"Videogames will never be a legitimate art form" - David Glimour

>"Having once made the statement above, I have declined all opportunities to enlarge upon it or defend it. That seemed to be a fool's errand, especially given the volume of messages I receive urging me to play this game or that and recant the error of my ways. Nevertheless, I remain convinced that in principle, video games cannot be art. Perhaps it is foolish of me to say "never," because never, as Alejandro Jodorowsky informs us, is a long, long time. Let me just say that no video gamer now living will survive long enough to experience the medium as an art form."

Was he right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1L2ntzCTZHY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes. It's garbage bread and circuses, nothing more.

I generally don't go to movie critics for opinions on oil paintings, so frankly I'm not going to take the word of a musician on video games. He's entitled to his opinion.

Gilmour didn't say that

Waaaah why cant my poopoo games by art?!?!

>Meme Floyd

Paul Gilbert said that, you liar!

youtube.com/watch?v=1L2ntzCTZHY

>squeeze the shitposters out of Sup Forums
>they come here instead

>the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

How is it not art by definition?

I would like to know what he considers as art.

this is the last great Sup Forums pasta

Video games are just a way to make money. They aren't art.

It's better that games stay games and not art.

So what if someone releases a video game for free? Does that make it art?

Fistful of Frags features no method of spending cash in any way.

>claims x isn't art
>doesn't define art

wew lads

remember that time Ebert got cancer?

I guess all those Renaissance paintings and sculptures done under commission from rich patrons are fucking trash then.

"Art" isn't a real thing

David Gilmour is too busy playing music to take the time out of his day to play a game that could be considered art. He sees what is the most played games in mainstream video games and excuses it as trash. It's like saying music cannot be art because I turn on the radio and nothing I listen to reaches out to me the way the artists who I am fond of reach out to me. It's hypocrisy.

>An individual person creating their singular, unalterable vision of something held sacred for the highest classes of society
vs
>A team of people making an interactive experience meant to be consumed by the masses

I don't care either way.

Renaissance paintings mostly weren't made by individuals, but a master and their apprentices. The master signed the painting.

Says the guy who writes/plays songs that appeal to teenagers and those with the musical depth of teenagers. The guy can barely find his way around the guitar neck.

Then what is theater then? Or Cinema?

Art = creativity + time.

Meant to quote this.

Fuck off, Ubisoft.

Hurf durf the director's vision something something one person in creative control.

They are art, they're just not 'high' art for cultured faggots to masturbate their egos over.

Disregarding the obvious bait, some video games are art, some aren't.

Just like I'm not going to consider an Adam Sandler movie "art", while I'll consider Mulholland Drive art.