"Oddword: Soulstorm is not a remake; it is a brand new game" - Lorne Lanning

Lorne Lanning just did a talk at EGX 2017 where he's let some details of Soulstorm out.

Full talk is here: www.twitch dot tv/videos/176633226

Teaser trailer is here: youtube.com/watch?v=n-38q2W9Ob0

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QkhDrngAQZ0
youtube.com/watch?v=X81_zA-3O5s
youtube.com/watch?v=2eacxC3D4uo
youtube.com/watch?v=EimBWr19Rv8
youtube.com/watch?v=29Qhg6wwgZc
youtube.com/watch?v=svGJrRKbOc4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If it's like New n Tasty then it can fuck off.

The Magog Cartel has also been retconned so the members are actual characters rather than being comic relief like VP Aslik

Sure, I don't mind Vykkers reintroduced into canon earlier.

>crafting
They better be joking.

Lorne said it's possible to get through the game saving every Modokon AND not killing a single Slig (or any other enemy).

Why would anyone care about not killing sligs, though?

I will never understand non-lethal autists.

They're in the same boat as Modokons; slaves to the Glukkons.

>"Sligs were originally primitive and simple living creatures who preferred swampy regions, living in bodies of water in bogs and lakes. However, when the Glukkons first encountered them, they turned out to be a sentient species. The Glukkons were able to easily negotiate that if the Sligs would work for them, they could grant them mechanical aids for easy mobility, which they reluctantly accepted. In return for the robotic Slig Pants that grant them the ability to walk, Sligs have pledged their loyalty to the Glukkon Industrialists as henchmen and bodyguards. In truth, much of the Glukkon success has been achieved by the Slig's combat capabilities."

These.

Fuuuck, all art so far looks simply gorgeous. I don't want to get hyped after the New'n'Tasty fiasco, but they're not making it easy.
Look at this shit.

>Oddworld: Soulstorm

WITCHCRAFT
HERESY
AND MUTATION

Unlike Mudokons they are better off with their new lives.
You know a species is royally fucked up if the most severe punishment is being sent back to their abusive queen-mother.

What's so bad about new and tasty?

And no I haven't played it, just don't know.

>Soulstorm
fool me twice

It was made by a shitty company that wants to leech off already established franchises. Now there is a lot wrong with it, I could literally spend this entire thread getting angry about it. Its not about being a contrarian they fucked up just about everything down to simple aesthetics.

Plenty of the original level design is messed up or downright trivialized by no screen to screen transition.
3 difficulty choices with Hard being the original experience. Easy and Normal turn enemies into blind retard and give you a health bar so you're less likely to fuck up even though quicksave is already more than enough anyway.
Also, most dedicated autists latched on to art direction breaking the rules of Oddworld that were established in some old artbook.

>new and tasty
Here's a good video summing it up, though it's quite long.
youtube.com/watch?v=QkhDrngAQZ0

>Oddword: Soulstorm is not a remake; it is a brand new game

>it's literally a remake

>matthewmatosis

Pass.

Clearly a different game merely following the same plot outline.

>fucked up controls so bad they had to patch it...and they're still nowhere near PSX controls
>everything is too bright and clean, like the Star Wars prequels
>ads for indie games on in-game bulletin boards that got patched out due to public outcry
>animations like possession look Unity-tier
>everything is made vastly easier since areas aren't broken up by static frames anymore

Like how Ghostbusters was an all new movie following the same premise, not just a remake.

The only connection to the original is the fact that it continues the story after Abe's Oddysee. From a game design perspective it's completely new

I'm willing to give them another chance and even though that teaser is nice and I'm going to have to see some gameplay

>isn't handled by original creator
>goes full bloom despite the fact that the majority of the game is dark, gritty, and moody
>original could be difficult, but the remake absolutely gutted the difficulty
>choppy animations and controls that had to be patched later
>indie games advertised throughout a game with an anti-corporate story

>non-lethal autists

If you can survive without killing any people ever, then killing is extremely optional and never mandatory, if you can't then morals and ethics are fiction, meant to prevent you from killing.

Then again mindlessly killing anything and everything that breathes makes you a threat to pretty much everything so it's not exactly good for survival.

Also dying isn't legally mandatory either.

Nothing. People just parrot eceleb opinion

Yeah but this is the game Lorne originally wanted to make but couldn't due to extreme technical, time and budget restraints.

