Manual transmission cars are faster than automatic transmission cars

>Manual transmission cars are faster than automatic transmission cars
Why do racing games do this dumb shit? No one enjoys this convoluted control scheme, it's LITERALLY artificial difficulty.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hHfoLnCN2no
youtube.com/watch?v=sYJ5LDoWRT4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You know how this thread will "derail"

It's LITERALLY correct
Also kill urself op

don't really care fo the tears but i'm glad to see a 6gear manual without reverse next to first gear

that only was the case because in real life it was a thing, until technology made ECU's better to the point that Ferrari and Jaguar no longer offer manual transmissions.

In some modern racing games, some auto cars are actually faster now, especially le mans prototype cars.

>t. american driver

>2 and 3 not next to each other

Sup Forums, you are the most obsessed with black dicks of anyone I've ever met

.cont,

nowadays many cars have continuously variable transmissions and automated manual transmissions that essentially tries to have computer controlled manual transmissions.

the vast majority of consumer cars nowadays use CVT as the default gearbox for fuel economy.

It's funny because on the challenger hellcat the automatic is faster than the manual.

But it's correct. Race me in your mom's pontiac vibe, I'll match your speed just to be fair but you'll see how long it takes for your car to shift especially when revving it out at all. Also
>not playing with a wheel that has all 3 pedals and stick
Just kys and go play hot wheels on the n64 kiddo.

what is driving an automatic car like? i've only driven manual, even the lamborgini I drove was manual but with sticks like you would use to puts your lights on, wipers etc instead of a gearstick

>No one enjoys this convoluted control scheme, it's LITERALLY artificial difficulty.
t. retarded automatic American

Most games that do this are arcade racers, whose "manual" control is actually semi-auto.

And for racing, semi-auto IS the best. By that I mean paddles to shift up and down at will. But not for top speed reasons of course.

Is it going to be just a slightly improved DLC project cars 1 or an actually good game that will compete with assetto corsa, i'm torn and can't decide.

Literally like playing a video game. You gas and you brake.

Also a lot more comfortable in slower traffic when you don't have to adjust the clutch constantly

>pontiac vibe

Race my BMW with an automatic transmission and then we'll see. :^)

>The Dark Souls of gears.

I find it super comfy upshifting a little early so I can get stability back into the car

>my BMW

youtube.com/watch?v=hHfoLnCN2no

Ok. I already took my friend with a 410whp 335xi on the drag strip but if you want to be another bmw to fall to the speed3 I'm ok with that :)

>No black ice
You tried

I'm curious what these sticks are, do you mean paddles?

It's not black ice homie, it's newcarsmell.

Manuel is still much much more fun

What the hell has this? 18 wheelers?

yeah I meant paddles, just forgot the word sorry lad

automatics are faster and have been for awhile now.

He's making a bad joke.

>not driving an automatic station wagon like the good dad you're supposed to be

Extra control of the car, being able to stay in your power band better. Even if automatics shift "faster" they don't always shift "smarter".
>muh paddles muh dsg and pdk boxes
Basically what manual gearboxes in racing vidyas are most the time
>NUH UH SOME HAVE CLUTCH BUTTONS
And those games usually benefit from letting you "kick" or "pop" the clutch for various scenarios.

DCT are. Irl very few cars have dct, especially in your price range. So that blanket statement is incorrect. Also manual is much more fun, if you're going to simulate driving on a track, why not do it the proper way?

I'm pretty sure it's from a tractor

So what. Fun is what losers cling to as an excuse for their failure.

So what? So what is that it's much enjoyable for the average Joe. You aren't a Le mans driver. So you shouldn't give a damn.

>be truck driver
>manual feels intuitive and fun to drive
>drive car
>feels like wonky flimsy garbage
Why is this?

DCT are faster but also heavier, more complicated, less reliable, and generally more expensive. They offer great control and phenomenal shifting speeds (so long as you're shifting UP) but they're a hilarious example of how compromised something can be trying to beat a single feature from a well rounded option.

Agreed with manual being more fun and the way to go. 99.9% of people who buy an automatic aren't competing in time sensitive competitions. Same with most manual gearbox owners, but at least with a 3rd pedal even everyday driving is a little more spirited

>driving in traffic
>driving in the city
>manual is more fun

No it isn't, and that's exactly what the average joe is doing.

Less weight

Tell us more about your success user.

>>Manual transmission cars are faster than automatic transmission cars

Name one game that does this where it isn't about old-ass autos having much lossier transmissions just like in real life.

Although I'm still learning, truck wheels are built for comfort and smooth circles rather than the weight of a normal car in your hands.

Imagine autofags having their way and directing a new Fast and Furious movie. Instead of cool action shots of people dropping clutches, grabbing and slamming gear selectors, you'd just get people matting their right foot down and... that'd be it. Maybe a glamour shot of someone pulling a flappy paddle

America was a mistake.

Post your carfu
>tfw no bubblegum blue 106

Daytona USA

>have an old car
>manual feels intuitive and fun to drive
>drive modern car
>feels like wonky flimsy garbage

It's probably because you're used to something that doesn't go out of its way to insulate you from the fact that you're operating a machine.

>French cars
French cars a shit

Cool vibrations

That's not an auto. Only full autos that were faster around a circuit were F1 while they were allowed and those had preset optimized downshifts for each corner.

In a drag race where you're only upshifting yes, they're a fucking pain in the ass on downshifts. Even the electronic autos with paddles (not DCTs or autoblip manuals) are too unresponsive. That's why even the pigfattest motorcycles don't have conventional automatic transmissions because they need power to balance and the throttle response delay would make you fall over.

