Have you or your parents ever bought video games from here?

Have you or your parents ever bought video games from here?

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.com/news/business-41316205
toysrus.com/buy/action-figures/transformers-masterpiece-10-action-figure-optimus-prime-c2021-118951876
toysrus.com/product?productId=125641176
shop.lego.com/en-US/Airport-Rescue-Vehicle-42068
walmart.com/ip/LEGO-Technic-Airport-Rescue-Vehicle-42068/55126272
independent.co.uk/news/business/news/toys-r-us-could-go-bankrupt-within-weeks-as-it-struggles-to-pay-debts-a7953946.html?amp
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fuck nah shit's overpriced

Is it really?

This. You can find all the shit they have elsewhere for half the price. Surprised it took them this long to file bankruptcy.

No. I grew up near a GameXchange, so I bought almost all of my vidya there.

Yes. For example a lwgo set you find at walmart for say $60 will probably be $100 at toys r us.

When I was a kid we got a lot of Sega Genesis games there.

Even when I'm buying toys I don't buy from Toys R Us.

>Only memories of this place are riding my bike to the one near our house and walking through the isles looking at all the stuff I know I'll never have

Pokemon Sapphire.

I remember being conflicted as to wheather i should get Ruby or Sapphire because I liked Groudon more than Kyorge but blue was my favourite colour and my mum gòt annoyed at me for taking so long to decide lol.

yea actually

got a preorder slip for bomberman 64 since the cover reminded me of power rangers

You guys know Toys R Us is gonna die soon, right?

bbc.com/news/business-41316205

Back then you had to walk through the isles and only look at pictures/prices and bring the slip to vault. Bought all my n64 shit there.

Got my n64 on "president's day" I thought it was fucking "present day" lmao. Then my dad told me it's also my birthday in a few days, oh duh

I got Resident Evil 4 from Toy 'R' Us when it first came out They threw a copy of NFS Underground 2 in there too for some reason.

Wal-Mart was always cheaper and more convenient.

They got me Knightmare in Dreamland when I got a GBA as a kid
And then helped me pay for Sonic Adventure DX when I had a Gamecube later on
And then I got Sonic 06 from there years later because my brothers had a PS3 and I liked Sonic
Other than those I dont think I ever bought shit from there. Gamestop was always the place to go when they still had used Gamecube and Gameboy games. But now I get everything from Amazon/ebay or occasionally on random shopping trips if I got paid recently.

Well yeah. Back when you had to take a ticket off the shelf for the game you wanted then go to the game department to get it. It's where I got Turtles in Time and Final Fight.

My parents never got me anything from there.

Sometimes I shop for vidya there, I have early memories of playing Sega Saturn, Game Gear, Virtual Boy, and Wario vs. Bomberman.

Toys R Us always had the best demo booths back in the day.

In any case I prefer to buy vidya there rather than FUCKING GAMESTOP. Whenever a game or system is "sold out everywhere" Toys R Us typically has more in stock.

Games are pretty much the only shit they sell that's not marked-up, actually. Games are standard MSRP, like every other store. I don't think they'd get away charging more, at least for these particular products.

However, I looked at, for example, the MTG cards, and they charge more than any store I'm aware of. $5.99 for a $4.19 booster pack, $27.99 for the $20 deckbuilder's toolkit, almost $20 for the $15 intro packs, etc. Even places like pharmacies that normally mark this shit up don't, fuck, mom-and-pop comic book shops sell them for MSRP too. I don't get it, I'd actually buy them there sometimes but why the fuck would I when there's another store on the other side of the parking lot that has them for MSRP?

>tfw they are closing soon so there'll be sales

Manchildren will fuck up those stores for amiibo

Yeah. that place has always been overpriced af, but it was like mecca as a little kid

>go to toysrus to buy a gift
>walk next to the multi-media section
>spot a wii-u zombi edition(with the normal controller) marked down for 180 euro
>buy it!
>drive home to my gf and tell her to go buy a copy of Mario Kart
>she prepares us some finger food and bought some special beers
>we open the box...
>nothing is sealed in the plastic
>the manual is all fucked up
>notice that the wiiu has some scratches
>go full OCD and got upset
>gf calms me down and says it doesn't matter as long as it works
>hook it up
>can't get it to work at all, blinking red lights and the machine is making weird noices
>look in the manual
>a used bandaid is in there..
>find other dirt as well as pills in the rest of the box
>drive to toysrus the next day and get it refunded
>they can't give me another wiiu for that price though

I guess in the long run I dodged a bullet... but seriously wtf toysrus

I remember playing the Super Mario Sunshine demo there when I got my first yugioh starter deck

Lego is always overpriced. Especially the classic Star Wars stuff, some sets are worth their weight in gold.

