Build grids

>build grids
>city looks ugly
>don't build grids
>city looks ugly

How do I make a good looking Cities Skylines Thread?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PP1pmL-fNPQ
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=522776740
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just copy real cities.

use grids sparingly
don't base your city around giant fuck-off interchanges unless you have a clever way of disguising them (lowered terrain with trees around it, maybe)

seriously just keep everything tighter together. nothing's uglier than a sparsely-populated city spread over a huge area with empty space and highway connecting its parts

Like this? The richest city in USA.

>perfectly circular lake
>jagged-edged corners all around it

*cringe*

Grid cities look nice

what the hell do you do with your starting roads right when you first start out? they come right off the highway so you can't just transition into town roads, but you can't connect them to more highway because you don't have any city yet?

My biggest issue with the game is not knowing how to start

How do I make money at the start?
I build houses and amenities, but I just lose money and then I'm in too much debt to do anything.

highways are overrated
just cobble something together with one-way roads or whatever, leave a little space, and start building

industry/commerce?
also make sure you're monitoring how much power/water you're providing, cranking those down to the bare minimum will save you a lot of cash

think in circles

Does anyone else steal people interchanges and downgrade them to one way roads and two way streets so you can build them at the start of the game instead of waiting till you have highways or bigger roads..?

TUNNELS

Is it worth buying? 7€ at moment.
Is it only enjoyable with workshop stuff?

Jew York City is not a good looking city.

WORLD

if you're into city builders sure
its a modern sc4

Please no.

Play more Team Fortress 2 which gives you a good idea of city design

I'd buy it for you + all the DLC if you looked like that

one time I built a whole city like that, it looked like crop circles

What cities look like from the sky has little to do with how they look on the ground. Why do you care that it looks ugly?

Does the game still require you to dispose of sewer in the water bodies? That was the deal-breaker for me. That's not how wastewater treatment works.

No but thank you
youtube.com/watch?v=PP1pmL-fNPQ

>Does the game still require you to dispose of sewer in the water bodies?
yes
>not wanting to make your own poo lakes

So this is the power of roundabouts...

>go download maps
>all the top maps require 6 different mods
why

this single screenshot sold me on the game. DLing now.

i see your roundabout is creating fusion

literally nothing wrong with grids

except being inefficient as fuck

Grids are the very definition of efficiency.

build a skeleton road first then connect it to the existing highway

not in this game

so among snowfall, natural disaster and mass transit, which are worth getting

snowcities are confy as fuck

if you were to only get one mass transit. disasters is really meh, and snowfall is personal preference if you want to make comfy winter towns.

assuming you have after dark, snowfall. mass transit is good, but isn't on sale. natural disasters was a disappointment, imo.

can someone post "fuck the police" webm? thanks

that's a fucking roundandaroundandaroundandaroundabout

this one?

am I winning

>not flooding the valley with poo

yeah, thanks man

Break the dam

I like it, spgahetti is the best but i have autism so I keep building efficient interchanges instead

unfortunately it's an old webm from near release when there were a lot more threads. All I have are a few more screenshots of a different valley being flooded

this is all i can see

>he doesn't have a double roundabout cloverleaf cyclone interchange

could you imagine how long it'd take a city to build one of these

China could probably build one in 2 weeks

>he doesn't grow his cities organically

organic doesn't mean anything

Fuck off Monsanto.

Surprise surprise they look like shit in real life too.

>it take 2 week to build, i thought it last at least 2 weeks before fall down

Never, it's a completely impractical design.

Heres the piece of shit I'm currently working on.

That wasn't the point you autistic retard. He said "imagine how long it would take to build that" not "woah how practical and feasible is such a design?"

Is it at all fun or practical to create a small town with a focused industry and just manage it, with minimal expansion?

If not, what are some games that you can do this?

It is if you make several in the same map. Make like five or six satellite towns vs one big city.

