We must dissent

We must dissent.

Other urls found in this thread:

alphacentauri2.info/wiki/The_Self-Aware_Colony
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

She was right
All that technology was used to just kill humans and make everyone into slaves

The Morgans fear what may not be purchased, for a trader cannot comprehend a thing that is priceless.

*purchases your bases*

Yet you can buy faith
Or morals

Morals and faith may be very nice, but temples and schools are expensive. Philosophers and priests need to justify their existence by being useful to society.

No they do not

You can't exactly have an economically prosperous and stable society if it's not based on solid functional value system.
That said, the way philosophy (and to a lesser degree, in a secular society, religion) interacts and influences the society itself is complicated and while non-trivial, it's also nearly inmeasureable. Plus: despite what you might thing, both will exist and have influence regardless of whenever the state pays them or not.

>state

Uhhh... yeah. That is who pays for most academia in most of the countries in the world, and it has been so for most of our history.

What exactly is your point? What is the fucking point of absolutely vapid-nothing saying shitposts like these?
Are you too much of a fucking coward to actually state your point or issue?

who morgan here

Ideology power rankings

The Lord's Believers > Peacekeeping Forces > Gaia's Stepdaughters > Morgan Industries > University of Planet > Spartan Federation > Human Hive

>don't mind me guys, just using my free ultra-high speed network nodes as "hologram theatres"(torrenting the morganite movie industry)

>the human hive
>leader is chinese

Tell me Abram, if science is so great, why can't STEMfaggots make their own kino?

>You will never play strategy vidya with zakharov

This is an Alpha Centauri thread. The exchange was half actual discussion, half roleplaying as the characters. On of them is the businessman Morgan. On the lore he's just the president of his conpany, and his society has an unrestricted market. But, even though he's some sort of ancap, he functions like the other factions in the game, with total control over society. The character even has a quote saying that he never aimed to estabilish a monopoly, his products are so good no one wants to compete.

>tfw you realize Pravin Lal is the only leader who isn't a complete fucking monster, with Godwinson the only possible exception.
>tfw you realize humanitarianism is actually pretty based.

>fascist gets elected by having a massive number of retards voting for him
Damn, just like in real life...

inb4 someone brings up his cloned wife as if it's some kind of atrocity on the scale of bioterrorism or mad scientist experiments

What did Morgan ever do wrong?

>Lal can clone his wife to suit his needs
>but Yang cloning citizens for his needs is somehow despicable

>Here are 0 credits. Do not waste them.

He is basically every stereotype of the evil capitalist incarnate. Everything and everyone is a commodity to him, his own wealth is all that matters, worlds and peoples be damned. That is not to mention the hypocrisy of someone championing the free market while being the sole ruler of practically every market.

different reasons for the cloning
slavery on such a massive scale opens up many questions and issues like "2nd class citizenry" and human rights

>the hypocrisy of someone championing the free market while being the sole ruler of practically every market
Can it really be a "free" market if you're not free to create a monopoly?

>The Chairman is the proverbial "incorruptible man"

I don't know, it's the eternal question, just like if a democracy is really a democracy if it can't abolish itself.

How do I get the other to like me? I saw on the wiki that being the strongest makes other factions like you less, but no one likes me when I'm weak either

>morgan
>nerve stapled his citizens when they found out about the *experiments* he was running in the research hospital
>bundled shitty morgansoft network software with the network nodes; programming was so poor it caused a disgruntled QA staffer to revolt and create a haxor faction

I LOVE female leaders, they are always an excellent idea

There are a bunch of factors. Out of the ones I know:

>what ideologies you are using; certain factions love certain ones, certain factions hate certain ones; sharing an ideology pretty much guarantees you can become friends if you try
>how nice you are to them
>what their aggression is (Deidre and Morgan are the only factions set to peaceful, University and Lal are middling and the rest are aggressive)
>how dominated they are by you
>game difficulty; set it to transcendent and you will be betrayed all the fucking time

But Hillary lost, user.

Whats this game like? You faggots have me interested now.

But Hillary(male) won though.

I just finished a game as Deidre. Yang and Miriam declared war on me a couple of times, even though I was far stronger and curbstomped them without losing any unit. Yang was even on another continent, never reached me and had plenty of land to expand. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with these people.

Yang, Miriam and Spartans are always going to start a vendetta unless you suck their dicks really hard, and then they'll wait a few turns before declaring a vendetta. If you ever meet those three, just get to genociding because it is the only act of diplomacy they understand.

the genejacks aren't complaining
maybe you should try checking your cerebral cortex privilege before making up problems for others

Turn based strategy, much like Civilization but in sci-fi clothing.
Combat is an absolute ass, the game has way too many elements to micro-manage and gets easily tiresome (you can automate much of it though, tankfuly), A.I. is usually pretty retarded.

That said, it's pretty complex and offers a lot of options and opportunities, and the planetary simulation behind it is seriously impressive.

It's also one of the best sci-fi works you'll find in the medium. The "main story" of sorts that it has, the settings, the technologies it proposes, all of that is really, really well written and presented, and it's WELL worth playing for that aspect alone.

old and slightly unwieldy 4x game with lots of proverbs and neat little cutscenes. If you're in it for the story just read actual science-fiction instead. It's more efficient and you don't have to deal with the ass combat. Start with Asimov, Heinlein and Clark.

It's pretty much old Civilization in space. Each faction has a fairly unique strategy and means of victory, instead of just an unit and a bonus like in Civ.
It's remembered fondly mostly because of the great characters, and having a plot that's better than most RPGs, despite being turn based strategy.

