What are some franchisees where everyone secretly thinks the first installment is garbage...

What are some franchisees where everyone secretly thinks the first installment is garbage, but is scared to admit for fear of being called a millennial/NuMale?

It might be garbage now but at the time it was fun and different.

Yakuza 1

>its a "gen1 was bad because it had bugs' episode

The game design of gen 1-3 was still better then anything we've gotten since, get over it.

Gen 1 is obsolete today but back during the initial explosion it was all people had, nostalgia is also one hell of a drug

Gen 4 and 5 were peak Pokemon. Gen 1 was 2nd worst after 7

You're forgetting to post the updated version.

A lot of franchisees in their thirties especially are like this.
Super Mario Bros 1 is insanely repetitive and tedious (3 and especially 2 are wonderful)
Metroid 1 is a complete cluster fuck
The first Kirby didn't even have fucking copy
Starfox SNES is pretty much unplayable and if we're honest with ourselves no one is excited for Starfox 2

Monster Hunter, the first one. And to an extent, its final 2nd gen. revision, Freedom Unite.

it's a game about collecting bugs. who cares?

Gen 4-5 is still universally panned for being the worst generations
>inb4 "muh remakes"

The bugs are the least of the problems
>But level design!
Thirsty cop says hi.

Zelda 1, you literally needed a guide to know what to do and where to go

Only nineties kids think that

Nope

It's hip to hate on Gen 1 though see

That's a lot of NES games, though. Zelda 1 has the distinct advantage of being the first open world game, and one of the best. A remake with better hints would make the game way better.

You didn't need a guide, games back then were designed for maximum playtime because they were designed as distracting toys.

Hating the originals is what's hot now tho. Get with the times. It's more common to be called a nostalgiafag for liking old things.

is there one for gen 2 cause fuck gen 2

Wrong.

>You could evolve Pokemon that would normally require a evolutionary stone for it by having them level up in a trainer battle, and by finishing the battle with a Pokemon with its internal number matching the internal number of the required stone
So THAT'S why my brother's Pikachu randomly evolved into Raichu on its own.

>actually defending gen 3
What went wrong, lads? I thought Johtoddlers were fucking annoying for grouping themselves up with us.

What's wrong with gen 2?

If anything I really liked it cuz it fixed a lot of dumb stuff like the bag, multi turn moves, and a lot of the other glitches mentioned in the OP

Johto is gen 2 though?

If we're going to have to do this anyway
5 > 4 > 7 > 2 > 3 > 1 > 6

Every single one made after the gen1 one are terrible since they have mostly opinions of the retard who made them.

this just makes me want to play these old games more. Like, with this in mind I can break the game and steam roll easily. the games are better because of these lists

More memesters seem to hate Gen 1 and can't criticize their own Generations (because they're underaged homos)

But Gen 1 is shit

The elder scrolls... Kinda.

>My nostalgia gen is good because gen 1 sux

Nice argument.

That's nice now list the flaws of your favorite Gen.

I mean your nitpicking bugs in a game that is over 20 fucking years old.
The game was great for its time period, you fucking retards. Of course it doesn't hold up to new Pokemon standards that have been tuned over the last 20+ YEARS.
>gen1 suckey
no shit you'd think that because you didn't play it when it was hottest shit ever. you're literally underage or you else you simply skipped the first game.

shall i pull out fucking Pong and complain about it's lack of a story?

dont be a reatard, even for the time the game was clearly lacking polish, it was underdeveloped, glitchy and it looked like shit

found the first underage faggot who didn't play it.
DUDE, pokemon red and blue were THE SHIT. Everyone was playing it. It's a great game. And it looked just fine for the time period.
I remember normal kids drawing squirtle and charmander every day in first grade.

Sure

>Gen 5
>dude let's rehash gen 1 and make our own fucking geodude and zubat clones
>two rivals with a shit fighting theme
>the fucking champion has a shit fighting theme
>gym leaders stopped using more mons
>their newest shillmon is a fucking event-only and obscure to get
>the neat low hp beeping theme becomes annoying when you are listening to good shit
>weather meme teams if I want to play this shit competitively
>the shitmon monkey trio
>disappointing last evos for the starters

>And it looked just fine

yeah, here's another game from the same era that was also great.
turns out the visuals were good enough for a portable device at the time.

can't believe you fucking kids are complaining about graphics in a game 20+ years old.
this is nu-Sup Forums

theres a difference between a game looking simple, like the one in your screenshot, and a game looking like shit

It's actually just /vp/ bleeding over, we have threads like this over there all the damn time.

The way Gen 1 fags are overreacting in the thread says a lot.

What's so wrong about admitting the flaws of the earliest games, especially when subsequent sequels or the Fire Red/Leaf Green remakes fixed so many of their problems?

the reason it had so many of those bugs was because they were trying to fit as many game mechanics as they could on less data than the filesize of those images. shit was pretty genius

you're right the game is fucking trash. no one played it because it looks like a heaping pile of shit. the models were so bad that the foolish parents who bought the game for their children refunded their copies the next day.
pocket monsters is a dead franchise and I'm glad it never took off.
generation 1/1 fucking blows and it wuza bad graphics

>but is scared to admit for fear of being called a millennial/NuMale
Grow a spine, you millennial Numale cuck.

