Is it worth learning nip to play untranslated games if you have nothing better to do?

Is it worth learning nip to play untranslated games if you have nothing better to do?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t-fcrn1Edik
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Kinda pathetic.

Atleast try learn relevant languages for better job prospects or even heck learn a programming language, learning nip for some shitty untranlsated hentai VN's is silly.

If you take an actual class, yes, because you get the social benefits. But I would say this about learning any language. Also, you shouldn't listen to the people saying Jap only takes a couple months to learn. They're either super geniuses or fucking liars.

no.
Get /fit/, learn to play violin, or learn C++
The effort you would have to put into it to read some poorly written visual novels is not worth it

don't listen to this user. get all the shitty untranslated hentai vn's you want

No, but learning it to fuck some cute nips IS worth it

Learning another language is always worthwhile, especially if you have a tangible reason to do so.

It's good only if you don't waste time of your life that you could spend in a better way.

If by games you mean VNs then yes

I'm using Google translate. The pic scan works okay but active translate comes up with some pretty funny shit.

you do get better job prospects by knowing jap. and learning a language vs. learning coding aren't really comparable
as for hentai VNs, that's not the only stuff that doesn't get translated. and even if it was I don't see a problem

WE MAINLY KANGZ N SHIEEET

As a spanish speaker japanese is extremely easy, I have problems with the runes because I hate drawing.

Anglos just suck at learning stuff.

Learning Japanese solely to play videogames, is like a Japanese person learning English, just to listen to rap music. In the end, you will still be puzzled by slang and modern day dialect.

No, the good games always gets translated either officially or by fans

at least you would be working on something

I can't picture any useful job one could have by knowing amateur japanese. If you want to be a translator for books, treaties, movies or games you have to get some certification. If you want to trade with nips you are supposed to know some other practical shit other that "oniichan cum on my toes". A degree in economy or some real world experience is needed. You can't be a touristic guide if you know only japanese, so there is really no use for it. Now, if it was about spanish, english, german or french i would get it, but japan is just too irrelevant

EXCEPT for the fact that english is used in most countries outside of Japan so they are actually forced to learn it if they want to go in any other country or job purposes.

It's a pasta guys.

>As a spanish speaker japanese is extremely easy

I wouldn't say its "extremely" easy, but its easier than for anglos, since we have the pronunciations down already. Also we already know a ton of verbs conjugations, wich is already fucking hard as balls to learn.

Japs could actually land some pretty good jobs if they learn English.

You gotta make it worth, at the beginning I just wanted to play untranslated games but now I actually want to move to japan to work at a big tech company and meet qts

well you've got a point there
I guess when I think "I want to know [language]" my definition of the word "know" would be "knowledgeable enough to be a fluent speaker" at which point getting certification would be pretty easy
but OP did specify learning it just to play games so I see what you're saying

If you watch anime & read manga too, it's perfect. You can help fellow anons doing some translating in the future. With VN it is harder, because that's all or nothing, you either can read or not. While watching animu with subtitles you can hear words, and sentences, and its structure. You can always run double subtitles with English/Romanji too. It's definitely harder to learn to read, than listen & speak.

Go to Sup Forums for serious resources in some language general, spend min. one hour a day, and use all bathroom for Duolingo exercises, any commutes to listening audio exercises. Be consistent.

And don't listen to:
Like getting money, or working out so some roasties will like you more is the only proper way.

Remember user, if you want it enough, you can learn it.

It is worth learning nip for far better things to do than playing vidya, user.

Like fucking well-paid jobs, but then again, you are a NEET, so why would you care about such thing

>well-paid jobs
lol

That's what I did and I'm pretty happy, if by games you means VNs of course. You'll feel pretty satisfied when you can read and understand stuff but there will be plenty of hard times too.

Wh...What? Japanese is literally one of the hardest language for a native english speaker to learn.

