Is Souls a genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Lx7BWayWu08
youtube.com/watch?v=f3d1nvKeTnU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It is a meme of the games journalism industry

lol "souls-like" is so fucking stupid.

No.

Why do they keep peddling Souls-like games? Bloodborne didn't see very good.

So is it a FPS or a TPS?

>souls inspired shooter
>looks like your generic western tps

How the fuck can an FPS even be like dark souls? That doesn't even make sense. Is it just an action shooter like Vanquish?

>Souls inspired
>inspired

One more time for you moron,

>INSPIRED

Dark souls is probably the best series of the last decade, of course devs will be inspired by it don't be stupid.

I guess it the souls-like is more about the world and not the gameplay. Don't see how they could do the typical combat with an FPS or just bloodborne guns only edition.

S O U L S L I K E

what the hell does a "souls-like shooter" even mean? so an RPG shooter like borderlands with level ups and gun stats and shit, but with grimdark "hard" bosses?

>My game is inspired by the souls-like genre. My colleagues and I are all avid fans of the genre

Mean to reply to

>soul-like FPS
STALKER ?

I'm thinking Too Human, Commando run. Even then its not really souls-like, but souls-like is just a buzz word meant to invoke the visage of a challenging game set in gritty, hostile world.

k marketeer kun, what did Souls ground break that worth "inspiring" from it?

How did normalfags discover or find out about Souls/FromSoft games?

Probably from their autistic roommate in college.

The "-like" meme is going way too far.
t. /rlg/

>Also, we chose to make it a shooter, with guns.

Holy fucking shit stop the presses I can't believe what I'm reading

Loong currency and runninh back to get it when you die.
Large interconnected levels.
Weaving attacks and dodging while taking heavy damage if you get hit.
Lore and story that's not in your face.

Etc.

Right. I just read the headline the first time, we'll that is pretty fucking lame.

But in terms of how Souls presented it's world and lore was very groundbreaking, it also popularized that sort of action adventure gameplay. From had done something similar before called evergrace and then there was shadow of the colossus but dark souls was a new tier and broke through to a huge audience and was wildly successful.

No. It is Action RPG.

Losing and running* fucking hell

Obfuscated build mechanics, vague half-baked lore, visceral combat with advancing frame timings, fantastic dodge mechanics, difficulty, world design, shit mobs that can stunlock and end you, grimdark fantasy world with "realistic" aspects (armor, movement, weapons), fantastic graphics, great design.

Demon's Souls was a real breakthrough, regardless of your opinion. It was difficult, it was dirty, it was frustrating but at the same time it was incredibly charming and playable. The mechanics were super intuitive and the gameplay was novel, things were smooth and yet rough.

>Yep, guns! Take aim and shoot down your foes, as they try to do the same in thrilling close- to medium range encounters. It’s far from a reflex shooter, though. Mobility, attack direction and well timed dodges are crucial for your survival and victory. Expect to get shot down a lot; just like its sources of inspiration, this isn’t an easy game. The satisfaction once you evade an enemy attack to fire a burst of hot lead (or plasma, or acid, etc.) into its backside cortex and watch it die in a fire will make it worth it.

>You are protected by the Monolith; an ancient structure that oversees the flow of the Cosmos. And trust me, this comes very handy at times. It’s mysterious powers will be able to restore you when you die, but (of course) leaving your collected bounty where you were defeated. This lets you learn from every mistake, to come back to the encounter you failed with additional knowledge for your next attempt. This cycle of defeat, pattern recognition, and finally victory is what we believe to be one of the core pillars of the genre.

Yes. Souls is single handedly causing a renaissance of video games where cutscenes, exposition, conrete lore, easy gameplay, mindless skinner box mechanics and other dumb bullshit are frowned upon.
A game not including these fits in the Soulslike genre.

>Immortal’s Cosmos consists of many worlds, some of which you will visit in the game. All worlds are connected via a complex network knows as the Stream. Explore the Stream and its wondrous and deadly worlds on your mission and collect their clues, gear, and rewards to become a weapon strong enough to save the Cosmos.

>So why does it have to be you to save the Cosmos? Well… you’re going to have to find out. The main plot will never be forced upon anyone, at least not in a very large extent. We prefer to make it harder to find out about what has and is happening, and not to be in the way for those that want to get into combat as fast as possible. Once you start digging, there’s going be a lot of untold stories about the world hidden below the surface. The story is written by our excellent narrative team, including Anne Toole (The Witcher) and Adrian Vershinin (Killzone: Shadow Fall, Battlefield: 1). I personally enjoy it a lot, and I hope you will too.

So fuckall? Is Runescape now soulslike because you lose your stuff on death?

As someone who enjoyed The Surge this sounds interesting

>Expect to get shot down a lot; just like its sources of inspiration, this isn’t an easy game.
This is what kills most souls-like. Dark Souls isn't about being hard or difficult. It's challenging but fair. Most devs are too incompetent to balance.
The rest is pretty much just describing Dark Souls. Still, benefit of the doubt. Hopefully it turns out to be good and not Lords of the Fallen.
A bit generic title, though.

What is the Dark Souls of genres?

