Sunshine Appreciation Thread

Why do most people hate this game? I get that it’s extremely different from 64, and the 100% ending is just plain bullshit, but this is a classic. Get in here, my Sunshine bros.

Sunshine Peach

>bad level design
>fludd make platforming too easy
>missing many moves from mario 64
>laughable final boss fight
>no bowser levels (excpet last one where you have to steer a ship thru lava)
>yoshi is pretty useless and dissolves in water
>half the missions arent platforming focused
>why do people hate it?

I was under the impression Sunshine is mostly well liked.
makes a good point and most of those reasons are why I'm not too fond of the game either.

Because so much of it is devoted to fucking around with FLUDD or blue coin hunting, it just doesn't spend enough time as a proper Mario game. The fact that the "secret" levels are pretty much everyone's favorite part says it all.

At the end of the day, Fludd replaced several of Mario's typical jumps. Fucking with the controls that way was just a bad idea. Add on top of that some of the WORST bonus stages in any Mario game, and you have a lot of people pissed off. Honestly, I still think it's a good game.

I think the main game is fantastic, absolutely a masterpiece.

It's when you get to the fucking blue coins and optional stars where the game becomes such a ridiculous chore.

It felt like half the game was complete and the developers were told to hurry up, and because they HAD to have 120 stars like 64, they just bullshitted the rest of the game.

It has fun level ideas and areas but FLUDD is terrible. It's funny how in the games they have tried to make FLUDD disappear but in Smash Bros they made him part of Mario's move set as a reminder of how shitty it is.

>>laughable final boss fight

Don't really get this one, as if Mario games are known for their impeccable boss fights

This is perfectly valid criticism.

I like that the game is fairly easy to pick up, but has a ridiculously high skill ceiling. Most of the hardest levels/secrets in the game hold totally optional shines (ie. the lilypad level)

>subjective
>not required
>only missing punch/kick and slide kick actually, but still understandable
>understandable
>understandable
>useful for advanced platforming; understandable about the water
>only 3 missions of each level are dedicated to red coin/shadow mario, rest are boss/platforming

Honestly, it's flawed, but it's a good game. I think people focus too much on the negatives and not enough on the positives. It feels great to see the levels have more focus on platforming than Mario 64 and using FLUDD for advanced platforming techniques is incredibly satisfying

You need to go back and play it. I had a pretty lukewarm feeling towards it since it came out but realized a lot of bad shit about it once I replayed it.
>Mario is too slippery
>Too few levels
>Some of the few levels are boring/forgettable
>Boring concepts like riding a boat for too long and fishing for a specific yoshi fruit
>Fludd makes things easy
>Music is good most of the time but has really dumb shit in it
I think the game needed to have more mechanics around cleaning shit with water management from FLUDD. There could have been a stain at the end of a long platforming section that couldn't be cleaned if you used the hove pack more than twice or something. The level design was kind of interesting in that it contextualized everything but it didn't have the feeling of going to new worlds that the other 3D marios had. The water was gorgeous but there needed to be more levels with it as a focal point and not just a side thing. I also think there needed to be a more interesting mechanic to swimming and the diving portions are not what I had in mind. Boss fights were never a showstopper before in Mario games so the finale doesn't bother me too much. All in all, it falls short compared to other 3D Marios due to a lack of direction. It didn't feel as razor sharp as 64 and I didn't feel like they explored their central mechanics as much as possible like with Galaxy.

>Why do most people hate this game?
Because it's fashionable. Honestly the only reason why.

Bottom Left

Guess the Map really did show isle delphino after all

at least mario 64's final fight was not big fat bowser in a hottub

>Why do most people hate this game?
They don't. Most people really like this game, it's just a few tards on Sup Forums being contrarian.

That magma boat was fucking bullshit though

>>bad level design
>>half the missions arent platforming focused
these are the only ones I can agree with, but they're pretty major

it feels off after playing 64. something about the controls or level design or something.

Some of the shines are just bullshit, like that yoshi one in the lighthouse. But I still like the game just because the levels are all fun looking places that I want to run around in. The music also isn't repeated across levels like in 64

DON'T TOUCH THAT STUFF, BOIS

That's because there are barely any levels.

Sunshine is the best fucking Mario game ever made

I don't think its the best one ever but I certainly loved the ambiance it had.

It's a good game it's the weakest of the 3D Marios, although I can talk about 3d worlk because I haven't played, but apart from that every other 3d Mario is vastly superior.

it's a good game dragged down by some issues that don't exist in any other mario game

Fludd was a fantastic advancement in Mario platforming.