My BBF from uni is doing just great. I've studied Chinese, he was studying Japanese, we now both make over six average pays without putting any fucking effort into it, just because I speak fluent Chink and he speaks fluent Nip and Dutch.
Amazing what you can achieve with just a bit of language skills and a bit of audacity.

>Language proficiency in Polish
>In 44 weeks
>Learning Chinese
>In 88 weeks
Chyba cię pojebało

How long does it take for the novelty of simply being able to read anything wear off? I just read a few graded readers and even though it was shit like "Ryo and the old woman go up the stairs" I was still ecstatic the whole time just because I was reading another language on my own.

Maybe, yes.
If you enjoy the culture as a whole, it's a good idea. If you're doing it just for the games, probably not much.

Pro tip - if it will take you so much time to learn any of the "blue" languages, you might be simply retarded.
40 characters a day is the expected pace of learning both Chink and Nip from university student. That means you will know ALL characters within a year.
Grammar in case of Chinese is a fucking joke (because it doesn't exist). Grammar in Japanese is obtuse, but if you bend your mind around the fact it's obtuse, it comes pretty easy.
And Korean grammar is easier than English one, you stupid shit.

Keep beliving in stupid memes. The easiest way to needlessly cripple yourself.

The moment you get the characters down (as in - read them and understand) it's a piece of cake.

You should be feeling it wear off in a few hours

Give it a little while. I haven't had this yet, but there's dreaming in other languages. And then finding a native speaker and seeing their face light up when they see you try to attempt to speak to them on, I would say, a more intimate level by trying to understand them. And then there's always impressing people with how much you know. So beyond the "holy shit, I can actually read this." there's always one step further that's gonna blow just being able to read out the water. The next good part is when you can start hearing key phrases by ear

>Only 20 million more people speak russian than japanese.

>Only 50 more million people speak fucking hindi or whatever language it is in goddamn India than japanese.

This chart is all kinds of fucked.

>Finnish
>Medium tier
>For English user
Yes, I can totally imagine a fucking native English speaker managing Finnish declension in less than a year. Mhm.

Who made this shit?!

>Grammar in case of Chinese is a fucking joke (because it doesn't exist).
I pretty much know nothing about Chinese. Could you elaborate on this? It sounds interesting. How does the language work if this is the case?

Kind of accurate.

Its native speakers and India has many languages.

Hate to break it to you but asking complete strangers if it's worth it or not says it's probably not worth it for you. You and you alone know if it'll be worth the time and effort, and no it's not easy it's a fucking commitment. If you half ass it you will only waste your time and gain nothing.

Those numbers are correct, you stupid idiot.
If you think there is just one language in India, you are going to have a bad time.

>Is it worth learning nip to play untranslated games if you have nothing better to do?
sure why not

Not that user but out of the big 3 East Asian languages Chinese is probably the easiest to learn. I'm not sure what they mean by grammar doesn't exist but at the very least it does follow certain conventions English follows compared to Japanese/Korean. At surface level Chinese also follows a SVO sentence structure for the most part.

Know all of the characters in a year? Surely you don't mean every word that exists in the language

I don't know Chinese so can't comment on that but Japanese grammar is not obtuse, it's extremely simple. It has very few rules and almost no exceptions to memorize.

Let's think. Chinese lacks grammar gender, tenses, declension, declination, mood... it doesn't even have plural and singular forms (things by default are in plural, unless specifically noted that threre is just ONE of something)

It's all about sentence structure. So the moment you know bare bones of the sentence structures (and it's like in German, so each and every time the same structure in given situation happens, making it easy to memorise) and Chinese characters, you know everything you need.

Spoken part is different part of a story, but it HEAVILY depends on your own native tongue. For me it was no big deal, but then again, pic related. If you happen to be English native speaker, it's a guaranteed you are going to be tone-deaf and unable to pronounce properly xi, ci, si and z, c, s, because English is fucked up and you are indoctrinated from your infancy to be fucking deaf on different sounds.

