Don't Starve

Is anyone here actually good at this game?
How the hell do you reliably find food, especially large meats. It's bullshit.
I camp near beefalo but I can maybe take one in a fight but suffer large chunks of health loss. And even if I do manage to kill them all that's not sustainable.
And pig men are just as annoying, even when I find them near spiders.
I can capture rabbits find but the morsels don't do shit even with crock pots and the time I spend catching them almost makes it's not worth it.

Add to that all the other bullshittery with insanity, random trees wolves and shadows attacking me and it's bullshit.
Also the fact you can't transplant grass without fertilizer makes it that much harder to settle near a food source. And then you still lack stone or gold or lumber or twigs.

I've read copious guides but keep getting my shit pushed in.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p3TmXsxLpDI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The struggle reminded me of dwarf fortress its all about the FUN

The new DLC seems interesting. I'm hoping we'll get a pig-themed new character, like how Webber was spider-themed

>Camp near beefalo
>harvest shit piles
>Fertilize farm plots with poop

>Dig up berry bushes
>replant them near base
>fertilize with poop

>feed corrupt meat to pig men
>kill them after they rage
>collect meat

Just play more and learn, or read guides. Don't Starve is a game about learning, it isn't a mechanical skill-based game, it's all about knowledge and strategy. Beefalo are easy as fuck to kite, you can also hunt Koalefants and Tallbirds for meat. The early stages of the game is about traveling all over looking for a good spot to set up, usually near 2 good resources like beefalo, pigs, a rock biome, etc.

Food protips:
make a fucking birdcage (turns cooked monster meat into eggs, makes eggs last forever, makes seeds last forever)
make a fucking crockpot (eggs + monster meat is meatballs, honey + meat is honey ham which is fucking insanely good)
cactus flesh is amazing for sanity or as vegetable in the crockpot
make a fucking pig farm (just set them all in a circle and put a piece of food in the middle surrounded by fence, even when it rots it still works, this makes them all just endlessly walk towards it even when they're werepigs) and then feed one/two of them some meat and attack and quickly cancel it mid-animation on one of them to start a war without risking yourself
do NOT make anything agricultural (berry bushes/farms/maybe honey) during autumn, they all become useless during the winter

other protips:
>insanity
youtube.com/watch?v=p3TmXsxLpDI
free nightmare fuel
>random trees
plant acorns next to them to pacify them, and then you have a free friend, just kite a giant on to him and make them hit eachother and you have a free boss kill
>wolves
just kite them to the swamp or the pigs or the aforementioned treeguard
>can't transplant grass
just make your base somewhere near savanna and rocks, then trnasplant the twigs since those DON'T require fertilizer
>lumber
if you're having trouble with this, just play maxwell (assuming you're playing DST)

I've tried all three. Problem with first one is that farms take so many resources to set up AND the food they produce take a long time to grow and feed you for so little that it's not until you have maybe 10 farms can you start growing food fast enough to feed how quickly your hunger depletes. I wait several days just for a carrot to come out on the farm. And that's ignoring how much charcoal and manure you need to set up the farm in the first place.

Berry bushes again feed you for so little for how long they take to grow.

I've had the best luck with 3, but with how long it takes pig men to respawn, I either run out of pig men (they don't always drop meat) or run out of corrupted meat, run out of ways to get the corrupted meat (grass/twigs) or run out of health from occasionally taking a bad hit from werepigs.

Ok sounds decent. I never camp anywhere near where there's papyrus for a birdcage though.
Also for your meatballs, what do you use for padding? Eggs, monster meat and what else? Not even going to think about honey, by the time I get enough silk to get beekeeper hat and a net I'm usually already starving to death.

For pig farm, what do you mean cancel mid-animation? Is it possible to attack a pig that's following you? I've tried holding down ctrl to force attack a friendly pig but it just lets me interact with it and nothing else.

Also, when cutting down trees and mining stone, I've heard you should hold down space then click rapidly. But when I click sometimes while holding space my dude stuttersteps then stops harvesting, sometimes even when I don't move my mouse. I'm assuming it's deselecting the object somehow. Any way around this?

