What are some games that have a bad ending?

What are some games that have a bad ending?

And by bad, I don't mean shitty, poorly done or frustrating.

Just games that end sadly or bitterly for the protagonist or the game world or anything.

Can't really think of any just like that, but I like when it happens in movies and books.

The Witcher 3 bad ending was depressing as fuck.

I did not get it because you'd have to be an aspie to make all the choices that lead to it, but I watched it on YouTube and it hits pretty hard.

Unreal 2 has a pretty dark ending. The game is universally hated because it's much slower paced than original Unreal and is really a very different game, but I played it before OG Unreal so I enjoyed it a lot.

i think i got the bad ending without trying, it's the one where ciri gets lost in the white frost and geralt sits in the witches hut right?

SOMA

Also Max Payne 2 ending is... interesting. Unless you get the non-canon one that requires you to beat the game on the hardest difficulty, that is.

Nier was absolutely fucking miserable, especially after you realise what you've done

yeah that's the one.

every single one of my forts in dwarf fortress

Witch's house.
Corpse party.

>ciri dies at the end of the game
>her witcher medallion got stolen by remaining crone when she fought them
>geralt goes back in the swamp to get it back
>coldly kill the crone
>enter their hut
>he starts breaking shit up and finds the medallion
>he just breaks down, head in his hands
>that feeling of loss
>camera stats panning out of the hut
>as it recedes, you can see a whole bunch of ghouls and drowners creeping in from every opening of the hut in which geralt sits
>cut
it's pretty clear he doesn't let himself be killed by lowly monsters, still they don't show him coming out because it cuts before there's a fight or anything.
i found it pretty cool.

Shit hits me like a bag of bricks

Pyramid Head's Great Knife impaled me right in the feels.

Ending B>Other endings
The credit scene was just too cute

Outlast was quite grim, most horror games are for that matter.

red dead redemption

Persona 2 Innocent Sin.

I have no mouth but I have to scream.

Dead Space 3's DLC (which is the actual ending of the game)

Terranigma

It's "I have no mouth but I like ice cream".

Jedi Academy if you go Dark Side

P2 was unfair, they didn't deserve that.

Persona 3 has a pretty melancholic ending

The Longest Journey and Dreamfall had sad endings.

why aren't there more bad/sad endings in video games?
is it because writers are such hacks that they can't pull it off?

To the Moon had a pretty sad ending depending on how you saw it.

SOMA's ending is really great because it's so multi-faceted. You have the Simon which was left behind a century prior, the Simon left at Omicron, and the Simon left at the final launch--but the final Simon you play as gets a happy ending through the combined efforts of three other characters. Love the story, wish Nier: Automata did something similar.

well in most games you have to put in some effort to get to the ending, getting a bad one makes a lot of people feel cheated

At least Phil apologized.

In Red Earth, Capcom fighting game the good AND bad ending of the ninja ends in him common hari-kari

fucking normies

RDR

Best ending of any game I've played.
I even showed it to my parents, who are no gamers as no gamers get, and even they thought it was amazing.

Mafia, though it wouldn't have been without the flash-forward. Mafia 2 also.

Mafia doesn't really have a sad ending. Tommy dies, but he lived a fulfilling life.

Kotor 1&2 but they are old as fuck

Basically this
Shit's fucked for basically every version of Simon

Not for the Ark Simon

>The Darkness 2 ending
i'm still fucking mad

>good ending means to stop running and accepting your punishment - literal hell

I should have known when I saw that damn pillar of skulls the first time and learned what it is

what game are you talking about?

>be in a fragile thing floating in space that you can't fix if something goes wrong and is likely to get annihilated by space debris with no warning
It's shit, mate, fate worse than death

Fallout 3
You are either a coward or a a cliché hero that sacrificed himself
When in reality many better options exist that the devs closed for you ( if you ask fawkes to enter because he can endure radiation he says No kek)
The ending is manages to be sad (shit by design) and sad(by being shit to the protagonist)

Planetscape Tournament