Anyone else still feel like Zelda 1 stands tall among the other Zelda games today...

Anyone else still feel like Zelda 1 stands tall among the other Zelda games today, and no game since has managed to capture its sense of mystery or adventure?

Other urls found in this thread:

nintendo.co.jp/clv/manuals/en/pdf/CLV-P-NAANE.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Of course people love Zelda 1.

>bomb every wall and burn every bush or else you won't finish the game
wow fun
adventure of link is miles better

>bomb random shit with no clues
so this is mystery and adventure. w-whoa...

LTTP is the gold standard.

they're both outdate garbage grandpa

Dude, don't forget simply walking through the fake walls.

First Zelda is pretty great, even BotW doesn't manage to capture the idea of being completely set loose in the open world like the first one does.

It would be 100x better if the game give you actual tips so you don't waste your life away bombing/buring everything in sight or just walking around with no clue on where to go next.

The standards and tech of the time meant that excessive amounts of detail would be impractical and unexpected, while it is the standard now. Making a game on its tier needs to build up from it to be considered a worthy successor, and doing so is rather difficult considering the sheer size of a world you would need to make and then fill with details. Games are also expected to be much more dense in stuff being there than in real life, where there are large patches of plain grassland and forest all over.
BoTW made a good effort but was missing in some areas and could've had better balanced gameplay.

Adventure of Link has the bullshit spell spell, so no.

Its really easy to tell who played it with the manual and map and piratefags who just emulated.

>Dude, don't forget simply walking through the fake walls.
This is only the second quest
The only bushes you need to burn are obvious, there are obscure ones, but those are secrets.

It was new when I was about 11 or so. About the same time I used to explore my neighborhood, finding all sorts of weird interesting places. That's what the game reminded me of. Sushi Yomjirobi or whatever his name is said he used to do the same thing in his childhood neighborhood, and he intenionally tried to put that feeling into the game. I think he succeeded marvelously, especially for the time.

I'd say that's the biggest problem with it. Same thing with Metroid.
You could find the location of the secrets in magazines or from other people though.
>adventure of link is miles better
Literally kys.
Probably my favorite Zelda but I hate how linear it is.

I would kill for a game that properly translated Zelda 1 to more modern standards. Be that as something that played like LttP or OoT I don't care.

All I know is BotW was not it. It was a fun game to explore around in but Zelda 1 was a succinct experience. BotW is the farthest thing from.

Open and short. I just want one open and fucking short dungeon/maze crawler before I God damned die of old age.

It's doesn't have to be linear you can do the first three dungeons out of order and you can do the dark world dungeons out of order

The Master System Golden Axe game was alot like that.

>just walking around with no clue on where to go next.
THIS it needs a quest pointer arrow like in Skyrim so I know exactly which direction to go without having to read a single word

just imagine if they made a 1:1 zelda remake in the BotW engine

Or they can just give you directions like morrowind

As someone who first played it this year, absolutely. I did happen to find Level-8 by accident though, so I wonder if I'd feel differently it that hadn't happened.

FUCK Level-6 though.

>I hate how linear it is.
Only the Light world dungeons have to be done in order, ALTTP is one of the few Zelda where you can do dungeons out of order, do sidequests earlier than they are supposed to be done, and has the majority of the world open as soon as you exit Sanctuary.

BotW feels like a remake of it to me.

Or the NPC's could just give hints or tips like any other game you fucking retard. At least the map could not be a grey box

VERY few games manage to recreate this feeling.
It probably vary a lot from person to person.
For me, Deus Ex did it for some reason. It wasn't really "open world" or anything but you could explore and interesting stuff happened that changed the game. I was motivated to explore to figure out what the hell was going on. To be a few steps ahead of the shit that was to come.
Fallout 1/2 also did it a bit, but it felt more "abstracted out". I don't know how to explain it.
Many people say Dark Soul did it for them.

It was pretty lovecraftian.

Or bought it secondhand, or just didn't read the manual because who the fuck reads manuals.

>map
good games don't have maps

I felt the same way playing Wind Waker, honestly.

Helps that I purposefully avoided all magazine strategy guides. It was the first Zelda I played and beat on my own.

yea botw totally nails the varied dungeons and bosses...

Everyone read manuals back in the day. They were full of artwork and lore.

>I did happen to find Level-8 by accident though
you're kind of supposed to
it's the most obvious bush to burn
I remember finding it as a kid when I should be at like level 2 and anticipating when I'd be able to get there and beat it

I can't finish Level 9. I keep getting raped by Wizzrobe spam.

Super Metroid has a map and that's better than Zelda in every way.

Yeah but you have to go get the items in other dungeons to beat some of them.
So you can just "half beat" them out of order. Maybe there's some flexibility on top of that, I don't remember, but it's not quite the same thing. I wish they would have hidden the important items in the world as part of side quests.

the legend of zelda, a link to the past, and link's awakening are the best games

I played this game when i was 7 years old and completed it.
wtf are you talking about

Whoa, a game having the GALL to put in actual secrets.

