“In Japan, everything is tailored. You’ve probably heard Sheena Iyengar’s TED talk...

>“In Japan, everything is tailored. You’ve probably heard Sheena Iyengar’s TED talk, in which she went to a restaurant in Japan and tried to order sugar in her green tea. The people at the cafe said, “One does not put sugar in green tea,” and then, “We don’t have sugar.” But when she ordered coffee instead, it did come with sugar! In Japan, there’s a sense of, “We’re making this thing for you, and this is how we think this thing is better enjoyed.” This is why, in Splatoon, the maps rotate every couple of hours. And the modes change. “I bought this game. Why can’t I just enjoy this game the way I want?” That’s not how we think here. Yes, you did buy the game. But we made this game. And we’re pretty confident about how this game should be enjoyed. If you stick with us, and if you get past your initial resistance, you’re going to have the time of your life with this game. You’re really going to love it.”
>“You have to trust us that if you could play Salmon Run online anytime, that would result in a worse experience for you and everybody.” To an American like me, that feels really hostile and a little dramatic. Then again, how many times have I been late to appointments or hanging with friends because the burden of choice made me hesitate when I was picking a restaurant or thinking about what I wanted on my burger? Not being able to play Salmon Run at certain times of the day feels like an inconvenience, but maybe Nintendo’s actually doing me a favor. Now I’ll go to bed instead of staying up all night playing Splatoon!”

mynintendonews.com/2017/09/07/nintendo-designer-has-explained-why-salmon-run-isnt-always-available/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lDq9-QxvsNU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Damn these japs know what's up. I fucking hate Chipotle/Subway style everything. You're the expert, fucking make me the best tasting thing you can.

He's right, the fact that Salmon Run is not available at all times is why people come back to play it all the time.

Also
>putting sugar in green tea
Bitch should be happy that

>He's right, the fact that Salmon Run is not available at all times is why people come back to play it all the time.

This is 100% why I am still playing it all the time. If I could just play it whenever I would only play it when I was out of money.

you. are. retarded.

Okay?

Japs are correct. This American sense of entitlement is disgusting and becoming increasingly bothersome.

Go. Back. To. Tumblr. If. You. Type. Like. This.

This is probably the most retarded thing I've seen in a while and it's just baffling that they said with an straight face.

Sup Forums will defend this because "lel based japan western devs suxx xDDD"

Mmmmmmmmmm nope. It's just an excuse for how shoddy of a sequel Splatoon 2 is. They use the culture card, so now if anyone dares to critique it, they are met by hordes of fedora tipping weaboos saying "no no no you silly gaijin, you just don't understand glorious Japanese cultures folded 1000000 times over"

>if you could play Salmon Run online anytime, that would result in a worse experience for you and everybody
This is blatantly true. I don't understand why anyone would think i wasn't.

No, they'll defend it because it's nintendo. This is nintendogaf after all.

It's not a horrible idea, prevents that whole "the entire community solely plays one or two maps that you might hate" thing that happens in a ton of fps games.

On one hand, locking modes can be useful to boost player count for these modes. On the other hand, the same results can be achieved by offering boosters for playing the mode during "prime time".

Titanfall 2 managed it with the clan set "happy hour", promoting players getting on regularly to play with their clanmates.

Blocking the mode however isn't a good idea unless you're so tight for server power that you can't host both (highly unlikely). Not to mention the simple issue of lacking practice opportunity for said gamemode.

>food analogies

When the servers shut down how can I play Salmon Run?

Fuck you, I want a burrito this way, and I'll tell you when I want chicken or guacamole.

Never, pretty much.

Sugar in green tea fuck off based Nihon

Because you don't like those, I like guacamole so I'll pick that. This whole analogy points out just how bad Japan is at food services

>complaining about food analogies
every fucking time I swear you autists get mad over everything

>Sup Forums throws autistic tantrums over anyone liking anything they don't like
>japan does the same
I'm noticing a trend here with the whole "based Japan" thing

That said I do agree with what Splatoon does, having variety in a game isn't the same thing as having a shitfit over someone having a different opinion

>Japan

what a bunch of shitters, green tea is best with sweeteners and citrus while coffee is best black

I unironically prefer this. Artists should put themselves before the unwashed plebs who use their art. Of course, in videogames, there should also be a businessman telling the artists to stop being silly faggots.

None of that applies to indies ofc.

They also take off their shoes when they're inside of homes and they wear medical masks during times of flu and allergies!

they're so wacky! XD

*eats a hamburger after not washing his hands*

Locally

No, its done like that to ensure that everyone doesnt just grind for rewards right away, having the mode empty for the rest of the time.

That thing about Japanese culture IS true. They do have that "trust the expert" mentality and not everything is a personalized custom minimum wage handjob like how it is in the states.

However, the cynic in me thinks it's just more likely that they instead got their inspiration from shitty mobile games where events are only available certain times a day and certain days a week so that users spend in-game currency on energy refills to get as much of the limited time event as possible.