Forza 4 is really fucking retarded about it to where you have to press the clutch button at the same time as the shift button on every shift in every car including the paddle shift race cars for like a free half second per lap. There's no finesse or coordination about it because the button clutch is assisted anyways you just have to press two buttons at once because lolmanual

Imagine being so fucking dumb that you actually watch Fast and Furious movies.

[driving line intensifies]
Did you see how I hit that apex just on time?

Great bait.
Americans are soft skinned pussies. You fucks dont even oposse a stupid President. How the fuck cant you use stick?

The new 10 speed auto in the Camaro ZL1 gave a better lap time than the 6 speed manual.

Modern Autos are MUCH better than ones from 10-20 years ago.

Shit, the ZF 8-speed auto in my Ram Pickup is MUCH better than the auto that was in a corvette I used to own.

You may say this, but a driver who knows stick and knows it well can still outperform an ECU controlling an automatic transmission. Moreover, the engineering required to develop the software and the hardware that makes an automatic transmission makes it miles more complex, and suffer from problems inherent in having so many more variables at play. Software and computers can and will fail, and the mechanical side has a lot more that can go wrong than a manual gearbox. Not to mention the larger size and thus heavier weight of the entire transmission.

And your fantabulous auto trans that Ferrari and Jag use? The mere fact that high-end manufacturers use them should tell you that they are prohobitively expensive for the common driver. What's more, the kinds of people in the market for high end cars want comfort and luxury above all else. A fast car isn't going to be sold if it doesn't ride like a cloud and shift like butter - and just take a look at the cost of maintaining and, worst case, replacing one of those transmissions.

one day

How do clutches even work as a button? Having them on the analogue shoulder buttons makes sense so you can simulate the biting point. You can#t do that with the press of a button.

>bringing politics into a non-political discussion

If you are that desperate for your sheckels, go shill in Sup Forums

had used manual before matic . Manual is objectively better than matic , the only downside of manual is you having to change a gear , it makes you less lazy.

>Software and computers can and will fail

On a car, the computer/software is the LAST thing that will fail.

Clutch and synchros will wear out far before the typical control module will stop working.

>t. Bogan

>mfw americans can't drive real cars
lmao'ing hard

>objectively better

I'm not sure you know what the word "Objective" means...

youtube.com/watch?v=sYJ5LDoWRT4

That already happened, it was basically an audi ad, where they have Fast and furious shifter angles with an auto.

I really want a wheel with a formula 1 style clutch lever across the back of it.

>trusting car companies to write software

Most video games it works for the sake of engaged versus not engaged. Clutch kicking in DiRT Rally is perfectly fine with a controller and using LB/L1 to pop the clutch through a corner. It doesn't have to be *that* true to real life. Same reason a steering wheel with 2-3 rotations lock to lock can be emulated by a joystick that barely travels an inch left to right

What is that a Mazda 3? Nice meme car kys.

Same as handbrakes

It is not subjective when manual is actually better than automatic.

The only reason America has mainly automatic cars is because the roads are all straight, do you think it is just a coincidence the rest of the world drive manual cars?

Explain to me examples of car companies doing a poor job with software. The only glaring one that comes to mind is the throttle issues that toyota was having, and even that may have been the accelerator control itself and not the PCM software.

A LOT is at stake with their software, so they tend to do a good job. If there is an issue with their software, they will issue a recall and reprogram your car.

Better be memecar than be nocar, buslet.

>Race my BMW
How much of I handicap do I give you to fix another thing wrong with your 305 before we start?

Dude z31s are cheap as fuck, even the turbo models. Just get one. Z32 on the other hand, overpriced, pigfat, and ugly.

When BMW started using the stupid knob to control everything in the car, even the radio. It was something stupid like 5 button presses to change the channel.

How is it "better"? It may be better in some ways, but its not better in all ways.

And by manual, are you referring to the old clutch actuated transmissions where the driver has to engage and disengage the clutch on their own, or are you talking about DCT type? If you are talking about a car with 3 pedals, modern automatics and DCT will shift faster than a human ever could.

Want to know how I know you're from Europe?

Speed3, another kiddo that clearly doesn't know cars but will pretend so anyway.

That's one car company out of many. And we're not talking about creature comforts, we're talking about control of the actual powertrain.

That's clearly the US East coast.

Probably North East.

not here
there is a single z32 for sale and the guy wants 12k for it
and to import one from lets say germany, it would cost more to import it than I'd pay for the car

>using autotragic

>trusting car companies to write software
ECUs/TCUs are really quite bombproof, they're realtime systems that don't "crash" in the same way your PC does and will generally run until the cows come home, barring physical electronics failures like blown caps or something. Infotainment is a whole another can of beans though, some researchers infamously found out a few years ago that you could literally remotely hack into some then-recent Jeep Cherokees and pull annoying shit like blaring the stereo and horns, cutting the engine power or even disabling the brake assistance servo.

Must feel weird using your right hand to change gear.

>acting like its that different

You remind me of guys who would get all pissy if you called their "SRT4" a Neon. Even though that's exactly what it is.

>ctrl-f dual clutch
>no results

Always throws me off that the Speed3 came in this color.

Must feel weird using your left.

Depends really, I wouldn't trust any company without a motorsport division to write something like that, Audi, BMW or Nissan however.

Is this the /o/ thread?
>tfw failed driver's exam twice

>Manuel is still much much more fun
>Manuel
Fag, i bet you love handling his knob

>will shift faster than a human ever could.
That isn't the point, it isn't about how fast you can change gear. For normal driving the speed you change gear doesn't really matter.

Automatics will change gear no matter what and you may not be in the gear you want to be in.

You have more control in a manual car.

>play, pause and stop on the pedals
neat

not when you drive on the right (correct) side of the road

Yeah, burden of knowledge-

Try searching DCT

>tfw grandad used to own one
>sold it