I'm sure he means all the joyo kanji. You'd have to be a madman, or really REALLY into the japanese language to want to know every archaic, overly complicated kanji

No, baka.

I do.
There is a reason why Sinology each year starts with 45 students and by November about 15 remain, with everyone else unable to keep up the pace.
You are expected to be fluent in Chinese and read both traditional and simplified characters after first four semesters. By end of 6th, you are either in a loony bin or so fluent that as long as you don't show your face, someone might take you for a Chinese from specific part of the mainland (or Taiwan)

cotton didn't speak moon

>earn shitty credit in the UK
>life is pretty much fucked
>move to Japan
>credit is reset
>teach english because you can do that with literally any honours degree
>live comfy
yeah boi

Japanese in and of itself is obtuse. They should've gone the Korean way and ditched kanji.

I was talking about Chinese. The pace for... fuck, I don't even know what's the English name for Japanese studies.... either way, they are required to "only" learn 30 characters a day.

For the record - human brain after age of ten is barely able to learn 20 new words a day.

>if it will take you so much time to learn any of the "blue" languages, you might be simply retarded.
>each year starts with 45 students and by November about 15 remain
I think you either didn't get your point across clearly or are calling a billion chinese people retarded for not memorizing their dictionary

Kids learning languages faster than adults is a meme. They don't even know how to study hard. Everyone just thinks children are better language learners because they absorb their first language without too much conscious effort.

user, I've learned fluent German and English as a kid without even trying. I had hard time learning fucking Spanish, out of all languages, when I was in my late 20s.

ANd that goes without mentioning all the fucking extensive study in this field. But hey, it's all memes, right?

you're just retarded

>Polefag
youtube.com/watch?v=t-fcrn1Edik
How much meme is this and how much reality of your names?

>Kids learning languages faster than adults is a meme.

shut up retard

Yeah and how long did it take you as a kid? Adults with good studying habits are much faster at learning literally anything they want.

The point is:
1) Chinese itself is easy
2) The spoken part is not hard, but highly depending on your native language
3) The characters themselves create a fucking brick wall and there is just no fucking way around them, but if you want to learn them, instead of whinning, then it's perfectly doable

Also, I had to learn them at pace of 40 per day and had such high drop-out rate.
Normally, people learn it at pace of 20-25 signs per day, so it's much less of a burden. And since you only need about 6k signs to be fluent, while I had to learn them fucking all due to the subject of my studies, so it makes it much easier for "casual" learning.

tl;dr - the university pace for learning Chinese is insane; the language itself can be mastered within about... 6 months. Another 3 if you happen to speak French or English, as this fuck-ups your pronounciation.

Read his post again. He said that its easier for someone with an language such as Spanish to learn than its for a english speaker, because anglos dont use conjugations.
Most latin derived languages have a fuckload of conjugations

It's both.

I mean the surname itself is a meme, but Grzegorz (Gregory) is perfectly normal name. And while the surname is invented for the sake of the scene, it does follow normal rules for surnames.
Meanwhile, his birthplace is entirely made up just to sound as hard as possible to foreigners, especially German native users.

Back in the uni times, we used to torture each new Chinese lector with daring them to say Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz. Or to say "W Szczebrzeszynie chrząszcz brzmi w trzcinie" (look that one on google).

Fun times

>The moment you get the characters down (as in - read them and understand) it's a piece of cake.
Not if you don't know the grammar

Except languages, you dumb shit.
By age of ten, your capacity to learn new grammar structures drops down.
By 20, it takes intentional effort to memorise new words.
By 30, good fucking luck with learning any language at all without substantial effort, time and energy invested into it.

My point is, kids don't (and most of them can't) put any effort into learning language. And adults who do put in effort are much faster learners than kids. If you're not a better student in your 20s than you were when you were 10, you're doing something very wrong.