None of that shit actually mattered. Most of it wasn't even noticeable ingame.

Level scaling and empty kanto cover 90% of it

>pointing out problems = hate
I know this is an odd thing to say in a pokemon thread but you should grow up. Also, plenty of people who don't like RBY still like FRLF, so those who don't like RBY can still like Gen 1.

>say 1 good thing about gen 1 or gen 1 pokemon
>FUCKING NOSTALGIAKEK GENWUNNER KYS

kill my self

>I missed out on pokemania, and didn't get to enjoy pokemon when it was hot
Look, gen 1 is flawed but thats like looking back at equipment ten years ago shitting on by todays standards. Its retarded.

Metroid 1 on the NES. The fanbase as a collective entity sort of saves itself by liking Super more. So Metroid 1 is not on as high a pedestal.

Black and White 2 were fucking phenomenal though. Yeah, Diamond and Pearl's pacing was shit and though Platinum was a band-aid solution that shouldn't have needed to exist in the first place, it was still a damn good game. Gen 2 was my all time favorite but I legitimately cannot stand Gen 1. Everything just looks ugly

>The way Gen 1 fags are overreacting in the thread says a lot.

Overreaction always happens whenever someone says anything negative about the GBC Pokemon games. People attached to old kids games get easily flustered. What a shock.

B/W were good. New dex only made the games feel fresh.

I really did like Gen I despite its issues. It's probably not the best choice for playing competitively, but it's nice that virtually any setup you can conceive can be made viable enough for the Elite Four. Gen II went and tweaked stats and learnlists so much that the game could easily come to a screeching halt if you aren't using precise strategies against the gym leaders.

I couldn't care less about Gen III and onward. Although FireRed and LeafGreen were great.

>OBSESSED
If I didn't know any better I would say the people that started playing after gen 3 can't shut up about how they hate gen 1. I literally seem more contarian circlejerking and strawmanning than to justify the hate than I do actual genwunners. Occasionaly, rarely, on /vp/ someone will cough at the idea that they aren't fond of some new pokemon and you lads fucking freak out.

>pokefags getting mad even though we have pic related
It's an old game with many bugs. Stop being mad that people don't like it in retrospect and when we have pic related.

I'm drunk, please excuse my spelling

Can you please post without making projections and using buzzwords everywhere?

>haha the game is bad because of a bunch of unnoticeable bugs and game mechanics I don't like! xD

kindly fuck off.

>unironically using the phrase "nu male"
>implying Millennials aren't the age group that started with Gen 1

>people who prefer gen 1 keep getting pandered to in merchandise and remakes
>they still have a victim complex when people like the other generations more

Also

I like Gen 2 the best.

Bugs in multiplayer battle rpg that affect the battles is shitty, though.

It's one thing if the something can happen on the overworld map. It's another thing if an attack or move you can make in the core mechanics of the game fucks up and backfires because of bad coding. It's also not so pretty if it, among other things, contributes to an overall unbalanced mess in the core gameplay that could have been tweaked. The Pokemon craze was high, but even then I remember plenty of kids feeling frustrated over the mechanics in battle.

But that's how you point out a bad game. Your problem, faggot?

>I can't counter what you're saying, the post.

Most of us do. We had a poll the other day and gen 2 won by a large margin. It's the most popular here.

pic related
>no story
>shit graphics
>same levels
>no leveling system
>no multiplayer
>no loot
>no crafting elements
>pay 25 cent microtransaction each game over

what a completely shit game. how did people even play this fucking dumpster trash? were people just that retarded back then??????

>tfw not a single challenging npc trainer since gen 3

Gen 1's still fun to play. It's a mess in a lot of ways, but the thing is, the basic mechanics of running around, putting a team of 6 fuckers together, and stopping some gang while you aim to become the Champion was laid down well enough to be basically unchanged until S&M, and you can argue that it still hasn't really changed.
the battle mechanics have been fixed up drastically, and there are some utterly awful design decisions that aren't outright bugs (HMs are undeletable until Yellow, move typing is fucked so you end up with shit like the only Dragon-type move being the fixed damage Dragon Rage, gen 1 sleep and freeze), but the overall structure and progression of the games hasn't changed one bit for decades

also, part of me wishes Hyper Beam's no-recharge on KO mechanic remained in some way, as busted as it was
probably the best glitch mechanic
speed crits are also probably a bad mechanic, but I still kind of wish they remained in some way too

to be fair, gen 2 fixes just about everything on the list

mate, most of those bugs are just shit like a compare being off by one, not bounds checking, or a flag being ignored because of a missing jump
in short, they're pure logic errors, rather than some kind of optimization

also, R/B/Y are on 1MB ROMs, which is bigger than both of those images combined

the stage art in your picture looks fine and done competently
the art for a bunch of the Pokemon in R/B is awful -- although a lot are totally fine, some are awful (Pikachu, Machop and Machamp, Rhydon, Porygon, Omastar, I could keep going)
Yellow fixed just about all of them, and G/S/C has excellent spritework (Gold got better sprites than Silver).

in 1996, most of these would be fucking embarrassing, let alone in 1998 when it came out in the US and they had two years to fix them
the Game Boy was over six fucking years old when R/G released in Japan, actual competence with the platform was expected

Gen 1 was bad, but everything after it was completely unnecessary.

