Two of the worst selling consoles of 6th gen

>two of the worst selling consoles of 6th gen
>one console forced a company to go third party
>the other forced the company to pander towards the casual market
>Sup Forums has the balls to say both of them are good

Both have amazing games, what is your point user?

They both have some good games, but the PS2 did both of what they did so much better, and then some.

Didn't the Dreamcast do okay? It's just Sega never recouped their losses coming off the Saturn going up against the PS2.

It was more of a survival tactic for the future than it was throwing in the towel.

Yeah, there's nothing on PS2 that's as good as Metroid Prime or Soul Calibur in their respective genres.

I had fun with my videogame consoles, therefore I can say they're good in my opinion

About the games? That's VERY questionable. Dreamcast failed because it was already outdated when it came out and Gamecube had little third party support, plus that min dvd bullshit. The market of DVD Movies exploded thanks to the PS2, that is an important part of their sucess.

Yes, the Dreamcast actually sold well, the problem was that they had just fucked up on their last 3 consoles or so, so the Dreamcast wasn't enough to get them in the clear

There's nothing on Gamecube or Dreamcast that's as good as Devil May Cry or GTA3 in their respective genres.

>One forced a company to go third part
The Dreamcast didn't kill SEGA, everything else did. The fucking add-ons like the 32X and SEGA CD and the fact that they only really had one game.
Also, what the hell are you talking about with the GC? Were you even around in 2002? The GC was heavily marketed as a hardcore console. Probably the one time Nintendo did that. Every other console had been more casual oriented.

i thought pic related were two gigantic consoles

Kirby air ride is more fun than any racing game on the ps2. They did have the best jrpgs though

Eh, accurate.

But Burnout 3 vs. F-Zero GX? What would you give it to then?

this, both were better than the PS2 and Xbox.

>Dreamcast failed because it was already outdated when it came out
Are you stupid? The DC was way ahead of the curve when it launched in 1999. For fuck's sake, it had amazing graphics, arcade perfect ports of popular games and online play.

They were both too good for this world.

No, I don't think they're better than the PS2, as much as I hate to admit it.

The PS2 is the epitome of a game system. There is literally something for everyone on that system (and if you can't find it, you just hate gaming).

>People saying the GameCube was a failure
Wasn't it the only profitable console of the big three that dominated the market? The PS2 obviously destroyed everything else when it came to sales, but is that the only thing a console needs to be deemed successful?
I'm not trying to start shit and console war stuff, but I do recall some charts floating around about profits.

That momentum or advanced graphics/online play and shit last what, one or two years? I fucking love that console but the "le dvd player" of the PS2 just fucking killed it, plus other factors that we all know. Dreamcast and GC are my favorite consoles of that gen, but PS2 just fucking killed them sadly.

PS2 is my 4th console of that gen, i like more the OF Xbox to be honest.

the memecast and the nogamescube are the ultimate contrarian consoles. Wii U is next in line. I loved these systems but they have shit libraries and flopped for good reason. Dreamcast literally only has like 1 game worth playing. Everything else is either outdated or got ported to PS2. Gamecube had what was considered the worst Mario ever at the time and what was considered a disappointing cel-shaded Zelda after Majoras Mask. Both consoles have poor third party support and gimped controllers. These consoles are fucking shit actually

I would never say the Gamecube is a good system though. Dreamcast? Yeah, it was great. Lots of great games. Gamecube was Nintendo during a period where they really didn't know what they were doing or how to move forward. Even most of their first party stuff during that time is pretty unremarkable aside from Melee and maybe Twilight Princess.

The GBA was the true Nintendo system during that time period.

The PS2 was a terrible console and 90% of its library was shovelware.

>There is literally something for everyone on that system

Name good WPRG, racing, shooting games for the PS2 that are on par with the best games from said genres at the time.

>let's have all our games run on mini-DVD, with half the storage space
>that is a great idea, what could possibly go wrong?
>also let's make component nigh-unavailable

Yeah, the DC only stayed ahead for like a year, before the other consoles came in and blew it out of the water, it terms of hardware.