>close and medium range combat
I imagine it's more like gun kata style combat then

No, what kills Souls-games (like and otherwise) is that death is arbitrary. You have to play the game and die over and over again until you figure out how not to die.

And quite frankly that shit got *old* in the mid-80s when we were playing games like Temple of Apshai and Telengard.

>roguelike platformers
Every time.

Is Rick and Morty a genre?

>How the fuck can an FPS even be like dark souls?

It mean's it's hard as balls to the average gamer

Remember doom-clones?

>the dark souls of persona
How will smtbros ever recover?

Yes it's enlightened adult atheist cartoon

who?

Isn't souls just 90's action adventure RPG with fucking tank controls.

it's called VISCERAL COMBAT

>Game: Subtitle
Why do they keep doing this? It never works.

I fail to see how you can be stupid enough not to see why they call some games "souls like".

is this the dark souls of posts?

youtube.com/watch?v=Lx7BWayWu08

Is Dark Souls 2 the Dark Souls of Dark Souls?

>what the hell does a "souls-like shooter" even mean?
Most likely that it will have similar art style and lore.

>tank controls
No, stupid.

Looks like a mix between Too Human/God of War/Furi with souls mechanics.

H Y P E

Slow paced shooter with big ass guns maybe. Imagine Vanquish just slower.

Remember how back in the 90's every FPS that came out after Doom was known as a "Doom clone"? I think that's what's happening with "Souls-like"; if enough games keep getting made in that style, eventually someone will coin a better term for it and it'll become its own genre.

>Generic name: Generic subtitle
I have no idea. I guess they looked at Dark Souls and said, main character is....undead...aka immortal! Done. And he breaks the cycle...bound...chain! Unchained!
Writing for video games is easy.

Why does everyone think Dark Souls made an entire genre? Its nothing new.

You guys remember when people shit on let it die for wanting to "pander to the souls audience" or something like that? It's gone too far.

Or it'll be a metroidvania situation. So soulsborne.

Yes but only because western developers are uncappable to understand why did the "souls" series worked and resonated so well with it's audience,intead they just call anything that is designed to be difficult for the sake of being difficult "souls like".

Ironically Miyazaki himself said difficulty was never the point of the series.

easy access for
>easy access
hotcha

Most games have generic as fuck names though

That's true, but it's a stretch to call a futuristic shooter game a "souls-inspired game"

An FPS is an FPS. Not an ARPG. It can only be more CoD inspired than DaS.

youtube.com/watch?v=f3d1nvKeTnU

Reflexive ARPG

So what resonated with the fans? I need to know for my research.

>everyone
retarded game journalists*

I remember FromSoft from back in the original playstation games. Armored Core m8

jesus, that webm is so fucking hot.

There are people here too

Well, if it's centered around positioning, stamina management and all that stuff that makes Souls gameplay "Souls-y" then I think its apt to call it "Souls inspired", regardless of settings or weapons.

I thought it was third person

meme youtube videos

why do people make CGI trailers to introduce new IPs

Not to mention there's bonfires(monoliths) in the game and you lose currency by dying, which you can retrieve.

>SMTIV The Dark Souls of Persona games
Gets me every fucking time.
The ignorance is astounding.

More exciting

Because the game probably doesn't exist yet.

They are probably in the Asset development phase

You know they do this on purpose so faggots like you can make shitty threads bitching about it, and they get more attention.

I thought Dark Souls was the Dark Souls of fantasy RPGs.

Then don't announce it yet.

>of fantasy RPGs

Why in the fuck do people name games like this?

>Beyond: Two Souls
>Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Just random fucking words that have no meaning all cobbled together as if they're an entry in some long standing series, when they're actually the first game in the series released.

None of these are signature of Souls games. Especially:
>Weaving attacks and dodging while taking heavy damage if you get hit.
Every action games does this.
>Lore and story that's not in your face.
Because Souls games barely even have a story. There's an opening cinematic to set the world and then the majority of everything else is useless fluff.

ok user when i make a game i promise you i won't spent 1 million bucks in a CGI trailer

Is it dark souls of webms?

Why not? As you can see, it clearly creates discussion.

No, the Dark Souls mention is what brought discussion.

They have to because every name you could come up with is pretty much copyright protected so instead of making "Snow Curse" and getting sued to hell & back they go with "Snow Curse: Ur a Faget".

>Souls games barely have a story
I think The Surge this much better. You find audio logs and information which slowly unravels what the hell is going on.

It just reminds me of pic related whenever I see a "Souls inspired" game

girls just can't hang

Its not a fucking Persona game

No its an atmosphere. All souls games are Metroidvanias at heart they just take a diffrent tone from their brethren.

That isn't true at all. Very seldomly will there be backtracking, and only occasionally will an item do ANYTHING in earlier areas. Everything in every area is available most of the time

"Souls" mostly refers to stamina management, character positioning, timing, character progression, etc. So yeah you could make an argument that it's its own genre, or at least it's becoming one.

>All souls games are Metroidvanias at heart

And all Metroidvanias are Undervanias at heart. Metroidvania even stole the "vania" part from Megalovania (the song during the Sans fight).

It can be if 'metroidvania' is a genre.

There is so much thing wrong in this picture