Oh my god! Psychonauts thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9Ftl4QqTOnM
doublefine.com/campster/Phoebe.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How is Psychonauts 2 going again?

We all know what the best level is, The Milkman Conspiracy

But what is the worst level? Hard mode: no Meat Circus

The new visuals look nice and combat looks a bit more polished. Still early footage though.

youtube.com/watch?v=9Ftl4QqTOnM

Psychonauts is a terrible platformer with awful generic level design and cringe storytelling

Lili thread

>worst level?
The humor's great in Lungfishopolis, but I missed having levitation. Made the combat feel too sluggish.

bump

I want to impregnate Milla

>The Milkman Conspiracy
I'm more of a Black Velvetopia man.

A marketing failure like the reveal has like only 100k views.

and it's still better than anything that you produced in your miserable life.

Post what your mental world looks like.

How many times is Sarky going to be thanked in the credits?

>best
>milkman
the writing and concept was on point but navigating and collecting shit was pretty confusing/lame also that door "puzzle" was the typical arbitrary shit from point and click adventure games

Well I liked it.

>Sarky

Damn

Nice buzzwords that aren't even true to Psychonauts.

>post yfw you discovered the secret room in her brain

>We're all alone now Milla

Meat Circus
2nd worst is the theater one

RAAAA-SPUUUU-TIIINNNN

do those things that fight you in the milkman level serve a purpose or were they just some miniboss

I think they were originally going to be a boss in Milla's mind, but they decided that it'd fit the story better to have the violent nightmares be a side-boss in Boyd's mind.

I thought it implied that Boyd killed those kids.

But I thought Boyd only burned the store

That is a theory some people have, but it could just be a general personification of nightmares.

BUT HEY

I think that was my favorite creepy detail in Meat Circus.

Well that and the posters saying the Galochios who cursed Raz's family are already dead.

>bought it for $10 years ago
>never touched it
>it goes up for free
shit.

>years ago
It's practically free every steam sale.

>tfw get it for free on Linux
>It keeps crashing at random spots

I bought it for like 2 fiddy and I love it to this day though I am preemptively let down by Psychonauts 2.

my main complaints with it are the low poly count on the other kids, angular eyes and stuff and the blatantly missing nightmare parts and mechanics but the setting, art style and character interaction are all top notch

Waterloo World was always my favorite.

Yeah, think the art style in general holds up great, but the campers definitely didn't get the animation effort that the other main characters have.

Glad they seemed to get better as the game goes on though.

I can never find all the fucking figments
some goddamned fairy out in the sticks I've been told

All of the figments are numbered, which makes them easier to find with a guide. And yes, most people miss an orange fairy on the outskirts.

>tfw got it for free
>tried playing it
>pretty much every sentence has an audio hiccup thanks to my computer being shit
I'm still going to play it. What controller should I use for this game anyway?

I'm used to Xbox style, but that's what I played the original version with.

to bad the earth is round and it's the dead of night over here so I gotta call it quits but anyone in this thread can consider themselfs my nigger.
Perhaps another thread another time.

I'm curious to know more about his curse in and I can't wait for those new abilities, the cloning one looks awesome!

those hips

>noooo my fanfiction

At least you didn't have to suffer through the PS2 port with a fatty model.

I tried playing it but didn't like it very much. This was before everyone was hating Tim, too. But it does make it nicer that I don't like any of that faggot's games. Nothing against Psychonauts fans.

We'll meet again.

Don't know where. Don't know when.

I love Black Velvetopia. Those popping colors, that music, and those mini-bosses were all sick. What a breath of fresh air after the stale ass wipe that was Waterloo World.

Superior taste.

My favorite bit about the curse is that it was more than just a lazy way to keep Raz from swimming, and they kept bringing it up in different mental worlds in weird ways.

Who /pokeylope/ here?

It probably had my favorite storytelling as well.

The whole idea of someone obsessing over their first heartbreak and romanticizing some high school squabble into a big tragic tale of love and betrayal is simultaneously sympathetic and hilariously over the top.

I'll be disappointed if he doesn't make a wacky cameo.

I've played Oleander's Basic Braining level atleast 15 times, I just find it so fucking boring now. Out of the first 3 levels, Milla's has the most interesting platforming and the race at the end is fast and fun. Sacha's level is interesting visually but has the bit at the beginning where you have to crank up the amount of censors, and the boss at the end isn't too fun.
After those first 3 levels and night falls pretty much every level is gold 10/10 perfect

Running the game on windows 7 x64 and I'm getting freezes randomly for just 2 or 3 seconds. Anyone know how to fix it? I turned off v-sync but I also have the game limited to 140fps in my graphics drivers so I can use freesync.

