Tell me WHY Crash Team Racing ISN'T the best kart racer there is

Tell me WHY Crash Team Racing ISN'T the best kart racer there is.

I really can't; it's indeed the best.

because better exists, it's probably the most consistent overall though. I personally feel it needed more decent tracks, only 3 really stood out to me.

I never liked the relic/ctr challenges, the n.oxide ghost races were good.
And the music is meh.

Probably the best difficulty cure. It was mechanically solid but it never felt like it had much beyond the basics to offer. I never had much fuck ya, this track kind of moments either.

It is though.

the tracks aren't that memorable and the music is average. Fantastic in everything else but muh iconic tracks and muh music are what people remember most in stuff like MK64 and DKR

>tfw dead genre

Mario Kart is still selling great, no one is making them because Crash has been dead and most other companies don't have enough iconic characters and landscapes to make a truly interesting game.

Competent but uninspired.

Because Mario Kart 8 exists

Because Diddy Kong Racing exists.

>That mini turbo drifting
>Uninspired
Fuck outta here bitch

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe literally has no flaws

Because Sonic Transformed exists.

MK8D > CTR = DKR > MKDS > Sonic Racing Transformed = MK8 > MKDD! = MK64 > SMK >>>>> MKWii > MKSS

>SMK above anything
How? MKSS literally has all it's tracks with better graphics and characters

What's the waluigi pinball of CTR? Or of DKR?

Hot Air Skyway

I hated MKSS's drifting, I don't really know why. Also, the GBA screened fucked the whole experience. It's above MKWii due to MKWii's severe rubberbanding issues and the fact it was really Mario Bike Wii. Although if you include mods MKWii can rank a lot higher.

DKR? Darkmoon Caverns
CTR? Oxide Station

>Mario Kart Double Dash
>Not last or second last
It's fucking shit. Everything handles like ass and all the courses are flat and boring so that a million shitty items can fly all over the place and fuck you up out of nowhere worse than Blue Shells ever do.

I don't see how it's controls are any worse than SMK.

but it is, there's no reason to say the opposite, really

Also the sense of speed is just not there, played it today for the hell of it and still haven't changed my mind on it

It's basically DKR with one cool mechanical enhancement (jump turbo) but with worse level design.

The single player also sucks compared to DKR. By lower PS1 standards of gameplay, it was good racer though.

CTR would be amazing if it had a co-op adventure mode. Not a lot of kart or item racers have 2 player campaign, but it's in great demand.

>muh iconic tracks and muh music are what people remember most in stuff like MK64 and DKR
This. I actually find it obnoxious how after 20 years people still hold religiously that 64 has the best Rainbow Road theme. It doesn't 7's the best

Modnation racers has the best drifting and sense of speed. Highest skill. Best kart racer

At least Mario Kart 8 complete edition isn't bad on content alone

>keep hearing that DKR is better than CTR
>go play it
>there's a bunch of lag
I don't get it, CTR runs much better despite being on a system with a slower CPU. Are we comparing gameplay or memorability because CTR's much more polished

to be fair DKR is a fair bit older

I don't get it either and the boats and airplane tracks do nothing for me, I will say the music is definitely top tier though

Are you playing it emulated or on original hardware?
At worst the game has huge frameskips.

I get that which is why I always say CTR > DKR > MK64. It's insane to think otherwise, each improve on each other as the fifth gen progresses.

I agree DD has janky handling, but it makes up for it with originality, good tracks, and a really fun battle mode.

The problem with CTR is that Naughty Dog isn't a very gameplay oriented developer. Gameplay is always their last priority after presentation. Andy Gavin even admitted it on his blog.

Their games may have that "woah cool" element which impresses on the surface (like CTR's jump boost) but there's never any real mechanical depth and their games always reek of poor level design.

Nintendo is basically the complete opposite. They don't give a fuck about presentation which is why Mario Kart 64 looked so barren (even for its time) but the gameplay and level design is almost always perfect.

List some examples of poor level design in CTR please

>no mechanical depth.
CTR has a lot of tricks for keeping the speed high thanks to it's drift and boost system, you have stuff like sacred fire, frogging, etc..., Adding to that are the crazy shortcuts that looks almost impossible to do unless you get really good at it, it's a really interesting game on it's own.
I prefer DKR over it anyday, but CTR has lots of tech/deep on it's gameplay.

It's obvious if you compare DKR's silver coin challenge vs CTR's collect-letters challenge

I only tried the demo, made some retarded tracks but didn't race very much. Seemed alright

ONE FOR THE ROAD

TINY SQUASH PUNY KARTS

How come no proper Diddy Kong Racing sequel?

Rare is owned by Microsoft now

what

>asking a question we simply cannot answer
You're a cruel man, Original Poster.

hol up

Music is meh or even annoying in all kart racers. If the music was more like the two winter levels in the game, the OST would be much better. They are by far the best for some reason.

MY NIGGA.

For me it's:
SP>CTR>DKR/MK64

(Mario kart was more fun than the small tracks in in DKR but DKR was more impressive)

No one talks about Lego Racer. It was fun, but a bit to easy.

Fuck off CTR shill

You've got objectively shit taste user.

Who else did beat him without knowing of the power slide?
>Retarded kid-me with Pura.

How?

>SP
>speed phreaks

Plenty of hours to waste, that's for sure. Can't remember much else.

if you mean the boss battle, air boosts and the amount of boost pads in Oxide Station are enough to stand a chance.
Ghost Races... that's impossible.

SSSSSO SSSSSSORRY!

>blocks your path

Oh I recognise this game. I played it at my m8s place a few times. I remember absolutely nothing about it though. Good times.

Does anyone know the name of the psx racing game where the cars got thinner like an accordion?
The only thing I can remember about the game is that and the fact it had a level that had a piano you drove on. Its eluded me for years.
I might be remembering it wrong since I was a child when I played it.

I can't imagine how much of a pain in the ass that must be but that's the penalty of skipping the mask advice I guess

Going back to the game everything handles a bit too clunkily compared to more modern titles. This could be improved upon in the remake though until then MK8D really is the best.

Is it supposed to be hard? There's so many turbo pads in the level that you don't really need anything else.

Plane and boat segments just feel like downgrades in comparison to the kart segments. Great game though.

That is shockingly impressive dude.

I'm only of average-good video game playing skill.

>we don't talk about CNK

Make way plebs

>CTR, Sonic Racing, DKR well above MK64

I like it. Played only a little bit of MK64 and it felt so damn bad in comparison to CTR and Sonic that I was shocked.

You have to drive around the stupid map just to do Grand Prix.

Grand prix is in the arcade mode you stoop.

holy fucking shit mah nigga detected
>implying i dont have that exact game plugged in right now