Silent Hill

Playing this for the first time, getting inside the clock tower and leaving from the same entrance to enter the otherworld was brilliant

Silent Hill thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HoIJ2EzUtpo
youtube.com/watch?v=4mHCG4zbCPM&t=16s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Played Silent Hill 2 for the first time last week. It's disappointing that they don't make games like that anymore.

If any game deserved a proper remake it's Silent Hill 1.

Fuck Konami.

They are doing something for ZOE, maybe there is a chance one day

Emulated it a while ago. Why don't devs make games like this anymore?

The other thing right after that is WAY better, user, keep playing.
the bathroom thing

That requires artistic vision, talent, and a company willing to shell out the resources.

Because the new generation of game designers suck so much

ironically it was made by a group Konami deemed useless at the time.

It's my favorite Silent Hill game. You're playing a true masterpiece, hope you love it OP.

It was probably Konami rendering them useless.

Remember you can enter the bus

>Harry gets killed 5 minutes into the game
>magically okay 20 seconds later
Ummm silenthilltards?

Enjoy it while you can, OP. You only have 2 Silent Hill games to go after until the despair of realizing there hasn't been a good Silent Hill game in 15 years and that there'll never be another one again sets in

Be diligent and explore maps thoroughly. You will be rewarded with health, ammo, and other good things. This is more important in indoor maps, but there's a lot of stuff tucked away on the outside.

School is a great place. Very scary. The only hint I have for that, since it really fucked me running back and forth, is that there is something you find in the school that you can use on the roof to fill a small, hard to find hole.

It was a dying dream in the car crash you dumbass.

Alessa a slut.

Is there anything that tells you to use the red liquid (Which may be Aglopathis) on Cybil to make sure she lives in the ending? I remember saving her on my first playthrough but just because i tried fucking everything because i was at too low health to actually fight her and i don't think anywhere in the story says you should use that there

>mfw 15 people only worked on this game

youtube.com/watch?v=HoIJ2EzUtpo

>yfw you actually enjoyed Shattered Memories.

Honestly shattered memories isn't a bad idea in of itself, something like if Mainline Silent HIll is Digimon World, Shattered Memories could have been a Digimon Story game line.

>dreams about the otheworld and nightmare creatures before meeting them
Is Harry a wizard?

>98 office with old school screens and PS1 consoles everywhere

Looks so comfy, i wonder what are they doing these days

He was a writer so he probably wrote some weird shit.

Its just not scary and the story is predictable, the only thing that sort of got me was finding out i was Cheryl at the psychologist

The soundtracks to the first few games are fantastic. Not only just fitting for the games' atmospheres, but also surprisingly unique combinations of alt rock and ambient that rank up there with the original influences themselves. Very good stuff.

Now 500+ work on big games with the budget of millions and Hollywood marketing and they all turn out to be uninspired trash

It's tense at first running from the raw shocks (what a dumb name), until you get lost in the mazes a few times and become very frustrated. There is such a fine line between fear and frustration and too many games don't get it right.

What's his face wasn't wrong, "if Resident Evil has spin-offs why can't Silent HIll" I'm sure no one would have minded something silly in between two serious releases, it's just that Book of Memories really was shit.

I would like a Silent Hill gokart game

That's why they turn out to be uninspired trash.

I don't think so, but you can learn about the use of Aglaophotis in the ending if You save Kaufmann. So technically you can only 'know' of it on the second playthrough. That is if you connect the dots and figure out that it could work on cybil as well.

eyo somebody post that silent hill setup image

man i hate games nowadays...

Silent hill 1 and 3 are the only true silent hills.
sillent hill 2 ruined the series by making it "muh personal therapy session"

This?

Pyramidhead is in Konami racers

That wasn't my biggest gripe with the game, i was more angry that the game doens't try to scare you and you end up feeling 100% safe when there is no ice around

I liked the more "downer" aspect of Shattered Memories. When you realize that literally everyone that Harry meets in the game is someone that he actually knew, but like with life, everyone moved on and forgets.

It's honestly an interesting type of isolation from the usual silent hill. Where you are surronded by people and yet you never felt so lonely.

2 is a fantastic game but it's my least favorite of the first 3.

Thanks

You know it was just them copying ideas they saw from American movies trying to be like resident evil?