It's a shame we will never see Raz as an adult.
I feel like the game about his older adventures could be cool as fuck too.
Shame about Schafer.

Seconded. Sasha's and Milla's are basically tutorial levels too but they're a more interesting subversion of the usual straightforward obstacle course.

It might have been entertaining to see a few more mental worlds involving all of the other campers though.

I find the Milkman Conspiracy level confusing. I mean, you must get yourself a cobweb duster, if you want to get it through... Which was actually hard to achieve, unless you got yourself that tool to dig valuable arrowheads.
>After you got your shit, you'll be fine, until you look up a walkthrough on this particular level.

waterloo is the best and lungfishopolis is the worst
OBJECTIVE FACT

But Freedom...

>lungfishopolis is the worst
Not liking Goggalor.
Go away.

Freedom!

sorry buds but the walking speed drove me up the wall

Leaving Raz as a kid is fine. Maybe at the end of Psychonauts 2's Epilogue he became a word lwide Psychonauts agent and went on adventures with Lili. Just like how Agent Nein and Vodello did.

I remember reading somewhere that Schafer originally envisioned the game as a trilogy.

But I guess a lot of ideas have to be adjusted over the course of a decade.

I think the appeal about Raz is that he's incredibly talented for a 10 year old. Amazingly athlete with an amazing brain.

I read that too, but I don't think Rhombus is part of the trilogy, but if 2 doesn't do well sales wise, I think he should end on a good note, so we don't get a Psychonauts 1 ending.

The fucking play was tedious and a pain to go through. I still have no idea how I got through it without walkthroughs

oh man I forgot about the play
I change my answer

It took me up until Gloria's Theater to really appreciate how great and creative the level design in this game is. So I guess that's my favorite level.
Worst for me, is probably Basic Braining. Not cause it's bad, it's just my least favorite level of them all.

I didn't like the gameplay in Gloria's Theater but I thought it had the best storytelling of any of the patients

Yeah, I think the theater's underrated.

Cycling through the plays over and over got old when you were trying to figure out the last puzzle, but I still thought the shifting stories and idea of an ever-growing inner critic was interesting.

literally finished the game for the first time.
makes me feel guilty for getting it for free but you bet i'm gonna buy psychonauts 2 once it comes out.

just hope it doesn't get tainted by nowaday's feelfest
this game dealt with child suicide and some adult jokes, hope it stays that way in the sequel.

I think my favorite bit of behind the scenes trivia for the game is that all the words taken from Jasper's attacks in the boss battle were terms taken exclusively from reviews of the movie White Chicks.

>Child suicide
Which one was that?

The two cheerleaders who tried to kill themselves by poison. It didn't work so they tried jumping off the platform they were on. Then they somehow lost their brains, but then Raz got them back..

the cheery boy and girl who look like they're gonna go on a murder rampage.
the plot twist is that the "event" they were talking about was likely traumatizing all the children with their suicide and probably getting the camp closed.

first they drank poison but it didn't work
then they jumped off (the main lodge i think)

the girl tells you this after you re-brain her

Part of me finds it hard to imagine the running joke about the cheerleader's suicide pact being used today. But I guess giving the characters a happy ending counts for a lot.

Did you not find Agent Milla's secret room?

...Freeeduuuuum!

Pretty sure they're keeping the dark undertones anyhow, if the villains backstory in Rhombus of Ruin is anything to go by.

oh yeah, that one.
for some reason that i still don't understand i didn't find it as dark as the suicide pact

probably because children dying in an accident feels less dark to me than children going through the thought process of- AND then attempting suicide.

Is it really a curse? I was under the impression it was literally nothing but manifested fear. The fact that even when he's in dreamscapes, the exact same hands try to drag him down, and Milla's comments about it sort of indicate that there actually isn't a real curse that will drown him. Instead, he's just been so terrified of this story since birth that he refuses to go anywhere near water, and because psychic-powers, he is actually the one unconsciously creating the 'water-enemy' wherever he goes, whether it be the real world or the mental one.

>still no psychonauts discord
JUST

Clem and Crystal are the best part of those pages.

videogame logic aside, it does make alot of sense since he's always able to get away from the water

if there was really a water monster it'd kill raz once it got a steady grip of him

what about the parts where that guy gets ignored by Lili

where are these from?

doublefine.com/campster/Phoebe.htm

Guess that might depend on what actually killed his grandfather.

thank