>link's awakening
It's great but I hated how artificial obstacles in the map felt.

The dungeons you have a point, but most of the bosses in LoZ have an equivalent in BoTW. BoTW absolutely feels like a modern take on LoZ, even if it's not a scene for scene remake.

I played all the Zeldas last year for the first time, while I agree that the first game does feels different, I don't find it particulary "magical" or even "mysterious", just a bit crypt.
In my opinion the sequels like ALttP, Ocarina, Majora and others were more magical and had more engaging level design, certainly not as crypt, but stil more fun.

If they make another BotW with real dungeons it'd be the perfect Zelda.

I did too but that doesn't mean anything.

There's nothing varied about the dungeons in LoZ, it recycles the same exact rooms dozens and dozens of times across the game.

that's awesome.Not a full on spoiler but also not too obtuse.
Is it OC or is there a webpage for stuff like this in other games?

Patently false. The only locations NEEDED to bomb, burn, or otherwise were Levels 7-9. Level 7 had a hint in game, plus it was a spring, right next to another spring with a fairy, that had no fairy. DUR. Level 8 was hidden by a tree you'd burn anyways for being in your fucking way. DUR. Level 9 had hints in the manual AND in-game as to where it was, PLUS it was found by bombing an EXCEEDINGLY obvious stone formation. DUR.
The only time it got hard was in the second quest, which was the point.

>doesn't even have the full map
downright devious
wish you could keep map squares from getting revealed in PureZC, would make for
a cool mechanic

it is literally the map included in the box

nintendo.co.jp/clv/manuals/en/pdf/CLV-P-NAANE.pdf

>wandering around map looking for next place to go
>stuck with same music loop forever

1 and 2 are the best games in the series as far as I'm concerned. BotW MIGHT equal them. The 90s Zeldas were also cool to a lesser extent, but I always preferred the NES ones over everything else until BotW came along.

>The Palace of Darkness, the first dark world dungeon, must be done first to get the hammer
>The Ice Palace(5th) and Misery Mire(6th) both require you to have the Titan Mitts from Thievestown(4th)
>Turtle Rock(7th) require both the the Titan Mitts and the Fire Rod from Skull Woods(3rd)
The rest of the order is up to you, so if you want to go say 1>3>2>4>6>5>7 or 1>4>6>3>7>2>5 then you could

but that's what was cool about it. it was lame how in ALttP, all bombable walls were made obvious with LOOK HERE THERE"S A CRACK IN THE WALL. All of the mystery disappears. In Zelda 1 there was the feeling that a secret could be anywhere

Just like a monkey can beat you on a quick memorization game.You had more time back then,less things to worry about,etc.
I know cartridges back then didn't had space for length explanations by NPCs and that's why they made manuals but we have higher standards nowadays

And that's a good example of why everyone read manuals back in the day. It was part of the experience.

well you cant judge a 30 year old game on todays exapmples can you.
LoZ was an amazing and pioneering game in the 80's

This is the point, why the fuck would a lot of secrets have obvious clues? I hate it when a game world is tailored to the player, its more fun and mysterious when its not there FOR YOU and you are just plunging into its depths and uncovering its secrets on your own

>Majora has best atmosphere
>WW has the best artsyle
>LttP set the standards for 2D zelda
>LbO is perfected it
>Ocarina is the most ground breaking
>Majora is the best game
there,those are the essential zeldacore.
Any other game in-between is just feeler or if you really want to know the whole Zelda experience

>Faggots in this thread are offended by an NES game having actual SECRETS that they need to figure out themselves

Kill yourselves, you wastes of flesh.

I love the shit out of this game, but I honestly can only bring myself to play it with a radomizer.

Zelda 1 had a busted map, so your argument falls flat.

>create a game with a 4000000 by 4000000 squares of nothing but rock and sandy wasteland
>hid a dildo under one of these rocks
>you are a casual if you can't find this SECRET XDDD
Fuck off nigger
If you are so good,go find those still hidden secrets in the original DMC or discover that mario 64 1000 bucks glitch

This is kinda addressed in Ancient Stone Tablets, for dungeons, they cracks weren't usually there but sometimes the hidden rooms would show up on your map, and in the overworld they are pretty obvious with cracks but each hidden cave tends to have an additional puzzle to make up for the ease of finding it.

>game that literally nobody in the history of human life has EVER beaten without a guide or some form of outside help and anyone who says otherwise is clearly remembering wrong or just lying
>still stands tall
It was revolutionary, it's still fun to mess around in, still fun to beat with a guide, but jesus christ can we stop this meme.

nu-gamers were a mistake

>who the fuck reads manuals.
underage detected

I do think the way it handled discovering dungeons was by far the best. In all the other games, they pretty much signpost the dungeons to you. Even BotW, for how much people talk about it being like LoZ, shoves the divine beasts in your face. It'd be nice to go back to the LoZ style of having to find all the dungeons yourself, as well as sometimes having to perform specific actions/tasks to uncover them (with some riddles to give you hints). Except the dungeons themselves would have the production values and content variety of later games.

