Of all the available versions, which one is the best? I hear the PS version has FMVs which sounds pretty cool

Of all the available versions, which one is the best? I hear the PS version has FMVs which sounds pretty cool.

DS.

Has the ps1 extras without bad loading times and a new dungeon, final boss and ending that leads into chrono cross. And if none of that interests you then the base game is perfectly fine too.

>b-b-b-but muh writing!

They added a boss that wasn't present in the original version and that leads in to the the sequel? Why wasn't that present in the original?

The sequel wasn't imagined until years later and it was written by completely different people and retconned tons of shit.

That sounds like an unfortunate sequel.

Because... that's what happens when you try to make a sequel making up shit without thinking, in a world totally diferent than the original, leaving plots behind while making the said sequel leaving characters with no plot at all(sup totally not Magus), and then like 10 years later of that sequel you try to link the original game with new plot that tries to link to that sequel.
Confusing? Yeah. In short, they never thought of Time Devours when making the original game.

Yeah, and then the DS version of Chrono Trigger added shit to one of its endings to better fit that sequel.

Well I already started the snes version when I found out there were other versions available, and the changes don't sound like enough to warrant starting over. Is there any reference to when the FMVs play in the updated versions so I could go watch them at those points in the snes version? Don't want to watch ahead by mistake and catch a spoiler.

Unfortunate sequel, but still a fantastic game. It's kind of a weird situation where it's definitely better to play Chrono Trigger before Chrono Trigger before Chrono Cross because there are definitely things you will miss otherwise, but as a sequel it will disappoint you. But if you can turn off the part of your brain expecting a true sequel to Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross is one of the best PS1 RPGs

Does the sequel still have Lucca? She's my waifu right now.

I prefer the SNES version. The FMVs were cool, but PS port was awful.

DS version is all right, worth playing if you want, but personally I didn't feel the re-translation and extra content really brought that much you wouldn't get from playing the SNES version for your first time anyway.

Doesn't help that I'm not a fan of Chrono Cross either.

fpbp

Why the hell doesn't this game have a proper sequel?

This.

Finish the SNES version. Google "Dream Devourer" either read what is that, or watch it.
The extra dungeons aren't good. One of them is just doing missions for a village and they are about climbing a mountain which is boring as hell.
The other dungeon is about that Time or Dream Devourer. Only opens after finishing the game once

Also, Chrono Trigger is also one of those games you can replay years later and enjoy it, so you can always try the DS version later if you really want.

It wasn't completely different people. Chrono trigger was made by the dream team of horii, sakaguchi, toriyama, aoki, and uematsu, but they had more talent that isn't as well known. Masato kato helped with a lot of scenario work in CT, and is specifically credited for all of the sections in the kingdom of zeal. He is also responsible for chrono cross's story.

The ds or SNES versions are fine but do not play the ps1 version of chrono trigger

Also, about the PS version: in the Japanese PS port they just dump the ROM of chrono trigger neatly into the playstation ram and emulate it there. It runs well. For the international releases though, they really fucked up; instead of just doing the same thing and dumping the straight English rom, the NA version is still emulating the Japanese ROM. Any time text appears on screen, the game lags. This is because an interpreter is replacing Japanese text with its English counterparts in real time and it is awful

>Does the sequel still have Lucca? She's my waifu right now.

Nope. The Trigger cast is killed between games.

it's hardly a fucking sequel.

Chrono Cross was actually made by the same core group that made both Chrono Trigger and Xenogears and is now Monolith Software. You’re thinking of Yuji Hori and Sakaguchi and of course Akira Toriyama. Toriyama obviously made the art but the other two barely had anything to do with it other than attach their names for the “dream team”

Thanks for spoiling it for me user...

it's mentioned in passing in Cross and Cross does everything possible to ruin the happy ending from Trigger for some retarded reason.

SNES Emulator on a big TV screen with scanline filter
No that's wrong, the text is barely readable on a DS even with the additional content it's not worth to play that version because of such a huge flaw.

Should thank him for stopping you from playing the horseshit game. Let me add that it not only ruined CT cast, but Radical Dreamer cast as well.

>Ruined

Improved, in my opinion.

>but Radical Dreamer cast as well.

that game was relevant? A game that never came out here?

Killing =/= improving

>He actually wants ugly scanlines

user there's a reason we improved our Televisions. Are you really that unhappy with your life that you have to go out of your way to make something look worse to scrape at some nostalgia?

Chrono Cross is the Twin Peaks Season 3 of JRPGs.

It took a beloved name that was popular with general audiences and redesigned it to exclusively appeal to art critics. Its certainly a beautiful and intelligent game, and many will argue that its better than the original; but its not the sequel that fans of the original wanted.

>Killing =/= improving
What's wrong with killing one of the most overrated casts from that era of video games?

>Its certainly a beautiful and intelligent game, and many will argue that its better than the original; but its not the sequel that fans of the original wanted.

like MGS2?

>Improved

Subjective, most older games look like ass on HD televisions, they look better and more authentic with scaline filters