I doubt Nu-Ghostbusters was the original vision of that movie.

Epic, user. Here's your (You).
Remember to show up for the next Zelda thread.

If slapping a similar story on a completely different game with vastly different gameplay counts as a remake in your book, then sure, have it your way.
It's not like I feel like advocating for an Oddworld game with a fucking crafting system out of all things.

>Dude, it's wrong to force people into slavery and conduct fatal experiments on them, lmao.
SJWs strike again it seem.

>Grow up with abes oddyset
>Some people shit on my childhood
Here's your (you)

Oddworld is weird. The original is so neatly done and the world/lore is so interesting but every single thing that came afterwards is shit.

>Go to EGX for the past 3 years
>Nothing of any value
>Decide to not go so I can save money and buy components when I get paid
>This happens today

The in-game ads in New N Tasty didn't really bother me.

I know they don't make sense from a world building perspective but it doesn't go against the game anti-corporate story. None of the ads were paid for; Lorne put them in just to help out other indies. He knows it can be so hard to get your game seen when you have next to no marketing budget so he wanted to create an environment where indies could help each other out through cross-promotion.

And Velocity 2X (one of the games advertised) is one of the best games on PSN btw.

>Every single thing
>Exoddus
user, please. Shit taste like that must be terminal.

Where ma nigga Abe at

Generic 3d art instead of beautiful 2d art which in part made it lose the great atmosphere of the original.

its really just a self imposed challenge
I like when the games that reward you for it

To be fair, that wasn't the issue with New and Tasty and people just parrot the Matthewmatosis video when people bring it up.

The design in the most important part of the game, RuptureFarms looks like trash. Everything I've seen of Soulstorm looks great though.

Been waiting for a new oddworld game since the Xbox one

Hoping for no Abe personally

That's completely fine, but some people take it to such an absurd degree, including making headcanon in games like MGS that big boss never kills anyone just so they can justify their metal illness that every stealth game ever made has to let you go completely non-lethal.

The ads are a nitpick. The controls, significantly lowered difficulty, horrendous audio mixing especially during cutscenes, and performance are not.

youtube.com/watch?v=X81_zA-3O5s

Yeah, "Reward".

>Completely fuck up the aesthetic of the game I grew up with
>Because some minor critic agrees its no longer a valid point of view
Piss off.

>Soulstorm
/r/ing Abe as a SoB

New n tasty was hot gabage. This trailer looks even worse.

yea I see what you're saying
I didn't like how in Dishonored the lethal options were so much more fun and cool and gave you more variations

He's just saying that the advertisements are emphasized just because Matthew mentioned them, which downplays the extremely poor quality of the remake. Just having ads isn't enough to explain the other problems to someone unfamiliar with the game.

I pretty much lump oddysee and exoddus together, my bad. Barely know where one begins and the other one ends.

When I was 4 I couldn't tell the difference either so I ended up having my parents buy exoddus when I wanted oddysey. best mistake ever

I disagree. Abes Exodus was fantastic. I can see an argument against Munchs Odyssey so ill give you that, but Strangers Wrath was great. NewnTasty doesnt count. Like Thief 4.

What sound does he make again?

user, RuptureFarms looks terrible. The fact that they didn't add any new areas and simply inflated Mudokon counts to make for the All o'ya command being added, added pointless mechanics such as bottlecap throwing, had to patch in traditional controls after people bitched at the terrible analogue system which doesn't work for a platformer like Oddworld and they generally didn't improve anything beyond visual fidelity along with using a terrible engine like Unity is why the game is terrible.

Not because of some shitty billboards.

Glad to see someone can read.

Exoddus is fantastic. It bums me out that Lorne wasn't happy with the result.

this thing was cringy as hell

>making obvious muh illuminati on the top
>yeah we are fucked
>abe is like bin laden

Lore isn´t that good with talking, and don´t let me start with qa guys.

Also, we only saw some UI shit. I didn´t see gameplay. The biggest flaw of New n Tasty is the real lack of atmosphere and their moving camera is shit.

I played recently both games on 100% and damn they look still fucking good. Yeah the resoultion is shit, but the art design is incredible. The game felt real and yes most of the shit I realized watching the shitty eceleb video. The lack of detail in New n Tasty is there and it´s not small!

ACK EECK UHUHUHU

youtube.com/watch?v=2eacxC3D4uo
Who allowed this to happen

Lorne Lanning is a pretty cool guy, if a bit preachy. I admire that he has always maintained his ethical code and would rather let a game sit on the backburner for years than let a publisher railroad him just to get it made.