What are you trying to complain about? If you think for even a quarter of a second about anything in that image, you'd understand why it's done. Have you ever even eaten sushi before?

Meanwhile in America they have to remind you to wear shoes and a shirt inside of McDonalds.

Try telling that to /ck/
They give no fucks about how you eat sushi

I can't believe I lived to see the day the first post is in fact the worst post

/ck/ are drunk roasties who only ever ate awful grocery store sushi made from avocado, cream cheese, and imitation crab

Honestly I think it's comparable to those fancy restaurants where you have three forks for three different things. It's respectable to follow tradition but you don't need to know it unless you're showing off to someone.

Most of them make sense though.

It's surprising how much different the taste is when you dunk nigiri in soy sauce compared to dipping just the fish part in a little

Basically everyone who has some pride in their own work and culture will do this. Go to Italy and ask ketchup for your pasta and they'll tell you no. People take pride in their work, and when you go to a restaurant you are eating the chef's food, which (hopefully) had pride and care put into it, which makes it quite offensive and rude to add shit on top or modify it yourself. This line of thought applies to a lot of other things.

The only place that has this retarded idea of "the customer is always right" which leads to retards putting ketchup on their sushi and screeching like 3 year olds if they don't get to do what they want when they want is America, because it's a mongrelized superconsumerist shithole where nobody takes any pride in anything they do apart from earning more money, nor do they have any culture to be proud about.

For a minute I misread /ck/ as Sup Forums. I was gonna ask what the fuck does Sup Forums have to do with sushi.

Wait a minute.

>the japs take pride in their work

If that's true, then why do Japanese cars have aftermarket parts that change how they operate? Wouldn't that destroy their "vision" for how people should drive their cars?

this blog brought to you by audible.com

This is her TED talk
Thoughts?
youtube.com/watch?v=lDq9-QxvsNU

Kek

But many modern western games limit player selection as well. Overwatch immediately comes to mind. Also this is one foreigner' interpretation of Japanese design philosophy. I wouldn't necessarily split it cleanly down as to just "this is how Americans do it and this is how Japanese do it". There's a lot more thinking behind it than just following cultural norms.

>But many modern western games limit player selection as well. Overwatch immediately comes to mind.

There's TF2 who absolutely ruined its original 1960s aesthetic so that players could run around wearing silly hats and cross-promotional costumes.

The maps still aren't as unique or as good as Splatoon 1

Tell me where the American touched you senpai.

Shut the fuck up, faggot

He's right though

This is also why the open world meme makes for such shitty games

Why should a pleb decide what to do when a professional games maker that is good at his job knows better? If you don't like it buy another game

You're the same kind of American shitter that goes to Japan and complains about racism because some ojii gave you the stink eye for screeching in train carts. Link the TED talk so I can cringe some more about misrepresentation of Japanese culture. What a fucking joke. What kind of utter dumbass orders sweetened green tea?

Time to spout more bullshit about Japan that normies will take at face value.

What kind of pleb drinks cofee with sweeteners?

Japs are a bunch of casuals

At least they're not the country from which originated the most toxic psuedo-coffee chain in the world.

is this image right or is this just a troll?

Is there a way to check the Salmon Run times without actually going to the game? It's fucking retarded that they still haven't added that to the app

>she went to a restaurant in Japan and tried to order sugar in her green tea
>sugar in green tea
>being this degenerate

>normies
Good job ousting yourself, normalfag.

Honestly the rotation is the reason why I'm not on splatoon regularly, I just want to play rainmaker and a bit of turf wars but I dont want to get stuck with one rotation with horrible maps. Its a waste of my fucking time I ain't asking for sugar in my tea I'm asking for my tea to be served whenever the fuck I want it.

It's mostly trivial stuff, akin to utensil use and placement in America. Nobody notices or cares if you us the proper etiquette, and what is expected of you changes with the quality of the establishment you're visiting. Think the difference between a Denny's and a fancy restaurant.

It's right

shit, now I feel bad. I went to Japan and nobody said anything to me and some of the japs with me did the same as I did, but now I feel like a shitter

Pros of Map Rotation/limited Salmon Run
>Prevent the community from condensing down to one popular map/mode
>Encourage players to play for brief periods rather than continuously, preventing people from burning out
>Encouraging players to come back to the game regularly
>Keeps things fresh, stops you falling into a rut
>Makes playing the game more like an event
>Improves players posture and smell

Cons of Map Rotation
>Durrr gib me back my freedoms you nip shit
>USA USA USA USA

Really makes you think.

Dude, as long as you look vaguely western, they don't give a shit. In that pic, replace the anger of the chef with reaffirmation of racial superiority. Anyways, when in doubt, just eat sushi with your hands. It's actually politer.

