Hey user, are you doing you're best to support the voice actor strike...

Hey user, are you doing you're best to support the voice actor strike, so troy baker and laura bailey can get more roles and more money than the devs!

Other urls found in this thread:

sagaftra.org/sag-aftra-welcomes-release-‘call-duty-infinite-warfare’-notes-voice-and-performance-capture-actors-0
youtube.com/watch?v=YaOSPUtjidY
gamasutra.com/salarysurvey2014.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They should have received all the profit plus their wage

oh no they only made 4.5 million dollars that sucks

Actor strikes should be answered by the studios finding some fresh cheaper talent to show the big-names that they're not irreplaceable.

>Get more roles
Fuck you, i'm tired of hearing Yuri Lowenthal taking every single role in a videogame because of his garbage teenager voice

I think it's safe to say that this strike hasn't affected publishers at all. A failure by all accounts.

4.5 million seems fair for the forgettable call of duty dialog.

>narcissistic voice dubbers think their pathos-filled performances consisting of saying "STAY FROSTIE" or shouting "BOOM! HEADSHOT!" are what sell CAWADOODY games

The funny thing is their strike has been running for a year or something now and nobody cares nor has anybody even really noticed.

Good thing that the people who play those games have absolutely no idea who voices those characters, not would they care if they found out or changed them.

Source: My ass is more like it
No way those are actual numbers

I can't wait until the moment every single one of those fucking pieces of shit gets replaced by a machine. Fuck 'em.

This, I play games for the GAMEplay not to hear some faggot wax on. Literally go fuck yourself if you think i can even remember your fucking voice unless you played something iconic, at which point its not that i remember your voice due to your performance but rather because you landed a good character that is the vehicle for the FUCKING GAMEPLAY.

Well, i'm posting in this thread, that should be more than enough.

sagaftra.org/sag-aftra-welcomes-release-‘call-duty-infinite-warfare’-notes-voice-and-performance-capture-actors-0

>#PerformanceMatters
Correct thats why I try not to pay for any of those people that pass as "actors"

>see these fucks trying to demand more money while animators like myself get paid shit in comparison for 100x the work in difficulty

fuck off, you yapping away doesn't mean shit.

Why are bigname American VAs (barring pre-2000s) so fucking shit and samevoice? I swear, the best dubs and VAing comes from no names with 7 credited roles over 15 years.

>“SAG-AFTRA understands that the great majority of work done on the Call of Duty franchise was done by committed teams of animators, coders and developers — workers who were often required to put in twelve-fourteen hour days, seven days a week for months at a time,” said SAG-AFTRA President Gabrielle Carteris. “While we applaud these herculean efforts, we believe that the culture of exploitation that exists in all aspects of the video game industry must come to an end.”

>NO FUCK YOU DEVELOPERS THAT ARE ACTUALLY PUTTING IN MOST OF THE WORK MAKING THE GAME PUTTING IN 60 HOURS A WEEK WE SHOULD GET WAY MORE THAN YOU FOR OUR 5 HOUR VOICE ACTING DONE IN ONE DAY

Gas all voice actors

You just dont get it do you you little shitlord? It costs in california over 600,000 dollars to buy a home the size of a studio. We VAs need all of your money just to buy fucking milk because we want to live in a 420 legal state.

well animation is something anyone can good at with time theoretically

it takes a certain kind of person and talent to be a good actor

but really, the strike is unnecessary

This, I'm pretty sick of hearing that yuri faggot in all of my anime and jrpgs,
I started watching subs for this reason.

Because they hold a goddamn monopoly on Voice Acting that no one wants to use anyone else but them.
IIRC, one of the VAs themselves said the best piece of advice if you want to get into it yourself is to wait for a big name to die and pray you get in there before someone does the very same, and that's assuming they don't have a successor that everyone will immediately gravitate towards.

Now show what the actual programmers and artist get. If they want royalties and big payouts they need to get in movies

>strike has been going almost a year
>LITERALLY no one has noticed or even knows it started in the first place

>basically outright says that they put in more work than the actual video game developers doing crunch work to push out assembly line tier games so they deserve more than them
lol

the programmer is no more important than the chinese factory line worker who stamps bluray discs

How do they solve this problem in Japan? We should do the same thing.