Almost nothing about this was unique it just happened to be unique through the creation process.

I liked the atmosphere of it being a snowstorm but it's not scary.

So one of the things the creators said about Silent HIll working is that the fears revolving around Death and Sex are universal, but now adays with us being so desensitized with death in videogames, would it really work anymore?

Shattered memories is everything that's wrong about the series.

It was well made but a horrible idea.

No during the first run but at the end kauffman uses it againts alessa so tgats tge clue and it its aglo

You are supposed to play it many times and not get the best best ending the first time

This reminds me of how i felt when i played this game in 99, in that time it truly felt like playing an open world survivor horror with lots of freedom compared to Resident Evil 1-3.

Yes, it's not cultural fear.
People will always have their animal instincts kick in when they see those things.

I don't doubt it. Konami put them together because they felt they were under-performing. When in fact it was just because of Konami sticking its nose in everything. It got to the point where Konami was like "fuck it" and left the team to their own devices and thank fuck that they did because the man behind all the art and shit did all his work by himself. No interference from executives or anything like that and that's why the early Silent Hills games were so memorable and impactful.

>that mall tv area
>the windmill area

Honestly the games are at their best with generic industrial zones.

don't know, Homecoming and Downpour really suck

Silent hill 1 honestly might have the best story.

Shame the writer left after.

I don't remember SH2 story well but how the fuck monsters even exist there? Origin of Silent Hill nightmare was Alessa and Incubus/Samael sealed in her. She's not present in SH2 time so why town gets fucked again?

This is the quality of bait these days.

If done correctly things like that will always work. Ever wonder why certain monsters are so recognizable and so well known these days? It's because they play off of universal human fears.

Cthulhu - fear of the unknown, unknowable and uncontrollable.
Vampires - representation of human gluttony, being buried alive (hence them resting in coffins) and the spread of disease (bloodsucking)

The most terrifying and longlasting monsters such as zombies and such survive because they show us parts of ourselves that we as humans don't want to face.

Watch this video by Extra Credits to understand what I mean: youtube.com/watch?v=4mHCG4zbCPM&t=16s

>She's not present in SH2 time so why town gets fucked again?
Town got fucked from what happen with.her its just residuals

Wow, nice coincidence. I literally just got done downloading SH2 Dicrector's Cut together with the Widescreen and fog fix and enhanced FMVs.

I don't know why I'm telling you this, because I don't feel like talking to you assholes, so suck my dick.

>representation of human gluttony, being buried alive

Actually it's that rich people are sucking the life out of the the lower caste and the extreme decadence they wrap themselves in.

I don't fucking know man. Maybe what they did there had a lingering effect on the town? It was pretty weird that Silent Hill 2 isn't connected to 1 or 3 in any way.

Hey, that's aweso... fuck you too, buddy.

>extra creditz
Only good video they had was their animation stuff.

Should've just emulated it. In my experience the emulation is much better than the director's cut even with the patches.

HEY GUYZ

Devs wanted to make a Jacobs ladder and Solaris game but didn't want to make a new ip.

They just do. And they all want to play psychiatrist for some reason.

They do some good ones every once in a while. I thought their video on "What makes us roleplay" was pretty good. But then again I try to listen to as many sources as I can when talking about game design. This guy called Mark Brown has a really interesting series called GameMaker's Toolkit that I find to be really interesting and insightful.

Silent hill 2 isn't bad but it ruined the series.

Like how overwatch ruined arena shooters.

imagine creating a videogame that was never going to receive updates, that had no online component whatsoever, and had to physicsally (digitally?) fit on the disc you intended to produce it on. and then the final product was silent hill 2. no modern gave developers truly face these issues.

Need better bait than that my dude.

Heather doesn't wear a bra! She's a slut!

While we're on the subject of Silent Hill 3. What the fuck happened with Silent Hill: Revelation (the movie)? They tried basing it around 3 but fucked it up so badly. Especially with the way they shoehorned Pyramid head in.

Yeah ive seen his videos guy has a fetish for diagrams.

If we're recommending I like regnar rox videos on monster stuff.
He's not entirely knowledgeable about the subjects but he does his homework.