I think every Oddworld is pretty good or at least interesting but yeah the original is certainly the best.

""""""lorne""""""" is a gay homo who can't code or do 3d, oh wow he can """"IMAGINE"""" and """WRITE""" wow he has the mental capacity of a kid in 3rd grade but WAIT socia lcommentary on capitalism xD

follow me

ERE BOI

GIT EM

CHIKA CHIKA BO

I played this game when I was younger, honestly what the fuck is even going on in this series

And yet he has a dedicated group of technically-minded people who follow him by choice. What have you done?

play the first two instead. Magnitudes better than the 3D shit

This game has an amazing industrial soundtrack
youtube.com/watch?v=EimBWr19Rv8

That looks like a reimagined feeco depot, but that glukkon doesnt look like vp aslik

Kino sound designs all around.
>The walking
>The voices
>The musical theme queues

HUHUH.

Is this the best 2D action-platformer ever?

In top 5 for sure.
We were really lucky to be able to play it as kids. What a journey that was.

We didn´t see anything that let me believe it will be better than new n tasty. Just some concept art designs.

The literal only thing that give me hope about it was because of the qa. He said something about "I hope it is enjoyable to manage everything etc." that´s it.

Please be good, or at least have a good atmosphere and ideas that may inspire someone to make a better game later.

>End of the presentation reveals RTS elements

Hand Of Odd survived!

>still no hand of odd
>still no fangus klott

curse you lorne you beautiful bastard

Was it really that bad? I never played it

I'm glad Oddworld is getting more attention these days, even if the newest one wasn't the best

It was fine.

Oddworld dug itself into a rut BEFORE New N' Tasty. Munch's Oddysee fucking sucked, and Stranger's Wrath was too far of a departure to be compared to the original Abe games. New N' Tasty was just another disappointment, not the first one.

I don't expect this to be good, but it's not like I've lost all hope. This is their last chance to bring me back in after one too many missteps.

Glad to see someone else who appreciates the game's OST. Here, have one of my favorite tracks from the game youtube.com/watch?v=29Qhg6wwgZc

I'm pretty sure this next game is them experimenting since this isn't going to be a full remake. If this flops maybe they'll bank more on nostalgia next time and make something more faithful so I personally wouldn't jump ship if this new game isn't that great.

>bring me back in
>one too many missteps
nigga they made like 4 games over 20 years

wtf are you so stressed about

Art style ruined, controls ruined, animations ruined, voice acting inferior to the original, atmosphere ruined, gameplay inferior to the original. Does not transition well to a side-scrolling game. Includes EASY MODO so you can tank bullets and not actually solve the puzzles of avoiding enemies.

The video is on point though.

OST is something out of this world. Only two things spooked me as a kid, the Playstation boot up screen and fucking Exoddus loading music
youtube.com/watch?v=svGJrRKbOc4

I'm not stressed, I'm just pointing out that the last three games of a five game series have all either been bad, or too different to be called an Oddworld game.

Best cinematic platformer at the very least.

Oddworld was never defined by it's genre. The original plan was to have the Quintology be completely different from each other. It's only because GT Interactive demanded they churn out a sequel in less than a year of the original game people now think "Oddworld = 2D platforming series"

t. Lorne

Always did this on the first part of Rupture Farms
>possess slig
>"Hi!"
>slig wakes up
>"Hi!"
>ATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATA
>"A A"
>suicide

shit I read that wrong though it said soulborne for a second, And triggered my autism.

Don't be so harsh on New N Tast guys. There were far worse remakes of classic cinematic puzzle platformers in the last few years.

I still listen to it sometimes during work/reading.

you just make it sound so serious

for me Oddworld is like a kooky old friend that drops in to visit every so often, it's not the kind of series I really get burned on because their releases are so sparse

Why did cinematic platformers die?
The only 3D example I can think of are the early Tomb Raider games.

Its not about being harsh, they fucked it up. Now either they can take the feedback and appreciate that, or arrogantly dismiss it because other people have produced trash. I loved Abes Oddysey it was literally one of my first PS games, I remember watching the scenes that would play to stop the screenburn in Electronics Boutique. New N Tasty fucking shat on everything.

>and Stranger's Wrath was too far of a departure to be compared to the original Abe games

Already outed yourself as an oddworld fan.