Deirdre was right.

It's slightly expanded Civ2, terraforming and wildlife make it unique among Civ games.
The game sells on atmosphere, which it oozes from start to finish.

If you keep up with the TBS scene, the French figured it out and Endless Space/Legends series are based on the same vein, except they also force extreme differentiation of factions to enhance gameplay further.

cyber russia is best faction

>godwinson
>its fine to destroy intellectual integrity

*riots*

>Some would ask, how could a perfect God create a universe filled with so much evil. They have missed a greater conundrum; why would a perfect God create a universe at all?

>godwinson
>destroy intellectual integrity
Since when ?

>dominate Santiago
>she offers servitude
>accept it
>for the rest of the game she becomes your personal cheerleader as you stomp everyone
>every night you pound that sweet puerto rican puss before ordering another planet buster and feel her squeeze down on you

>first turns no science
>then retards science advancement
>fundamentalist social engineering flavor text indicates you get a science loss because of faggy christians

>having feelings
>getting laid
Disgusting primitives

>turns out she's autistic not because she's a cyborg but because she's a nordsperg

>steal tech on base capture
>when you have +2 research

Cleanest toilets on Planet

Ummm no sweetie how about you do your research before speaking instead of relying on "ebil christian" memes
>she can't research during first 10 turns because she cannonically lands with a broken colony pod full with people suffering from radiation sickness
>advocates science in multiple pieces of flavour text
>compared to real life and taking their population into account their research rate is insane so anti-science argument isn't going to work
>GURPS flavour text let us know her society encourages discussion, questioning their own beliefs and find in answers to questions raised
>her aggressive in game behaviour does not reflect her peacefull canonical personality

OH im sorry was that your ocean tile?
Daily reminder that pandora first contact has a SMAC factions mod

is there like a mega download for this game?

>pandora first contact has a SMAC factions mod
How does it compare to the Civ IV Planetfall mod? (Never played Pandora)

>implying 10 years of no research is because helping people when provisioner "I care so much ab out people they become talents" lal doesnt need that
>advocates science only when it works for her militaristic agenda, she hates teleportation until she can use it to quickly invade other cities
>comparing real life years with ingame years
>fanfic
>hurr durr if it doesnt fit my headcanon its not true

>pandora first contact
Is it good ?

Smax's factions were pointless, but Sven was the worst of them all

Just pirate the GoG version

>LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALA I AM RIGHT LALALA I AM GOING TO IGNORE ALL OF YOUR ARGUMENTS LALALA I AM RIGHT LALALA

This is literally you right now

Yeah its like an 8 on my top list of games
Ive never played civ but my cousin has told me it was just as time consuming
Nah man YOURE pointless

Technology must never usurp man
Technology exists to serve man, not rule over it

How could technology ever usurp man?

t. meatbag

alphacentauri2.info/wiki/The_Self-Aware_Colony

Childhood is idealising Zakharov, adulthood is realising Miriam was right

AI, addiction to technology, over reliance on technology preventing people from carrying out basic tasks unaided etc etc

Miriam did nothing wrong

This could have been a fantasy SMAC homage. It did so much right, with every faction having unique gameplay mechanics. If only they had added voice acted factions and memorable quotes it would have been incredible.

What's wrong with AIs?

fuck off you filthy landlubber, pirates are objectively the most comfy faction there is.

Childhood is idealising Lal, adulthood is realising Yang is right

They do not understand mortality and thus morals that come from it

>play game as a kid
>the gaians are obviously the good guys right

>play it again older
>what the fuck was I thinking

If we make an AI that doesn't understand morality then that is entirely on us. There is literally nothing stopping an AI from being able to understand morality

Yang literally clones them with brain damage so that they are too stupid to ever do or desire anything except the menial labour he wants them for, it is not remotely the same

The thing that made SMAC so good was that all the things in the game were a logical progression from the present. It was believable and quite hard science-fiction.

EL meanwhile largely exists in a vacuum. That doesn't mean that it could not have had as good world building as SMAC, but it never would have had the emotional impact on people that Alpha Centauri had.

This
She is my role model, you need to be exceptionally strong leader to survive and prosper with a broken colony pod stripped of It's resources by other factions filled with people suffering effects of being exposed to vacuum and radiation.

>countless faggots won't play this game because it's old and say the newer civs are better

You cannot code in morality, you have to make the AI learn morality by itself
Which can be hard because it does not have a "childhood"

the ui is a bit fiddly desu

playing civ is truly pleb though

An AI can absolutely have a childhood, what the fuck are you talking about?
Additionally, why can we not code in morality?

I dont know how rich they are but getting no voiceacting is better than shitty voiceacting. Considering its made in unity and really seems like a small but inspired game I dont think they couldve gotten it right.

And the entire plot is different, endless legend is a bunch of people trying to get the fuck of their planet, SMAC is about the nature of government when everything is wiped clean.

>tfw you were around and bought the game, the pinnacle of the genre, when it was brand new
I wish I was wise enough to keep the full box and huge manual.

Is this before or after she helped the beaner insurrection of the ship causing it to crash?

>when they say beyond earth is the successor to SMAC

AI comes prebaked with all the code we give it
So it will fail to question many values and probably act by those values before it learns that things are more dynamic than they seem to be
Morals are very dynamic. AI thinks in absolutes.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

You're talking out your ass, user

that shit is fairly common these days

>let's just make another shitty rehash, but try to get the attention of people who liked a good game from ages ago

You just don't get it