New Star Wars stuff is obviously over-marketed shot though.

I think the last game I bought from there (eh, my parents bought) was Wind Waker. I remember my mom pre-ordered it so I could get the Ocarina of Time port too.

Probably the only good memory I have of pre-ordering something. Thanks mom.

>gf will be leaving to fuck chad after she's done hanging out with her manbaby

>I remember playing the Super Mario Sunshine demo
shit I'm old, for me it was yoshi's island

Walmart is always cheaper then anyone else, nobody can compete with them on price so they try to market shit like convience, customer service, and stock instead. Sooner or later Wal mart will be last man standing before the collapse of the brick and mortar stores.

Only my black GC with zelda collection and double dash

It probably won't be $40 difference, but TRU does mark up pretty much everything in the store, aside from video games. The same Lego set there will be more expensive than at any other retailer that charges MSRP.

>Passing up the special edition band-aid and pill Wii U

I remember my parents picking up a gameboy color with pokemon red/blue for my brother and I. We weren't very rich so that was a special day for us, probably cost a week or twos pay lol. Yellow gameboy masterrace

The problem with ToysR is that it's just toys at least here, and parents really don't want to go in there for that very same reason, why the fuck would they bring their child into such a honeypot?
It's only useful in Christmas or Bdays to the average parent.

Or that's how the brand died here like a decade ago.

They'll battle for territory with LEGO autists

>Walmart is always cheaper then anyone else
Wal-Mart just charges MSRP 99% of the time, you're going to see the same price pretty much anywhere else as long as the other store isn't marking the price up above MSRP.

Toys R Us just sets their prices higher than MSRP most of the time. Wal-Mart isn't cheap, TRU is just more expensive.

>Wal-Mart isn't cheap

How poor do you have to be to think that Wal mart isn't cheap?

Why do you need to cram your cuck fetish everywhere, you're like a footfag. Not everyone is obsessed with getting cucked like you.

No. We were too poor.

get rekt'd, richfags

I remember getting Spyro the Dragon and Jetmoto 2 from there. Got Spyro 2 from a KB Toys.

You know it's true though. her a chad will have a hearty laugh about your wii adventure.

Tails Solo Adventure for Game Gear.
Want to say also got Sonic Lab too.

Back when the NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Gear and Gameboy were the shit, Toys R Us was the go-to spot for my dad to buy me and my brother a game. It was the Gamestop of that era. Back when a Sega Genesis game was like $70 fucking USD.

Hell, this is back when the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles toys were out and popular as shit. Toys R Us was like the mecca for fun and excitement as a child.

I queued for 3 hours to get a tamagotchi when i was 14 if that counts.

Again, they charge the same MSRP for most of their items. Any item that both Wal-Mart and Target carry will be the same price at either store, barring some special or sale. A $100 DirtDevil vacuum cleaner at Wal-Mart is also a $100 DirtDevil vacuum cleaner at Target.

Yes, I remember wanting Ape Escape and this is the only store I ever saw it at and I got it for Christmas.

I think I also got Pokemon Gold at Toys R Us and then Ruby at Target.

Funcoland Booths > TRU

FL had booths for nearly every system from past to current gen of the day. Fuck Gamestop for beating them out.

bought a dreamcast there back in 2000
haven't been there since. last i heard the store was selling toys for marked up prices compared to Amazon and other resellers.

rip

>mom picks me up after school
>takes me to toys r us
>tells me i can get a gameboy color and a game
>immediately get that lime green and pokemon blue
best memory from that place desu, i didn't get too much vidya there. only other big thing was the PS2 but other than that it was funcoland or eb games

Yeah, back when the games were in big display cases and you had to take a big paper price slip to a desk to get your game. I saved up a bunch of cash so I could get Chrono Trigger the day it came out on SNES.