My dick hitting a pillow case with a cat in it could be used in place of a va. Why do they matter so much? It's not real acting and they aren't Jewish so no one will ever take them seriously

Pollen wiped out the unions.

they pay the voice actors an insane amount of money and the programmers, animators, and art directors have to fight for what's left.
seiuus also enjoy mild celebrity status and they also have to maintain apparances and pretend to not know what sex is or else their rabid fans will send death threats and take pictures of themselves snapping every single anime-related thing they own that you've ever starred in

what even the fuck

Voice actors are basically sacred there. To the point where the writers will change the plot and kill off a character if the VA quits or dies.

>divide by 14(number of years CoD has been around)
>.3214 million dollars per year
>split between ALL actors involved in the ENTIRE franchise
Sounds like a really REALLY shitty salary to me.

are you guys talking about video game VAs or anime/manga VAs? the latter i can understand, but has any video game ever drastically changed because a VA demanded it?

Read the thread, this was for one game.

>manga VAs

It's way more lenient in vidya, take for example Guilty Gear series that had a fuckload of VA changes and at least one death.

>manga
>VAs
Vidya VAs are a lot more lenient, but when it comes to anime they'll write out that character in a fucking heartbeat if the VA doesn't have a groomed, perfect successor who has 101% accuracy in mimicking the voice with no hiccups ever.

They could've picked pretty much any guy off the street to voice any of those roles and I say that as someone who has played and loved most COD games until recently.

unless you are some famous singer, then is like they wanted you for the job than you looking for them.

Just remove all VO from games desu, then nobody will be underpaid

also revshare is bullshit and nobody who works on a game are inherently entitled to anything more than the costs of their labor it is used properly as a bargaining chip for chasing in demand talent of any field, not only voice actors

Voice actors are legitimately undervalued. Hell, all the artists are. VAs are just in a better position to negotiate because their work often becomes inextricable from certain characters. Shit, look at Solid Snake.

>VAs are just in a better position to negotiate
you can't negotiate when the company paying your salary doesn't give a fuck

So negotiate for gross percent instead of fixed commission.

Oh wait, most gross percent cuts are less than 1%.
Oh wait, most games aren't CoD and don't make $15 billion.
Oh wait, 0.03% of $15 billion is $4.5 million.

Reliable income that passes up one-in-a-billion successes, or lottery tickets for a living?

>wage worker deserves more returns from enterprises they never invested in
I too want to become a millionaire by working on a comfy studio for a bout a week.

Working culture in Japan generally stops any major drama before it even starts.

And how much of that $15 billion goes into the other peoples salaries?

Well, let's take the Metal Gear series for example.

The Japanese actress who voiced Nastasha Romanenko in MGS1 didn't like doing VA work for video games. As a result, the character hasn't appear in another game (though the character did show up in a few of the novels).

The Japanese actor who played Roy Campbell died a few years back, and as a result, Kojimia retired the character, he won't appear in another game.

They've been on strike for like, more than a year now? If they can afford to do that with a strike nobody cares about I'd say they're paid well enough.

No one cares when it's just a bunch of grunting. Fighting games change VAs like clothes.

To be fair, apart from the greedy "we deserve more money, because uhmm the games make a lot", they did raise some valid concerns like having breaks in between strenuous va sessions.

Specialized videogame voice actors are an unnecessary luxury.
Its the easiest aspect of a game to cheap out on, because even if there are literally no professional VAs there will always be tens of thousands of low level tv/film/stage actors who might not care about videogames but would be pleased as fuck to show up at a recording studio for a couple afternoons and be able to make another rent payment, and they'll do 90% as good a job.

And neither is the voice actor. If having "popular" voice actors translated into sales, they'd be paid accordingly.

awww poor baby has to speak into the mic a bunch for hundreds of thousands of dollars boohoo

>'wow I can't wait to hear Troy Baker when I frag those charlies'
-Nobody

If your voice was your primary source of income, you'd sure as fuck do everything not to compromise it.

You try talking for 8+ hours every day and see how long your voice lasts.

To be serious, I dont like the strike and I dont think they deserve that much money in games that have a utility focus that isnt narrative based. But the strike currently is having a few negative effects on the industry, yes I know this video is on fallout 4 however the process which creates the disconnect is a form of standard for bigger publishers causing the disconnected and crap acting provided in a lot of voice acting,

youtube.com/watch?v=YaOSPUtjidY

Not a point in the VAs corner to me of course, just saying they are causing notable damage.

