Yooka-Laylee

From the perspective of someone who did not play 3D colletathons growing up, this game is actually really fucking good.
>colorful, fun art design, which runs well and looks crispy clear at high resolution, and contains a ton of good assets/textures
>probably the best engine a platformer has even been built on, it is downright rare to feel this amount of character control in a 3D platformer
>not a single invisible wall anywhere, and thus ends up feeling like a game that's really encouraging exploration
>it's subjective (and I know a lot of people don't agree) but the characters are fun, well-written for the most part, and charming while managing to be self-referential but never to the cringe-level
>great fitting music that changes based on where you are in a given world and what context you're in
>everything unlocks with collectibles, meaning that you PURCHASE everything and that adds to your motivation to go out an explore the world and look for every valuable you can find

Explain to me why you didn't buy it?

da bait, bait bait, is strong

But I did, and it was fun.

Where's the bait?

Sup Forums was redpilled by Sup Forums, jon tron apologists, and dunkey.

That's not to say Yooka-Laylee is without faults, it's Banjo-Tooie tier at best. It's not shit though.

I want to buy it, I'm just waiting for the Switch port.

What was Sup Forumss problem with a fucking silly platformer?

>Explain to me why you didn't buy it?

But I did.

When Playtonic removed Jontron's voiceclips from the game after his controversy on Youtube.

I'm still not following, what controversy? I didn't even know Jontron did (or wanted to) do voices for the game.

And for fucks sake, why does that matter? No one in the game talks except Shovel Knight who says "okay".

Waiting for sale, but might pick it up if we get a good Steam Winter Sale on it.

There was an exchange of tweets between Playtonic and Jon two years stating he would gladly lend his voice in a heartbeat. They got him on and had him voice a minor character.

Jontron was in a debate video with Destiny and said some pretty racist things. Playtonic removed him to distance themselves from that controversy and it backfired with tons of Jontron fans bashing the game. If you weren't around when it happened I don't blame you for not understanding.

Nobody knew Jon did voices for the game until they fired him. Then suddenly Sup Forums outraged about it because they agree with his opinions (More like Jon went on Sup Forums once and got his opinions from there) and suddenly people decided this game was the next Mighty No. 9 because of this.

>probably the best engine a platformer has even been built on, it is downright rare to feel this amount of character control in a 3D platforme

This.

Seriously you could land on a ledge the size of a pixel in this game.

From the perspective of someone who did play them, I agree. It's not as good as Banjo Kazooie but it is a very fun game.

Felt really unpolished, like it was designed by a bunch of amateurs. The camera is so shit on the minecart part, for example. Compare that to the new Donkey Kongs. They can pretend they're Rare all they want, they're obviously still missing a lot of talent.

>They can pretend they're Rare all they want, they're obviously still missing a lot of budget.

FTFY

>quoting statistics is racist

Oh, that makes sense. I know Jontron has a good cult following, so kicking him off the team might have been a genuinely dumb idea, I agree.

Still, I thought Sup Forums of all boards were all about the "no politics in my games!" kinda' shit? Why would we let something like this upset?

Like you said, it's not perfect, but it was pretty good in it's own way and delivered on most of the things it promised.

Who actually means what is up for debate, but I don't see how bringing on an eceleb people like and then turning him away later is a good idea...

They released a huge patch that completely reworked the camera among other things in June (Though it only came to consoles in august because console updates take longer to work out with the big companies).

I will agree that the minecart sections were a chore to play thanks to some obnoxiously zoomed in camera. I dreaded using the "boost" feature because who the fuck knew where I'd end up.

That being said the camera outside that played ball 99% of the time, and the controls were so ultra-tight that you could essentially .

I don't know, I'm getting the feeling that a lot of people just didn't want to like it.

Yooka-Laylee is average. It's not good, it's not bad. It's just mediocre and forgettable.

Why don't people respect Jon for wanting a peaceful ethnic cleansing of his own Hungarian, Iranian tribe? Everyone has a right to express their non violent opinions.

Utilizing statistics to try and pain a picture about why something occurs without proper context certainly can be. Numbers themselves are completely innocent, but putting meaning to them isn't necessarily so

It's a good idea from a business perspective so they aren't associated with people who the general public think are politically incorrect. If they hadn't let him go pre-emptively, SJWs would probably have found out he was in the game after it came out and complained about it. Not that many SJWs even play videogames, but it only takes one to start a storm.