>also, part of me wishes Hyper Beam's no-recharge on KO mechanic remained in some way, as busted as it was
this was good and i miss it

>the battle mechanics have been fixed up drastically,
whoops, that bit wasn't supposed to be there still
oh well

I'm not afraid to admit it, pokemon is fucking garbage, still have tons of nostalgia over gen 1 though

>it's a people complain about balance instead of playing to win episode

protip that's called being a fucking scrub

the balance sucks because if you play to win, there are the same dozen Pokemon on every team always, and certain Pokemon that are basically NEVER not on a team like Chansey, Tauros and Snorlax (unless that person's retarded/trying to be unique, and therefore retarded)
the movesets also almost never change due to Gen 1's small-ass and kind of shit movepool

if a game is boring when played at high level, there's no reason to bother playing it at high level

Fun fact : Anybody playing fucking pokemon gen 1 at high level is retarded in the first place

Anybody playing any gen at a high level is retarded. Pokemon will always be an unbalanced mess.

depends
sure, it's largely a coinflip/diceroll filled mess that hinges way too much on luck, but any sort of collectible battling game (whether it be Pokemon or some trading card game) tends to be just that

>speed crits are also probably a bad mechanic

While this was absolutely terrible, I miss it just because of how viable Persian was in Stadium thanks to this. Give that fucker Slash and Bubblebeam and you only had to worry about Gengar ruining yo day.

You don't point out a bad game by listing a bunch of minor bugs that almost everyone doesn't notice on a normal playthrough you retard.

Why don't nugenners understand that we don't give a shit about a bunch of stupid bugs and little balance issues that only the tiny, autistic competitive community would ever even notice? Sure, the bugfixes and some of the minor gameplay additions were good, no one denies that (except for natures, that shit is just annoying)

We like Gen 1 because the designs were the best (Hurr, >mr mime and jinx.jpg), it was original at the time, and newer games have barely changed the formula of the single player experience (Sun and Moon actually did change up a lot, to their credit) since the 90's.

I don't know what you're talking about. I never noticed any of the things in this list because I was 10 and was more concerned about evolving my haunter than whether or not ghost moves were super effective against psychic.

I played with friends. Rarely did we ever battle, and when we did it was just for fun, no one was ever serious about it. We mostly just liked showing off our teams.

I feel like the only people that don't like gen 1 weren't kids when it came out, and their first Pokémon game was Silver or even Sapphire. Yeah a lot of it is nostalgia, but it was an amazing game when it came out and everyone loved. Only an autist would look at the numbers in the Op and complain about it. Most kids wouldn't pay attention to that level of detail

Magneton, Magmar and Muk look like shit but the rest are fine

but i genuinely hate modern pokemon

Shieeet.

of the ones that'd matter to kids:
>freeze doesn't unfreeze ever without a fire move/haze (glhf if you're out of ice heal or full heals)
>focus energy is actually useless (kid would get pissed if they deleted a move for it)
>enemies don't lose PP (massively annoying)
>doing nothing after waking up from sleep sucks completely
>Wrap and the lot are fucking obnoxious

it's not even a tenth of the list, but it's still a fair few fucking annoying things that a kid would actually get pissed over

>some autist actually took the time to find and make these diagrams to point out all the little flaws from a casual kid's game from 1994 and autists are STILL buttmad over it 20+ years later

It's fucking Pokemon, chill you fucking retards

This
I think fire red and leaf green are really underated.
Mainly because of 2gen babys

HG and SS didnt manege to fix all the problems with the original games and the post game was shit.

Meanwhile FR and LG manege to fix everything in OP pic and adda bunch of new content.

For me is the best remake and we dont talk about ORAS

not when retards like you exist

XY is a million times worse than Gen 7 holy shit how can you be this contrarian

because is literally the zelda cicle.
people now are saying that Diamond and Pearl are Ok game

Sleep and confusion were shit moves, for sure. Confusion still is a shit move, probably the worst mechanic in the entire game series.

Frozen is such a rare condition. What even causes that? Like a 5% chance when Blizzard is cast, and like a 2% chance when ice beam is cast?

Also yeah there were plenty of useless moves.

>2gen babys
You are still playing and fighting over fucking Pokemon.
You have no right to call someone else baby.

>I'm the retard for not taking a 24 year old game for literal children, seriously
Pokemon is the most basic entry level game in existence, why do you give a fuck? That's like studying the lore of Plants vs. Zombies except even more pathetic

t. 2nd gen baby

You realize people's opinions don't change, it's just different people having different opinions?

This "Zelda cycle" logic is the dumbest fucking meme ever perpetuated and it's perpetuated by autists who study trends on Sup Forums like the autists they are.

End your life my dude

>designs were the best

A third of the dex looks like DBZ rejects

What? Gen 4 was the best.

Seriously. Every Pokemon game is the same. If you like it you like it. There is no cycle