains such smart, knowledgeable, and cool people?

there's plenty of stories about zero's gang of cock gobbling fanboys terrorizing people at the tournaments

You faggits would be smart if you tools actually learned the neutral game instead of cheesing spacies and complaining about losing even to favorable MU against Falcon,Sheik, and Jiggs.

Listen don't get mad just because you can't understand our divine, cosmic intelligence

>treating smash like a fighting game
l
o
l

It's true fgc.uck

PLATFORM fighter. It's more than 2d idiot.