>WPRG, racing, shooting games
wow what are you, some kind of westcuck? xD
real patricians only play based japanese games like demon loli pantsu quest 7: my sister can't be a rape victim?!?

>90% of its library was shovelware
It had way more games in general, so of course there's going to be more shitty ones. Even if what you said was true, the 10% amazing games is still far, far more than any of the competition, so it's not really an argument against the system itself.

At least we all agree the original Xbox was one of the worst systems ever, joined by crap like the Vita and the Xbox One.

There are tons of great shooting games for PS2. What are you talking about? Call of Duty, Halflife, I can't even be bothered listing them. Are you actually going to argue that the PS2 doesn't have a great library? Are you that fuked in the head?

>Name good WPRG, racing, shooting games for the PS2 that are on par with the best games from said genres at the time.
Idk about rpgs but PS2 had GT and timesplitters. both top tier games of the day.

>the other forced the company to pander towards the casual market
But that's what made it the last good Nintendo console

Halo 2 was the shit though

Halo is a series that suffers from being objectively good but completely nondescript and unmemorable as an experience.

The gameplay is on point but the whole "badass super marine shoots aliens" schtick is flavorless as all hell, no matter how much lore Bungie bolts onto it.

The Xbox was the best console of the 6th gen. Fuck off weeb.

I think with the PS2 happened the same thing like on the previous gen. Previous gen you had (main companies)

>N64 who pissed off a lot of developers for cartridges.
>Sega, what is their next gen console? 32X? SegaCD? Saturn? They fucked up EVERYTHING that gen.

PS1 came in with cheap games, easy to develop and that full motion videos meme. It won, the end.

With this gen:
>Dreamcast, good console with lack of third party support and no plans for the future.
>GC, Mini DVD and lack of third party support plus that GC had no fucking identity,

PS2 came in with DVD support, cheap to develop games and it won.

In both generations their competition didn't know what the fuck where they doing. Sony just got lucky as fuck.

B8ting for (you)s won't change reality, not matter how many replies you get :(

This, Jesus. The ps2 had many 'good' games, but no great ones. Nothing that made me say "whoa, I gotta get that"

not him, but it's a tie for me, as much as that may seem like a copout

Weebshit is a genre that suffers from being objectively ok but completely nondescript and unmemorable as an experience.

The gameplay is on decent but the whole "panty quest, grinding, onichan fucks x" schtick is flavorless as all hell, no matter how much lore otakus bolts onto it.

Personally I was attracted to the system because of what I COULDN'T get on GameCube.

Burnout 3 was the main draw for me.

>generic "space marine saves the day" shootan is the hill this user will die on

>Year 2017
>People on Sup Forums will STILL do consolewar faggotry about consoles that haven't been in production in 10+ years

NOT

Nostalgia is a thing, and (you)s are (you)s, anons aren't picky.

It's not like there isn't argument to be had over which system already went out of production had the better library.

The PS2 had a great library due to being the safest bet for more devs, but as far as hardware goes it was a piece of crap, i regret that i have to get back to it so often

>Worst video output
>Weakest of it's gen bar the DC
>Sticked to memory cards when everyone was moving towards internal memory
>Only console that forced you to buy an extra accessory for 2+ multiplayer (PS1 is also guilty)
>Very rare but some PS1 games run into problems they wouldn't have on the original console
>Personally i don't love the Dualshock

I'd say every console that gen had something going for it, PS2 included obviously despite my bitching

Calling the ps2 a weeb machine is like calling the gamecube one as well. nonsense.

Sony came with tons of money to gain 3rd party exclusive thats all you need to know
they never played fair

Except it's not. jrpg's make up such a vast majority of the PS2's exclusive library and every playstation console for that matter that it's laughable.

>dmc
>mgs
>okami
>gt
>sotc and ico
>sh
>jak, ratchet and sly
>

Silent Hill and MGS2 are not PS2 exclusives. That said, the PS2 definitely had the strongest library out of the three main consoles. I think it's foolhardy to argue that.