Why was the boss in the ice level boiler room just a generic block of ice? How could they miss that perfect opportunity to make it an ice golem named "Old King Cold" in reference to Old King Coal from Tooie? Of all the flaws in this game (of which there are many), that one makes me the most mad.

You're being a little negative OP.

The game sold 150k across all consoles, and another 100k on PC.

Considering that the development was mostly paid for by backers this was a quite successful indie game.

Does that include backers or is that all additional sales after release?

This. It's definitely worth a playthrough once, but after that you're just done with it. It's really forgetable because it's so plain and generic and they try to ram a slight cliffhanger down your throat even though you know that's it for them. Hell, some levels feel like mostly empty space.

I agree to your point, but I fail to see why it is video game developers are so eager to pander to those people, you know?

I know we're getting a little off-topic, but who would you rather try to market your game to?
>the "politically correct" crowd you might bash your game because you ended up calling a character a snowMAN
>a guy that almost exclusively makes video game content, and who's been confirmed really thirsty for a new 3D collectathon and who speaks to hundreds of thousands of gamers

I don't know how devs keep picking the wrong crowd here.

Is this picture seriously trying to argue that the enemies and the combat are the focus of these games?

Jesus fuck people are retarded.

I didn't buy it cause it's not worth $40.
I'd happily pay $20.

Because they don't really understand the situation. They see a vocal minority shouting about how JonTron is racist and they want to avoid that.

I sincerely doubt they ever even thought about it the way that you did, and it was probably a decision made by the Publisher and not the devs themselves.

Give me a reason why a company should cater to the alt right ethonationalist crowd? This isn't just Jon saying 'nigger' one time, he completely reiterated Richard Spencer's arguments and explicitly said it doesn't matter if everyone instantly assimilated, their genes would still mix with whites and that would be a problem.

I don't know, but from what I heard most of the backers collected their copies on GOG. And we don't really know the exact numbers from that place. My PC assessment is just guessing based on Steamspy.

That explains why the level designs are so poor and camera shaky and the retarded chargeable power meter mechanic. The only people from old Rare were a few artists and composers lol.

Remember the "gamers are dead" shitstorm that peaked during GG?

A lot of people bought that shit.

>not a single invisible wall anywhere
That's not true, but I'm glad you liked it, now play DK64. I think that it's underrated, but still not near as good as Rare's golden years. One thing I'll say is that they did an excellent job of preserving the art style and humor of those games, but it feel sort of like a cheap Chinese version of a Rare game at times.

Compared to most games, Yooka-Laylee is amazing. Compared to 3D platformers like Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie, and of course Mario, this game is pretty bad.

It's still sad and says more about our society then it says about our industry (but that too, obviously).

I don't know, I just hate to see something that was at least a good 8/10 go completely under a lot of people's radar because it's suddenly politcial now and no one seems to be smart enough to just not care.

>not a single invisible wall anywhere, and thus ends up feeling like a game that's really encouraging exploration
if by exploration you mean a lot of "am i supposed to be here" and skyrim-style hopping up slopes, all resulting in finding nothing, then sure
the level design is absolutely the weakest part of the game, and your brain is absolutely the weakest part of your body

For me one of things that killed it is that in Banjo Kazooie the collectible (notes) were used as a "go here faggot" marker. they were never "hard" to find but always in rather obvious places and in bunches.
In Yooka they hide TWO FUCKING HUNDRED of these fucking quills in each level and some of them are hidden in the most outrages "go fuck yourself" places. Collecta-thon games are fine, but don't make the actual collecting a pain in the ass.
Otherwise I agree a lot with Jim Sterling, Sure do a retro collectathon platformer but for gods sake use some of the advantages of modern video games since the last 20 years. There is absolutely no reason for the camera and the controls of certain sections to be so difficult.

Not him, but there were very few invisible walls in the game. You could practically climb every mountain given the right path, and there was never anything stopping you except finding a new platform to take that next step on.

I paid like $300 for this and haven't even beaten the first world.
I dunno. It's not like I didn't enjoy it. I just kind of dropped it. Maybe I'll pick it up again.

This is a pretty good way of putting it. Banjo and Tooie set the bar so high that it's very hard for anything in the same genre to compete, but not compared to those (which sounds like it's what OP has done) it's actually pretty damn good.

>the level design is absolutely the weakest part of the game, and your brain is absolutely the weakest part of your body
>says the guy unable to understand that exploration and discovery is literally the entire basis of the genre

Literally you

Someone with Yooka family share this to me. I wanna play but I'm out of money.