Also I think games (in general) don't really put much thought into their mapping system. They just give you an automap or a map dispenser. Having to draw a map in LoZ (or memorize all the landmarks) was a pain in the ass but it made you appreciate its world more, almost every screen was burned into your brain. It helps that it was relatively condensed, a lot of Zelda games have huge maps for no reason except to show off, they don't even have enough real content so they shove the world full of filler. I'm not exactly sure how a modern Zelda could bring back a map-making system, Etrian Odyssey has great mapmaking but it's tile by tile in a 2D landscape and wouldn't really work for Zelda. In any case, games need to force players to focus on the landscapes and world design, too many are essentially walking simulators with a bunch of empty space sprinkled with designated pieces of content.

do you consider the printed materials that came inside the box as outside help?

brainlet detected
I beat it on a NES without having the instruction manual or any outside help except being shown how you can blow on the ports to clear them of dust.

Yeah because we all know modern games don't reuse assets to save time and money.

The overworld theme is fucking amazing though.

>most of the bosses in LoZ have an equivalent in BoTW

What? No they don't.

Yes of course, games are supposed to teach you within the game itself thats game design 101. People who say "it was fine with manual" are just proving me right

I like how they called level 3 Manji as if kids in the 80s with no internet had any idea what the fuck a manji looked like.

BotW is full of rehashed assets.

>getting two extra heart containers so you could get the white sword before even starting level 1
so good

>games are supposed to teach you within the game itself
egoraptor, pls
they had limited resources and there was no real roadmap of how to do this so a manual was the best option they could think of at the time

>what is an encyclopedia

>wow fun

That wasn't required. But I did it anyways, it was super fun. I also hand drew a detailed map of the overworld, and marked the location of every single secret.

yeah as i said, it was revolutionary for the time. AND its still just fun to play with a guide, its a great game but i cannot stand people who act like its better designed than games today.
also
>i instantly relate the most fundamental aspect of good game design with a popular e-celeb video
you just outed yourself as a brainlet my guy

ik you are obviously young but games in those days came with thick in depth manuals. thay also had massive space of blank notebook paper at the back for your own notes.
As a kid I used to read manuals cover to cover before even playing the game and I still have the tradition now in games where I always go to the options before playing

if there's one thing this thread teaches you underage autists its to always READ THE FUCKING MANUAL

anything substantial should have cryptic puzzles at worst, the only things that should be completely chance based are easter eggs at most.

I stand corrected and I still can't believe they got away with using as backwards swastika as a level map design. (Yes I'm aware of its origins.) If they did that today social media retards would have a fit.

AoL needs a remake or spiritual successor.

Zelda 1 has aged fucking horribly

again if you actually read my posts before replying you'd know that i already said the game was revolutionary for its time. but now we don't need to read books on how to play our video games. its design has aged and anyone who thinks it stands up to modern day standards is either nostalgia goggles to the max or straight retarded. you are allowed to say "i think its more fun/enjoy it more than botw" but please do not say "its better designed than botw"

Zelda is gaming 101. Untill you appreciate LoZ, you cant understand game design

>That wasn't required.

Yes it was.

There are bomb walls in the later dungeons that aren't signified by using gaps in the map like you can in later dungeons.

Look at this clusterfuck. The only one you can argue is hinted at is the two that creates a passage between two rows of blocks (row 3, column 6).

Everything else is impossible to find without testing every single wall, since the map fills the grid and there are stairs warping you all over the place. There are no obvious "gaps" in the map that suggest there's a bomb wall leading there.

Not him but it IS better designed than BotW.

>If they did that today social media retards would have a fit.
pretty sure condemning a religious symbol is more sjw fuel that using the symbol of peace in a vidya.
if you are aware of it's origin you would be aware of it's popularity and common worldwide usage before the nazis copied it for their symbol

Forgot my image.

>>That wasn't required.

>Yes it was.

No it wasn't.

People like you are the reason every game starts with a 20 minute cutscene to explain the story and 30 minute tutorial.

Disprove my logic and explain how you were able to divine the locations of the dungeon 9 walls then. Go ahead.

idk been 25 years since I played the game but it got me into the series and I have been a lifelong fan since.
still I would prefer games to have manuals now and I would definatly prefer a manual over what we have now, entire forced tutorials and tool tips at every location.

shit when i was a kid I played some complex af games that you really couldnt play without a manual, and I tried play games that I needed a manual for but didn't have one.

Clearly the game was impossible. If only they gave you hints that you needed to burn down the tree at the dead end to enter Level 8.

>copy and pasted Mario enemy with slight recolor
>kino

Yeah, gotta love that shitty 'poke awkwardly 2 pixels in front of you' combat.