It's a bit more complicated than that. The practices of cult made the spiritual power of the town be related to the demon god. In SH1 the spiritual power materialises the nightmare from the god in Alessa. In the end the demon god dies, but the spiritual power stays twisted. After that the town calls people with darkness in their hearts and materialises that darkness in the real world. Thats why in SH1 the monsters and puzzles are all related to Alessas memories, and in SH2 all of the characters have their personal nightmare, that can sometimes overlap with each other (James has Pyramid Head and Maria for example, Angela has Abstract Daddies and fire etc)

But it did reciev an update

> when girls wanted to design cute girl characters
Take me bavk

A re-release that just adds an unnecessary mode and new ending is hardly the same thing.

I still think this is the most terrifying video game ever made.

I played it for the first time att 30 years of age, AMA

>ragnar rox

My nigga. I like his stuff too, especially his love letters.

I also recommend Mason Miller and GaminGHD.

>shoehorned Pyramid head in.

Honestly it's an accomplishment to not do that.

Honestly it probably sucks because it was just as bad as the first one but it didn't have the cinematographer carry it.

Why is that demonic Town playing psychologist? Why is the manifestation of James's desire for punishment so slow? Like you can while away while I try to punish you slow? Why is there pizza on there?

evelopment of Silent Hill started in September 1996. The game was created by Team Silent, a group of staff members within the Konami Computer Entertainment Tokyo studio. The new owners of its parent company Konami sought to produce a game that would be successful in the United States. For this reason, a Hollywood-like atmosphere was proposed[by whom?] for Silent Hill. The staff members that were assigned to the game's development had failed at their previous projects. They intended to leave Konami, as they were not allowed to realize their own ideas, and were not compatible with the company's other teams. According to composer Akira Yamaoka, the developers did not know how to proceed with the Silent Hill project, either. As the time passed, the personnel and management of Konami lost their faith in the game, and the members of Team Silent increasingly felt like outsiders. Despite the profit-oriented approach of the parent company, however, the developers of Silent Hill had much artistic freedom because the game was still produced as in the era of lower-budget 2D titles. Eventually, the development staff decided to ignore the limits of Konami's initial plan, and to make Silent Hill a game that would appeal to the emotions of players instead.

What a story

Literally jews.

>he's over 23 and still posts here

Jesus

>manifestation for punishment
If you're talking about pyramid head that's not his punishment, because I shit you not that's his guardian angel

When did you realize your life went down the shitter?

Goddamit Konami is full of assholes

>If you're talking about pyramid head that's not his punishment, because I shit you not that's his guardian angel

It's both you retard.

How old are you

Under 24

Did something happen to SH user?

>can rape James and gently walk away unscathed from his guardian angel's attacks
What a shitty guardian angel. Even a demonic dog would do a better job.

That explains your retardedness

The only part I enjoyed(and I enjoyed it a lot) was coloring.

They should have had you color way before the house scene.

It's not the town playing psychologist, you misunderstand something. The town calls those people to punish them, not to cure them. All the living characters that were called to SH are punished one way or another - Angela commits suicide, Eddie dies after going crazy and James - well that depends on the player. That explains the second question - james wants punishment, but does he actually want to die? There is Leave and Maria ending where he accepts his deeds and moves on with his life. It all depends on the person. As for the pizza - its related to Eddies nightmare, his obsession with food and obesity. James sees it because the nightmare can overlap as I said earlier, just like in the scene with Angela and burning hotel - James can see the fire which is related to Angela

best atmospheric series that's best played at night with lights turned off

Although Sato was largely responsible for the game's cinematics and characters at this point, his superior still did not want to fully credit his work, and intended to assign a visual supervisor to him. To prevent this from happening, Sato volunteered to create the full-motion videos of Silent Hill by himself. Over the course of two and a half years, he lived in the development team's office, as he had to render the scenes with the approximately 150 Unix-based computers of his coworkers after they left work at the end of a day.

Is the ZOE thing the entire second game with some VR tacked on, or the game remade entirely for VR?

Who here is excited for Silent Hills?

Why would the town care if James wants to actually die or not if it isn't playing psychologist? Why give the fat fuck food instead of punishing him by starvation?
SH2 Town is a wannabe psych and that's why it's the least scary game of the original 4.

It wasn't even trying to be very scary. Just look at the Otherworld in SH2 compared to SH1. One is designed to be super edgy hell on earth and the other is just sad.

And that's why games copying it ruined the series.