>user makes a thread to shill for companies that screw VAs and devs
>pretend it's "for the devs"
>Doesn't actually do shit for the devs at all
I don't get why so many people here suck corporate dick. I have to imagine most are whiny teens who have an imagined grudge against or are jealous of a voice actor, and decide "fuck all those people". So what? You want more Silent Hill HD collection type bullshit?

>"literally who?"s who couldn't hack it in Hollywood want better compensation than real actors

I work in a call centre pal, I do it for a living.

LOL get a real job if you're that fragile.
I do talk 8+ hours a day and I have never, not ONCE had any trouble whatsoever. Maybe they should develop stronger vocal cords instead of being a bitch made fruit that can't talk without getting a sore throat. Just my 2 cents on the matter, cheers.

>every day
>implying they actually work that much
Hilarious, They have to pay out the ass normally for the time they spend there which normally results in them hardly even fucking being there. They pay for hours worked not how many times you didnt fuck up.

>LOL get a real job if you're that fragile.
user, you're 12. And since your voice hasn't changed yet, I won't even tell you to become a VA, since it's so easy.

No one believes you about talking all day. You talk to yourself because you're a friendless fag.

Akio really is iconic as Snake, they can't remove him.

0.03% of $15 billion is $450 million. Is that not enough? What about all the other people listed in the credits?

RE2 remake won't have the original voice of Claire or any established voice of Leon. People are going to notice.

Frank's voice is wrong in DR4. People noticed.

Voice acting in MvCI is shit. People noticed.

And the funny thing of it? Capcom isn't even part of the VA strike. They just want to go cheaper and cheaper, and it shows.

I talk a lot because I am constantly communicating with my employees. Don't project your underage status and inability to productively work in society onto other people. VAs in video games are worthless and they're lucky they get employed at all.

the only dude who should be getting money for talking is the dude who does the kill streaks

I just turn down the voice volume in every game now, hearing an npc or god forbid my character repeat the same one liners fifty times gets old really fast. Then because the cutscenes take too long when I'm just reading I skip them and get to ignore whatever these wannabe movie script doctors try to pass off as a narrative.

>Mcdonalds has made 1000000 billion to date
>....but cashiers only make .001 of that

>Now show what the actual programmers and artist get.
Okay.

gamasutra.com/salarysurvey2014.pdf

The average U.S. programmer makes $93,000, and the average artist makes $73,000. Keep in mind that a lot of game studios are in California, so that skews the statistics. In Europe, the average dev makes about $43,000 a year.

i thought the strike was about better working conditions so they could protect their voices. They also want more money? Fuck that

Fucking this, The only thing worth paying significantly for is whats multiplayer based.

This statistic will never not baffle me. That's literally the same thing as saying "Apple is worth over $750 billion to date. The janitors received only .00000000001%". There is no fucking correlation between how much a dumpster employee makes to the company as a whole.

Are English voice actors even needed in RPGs? Dubs in JRPGs are almost always bad. At least with subs you don't have to cringe when a 30 year old smoker tries to sound like 15 year old while mispronoucing a Japanese name. And the need to have every WRPG fully voiced, killed hidden and branching questlines. Text was fast and cheap, so having something be seen by only a small subset of players was possible. Now you need to record every line, which not only takes VAs but also a recording crew and studio. Why take all this effort for something only 5% of your players will see. I hope they keep being on strike, maybe we'll get some more actually good RPGs.

there have only been two games in which voice acting genuinely improved the game.

its fluff

Are you really so bad at math that you misplace the decimal by two spaces?

And if the games sucked ass, the devs eat the cost. Meanwhile, voice actors can just move on to another game, as their careers aren't ruined in the same way normal actors are.
Remind me again why so many commies don't understand these simple ideas

>I talk a lot because I am constantly communicating with my employees.
Holy shit, you're a middle management faggot? HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! You fucking boss around people who do REAL WORK and then complain about others? That's is rich! I expected something pathetic, but not that. Holy shit, that made my night. Thanks user!

They all live in california so they have to pay out the ass to fucking breathe, They think they are getting fucked due to how they project what class they should be living in.

why? they should have moved on to bigger projects than lending their talent to video games all their lives.

if you want big money go for big jobs.

What would happen if all voice actors were replaced for more realistic Vocaloid modules?
Would there be a chimpout?

