How big should a map be?

how big should a map be?

2x the size of great britian
t. daggerfall

a good size. especially if their is a second game that comes afterwards.

EQ may be small, but each game is a section of the continent. Personally I think you should add each game like a puzzle to make the full map.

Depends on what content it has. Botw i thought was just a little to big, while Xenoblade X i thought was huge but had alot to offer.

It's not about the size but about the density of shit there is to do.

Burnout Paraturd's map is NOT what retards make it to be.
It's way smaller.

as big as it needs to be.
For example daggerfall map was way too big

Big enough to where there's a balance between meaningful content (like towns, cities and dungeons) and filer space (vast, mostly empty forest, deserts etc.)

Depends on how quick you travel and how you plan for the player to consume content.

Skyrim you move obnoxiously slow and you're supposed to travel to find content. You don't have to travel far but it still kind of sucks

BotW you move reasonably quickly, have many methods of travel and traveling is fun. The fun in the game comes from dicking around on the way to things because movement is fun and combat isn't a big investment of focus

GTA V is pretty much the same story as BotW. You can move incredibly quickly and have many fun movement options plus most of the fun comes from dicking around and causing mayhem on your way from A to B.

Didn't play much of W3, dropped it about 6 hours in because all you do is follow dotted lines on a horse and talk in an area that's dead fucking flat and uninteresting, never mind how disgustingly far away and boring everything is to get to.

There are better examples of non-dick around open worlds like deus ex mankind divided and arkham asylum since their layouts were small but packed with content and memorable and felt brimming with thought, focus, and care but I'm mainly addressing the 4 in pic.

as big as is needed

>It's not about the size but about the density of shit there is to do
Pretty much this. Also, certain style of games seem to have different sizes that suit them. GTAV's city size was fine, but the upper section could have probably stood to get cut in half. GTA Vice City and 3 used its size quite well. BotW was just the right size, except they neglected filling it with shit. Hopefully the Wii U was the limiting factor on that and they won't do it again.

monolith soft found the answer to that question recently

We can't stop until we're literally 1:1 to entire planets. Procedural generation doesn't count. I want real time AR feedback contributing to a truly insane game.
Even if it's just real life + (insert mundane twist here)

Openworld was a mistake

>get doll
>all of a suddenly you can explore everywhere with complete ease
Pretty much the same issue that I had with BotW, except it took longer to reach this problem. I stopped playing the game shortly after getting my doll. Hell, I went over the entire map at that point, and revisiting a spot you've already seen 1000 times isn't fun.

Skyrim can't be smaller than GTAV, it seriously doesn't seem like it

>If vehicles
Just Cause 2
>If not
Skyrim

Try crossing GTAV on foot before making that assumption. A car goes a long way.

Isn't vehicles the slower way to travel, besides planes?

Question was about the map size, not the transportation/movement speed

I was just implying that it is hard to judge the size of the map based on vehicles when your main, and faster, mode of transportation wasn't vehicles.

Panau was such a great map, I wish Medici had the same level of environmental variance

i never understood, have all these land masses always been there? and nobody noticed? or does every 2-3 years, a new continent randomly appears? exclude northrend, It was always there, even in WC3

smaller but more detailed > big with lots of blank space
people talk about daggerfall's size like it's impressive but when you actually play it almost the entire map is empty and designed for fast travel.

I would say the biggest disappointment of Medici was that the big northern island was completely empty besides the southern coastline

the broken isles were also in wc3. pandaria was hidden by chink magic or some shit

broken isles in wc3 were nothing like the isles in legion. wc2 broken isles were even more different with the tomb of sargeras being just a cave.

Does it really count as a true open world if all the areas are separated like in Witcher 3?

>Warcraft lore
Just give up, user

why didnt anyone ever try to go there during vanilla-WOD? Why wasn't on any maps?
and dont say everything was too powerful. the "heroes" had world shaping powers and could kill major demon lords, titans, and the lich king, and all other of the most powerful figures

Oh yeah that was a massive letdown, the top half of the map was literally empty.

If they do another Just Cause game it needs almost identical gameplay to JC3 with an amazing map on the level of JC2.

There's a reason why riding horse in skyrim is barely faster than running.

Size doesn't matter, what there is to actually do in an area is what matters.

Dense>Vast

it was pretty gay over there i heard

Depends on how fast you travel through it.

Broken isles were on earlier maps

They have always been there, but were not important enough for you to go there.

Those were different islands that had a similar shape.

Big enough to contain all the content without feeling unnaturally cramped, but without being so big that there are vast stretches of nothing just for the sake of looking "epic"

How long should a rope be?

Big enough to not feel small.

Small enough to not take fucking forever to get from A to B while having so much space that there's nothing between those points.

It doesn't matter. The amount and quality of content on the map is whats important.

>tomb of sargeras
>not important enough

As big as it needs to be. San Andreas still has the best map of all time, and it's tiny compared to modern games. Vice City is even smaller and arguably just as good.

i dont see pandaria

Because nothing was happening on the broken isles
when there isn't a legion invasion or somebody fucking with the tomb of sargeras, it's just some mostly empty islands with a few grumpy naga on it. There's no reason to be there.

Is there a more fucked with, retconned map than Warcraft's over the years?

One, maybe two small rooms

There are several open world maps

I misspoke.