There are plenty of torrents if you take 5 seconds to look for it.
Including the patched version after the update.

I kinda' agree with you (except about Sterling, obviously). It was a little unsatisfying collecting those quills one at a time or in a straight god damn line or something.

That being said they needed to be that way to help guide the player. That might point to bad level design, but when you found a few you were always reminded that "you're in a place we want you to be in", and I didn't mind that.

Because I was hesitant in funding the Kickstarter because I thought "lol kickstarter". I'm not paying $40 for a game I could have gotten for $10 during the Kickstarter.

It's not bad. Especially if you put that much money into it, you almost owe it to yourself to play for at least a few good hours.

I'm a germanfag. Torrent is an instant party bus over here. It's a fucking pain. otherwise I would have done exactly that Day1.

But isn't that the entire point of the kickstarter? To allow people to gamble on whether or not something will pay off, and if it does they've saved money?

That's not the ACTUAL point of kickstarter, obviously, but it's always been how I've treated it.

>That's not the ACTUAL point of kickstarter, obviously, but it's always been how I've treated it.

I've always treated it the exact same way. Get a game cheaper on the risk of it not being great

The worst part of GG is that these journalists weren't shilling a narrative for money. They were just a bunch of hipsters that knew each other and intentionally decided to all make the same article to push their worldview on others and create a fake consensus.

That terrifies me.

If what OP says is true then he's actually in a very unique position. Let's face it, a lot of the people who played this game, did so because they're nostalgic about Banjo and other similar collectathon games.

Think about it, how many people like OP do you think there are? People who came INTO the game, not expecting anything because they didn't play these types of games during the golden days of Rare on the N64.

Of course OP could just be a shill, which would ruin my argument somewhat, but still. The fact that someone who has no reserves about the genre come in and like it, speaks volumes in my book.

I'm still convinced the only reason I,
and a lot of people didn't like it is because our nostalgia goggles are a little too tight. And I freely admit that now.

>That terrifies me.

Not to go full /polx/ here, but good. That should terrify you.

The difference between these """journalists""" and the rest of the world isn't that these guys cooperated to push their world view. No. God no.

This happens all the time in major media, and the views they're trying to push are often way more destructive then our little niche (or, not so niche anymore) sub-culture here.

>The difference between these """journalists""" and the rest of the world isn't that these guys cooperated to push their world view.
So then what is the difference?

the worlds are just too fucking big.
you keep collecting items with not being able to see the end, so it makes it feel like a chore.
i finally got all the notes in the first world the other day and this was months after beating the game.
also 25 jiggies per world is also too much.

Oh, sorry, I thought that was self-explanatory. The difference is that these guys were stupid enough to get CAUGHT doing it.

They posted the exact same opinion with the almost exact same wording, around the exact same time on mass.

This is what separates video game """journalism""" from the rest. They're not clever people.

>from the perspective of someone who has not played the actually good games, this game that is far worse than those games is good.
What was OP thinking when he decided to start a thread this way? Who starts a thread with "I know nothing about this genre, but here's my opinion."

>Yooka-Laylee thread
>Ctrl + F "jon"
>12 matches

Let me guess, this is now a shitty Sup Forums thread

I really really see your point. I remember playing through the first level casually and getting some of those pages and feeling really good about myself. I'd collected like 7 or 8 and for an un-expanded world I thought that was pretty good.

I then went out an expanded the book and collected another 3 or 4 from new areas.

The point was that I was feeling good, I felt like I'd explored a vast majority of the level and helped all the critters I could find.

It was a jaw-dropping moment when I opened the stats screen and read that I'd collected 12/25 pages. I felt I'd done good and explored and achieved a lot, and I wasn't even half-way there...

It was... disheartening.

Unbiased opinions not colored by games of the past don't warrant threads in your eyes?

>I'M BEING TARGETED BY A GIANT CONSPIRACY
Nigga it's not like all these people get together and went "let's publish lies to show them nerds and rake in the dosh"
Most of them just did shitty journalism. They listened to one side of the conflict (the women feeling attacked) ignored the other (the gamers feeling cheated) and then focused on the loudest parts of the outrage while believing some faggots who actively lied (Like Brianna Wu, who lied about being forced out of her house)
Fucking apply Occam's razor and "Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted."
Just because some idiots publish horrible dumb, unresearched articles does not mean each and every one of them is part of some dumb conspiracy. It is much more likely that they're just shitty journos hopping on a fucking bandwagon.

