People actually think 64's level design is better than Sunshine's

>people actually think 64's level design is better than Sunshine's

it is, Bianco Hills isnt the worst designed level in the game, but even here you can see its just a flat area with the raised windmill isle

The gamecube hard a weird propensity for games that had you doing chores. I mean hell, the mario party games had you washing windows and sweeping up floors. It was fucking bizarre.

kind of like bob omb battlefield, huh? Except it's larger and has more overall platforming going on

I was thinking about this the other day.

It's strange that both Wind Waker and Metroid Prime made you go on a fetch quest right at the end of the game to pad out the length.

A lot of that was due to 3D games being so new at the time

Rainbow Ride was just a bunch of random crap floating in the sky

I'm not even sure what Wet Dry World is supposed to be. A Dock, maybe?

BOB OMB BATTLEFIELD HAS SEVERAL LAYERS, its not flat.

>people actually think Sunshine's levels aren't the absolute worst in any Mario platforming title

Trying to make the levels feel like real places neutered this game.

>Trying to make the levels feel like real places

What do you mean by that?

Have you seen Gelato Beach?

Shit is just a typical beach vacation spot with a Lighthouse in the middle of it.

>flat land first layer
>walk up bridge
>flat land second layer
>walk up bridge
>sloped land that rotates
>reach top
>flat land
literally NO platforming in this entire level unless you consider jumping over the gap at the one part on the path up "platforming"
Sunshine may be just a single flat layer, but at least it's padded out with little bits of platforming

64 felt just right for what they were going for. Sunshine was just too big for its own good. And fuck those blue coins.

Compare Sunshine's aesthetic to any other Mario platformer. Sunshine's levels come the closest to looking like actual possible places. There are rarely any floating structures and most platforms are given some kind of context. Rico Harbor probably moves the furthest away from this, but trying to provide context to the platforms resulted in a huge deficit of moving platforms. Given that Sunshine gives the player a full five fucking seconds to hover this means that Sunshine's levels are pathetically easy to platform around, even for a Mario game.

Hovering is part of the platforming. This is a simple mechanic used in many video games. Banjo-Kazooie, Conker, Ratchet and Clank, Sonic, etc. The ability to hover temporarily is a part of platforming. It enhances what can be done. Whether you choose to use it like that is up to you though. You could even try to go through the game without using it. Some guy on youtube actually beat the entire game without ever using the hover nozzle

this is the final level in mario sunshine, say something nice about it

Looks like it's more fun than that fucking Magic Carpet level from 64

It was the only level in the game where one of the fluddless levels took place in the main area, not a platforming void area

This level was awesome. Hopping around on the mushrooms and grated fences underneath the village was super fun. Plus the level where everything went to shit and there's firey goo everything - good stuff.

It already is a platform on a void

Oh shit Mario 64 is super popular and Sunshine is not as well-remembered, time to prove how much of a hip cool contrarian I am and talk about how Sunshine is the SECRET best game and I'm the only one smart enough to see it

I liked how organic the worlds felt in Sunshine. Sure the platforming was completely neutered in the overworld, but the special stages mostly made up for it. Mostly.

64 is better, but the idea of Sunshine having "bad level design" is stupid

>64 is better than Sunshine

they're both fine for what they are (first level of the game) and the complexity ramps up plenty in later levels. more shit doesn't necessarily mean better

>first level of the game isn't very hard and introduces basic mechanics like simple movement and small jumps
wow who would have thought

>first level of a PLATFORMER has no PLATFORMING
not good, buddy. At least Sunshine opens up with a first level that teaches you about platforming

is Sunshine emulatable at this point without slowdowns to 1fps in certain levels

>deepest lore

This was my favorite level in the game, felt like a cozy village with a lot goin on

Not only that, but games had a theme of going to new places, far off lands, etc, even in the context of their own franchise. Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Wind Waker, Pikmin 1 and 2 (albeit that was the whole point of these games), RE4, all come to mind just off of the top of my head.

Sunshine sucked then, it sucks now. You only like it because you were barely old enough to wipe your own ass when it came out.

At what age does one learn how to wipe their ass?