At least it's time and energy spent learning something moderately productive rather than playing vidya 24/7

Yeah, but unconsciously as a kid you were practicing german and english about 12 hours a day for several years in a row.
If you spend that much time in another language as an adult, you either going crazy or becoming fluent much faster.

Kids DON'T HAVE TO put effort in it, you stupid fuck.

And your "point" is not only retarded, but simply wrong.

They don't have to put they also learn languages very slowly. If a 10-year old starts learning a foreign language from zero it will take years before he's close to native level at reading it. For a dedicated adult this takes about 18 months.

Best thing i did for myself besides learning english by playing MMORPGs. Just learn user, understand mastery will take a long time, but so do most languages.

>Is it worth learning X language, if you are going to use it regularly in a hobby or work?

Yes.

Belgian fag here, we start learning French at about 8-9 and English at about 12. Both go on forced in school until about 17-18 years old.
I learned more nip in 1 year than french in those 10 years of forced school shit with actual tests I had to study for. I had to put a shit ton of effort into french cause I sucked at it, it's a retarded language for retarded people. Yet here I am, doing 10 mins shitty anki reps every day along with a casual bimonthly grammar lesson read and I can already read yotsubato better than any fucking french text I was forced to read when I was 10 years into forced language learning.
Motivation is key, if you don't like a language you will suck at learning it no matter how old you are. If you like a language you will be good at learning it no matter how old you are.
Sure, skill takes off after years, it's scientifically proven, but it's far from as drastic as you're making it out to be.

If you have nothing better to do then it is literally the best thing that you could do.

Where do you read Yotsubato? I hardly find any clear scans.

Different user, but the djt thread on /jp/ has scans I think. I read a lot at work, so I buy hard copies, personally. You can get like a dozen volumes of used, raw manga on Mandy for like 60 bucks.

In the terms of landing jobs and for money, would learning Chinese be a good thing?

How about Arabic?

Download them, you're gonna have to search for the title in case you're as retarded as me.
There's probably good scans on goddess too (look in the raws section).

petty reason, but if you find the motivation despite it learning another language is never a true waste of time so long as you're actively utilizing it

I always hear about yotsubato being used tk read moonrunes. Is there any specific reason?

...the title in kana* in case...

If you're canadian and about to get owned in the future by chinks then what do you think?

desu arabic sounds too ugly for any self-respecting person to learn

If you are in commerce business, yes, chinese is good. However, dealing with chinks is a fucking nightmare.

Autists having autism loyalty because the character used to be he Sup Forums mascot.

>kids don't have to put effort in
>they take language coursework every day in school for a decade, are forced to speak in their native language to communicate with their friends and family daily, and regularly write in their native language to communicate otherwise

Not to mention you are forced to communicate with sandniggers everyday, I'd sooner kill myself.

Yeah Chinese is easy as fuck and valued.

easy, fun and has furigana

If you're applying for a job with ties to Japan (e.g. their parent company is located there, or a large part of their clients live there), knowing Japanese will give you an edge over other applicants. If anything, having some degree of Japanese skill on your CV shows your interest and willingness to learn something different. Companies love that shit. If you're at least somewhat fluent, you can even consider getting a job in Japan, assuming you have at least a master's degree in something useful. You don't want to become an English teacher.

Dealing with chinks is the worst fucking thing in the world. My dad works in business and they're literal thieves and pieces of shit.

Arabs are great business people though, learning arabic can make you big bucks.

Learning chinese would be pointless because those bastards don't know actual business

Is it true that they'll do retarded 80/20 deals?

Sometimes I feel America hates the Chinese yet learns their language. Guess they've resigned themselves to their fate of takeover.

>actually wanting to wageslave in japan, the land of terrible work practices
I even consider learning jap for games and some animu, but i would never go there to work. There is a reason why suicide rate is so high there. Asians dont value themselves and their workforce.

Assuming you can keep up with japs right? unless they know you're not like one of them.

do you really do this? I've always wondered how likely it is for someone (from burgerland) to be able to get hired to teach English there.