No, I know that. What terrifies me is that they WEREN'T doing it for financial gain. They weren't sleazebags being paid on the corporate dollar. These were just, relatively speaking, normal people, but the end result was still the same.

It's similar to that gay bar massacre. Over fifty people died because one drugged out fuck held the backdoor closed. It was a civilian that made it possible, not criminal intent. Shit like that gets to me.

>Unbiased opinion from someone who hasn't played most of the games.

I still don't get your point. Fresh perspectives is what this industry needs. Not more nostalgia-pandering, and someone willing to judge the game on it's own merits instead of endlessly comparing it to other games is a solid basis for a thread.

>actually serious about getting butthurt over statistics

Holy shit

If the only game you've played if Big Rigs, you're not going to give it a fair review. You might, like Yooka-Laylee, mistakenly think it's good.

I effectively said the reason it terrifies me is because it's not a giant conspiracy but journalists who all know each other and share notes. Reading comprehension.

I did buy it. Got shit after the first level.

Game was completely busted by the time I earned the ability to fly anytime.

Fuck anyone who says this is actually like an old school platformer.

6/10

Not him but if Big Rigs had positive or negative attributes on its own then a person who's never played a game of that style would be the one who's most objective in bringing those out.

Because then Big Rigs is being evaluated based on what it did, not what it didn't do.

>6/10
So it was halfway decent?

Not a waste of time. I'm not going to lie and say it was 1/10. I think 6/10 is fair.

By his logic it should actually be slightly above descent.

The score he's looking for is a 3, or a 4 out of 10. That's slightly bellow decent.

The game is enjoyable, but not that great. The game feels spread thin, lots of content but most of it isn't great, just around good.
I wouldn't be against a sequel, but I wouldn't fund it unless it was immediately apparent the problems were being fixed.

You can't be above descent, that's an action implying downwards force.

I can't spell.

We can tell.

Probably the part where you said
>Explain to me why you didn't buy it?
Like some sort of faggot shill

I don't care about the drama with Jontron, the fact is the game deservedly gets a lot of shit for being an unbelievably mediocre 3D platormer with way too much hype.

Holy fuck were the Swamp and Space level bad.

Game looked nice, that's about all I've got to say about it that would be considered positive.

A lot of people ITT are saying that it's so mediocre. What are these mediocre aspects? The controls are tight, the platforming is varied and (though subjective) the humor is as good as you can expect from a Saturday morning cartoon.

The level design is the only thing I might go as far as to call "mediocre", but even that's usually above average if only barely.

I liked the Space level.

The Swamp was hit or miss but that's mostly because there were so many water-sections. You can really tell the game bought it's A-game to the first level though, and nothing in the rest of the game ever felt quite like it.

I litterally just beat it let me describe my experience.

>Wow this opening level is good can't wait to come back and explore.
>Oh that's it?
>Last level already?
>Why can I just fly now, I'm going to go back and sequence break all the Jiggies I missed.

At that point I stopped playing.

tfw the game is so shitty the dev comes to Sup Forums to shill it to permavirgins

Not him, but just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to beat it casually?

>every-time I say something negative someone responds within seconds.

It has to be shills or crazy people, not sure which.

>Beat.

On final boss now. 10 hours total.

Oh that sounds about right. I cleared in 13 with a little dilly-dallying here and there. Just wanted someone to compare to.

>What are these mediocre aspects?
Abysmal level design where everything is spread too thin, the shittiest boss fights in the genre (even worse than Banjo-Kazooie's pseduo boss fights), completely forgettable OST, content is bloated with shitty mini-games rather than meaningful exploration or platforming, bad camera etc. Really what it boils down to is that they took Banjo-Kazooie and then made it unfun as possible.

I thought it was goodish. About a 7 or maybe an 8 on it's best day. It did have a few things clearly wrong with it though. The snow level was the worst one by far.

I'm an avid Trump supporter and as right as they come... but cmon. It's obviously a PR thing just to make sure it didn't seem like they had MUH WAYYYCIST as a part of their game.

I can't stand niggers. But if I was making a game, I'd want to drain every ape's wallet I could.

Is that really the crowd that buys games though?

Why are so many fagg sucking a mediocre game's dick.Just because you spent money on it doesn't mean you have to defend it.

>If you have more money then that means you more skill

blind nostalgia