Are they still striking? I hope they're on it forever

I work in a major AAA studio and I'm not on board with all they are asking for.

Some complaint are legit.
For exemple, they ask compensation , supervision or training when voice actors are asked to do motion capture.

Depending on the game, mocap can be pretty physical and it's not VAs primary job to perform stunt. It's a legit request that this should be more looked into.

But for the money I think it's ridiculous. Depending on the project, if a game is profitable but not profitable enough, my cut could be extremely low (getting less than 100$ on a AAA that earn benefice is hard to get...) and even if VAs work hard, the time they spend on the project is extremly small.

Some major VAs dubling the main character can works a few weeks, a dev can works 3-5 years per game.

>try to make argument on voice stress
>guy makes a counter argument
>person 1 says nuh uh ur a kid
>person 2 says they are middle management that has to speak all the time
>person 1 takes that as a meaningful thing to deny the legitimacy of person 2s argument on

Hilarious.

Great VA>no VA>shitty VA>mediocre VA = VA you've already heard a thousand times in other games

How are videogames not big jobs yet? Why do we even have voice acting in videogames if some publishers don't consider it important.

Publishers are going to fuck your favorite dev no matter how this strike goes. The strike isn't against devs, it's against publishers. Of all the things that we accuse paid shills of coming to Sup Forums on, I think this is the most obvious. Publishers love fucking all of their employees, and if VAs get a successful strike, devs would eventually have a shot at the time. They can't have that. That's what this is really about.

Basically. My older brother is a stuntman and he makes pretty decent money.

Honestly, I could do without dubs in my games.
I miss when games would just do cute gibberish in lieu of voice acting.
No need to localize anything if it's not a language.

This, people thinking that these voice actors are putting in a significant amount of time that takes away from their ability to do other profitable things are idiotic.

I thought Leon has been without his RE4 VA for a while in favor of Mercer

how terrible that they got the money the were owed based on the contracts they willingly signed

They're never going to be successful with their strikes even if it goes on for an entire decade. VA aren't essential to the production of any games, and game company can always hire a bunch random nobody to do the job.

Its more a thing of how little work they put in and how much they are asking for out of it, a va isnt likely to be taken away from any other work for half a year due to working on a video game project.

Not only are they wanting a flat increase for their small time put in, they are also wanting to have profit after the project is released that is connected to how successful the game is.

Don't get me wrong, the guys that do the actual meat of the work are actually taken advantage of and treated like shit, especially in cases where its a publisher that is publicly owned. However even though this is the case, what vas are asking for for the most part is ridiculous.

A large part of that is just Capcom being retarded. They pretty much always do the wrong thing.
You can't cut costs without quality suffering, that's pretty much universally true, but VAs getting a royalty would significantly increases costs without really increasing quality, so by instead putting some of that money into more auditions or directing they can maintain a similar level of quality by spending a similar level of money.
The guy that voiced Laurentius in Dark Souls and Felkin in Dark Souls 2 for example, is a successful but not famous tv/movie actor. I'm sure he wasn't the cheapest option, but he did a great job and those are the only games he's done. The guy that voiced Frampt and Straid has done everything from stage acting to audiobooks.
There are a ton of people with good voices and the skills to use them, because every actor needs to be able to voiceact as well.

Correction, we are not all taking advantage of and treated like shit.

A lot of major AAA studios are okay if you are okay with putting some extra hours from time to time.

But yeah... some studios are incredibly shitty to their devs (Rockstars for exemple, some EA studios, etc...)

They earn shit because no one cares about them. People do not play games to hear English-speaking whores read lines poorly.

Maybe if they lived in Japan, where idol culture surrounds seiyuus and people will obsess over them, to such a point where they make more than the people animating the show, but it's not. This is America, and Americans give less than two fucks about the disgusting cock suckers who speak in a booth for video game and cartoon characters. I hope they keep striking and it causes localisation companies to have to not put a dub over video games and anime from Japan, because that's just a waste of space on the disc and a waste of time when I have to switch the audio over.

THIS, holy shit. Like, some games actually work with just text and a comfy and memorable sound to indicate dialogue is being said.

I figured the part where I said "especially when they are publicly owned" would imply im not meaning its a market standard but I guess the implication wasnt made well enough, thanks for the correction.

What I'd like is for people to just be more informed on these things so that way they cant be taken advantage of in the usual tactics of outrage politics.