Wich FPS will be the savior of the genre?

Wich FPS will be the savior of the genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/id-Software/Quake)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Any Doom wad

fpbp

What game?

Ion Maiden (release: 2018)

Ion Maiden for those wondering

I'm very excited for this.

Wait, you mean Ion Maiden is the Bombshell Build FPS they were hyping, and that the Duke4 community is involved in its development? I mean, I thought Hendricks was working on it.

Ion Maiden is the official name of the Bombshell prequel. So yes, the OP game is Ion Maiden.

There will never be a new revolutionary fps
Any fps now will either be online only and die in a few months or the campaign won't have any depth to it line most dudebro shit

Is it multiplatform?

As far as I'm aware it's only on PC.

So what's the status on these? Soon? Or soon™?

Yes along with Overload
this is looking good for a """roguelike""" memegame from what i've seen it has a solid foundation in it's movement/enemies/weapon feedback

Holy shit, is that overload?

how does it compare to the demo? Release data when?

diabotical

I really don't see the point of making a commercial game on such an old engine. This is stupid, old engines are terribly optimized. It wouldn't be hard to make something prettier with better performances.

Gibhard looks great, but it's procedural generation, so it's shit.

Left screenshot is a level that came out in 2017, on a recently updated engine. How does it feel to be a liar?
Not saying dusk doesn't look like shit but still.

>old engines are terribly optimized

I want to make an FPS game like Doom, but in Medieval times with swords and armor and shit.
But not like Hexen/Heretic

How would I make a game like that to sell? Unity? I want literally ID Tech 1 type engine.

>But not like Hexen/Heretic
Like what, then?

Go to your Arena general thread, degenerate

Ion Maiden is powered by Eduke32, an engine wich is being developed at present day. Also,

>old engines are terribly optimized. It wouldn't be hard to make something prettier with better performances.

Wot

Use some sourceport of Doom, then.

what did he mean by this

If you knew anything about game development you would understand what. Old engines didn't had compute/geometry shader capabilities so the culling had to be done on the CPU. Nowadays this is done on GPU from the depth buffer. Engines like goldsrc or Quake 3 even manages all single triangles in the scene on the CPU, I don't think I have to explain how retarded that seems today. New engines are made with the limitations and possibilities of modern GPU in mind. I don't think you care about learning stuff so I'm just going to stop posting.

You still worded your statement terribly, saying that they were poorly optimized means they didn't make efficient use of the resources they had. Nevertheless, we're talking about shit that ran on pentiums, the performance gains to be had would be barely noticeable on modern hardware and the entire point of using an old engine is to make it look like an old game, if they wanted prettier they would use any of the modern 3D engines available for licensing.

Fuck Doom. Build it off Quake's engine instead (whose source code has been released, github.com/id-Software/Quake) and you'll have innumerable engine features and abilities straight out of the box instead of relying on thirty different kludged-together source ports and custom languages that Doom mods rely on.

The fact people are trying to do so much with an engine that can't even fucking draw two floors over each other without using port-specific hacks instead of just moving on to brush based mapping with proper C powering everything under the hood is ridiculous.

Besides, software Build's shading still looks more photorealistic and pictoresque than its hardware accelerated implementations.

Also classic Build was optimization: the engine. Ken Silverman wrote a 80k asm file worth of x86 optimizations for various features, and was so complex third parties needed the slowball C translation for console ports.

Ok, fair enough. I played lots of recent Doom WADs that ran like shit on my modern computer, that's why I'm a bit nitpicky. They look like shit but they're more demanding than fucking Crysis.

Still, it's stupid to use an old engine on a modern game. They're just being lazy. For the same look than before we could have absolutely gigantic maps with ton of details, no loading, hundreds of thousands of ennemies and particles. But because they're using the same engine we're basically limited to the same stuff than we had before, only with slightly more polygons and pixels.
It's not like it's hard to reproduce the look of old engines.

High polycount and old engines doesn't fare well. I'm positive OP screen won't run smoothly on all configurations (if they're using the same engine build that is). That's kind of a shame for a game that looks like it came out 20 years ago, isn't it?

>It's not like it's hard to reproduce the look of old engines.
It apparently is because FUCKING NOBODY DOES IT PROPERLY. Strafe, DUSK, whatever, they all look like hot fucking garbage in comparison to actual id tech 2.