What games had the best TECHNOLOGY for their time?

What games had the best TECHNOLOGY for their time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SGOj3Ugq6B0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_inverse_square_root
youtube.com/watch?v=NPWi5yJK3zo
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDmcwfn8y0lMtlqcpUhggk0FB1EC2i3iB
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The Phantom Pain

unironically

Ocarina of time

Holy shit, that's cool.

A guy I assume Kojima hated was told to work on a way for ice to melt accurately.

He made an algorithm that perfectly simulates the complex way ice melts and doesnt hog cycles on a ps2.

It got used for a few cubes in a bucket in the corner of one room

i fucking love this game but i'm a brainlet that can't into strategy so i always lose when i play

the newer games are made for brainlets, you might wanna check them out if you like warhammer

Total War games have always been piss easy I don't know what you are talking about.

shenmue

>Fuck up heavy infantry with slingers and bog them down with projectiles
>Put heavy infantry of your own into a wedge formation to lock up the enemy infantry
>Fuck them in the ass with cavalry

Rinse and repeat.

Pong

Dead Rising and GTA IV are my favorite technology games.

Driv3r GBA
Asterix & Obelix XXL GBA

unironically the first Super Mario Bros.
I know, my Nintendofanboy is shining out again, but the smooth scrooling from left to right was actually a technological breaktrough

I'm reminded of how shitty Roman infantry was during the early campaign. Like take a Hastati and put them against one basic unit from the surrounding enemies. Gaul had better stats so it was a shitty fight. Macedonia had phalanxes so they'd get wrecked. Equites were the only cavalry unit you can recruit early on. They were next to useless except for chasing routing units. They could sustain damage via flanking enemies and would get chopped to bits by any enemy that was competent.

sega did it first but no one gives them credit as usual

Red Faction Guerrilla had destructible environments like the which had never been seen before or since.

yeah but after the military reforms and as soon as you have too over rome you are the conqueror of everything, no army can stand in your way.

I always used to let carthage get mighty as carthage are one of the better armies to fight

Perfect Dark

that entire room on the tanker was a tech heaven. that lcd breaking is still comfy as fuck.
The whole of the tanker was a tech showoff

Hitman blood money was the first time I had ever seen that amount of individual NPCs n screen at a time.
Truly fucking impressive

How the fuck did they make the Mardi Gras level work, especially on consoles?

so damn impressive, I played it on PS2 first too.
idk how they did it but I was amazed by it.

I dunno if it had the best thing for its time, but its definitely something I havent seen before or since - HL Episode 2 had this one sequence where you walk out of the mines with Alyx. Up in front of you there is a bridge, and a series of troops walking across it - the dev commentary goes on about how they made two or three separate walk animations for that particular event, and then had the game pick varying degrees between one animation and the other, incorporating elements of each into the other, like a fader between the two. The result was troops walking across the bridge that all seemed to just be going in their direction, instead of the Red Army Parade walking in rank and file.

shenmue

I remember Beyond Good and Evil had some amazing looking water for it's time.

How would you describe even describe the concept of TECHNOLOGY to someone? The way I see it it's when a game lets cool shit happen through its mechanics and not through scripted sequences or events, I could be wrong though.

I meant for the NES

not really demonstrable in a webm, but still a classic

daytona usa, its crazy how this came out during the genesis era

When something lifelike happens in a game that you did not expect, usually because you are expecting a game to feel artificial and unrealistic

Mirrors are apparently hard.

youtu.be/SGOj3Ugq6B0

pls explain

MGS2. Shoot the glasses in Tanker and you'll see what I mean.

Smooth scrolling is a feature built in to the NES's hardware and SMB was far from the first game to utilize it. You might be confusing it with id getting smooth scrolling to work on PC with Commander Keen, which was actually considered a huge accomplishment due to the lack hardware acceleration on PCs back then.

not that guy, but isn't smb's scrolling a little special because they had to write in the buffer zone and shit as well?

>It got used for a few cubes in a bucket in the corner of one room
You weren't joking about Kojima hating that guy

Doom.

quite literally

wtf i hate kojima now

Doom always comes to mind.
Mario 64 and GTA3 too.

No, games like Excitebike and Xevious did that before Mario.

Source engine was ahead of everything else when it was released.

First Crysis engine was out there also.

ofc a bunch of shit in 20th century was 'revolutionary' but very simple compared to modern tech. Games and engines could be made by small teams instead of 100+ like they are now.

Spacewar had way more tech much earlier.

These

I have to ask - what do yall think the next leap in game technology will be? Examples are like, the realistic physics in Source, the huge high quality landscapes of CryEngine, the usability and expansiveness of Unity and U4. Whats next?

Destructible environments are kind of a hot thing now right?

Nothing. Technology in vidya has already peaked. Picture the leap between fifth and sixth gen, and the leap between sixth and seventh gen. Both generational leaps offered new technology that the old hardware couldn't handle. Now, visualize the leap between seventh and eighth gen. The only thing that really improved was the graphical quality.

Nothing.
Not memeing, the industry is pretty good now to waste money and time developing something new and crazy.

Nothing this gen has come close to what FEAR accomplished with destructible environments.

Is monolith still making games?

>Technology in vidya has already peaked.
No. More of a stall than a peak.

Have you seen Rainbow Six: Siege?

DOOM
Trespasser (shitty game but impressive none the less)
Quake
Half Life 2
Crysis
Metro 2033 (PS4 version was even downgraded)
STALKER
GTA4

Trespasser but it was fucking shit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_inverse_square_root
it's a variable that to this day people still can't figure out how Carmack came up with it.

All scripted. You can blow holes in a wall, yet lamps are invincible. Bad Company 2 is the pinnacle of destructible environments.

Carmack didn't write this, stop spreading lies, you dumb.

Guys is there any platformer with same level of movement variety and physics as mario 64 had?
I love the way you can approach the same situation in many different ways in that game.

Wait until Odyssey.

But they've been dumbing down mario's moveset with each sequel. They only bother to improve and innovate the level design, which in itself is not bad but it's not what I'm looking for.

DOOM is still impressive by today's standards as everyone's ported it to fucking everything.

youtube.com/watch?v=NPWi5yJK3zo

They're the ones who made Shadow of Mordor.

The Cappy mechanic will change everything, just you wait.

Half life
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDmcwfn8y0lMtlqcpUhggk0FB1EC2i3iB