It's also a matter if you find detailing fun or not cause that's all there's left to do after making small towns, go autismal on detailing.

>grids are bad

>take roundabout
>see Jim doing his job on 50th floor of building
in that world would they use 16 wheelers to attack towers?

>Build X way because you have zero creativity
>Build Y way because you have zero creativity and Sup Forums said Y way was best.
>Doesn't matter which way you build because you also have no idea how to plan cities and your traffic kills your city.
>Cry on Sup Forums

The cycle is complete once more.

here's a good starting guide on traffic
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=522776740

That seems really great, thank you

find a map with interesting terrain to build on, build your city to fit the terrain

>reinstall cities
>resist the urge to install hundreds of mods because my computer cant run with that shit on
>fail to resist
this is my curse

What kind of motherboard is that?

i would hate to drive on that

Copy Denver, faggot. It has a glorious skyline.

mr bones wild roundabout

I think the secret is to stop designing cities, and to start designing districts.

Think small. Think if you made a small neighborhood of 100 homes, how would you want it laid out that people would like it, that it was attractive. Design it area by area, rather than by planning by efficiency. If you play by efficiency you will always come to the same outcome.

>Denver
Urban renewal from the 50s-70s was a mistake

That city is a grid city though.

Just because the roads inbetween grids are off doesnt make it a non grid city.

Na. Cars and roads were a mistake. To make room for cars and traffic we needed bigger roads, moving everything apart and making it harder to get around.

Cars should let you get to the outside of a city, but everything in the city should be within walking/bike/public transport distance. Preferably underground railways.

What I hate most about Cities Skyline is that building area is limited to roads, you cant make a pedestrian pathway with buildings on it. Or just free standing buildings, people can walk across grass paradox you dumb twats you dont have to tie everything to roads.

>you cant make a pedestrian pathway with buildings on it.

there's a mod for it, but emergency vehicles still have to drive to buildings that require them.

>people can walk across grass paradox you dumb twats you dont have to tie everything to roads.
B-But the goods vans...

>there's a mod for it
You dont happen to remember its name do you?

You did build grids though. Grid highways. Of course it looks fucking ugly

i think it's part of the big network extension mod?

I think your city is very nice user.

Denmark gets it right. Or specifically Copenhagen. You have roads like pic that only delivery trucks are allowed on, so the traffic flow is almost entirely during the very early morning or at night for deliveries/pick ups for stores, and the rest of the dya everyone can walk around the city quickly because it isnt filled with roads for more traffic.

Thats what I dont like about these 'city builders'. They are actually just grid builders based around modern American style cities which is artery/vein/capillary road systems throughout the entire city. It has no culture or style to any of it.

It's a shame that Skylines focuses more on traffic than simulating a city. Between this and Sim City 4 all of the ingredients for the perfect city builder are there, someone just needs to put them together in the correct order.

>Thats what I dont like about these 'city builders'. They are actually just grid builders based around modern American style cities which is artery/vein/capillary road systems throughout the entire city. It has no culture or style to any of it.
I just want a victorian-esque city builder where you grow a small village into an industrial metropolis

>stopping at intersections: the city

How far apart should bus stops be placed? How far will these fags walk to one? Is it worth mirroring each stop with a stop on the other side of the roade?

>It's a shame that Skylines focuses more on traffic than simulating a city
I know right, shit sucks

Let your city flow together more instead of making weird autismo districts of one type of zone separated by spaghetti highways.

Basically copy what a real city does, look on Google Maps.

>with a stop on the other side of the road
That's not how it works in real life, unless NPCs can't cross the street just stick them on one side.

As autistic as it sounds, i find the best way is to take it slow and building by building

Been redoing the merge and the junction after it.

Can I get achievements on steam even if I use mods?

Mods disable achievements. There is a mod that reenables them.

rip farms

I wish Skylines had nice big farms.

Jesus fuck those camera angles, It's like you don't want us to see anything.

bump

what are the best mods/workshop items to use?

im new