>Sugar in green tea

What the fuck

Fpbp

>You have to trust us that if you could play Salmon Run online anytime, that would result in a worse experience for you and everybody
This is objectively true, and everyone in this fucking thread knows it.

>trying to understand Japanese people

Is this also why turning on motion controls prohibits you from using the right stick to look up/down, with no option to turn it back on?

Japs will always have a questionable relationship with third-person camera controls.

I actually like features like this in Splatoon because it makes the world feel like it's spinning and not operating on the players time. This could definitely be improved visually, and I've always wanted to be able to explore the city outside of the main square.

It's true although there are some minor variances in different areas. Using the back ends of the chopsticks isn't consistent across the country, for example.

who cares about cars you autistic normie lol

They're right.
If Salmon Run was available 24/7, I would have burnt myself out on it and completely lost interest.

Haven't played Splatoon 2. I understand why they do the map rotation the way they did but 4 hours was ridiculous and even 2 hours is too much. Logging in when the new rotation has started and knowing you're going to be stuck with the same two maps for your entire play session sucks. The matches only last 3 minutes. It should be 1 hour rotation, tops. You're still getting quite a good amount of play on the maps on offer, but then they don't overstay their welcome and you get to move on to something fresh.

I also don't like how most of the modes are confined to ranked which is a nightmare of stress and anger. At least let me play them in casual matches somehow even if you have to rotate out turf war.

Spoiled burgers complaining.
Why should anyone care again?
Go back to talk about your ''struggle'', burgers, it's entertaining to the rest of the world.

Muh freedoms.

valve changing l4d2 modes really makes me upset
want to only play de_2fort

>You’ve probably heard Sheena Iyengar’s TED talk, in which she went to a restaurant in Japan and tried to order sugar in her green tea.

>Wow, this green tea is pretty good. It would be nice to drink this whenever I can stop by here.
>Well you can't have it any time. You can only have it when we say so.
Just say the servers can't handle it.

And yet, somehow McDonald's managed to stay incredibly popular despite doing exactly this

limiting their breakfast food was the biggest mistake of all time

>biggest mistake

That was McSpaghetti, McPizza, and McLobster

Wow fuck them

Discontinuing chicken selects was the mistake

the real mistake was the seasonal mcrib
because that's not food

I honestly agree with this sort of philosophy. It's the same sort of mindset that comes with the idea that trying to please everybody is futile; with art and media, keeping things focused is almost always a better idea. I'd much rather have a tightly designed, focused, chosen experience than an unfocused mess that doesn't know what it wants to be. Don't confuse me here, I'm not saying that open-ended games like BoTW or GTA or whatever are bad. I'm talking about games like Owlboy, which just muddle about and don't really go anywhere with anything in a satisfying way.

yet many games spun out of mods for other games, precisely as a result of no daddy telling people what to do

Imagine the opposite?

>be Japanese
>go to America
>go to first shitty fast food place in airport for a quick snack
>"YAH WATCHU WANT??"
>"ah, tea please"
>ONE ICE TEA TO GO
>get served a bottle of golden-brown liquid sugar

>minimum wage job held by probably a high schooler
>expert
Are you retarded in the head

The phone app lists the times and maps as well iirc

>you bought it
>but we made it!
and your opinion ceased to matter the second I paid for it so keep restricting access to MY game and kiss goodbye to any future purchase instead of your 'overcome resistance!' bullshit.

user, I'm not saying that some freedom is a bad thing. Modding is great, don't get me wrong. I'm saying that games need to be clear on what they offer. Let's take Half-Life, for example. Despite all sorts of games sprouting off from it, it's still very damn clear about what it is and what it wants to be. It's a tightly focused sci-fi singleplayer FPS, despite all the potential it had for alterations by the playerbase.

high school kids eat nothing but fast food trash, even if they don't work there. If they work there and eat literally every day and get to make different combinations of meats and breads and sauces and everything then yeah they they are "experts"

>not enjoying your green tea with sugar, milk, and ice

>MY game

You should read the EULA one of these days

i hope you drink garbage tea because you are a waste of tea

No, there biggest mistake was switching to all white meat mcnuggets.

the ONE thing I learned during the entirety of my international administration course besides "dude other people are human too did you know??" is that japs have a high context culture, which means they will give you signs that you are doing something wrong, but usually won't flat out say it

this is where the "japs never say no" saying comes from, as people take their silence for granted and assume everything is a-o-kay while in reality they might be trying to tell you about how much they want a spear between your eyes. Obviously that's not the case 100% of the time as people will be direct with you if they want to, but their culture is usually very tightly-knit so most of them will follow that standard

tl;dr read between the lines with japanese people

>Play game without map rotation
>99% of all maps are never ever played because the community has decided they hate every map except for 1.
>Play the same map forever and ever, any attempt to play another map results in failure as no one wants to play.

To americans, high context cultures come off as passive. Don't beat around the bush for politeness sake, tell me what the problem is or fuck off.

Germans are also a low context culture.