They used to have a pretty good action figure aisle, too.

My mum bought be MGS1 there for PS1. I still have the triple stack CD case. Gud times.

Wait, I just bought Uncharted collection from them last year for like $12 new. That was online though.

It's still sealed.

>It was the Gamestop of that era

>what is Funcoland

I've been in many stores like walgreens, publix, target, and best buy, and walmart had much cheaper prices on the same shit everywhere. $40 ethernet cord at best buy was $25 at walmart, food was half the cost of what publix was selling, even store brand publix items were more expensive then Wal marts, and even medicine was a few bucks cheaper. I'd go online for certain items and yeah they'd be cheaper then walmart but I would have to wait then a few days then.

I have a vague memory of getting Pokemon Yellow at a Toys R Us on a road trip. Probably the only thing I ever got there though, they seemed rare when I was young.

>You can find all the shit they have elsewhere for half the price
They have a decent amount of exclusive products, actually. For example, I'm not getting this anywhere else for half the price, because TRU are the only ones who carry it.
>toysrus.com/buy/action-figures/transformers-masterpiece-10-action-figure-optimus-prime-c2021-118951876

Only reason to buy shit there is when they're the only ones who have it.

>last i heard the store was selling toys for marked up prices

So it is the Best Buy of toy merchandise then?

were blue and red worth less or worth more than the listed colors?

Not sure where this overprice stuff is coming from?
toysrus.com/product?productId=125641176
shop.lego.com/en-US/Airport-Rescue-Vehicle-42068
walmart.com/ip/LEGO-Technic-Airport-Rescue-Vehicle-42068/55126272

Ya the Rayman Rabbids game on PS2

Wal-Mart may have cheaper items in their own brands and lines, but, AGAIN, unless the other store is marking their shit up, Wal-Mart charges the same MSRP for an identical item most of the time. That CAT5 cable is more than likely marked-up at Best Buy.

I've never been to or heard of Publix, but looks like they're a grocery store, so there's your answer. They also mark up items that you see cheaper in places like Wal-Mart or Target. Every single grocery store I've ever been to is like this. A $2.50 box of Mac and cheese at Wal-Mart is anywhere from $3-4 at Acme, Shoprite, etc. In fact two of my local grocery stores have gone out of business in the last year, and they both charged a lot more than the nearby Wal-Mart and Target.

Those games were probably out for a few years during the posting of that sale. Of course they were worth less during that time.

Dad was a single parent of my brother and Me, and always felt bad our mom was a druggie not around in our lives. He took my cousin, my brother, and me to Toys R Us randomly and told us "Pick 2 games each". Ended up with Kirby 64 and Pocket Bomberman. One of my happier surprises as a kid.

colors for pocket game boys, not the pokemen

How does that not make them cheaper then if everyone else marks up? I mean sure sales, clearence, would change that but in general they seem like the only ones not marking up anything and it's no wonder everyone is going out of business

Point being the baseline isn't the marked-up prices you'd see at Bestbuy, while Wal-Mart goes below that. Wal-Mart's price is generally the base line, and other stores choose to charge more than MSRP.

Most of the items you see for less at Wal-Mart are bought in bulk, and that would cover a lot of pre-packaged food. But again, if you're buying something like an appliance, a video game, a toy, etc. etc., the price you see at Wal-Mart will likely just be MSRP, while places like TRU or Best Buy will choose to charge more than that and mark the price up.

I remember that lmao.... it was a clever idea. Prevented much game theft I bet

No but me and my dad went there to buy me a toy a long time ago. We bought a toy cat, and I thought once I turned it on it'd be like a real cat, but it wasn't.

That's the only memory of my dad I have before he died.

Rest in pieces childhood

The last time i went to Toys R us was to buy Beyblades.

This was around 15 years ago

It did there at least, so people just went elsewhere to rob.

I might just be biased though. My mom worked at Blockbuster before they went to utter shit and I don't think a week went by where they didn't get shoplifted. Not even subtle either, they'd just grab the games and walk right out. The shoplifting alarm thing starts going off? They just keep right on walking. Sometimes they'd get clever and hold it up in the air so it didn't set it off for everyone to see.

Mostly the local Mom and Pop stores that were robbing BB though, and sent their employees to steal games so they put it on their own shelves.

