odyssey is coming out in 2017

amazing how sunshine has better water

>nintendo is not about graphics
>it's about outdated technology
t.all nintendo users

better water yet considered one of the worst 3d mario games

imagine that

mario sunshit screenshots will never not be ptsd inducing

tbf sunshine has the best water of any game released so far. Not even current gen games come close

Look at this crap, what the fuck?

Where the Hell was all this love for the Sunshine and the Gamecube during the console's actual heyday?

This thread makes me moist

mmm, not as good as sunshine's water. Looks kind of papery.

So fucking delusional

fuck yeah a water graphics thread.

how long before we get real simulated volumetric water in games?

never

soon

When your GPU can calculate the position of 100m particles 60 times a second.

now

That's not exactly water.

eventually

This. They poured all their love into that goddamn ocean and I adore it.

With the advent of animated backgrounds, I would totally put the shoreline of Delfino on my desktop.

I'm getting tide of these water threads

Topical

I'm convinced no video game so far has water better than Sunshine
There's some simulations that do it better but Sunshine is the only game that does it great

>60hz engine tickrate
>144hz monitor framerate

Sorry, meant to write 10m, 10m would allow decent water at a decent scale.

Sunshines main theme was water, they had to make it look good because you were be looking at water the entire game. Odyssey, and most other games, aren't water themed games and as such don't put so much focus into making it look good.

>60 times a second

I'll take 20fps if it means sweet ass water

More like tropical.

Would have been nice if they ported the Galaxy games in HD. Wii had some good games but goddamn the hardware didn't do them justice.

So the comet observatory has to be a level too, right? Mario 64 and Sunshine get levels. Donkey Kong gets a level.

>sweet ass water
ew

Could this game possibly get any better?

>10m

could probably get good effects with even less. They don't need to simluate a whole ocean of water a clever programmer could make it so only a small area of top layer water a square meter or so around the character was simulated. it would give a good illusion that the whole body of water was simulated without being taxing on the gpu

youtube.com/watch?v=GPZL84QrfBQ
Here’s what 20m particles looks like in a semi large volume.

Modern high end GPU’s can handle ~1m in real time in unreal engine by using Nvidia cataclysm.

>better

the game looks bad

sunshine better water

youtube.com/watch?v=enb1Sz7-gJw
Forgot cataclysm link.

hnnnng i was born in the wrong time. i want to play a game with water like this

I’ve played around with 100k particles and that’s not even close to enough, it’s certainly in the millions, even when only simulating near the surface.

With 100k you could fill a bathtub and have it look decent.

Oh and this video looks devent from the areial view but if your view was down close with the water, like in a game, it’d look kind of blobby and weird.

roblox has good looking water desu

Top of the line GPU’s today have a 30x better compute performance than cards from ten years ago. If the trend continues, in ten years we could have really impressive water simulation in real time.

Odyssey has better water
The water is indeed not a flat surface but is an undulating mesh, at least in Bubblaine, and the water reacts better to objects moving around in it

Sunshine doesn't have the best water of any game.

Did anyone notice that strange looking island next to the Mushroom Kingdom, looks like a moon with a nose and something popping out of his back and some kind or rock next to it.

Crash 3 had some amazing water

yeah a lot of fluids can't actually be modeled analytically to an extent that one would expect; most visual modelling is mostly heuristic

We keep having threads about great water in games, but what are some games with fucking terrible water?

I remember Monster Hunter on Wii U the ocean on deserted island was literally painful to look at, can't find a picture unfortunately.

u look bad

Sunshine has better water than many games, even new games, user. Stop your faggotry.

sunshine's water isn't really that good

That's supposed to look purple

shhh