Is the "Immersive Sim" actually back with games like Prey, or is it still just a meme

Is the "Immersive Sim" actually back with games like Prey, or is it still just a meme

It's not, Prey flopped.

meme.

Nobody wants hard videogames. Just give me a quest marker and flashy graphics.

DXMD too, what a shame.
It was a good game.

It's gone back into hibernation for another 10 years. Please buy PUBG.

System Shock 2 sold 60,000 copies and yet was a massive inspiration for decades to follow. Similarly with Deus Ex, except that had more monetary success

It had this awful, stupid, amazingly terrible narrative that destroys any good that game had in it

>immersive sim

What in the actual fuck is that even supposed to mean?

>Immersive sims are primarily concerned with making players feel as though they are truly experiencing a believable world by creating mechanics that feel appropriate and logical within the game world and try to avoid feeling arbitrarily 'Gamey'.

>This school of game design was established by Looking Glass Studios with Thief, Underworld, and System Shock. The concept of immersive sims is still alive today in games such as BioShock, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Dishonored.

It should be noted that not all of these characteristics are necessarily required for games to fall into this category
>Immersion in an elaborate and believable game world.
>Simulation: physics and AI are used to create believable behavior in objects and characters which the player can freely interact with, resulting in 'emergent gameplay'.
>First-person perspective so as to truly look through the eyes of the protagonist.
>Game design that allows for multiple paths and/or multiple solutions in every situation.
>A systemic game world that keeps track of the player's actions, which can affect the "whole" game.
>open-ended/non-linear game design with an emphasis on choice and consequence.
>Full control over the player's character in every situation.
>A world with consistent rules that the player can interact with.
>Narrative that is not always forced on the player, but instead can be told through exploration and gameplay at that players will.
>No fail states, beyond player death.

So literally every game is an 'immersive sim'?

What a pointless arbitrary term.

►►387916264
I choose to ignore half the posts to generate (You)s

Arbitrary subgenre for games like Deus Ex, System Shock and Thief. Next time use google, you underage fuck.

Welcome to semantics. Want to play a soulslike metroidvania while you're here?

All those latest "immersive sims" are just parroting earlier games. DX2, Dishonored 2 and Prey brought nothing new to the genre. It's dead, bury it.

Basically pretentious Metroidvania.

Sorry bud, no publisher will go with your grand plan for a game if you haven't hit them sales and metacritic milestones.

Stop lumping DX with those stealth games. DX is an RPG. You talk a lot, you do quests, you make moral choices. It's not flipping Thief.

I'm still so sad this game ended up the way it did. Human Revolution was really good, it had its fair share of problems but it was a shining fucking beacon in the dark shitfest that is modern AAA gaming. And then this games gives us a shit story, shit characters, even fewer hubs, and all the cool mysteries are just thrown in as sequel-bait. What a shame.

Everytime I play a game that's like this it becomes one of my favorites.

Immersive Sims are the goat genre.

Soulslike is actually a very well defined genre that shares everything down to controls. Name ONE just ONE hack and slash game where you hack and slash using trigger buttons that isn't a soulslike.

With Square Enix as the publisher, it was always doomed.

>tfw when none of these modern immersive sims compare to Looking Glass classics
>tfw western game design died with Looking Glass Studios

>DX2
?

MD's hubs were actually much better than HR's hubs. HR's level were short and linear as hell, MD's city felt open and changed over time. It's good.

Dynasty Warriors

Why am I seeing a bunch of Trump photoshopped into Deus Ex everywhere? Where is that pic from?

I obviously mean Sonic Adventure DX: 2nd print.

you're a fucking retard

Metal Gear Rising Revengence

Really? Jesus, I haven't played that trash in a while. Still, you get the point. It's not normal.

There is no recent game with anything even similar to DX2 as far as I'm aware

Because a picture of him looking at the eclipse in eclipse glasses looks like JC looking towards the sun.

Just admit you're wrong, there no shame in that

Fake news

it not a genre ffs it's a "Formula" just like immersive sims, just like the bethesda open world formula.

Devil May Cry

I obviously meant the new desu sex game. Can't be bothered to remember what it's called or what the actual number for it is, I assumed people reading the post will connect the dots

There was nothing amazingly terrible about Mankind Divided's plot, the problem was that it was too short.

>Is the "Immersive Sim" actually back with games like Prey, or is it still just a meme

Not anymore.

Deus Ex is on hiatus.
Prey probably didn't sell that well.
Dishonored is ending story wise and 2 probably didn't sell that well either.

Ninja Gaiden

Fake news.

No-one will, mostly because the latest one is the fourth one in the series.

God of War

Mankind Divided is not Deus Ex 2 and no one ever called it that.

Not even Invisible War is called Deus Ex 2. Check yourself.