You, as a player, were not important enough to go there.

say what you will about bethesda's fall from grace, but at least they've never fucked up the world map

muh jungle
eso also retconned a lot of stuff like high elf cities being made out of poetry

is there fast travel? As big as you want. No fast travel? Smaller is better.

I know they've fucked things up that way, I'm just saying they never changed the shape of the world or where things are in relation to each other.

I thought BotW's map was a perfect balance between feeling a large vast world and being a recognizable set of places. It feels just as memorable to me as something smaller and closer together like Ocarina's world, which is rare for an open exploration game.

>fallout 4 was smaller than skyrim

>poetry
How can a city be made out of poetry? What would that even look like

Map size has always been a gimmick. LOTRO has one of the largest mapped worlds of any game/MMO and it's mostly empty space.

I think about games like Oblivion which had (at the time) massive open worlds and not having known about quick travel, would be these long treks on foot that involved running into the same animals, occasionally finding a cave or shrine was a great example of discovery, but when I found out about fast travel I did it to every single location.

Empty space is fucking boring, I'd much rather have a city or hub of sorts that is packed with distractions or diversions than have to walk through wastelands.

It also didn't help that a third of it was under water.

This

It doesn't matter the actual size of the map but the density of the map's relevant features thereof. Just to use an example from your OP let's look at the HD Universe's Los Santos.
Technically it's a pretty big fucking map but think about where most of the action happens. There's very little in terms of missions, collectables, side characters, and other points of gameplay that you can find outside of the city proper. It can even be argued that the vast majority of the counties' surface area is just there to extend the playing area so you can fly planes in long straight lines without needing to turn around sooner.

Depends.
Fallout 4 for example is huge, but places all meaningful towns smack bang in the middle of the map right next to each other so it feels small. Content needs to be spread out

As big as your dick

GTA V should've made the map smaller and made to where most building could be entered, along with bank robberies in single player. Would've been cooler exploring busy buildings and holding up inside a sky scraper or office building fighting off the cops.

>Orange Islands that far away from Kanto
Are you trying to tell me that Ash skipped several areas just to do his Elite Four matches proper?

But then all maps would be short and linear.

Ash is the fucking retard that told Pikachu to use thunderbolt on a ground type and never learns anything from his previous journeys.

He also has NEVER beaten the Pokemon league.

Is it that hard to believe?

Your dick is big and veiny user, stop lying.

No way is Witcher 3's map that big.

Their layouts have always been gay but I'd drink a gallon of milk if I could find another developer that can do traversable landscapes like they can.

no

Fucking loved the geography of XC, always forgot I was on a giant mech.

It's never healthy to lie to yourself.

>holding forward is fun!
kys

ever region on that map is wrong holy shit

>I've never played Pokemon

>I'd drink a gallon of milk
t. ching chong

Exactly as large as it needs to be to fit the main content of the game and not one inch bigger.
And no, 10 square kilometers of empty jungle with copypaste military bases everywhere isn't content fucking just cause 2.

>GTA V is pretty much the same story as BotW. You can move incredibly quickly and have many fun movement options plus most of the fun comes from dicking around and causing mayhem on your way from A to B

>the 10 minute drive to sandy shores is fun
Neck yourself

are you actually trying to tell me that Johto isnt next to Kanto?

I miss the good ol forums days where everyone could just gang bang your profile with negative rep for saying stupid shit

why the fuck would Kalos the pokemon France be connected to Kanto and Johto

Because the Pokemon world isn't Earth? I bet you watch Game Theory and wonder why a blue hegdehog can run so fast when a normal hedgehog can only run 4mph in short bust. You autist

Its not about size, its about memorability. GTA V's Los Stantos did it perfectly.

Then post the correct version

No because I've played the games and each one is obviously based on real world locations. Johto and Kanto have similar cultures and wildlife it makes sense. Plus the little fact that they're the only ones that connect in any game. the whole map is some retarded trying to make sense of a world that doesn't have define geography.

They should have put in another city in GTAV instead of just leaving it as countryside.

You're the retard trying to make sense of it. You even stated every region is in the wrong place as if you know where they're supposed to go.

This is the better map btw

>I miss the good ol forums days where everyone could just gang bang your profile with negative rep for saying stupid shit

Who the fuck misses karma or even having a name? Do you know where the fuck you are?

>I have ADHD!
*kiss*

>Johto and Kanto have similar cultures and wildlife it makes sense.
All the regions have similar wildlife, zubats exist in almost every fucking region. You count the Ranger series and theres entire regions that are essentially Johto, Sinnoh and Kanto

It's not retconned, it's just that warcraft in-universe cartography is really shitty, like medieval maps in our world.

I'm not the guy who said they're wrong, even though I agree with him. I just think that map is fucking retarded from even a basic geographical stand point and my autism flares when I see it posted. the second map you posted doesn't look like it was made by a mong though.

>Who the fuck misses karma or even having a name?
People who don't make stupid ass posts. The lack of embarrassment is desensitizing our youth

exactly this large

>Baiting every poketard with the first map before posting the second one
God's work right there

>That region on right of Hoenn

Surf for days Great Scott!

really? I couldn't forget, the game is constantly reminding you with scenery of the giants

But you went to almost all these places in WC3 excluding pandaria

That map for Witcher 3 is super fucked.

Velen/Novigrad is not that big, and Skellige is nowhere near that small.

No way BotW is smaller than The Witcher 3 and GTAV.