>camp near papryus
you only need 8, just take a run through a swamp while you're uncovering the map's edges and grab a few, you won't need much more until later
>what do you use for padding?
just eggs
3 eggs + 1 monster meat
you can use ice once winter rolls around for the disgustingly efficient 1 meat 3 ice meatballs, so try to last it out with other foods and don't use much monster meat until winter rolls around and you can just stockpile 80 ice into a freezer forever for tons of food
>cancel mid animation
control F forces attack, and there's a time between the animation beginning (and the swipe sound playing) and the actual hit where you can move to cancel it. If you have a follower, it still counts as HITTING the enemy, which causes them to attack. Basically, recruit 2 or 3 pigs, then do this on a different pig and all your pigs will attack it, and then the village pigs will attack those, and then it turns into a massacre where every pig dies, and since you never finished your attack, they never once became aggressive to you, only the pigs. Just remember to pick up most of the meat/pigskin before it's fully over or they'll eat it.

Just play and you are going to git gud. Have objetives in mind, if you are going to explore, you focus on explore and you don't collect shit. Just try to put an objective each day and stick to it. Also make bird and honey farm. And meatballs in the kitchen, and if you are low on health meat with honey.

Don't play Willow

>Also, when cutting down trees and mining stone, I've heard you should hold down space then click rapidly. But when I click sometimes while holding space my dude stuttersteps then stops harvesting, sometimes even when I don't move my mouse. I'm assuming it's deselecting the object somehow. Any way around this?
Don't think this works in DST, not sure though. Just harvest normally, it's not that awful and it's not like you're wasting much time if you're new unless you somehow already always have something to do in mind.

oh shit, I remember this game. played the shit out of this a while ago. eventually quit out of frustration after surviving for a long ass time only to lose it all once I died

>carrot to come out on the farm
Grow dragonfruits.

>control F forces attack, and there's a time between the animation beginning (and the swipe sound playing) and the actual hit where you can move to cancel it. If you have a follower, it still counts as HITTING the enemy, which causes them to attack. Basically, recruit 2 or 3 pigs, then do this on a different pig and all your pigs will attack it, and then the village pigs will attack those, and then it turns into a massacre where every pig dies, and since you never finished your attack, they never once became aggressive to you, only the pigs. Just remember to pick up most of the meat/pigskin before it's fully over or they'll eat it.
Ok I think I get it.
Does one monster meat and three ice still make meatballs in the crock pot?

Hard to control what gets grown. I keep getting sweet potatoes, carrots and watermelon.

>Does one monster meat and three ice still make meatballs in the crock pot?
Yep. Ice counts as filler and Monster meat counts as 1 full meat, but if you put more than 1 in you have a chance to make monster lasagna which is wasted food on anyone but Webber.

Not hard.
Grow dragon fruit(need some trime). Turn it into seeds(birdcage give you 1-2). Grow more dragon fruits. More seeds. More fruits. Make pie(fruit+twigs) and seeds.

>Hard to control what gets grown
Feed dragonfruit to your bird, it can shit out 1-3 dragonfruit seeds.

How do you obtain the initial dragon fruit?

Luck. Wait until after the first winter to do this, it's so luck-dependant and you won't even get a huge enough stockpile to make it through the first winter in time.

get a bird cage
feed it meat and get eggs
can feed it monster meet to get eggs
can feed it bad cooked eggs to get fresh eggs

also fridges are king
crockpot is great as well. 1 egg 1 meat 1 veggie and 1 fruit for pierogi is an incredibly good food

>Is anyone here actually good at this game?
I'd probably say I am, haven't played in a bit but I'm 300+ (can't remember, it's been awhile) days in base/RoG.

Are you playing base or RoG? Really the game just comes down to figuring out how to convert resources into other resources.
If you give me a couple examples of things I'll try to give advice for them specifically.

Easiest way to do is to make rabbit traps, making a farm takes too long before 1st winter arrives and is much more rng based on beefalo stacks unless you are turbo autistic about it and while drying rabbit meat is much easier while being as efficient altho few farms to mix in ingredients is good.

>pick webber
>find spider nest
>plant your nest next to it
>befriend a spider
>make it attack spiders from the other nest
>infinite food