Had a manager get arrested for stealing 5 gameboys and a DVD player once. Apparently he forgot security cameras existed.

I have
in 1999
toys r us needs to give up on the video games and just focus on physical toys

they've lost vidya to steam and gamestop but I spent at least a grand last year in their stores on actual physical toys like barbies, rc cars and legos

Which one is you? Left or right?

>went to Toys R' Us a few months ago
>very empty, not many people
>check out the vidya
>PS2 games

>check out the trading cards
>Magic sets from 5 years ago still on the shelf

>theyre overpriced, based walmart!

no, idiot. unlike walmart, toys r us actually price-matches

the reason toys r us cant stay in business is because theres no reason to go to toys r us instead of more utilitarian stores unless its for bicycles or those battery-powered jeep riders.

for the rare exception, where theres a toy too ubscure to have enough stock at walmart or target, etc, the problem becomes amazon.

toys r us fits the bill perfectly for one of those "go inside to see what you want in person so you can order it from amazon" stores. Best Buy has a lot of clientele but dont be surprised if within 5 years they declare bankruptcy too.

>but I spent at least a grand last year in their stores on actual physical toys like barbies

Faggot alert.

independent.co.uk/news/business/news/toys-r-us-could-go-bankrupt-within-weeks-as-it-struggles-to-pay-debts-a7953946.html?amp

I don't think restructuring their merchandising away from video games is going to be in the cards for the ol' t'R'u

Yeah I got Pikmin 2 for Game Cube. The game was sold everywhere and I didn't want to go to Toys r Us because they got higher prices than other places...

Curiosity bring me to Toys r Us where I found Pikmin 2 for only 45€. It was a nice surprise.

> not getting super MARIO world with SNES at Circuit city
Those were the days

The ONLY brick and mortar game store I shop at is electronics boutique

I have 4 kids

really sad to see them go

but I will enjoy the 80%off liquidation sales

>Circuit city

God, the good will people have towards that place would belong to best buy if they had staff that actually gave a fuck. half of them are just niggers who would rather be on their phones and the other half are vapid leeches that are only paying attention until they meet their quota.

Not him but shit man, most of us have kids and actually lives. Why do you think we shit post all day?

Borderlands 1 because I couldn't find it anywhere else around launch.

this, babies r us is my primary "need shit now" store when I can't wait for online shipping

You mean your wife has 4 kids.
>most of us have kids and actually lives.
>kids
>lives
pick one, grandpa
Not to mentione "we" definitely don't have kids around here. You are the deviants, enjoy raising Tyrone's kids, betacucks.

>but I will enjoy the 80%off liquidation sales
Going out of business sales are a scam. The stores jack the prices back up to MSRP or even higher and then discount from there instead of discounting from their usual prices.. So you're not saving much if anything vs buying online.

The only reason why I look back with rose tinted googles is because I met some cool kids who showed me how to get to top secret in SMW. Felt like a boss when I would unlock that level for other kids on fresh reset demo games at toys r us, Best Buy , and CC.

no
if we're counting her I have 5 kids

No i lived in a developing country. Doesnt seem like i missed much though, isnt toys r us just a bigger toy store

Old man use to work there. He was dead inside more than half the time. He'd buy games from work sometimes. Other times he'd get them from his coworkers that were going off to college or start their careers outside of retail. Last game he bought from there is The Bard's Tale on PS2 before he quit and went to Walmart.

PRice matching is a huge meme

>2011

Looks like they late to the party

> being this mad
Whatever keeps you going. I'll be laughing at you when you keep thinking to yourself as you get butt fucked with the force of a thousand suns by some homeless black man that you are topping from the bottom like some alpha. I'm here to play games and wreck shit. And I just ran out of my back log

My dad got me a Sega Genesis from there when I was a kid. I don't think the Best Buy had been built in town by that time.

Nah when I was a kid my parents would get me a game at Sam's Club. Now I have some weird Freudian love for Sam's club. I'm 20 years old and whenever I go to do mundane shopping there I get this weird sense of excitement. It's weird.

>replying to low tier bait

Back in the 90s I remember how they had slips of paper inside a packet in front of each game and how you would take one give it to the cashier and they would go to a magical locked room full of games to retrieve it. Much nostalgia