Arkane is the last studio that does those types of games, and its founder got the boot couple of months ago, probably due Prey poor sales

Fake news

>the problem was that it was too short.

The pacing was fucked, the game wasn't short.

Mankind Divided is basically as if you took the original Deus Ex and made it end right before you came to Hong Kong, only that you stretched the game out to last as long.

It also doesn't help that DE:MD pretty much only had 1 hub (golem city was pretty tiny and mostly just a normal level with civvies in it).

Yes yes, I'm drunk and I don't care, go away

No, not really. In every musou game I played you use the face buttons for attacks. You may get special attacks from shoulder buttons but your bread and butter normal and charge attacks are not there, unless you remap the default controls.

Either way I don't agree with "Soulslike" having something to do with the control scheme.

Way of the samurai

it's a meme but it's a meme I enjoy

i don't think having choices in how you approach things should warrant it's own subgenre

>Arkane is the last studio that does those types of games, and its founder got the boot couple of months ago, probably due Prey poor sales

They have 2. The studio was split in two. One's american and the other is french.

Fake news. Have I made my point yet?

Onimusha

What point did you make? You're just posting controller maps

Dead Rising

Yes, my original post was about controls. About using trigger and bumper buttons for attacks which is only common in soulslikes. Which I what I demonstrated to you several times now.

Bayonetta

Wrong

Great hack and slash game you've got there.

>and its founder got the boot couple of months ago

fuuuudge. that dude directed arx fatalis, dark messiah, dishonored 1 and prey

>games using buttons to control
Woooahhh

I prefer this edit of it cause of the lighting and watermarks

Are you retarded or just drunk? What's going on here? None of those games use shoulder buttons for attacks.

None of those games he posted is "soulslike"

Yes and they don't use the soulslike control scheme. Which proves my point. Thanks I guess.

Prague, for lack of a better phrase, had the depth of a puddle.
Also the ending was non-existent, I can't even remember a single boss battle through the game, while HR had 3 to 4

You need to play more games

Name ONE, I'm still waiting.

Can most immersive sims really be considered RPGs, or are they just games with RPG elements?

Look at HR, the only character building elements are weapon upgrading and skill trees that will be 80%-90% full by endgame, ruining the idea of "builds". Is this really an RPG?

It's dead. Prey, DEMD, Dishonored 2, all had poor sales.

Can't tell if bait or just being retarded

All did nothing new with the genre. 3 retarded attempts to cash in on the genre that isn't even popular.

Neither do I to be honest. You use the shoulder buttons to strike in Souls, you understand that right? In most hack and slash games you use face buttons to strike, correct? What the fuck is this, why do I need to explain this? Doesn't everyone who ever played a hack and slash game knows this?

Read the fucking replies retard

Soulslike doesn't exist. We're in the era of Souls clones, and nobody wants the fate of Roguelikes, so expect the definition of "Soulslike" to become 2 or 3 very general points like how "Doomclone" became "First Person Shooter"

Which one? God of War? That game doesn't use shoulder buttons for attacks. Are you retarded?

No one is even arguing with your point, what are you on about?

>No one is even arguing with your point
What are those people doing then?

D-dad?

Try to explain yourself then, instead of just posting pictures and saying nothing.

Autism, the post

I liked that about Prey. You'd have to grind like mad to get your skill trees above 50%, so you actually need to plan your build.

>Prey flopped
>DXMD flopped
>Dishonored 2 flopped
yes they're totally back dude hehe

>That autist who keeps going on with his shoulder buttons shit

>those retards that keep suggesting games that don't fit the category

i'm not on this guy's crusade but he's just being fed

They're posting examples of hack and slash games that are not Souls-like to prove that retard who said "all hack and slash games are soulslike" wrong. What are you go about here?

reminder that spector is a cucklord who can't stop talking shit about trump

am I in topsy turvy world? that guy's post said the exact opposite

Reminder that talking shit about your meme president is the only sane thing to do.

It actually did? Damn, it's a pretty good game.

>oh shit warren spector is on twitter, gotta follow the man
>timeline filled with MUH TRUMP MUH NAZIS
christ

don't worry Sup Forumsro, i'm with HER

Basically this.

Sup Forumstards fuck off.

>this washed up faggot who made his last good game 17 years ago is in charge of System Shock 3

I don't think I talked shit about obama during his entire 8 year presidency. Pic related is you

Reminder that talking shit about Muslim continents like Europe is the only sane thing to do.

@387920390
@387920503
@387920628
@387920648

I think "immersive sims" died because the gameplay just isn't exciting. You just know every level has some way for your build to bypass it, making it feel pointless to level stuff up because at the end of the day every single build could've done it, just in a slightly different way. That and how absolutely trivial they are for anyone with the slighest exploratory drive.