Alright, now that the dust has settled

Alright, now that the dust has settled...

Which of these is the superior version?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SP4_Oz1U-NI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm gonna say 2 since it's the one with the best expansions and probably the most mods I've personally installed into one game.

pottery

Sims 2 > Sims 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sims 3 = Sims 4

Make way for /ourguy/

i've been playing sims2 lately and i have all the expansions installed holy fuckin shit i didnt realize how many expansions sims games actually had, as a kid i just played the sims and sims2 on my ps2

my question is where do you get your mods? i googled sims 2 mods but most repositories were pretty shitty and third-world looking.

I haven't played 4 but I probably enjoyed Sims 3 the most of the others. I really like the seamless open world aspect of it. Whenever I try to play Sims 2 now I'm frustrated that you are stuck on your lot and leaving it involves time traveling that fucks with need management.

>Sim 2 is straight up an upgrade from Sims 1
>Sim 3 did some things right but a lot more wrong
>Sim 4 removed anything good from 3 and focuses on eye-candy

I wish the first Sims held up as well as it does in my memory

But it always feels so restrictive when I go back to it

I'm mostly into the building/designing aspect of the games so 3 has always been my favorite.
I'd probably place 4 second, because of all the new building features and mechanics.
With 1 and 2 at a shared third.

I do enjoy the gameplay and playing "legit" sometimes though and while 3 had the most varied content with expansions it almost had too many features and performance was awful, 2 would be my favorite here.
1 in second.
3 in third.
4 in fourth, the gameplay in 4 is just really boring and fairly shallow.

The soundtrack for 1 is still the comfiest shit, it hits nostalgia levels for me only comparable with WoW.

the instancing and empty neighborhoods in 4 are really depressing

They are all good and have tons of content. I personally like sims 4 more (but I pirated it with everything who the fuck would pay for sims), and its pretty much 2/3 hybrid with better graphics.
Too bad I have no imagination so my playthroughs just stemm down to creating my crush and myself and starting a boring family

Sims 4 removed the open world, Instead trying to be like Sims 2 and failing horribly at it,

The dream Sims game would be for a Simcity/Sims hybrid, Where you can build your Neighborhoods,Towns,Cities and be able to fully explore and interact with them though your sim.

Sims 3 by a fucking longshot since it has more content than every other sims game combined, but with the 1 major flaw of being poorly optimized and laggy no matter what you fucking do. Other than that, it is perfect.

>TFW Spore was going to be that + a space sim but EA ruined it

1=2>>>>4

I like and dislike parts of each game

>The dream Sims game would be for a Simcity/Sims hybrid, Where you can build your Neighborhoods,Towns,Cities and be able to fully explore and interact with them though your sim.

Well that's pretty much Sims 3.

spore would be almost impossible to make even in 2017. How the fuck did people fall for the hype.

Except it wouldn't be if EA hadn't meddled as much as they did

Sims 3 unfortunately didn't go far enough, Especially with building interiors, Sims 4 did expand upon the interiors of buildings in their small little instanced locations you could travel too.

>Sims 3 = Sims 4
no

You'd be surprised what people could pull off if there was a market for it

To be fair, I've never played 4.

Sims 2 will always be the best.

Can you actually make that in Sims 2? Did it need mods? Doesn't look standard.

I know chicks who still swear by Sims 2.
So I'm gonna go with that.

this one

check out the /vg/ thread

Sims 1 has the greatest nostalgia factor along with the best sound track. It was incredibly unique for it's time and had enough charm and gameplay to keep your going.

sims 2 tried to improve on what sims 1 did. "better" graphics, actually growth stages, children, unique life states and more. It did it's best to improve on what sims 1 and I would argue it succeeded.

Sims 3 cut content from the base game, but with all the expansions included in most likely the best and complete sims game. There's a huge array of things to do and try. However the engine work is absolute shit and you're fucked by long load times and memory leaks.

Sims 4 fucking blows.There's not even burglars anymore and a lot of the content feels shallow and barren.It's fucking moronic to have sims invite you at 4 in the morning to the castle ruins for a "party" only to arrive and there be fuck all there. It just feels rushed and unfinished and a last desperate cash grab.

Good thing the only one I've ever bought was sims 1 with it's expansion bundle.

I wanna know too. Is this an expansion pack?

I don't think you've played 3 either

>shopping music in sims 1
I reinstall erry time

>he didn't get Sims 2 with all the expansions for free

1's music
2's gameplay
3's content
4's graphics/style
The perfect Sims game

I like how 4 has no access to balcony

>installing Origin for any reason, at all, ever

that's because no-one ported all their favourite hair and clothing mods to 3 or 4

i'm a girl(male) and i prefer 2 even through i never used hair and clothing mods

I agree with this entirely.

>He doesn't play Garden Warfare 2
Oh my

2 > 1 >> 3 >>> 4

undeniable fact

youtube.com/watch?v=SP4_Oz1U-NI

Sims 3 gameplay with Sims 4 graphics would be GOAT.

hell yeah, i would always ride solo with bob, i didn't need anyone else

that literally sounds like a facebook game my man lmao

Buildings look cool, but faces in Sims 4 (and to an extent, 3) look fucking awful and straight out of a Shrek movie. They all look so cringy.

3 for the features. 2 for the performance. 4 for mistaking "sequel" for "1/10th the features"

>straight out of a Shrek movie
How is that bad?

Sims will keep failing as long as they keep pandering to teenage girls playing on laptops with maximum 2gb ram.

This is literally the only character they put any effort and realism into, just to attract the "muh waifu"-type audience. Everything else is cartoony.

Why won't there ever be a good competitor to The Sims? Clearly a lot of people enjoy the series but some people don't like the direction it's gone in.

Honestly, my dream Sims wouldn't be a "virtual dollhouse" like it is now. It would be more like a virtual god simulator where you have no direct control over your Sims. You don't ever control The Sims and tell them what to do, you can only controls "acts of god". Like you can make something break, or cause it to rain or "implant thoughts" into your Sims heads.

The Sims wouldn't perform actions because you told them to, the actions they performed would be checked against a TON of factors that go into the personality of that specific Sim. For example, if the TV broke, you couldn't tell your Sim to go fix it. You could implant the thought(if it was not automatically) that they should do something about the TV being broken, this would perform a series of checks, the Sim would consider fixing it themselves, but if they don't feel technically qualified, they had a previous negative experience working with electronics, or, when growing up their parents enabled them to be lazy, they wouldn't want to fix the TV and just wait for someone else to do it.

The Sims would decide to get married on their own and make life decisions on their own based on their upbringing and other factors. The problem with The Sims 3/4 is that you can give your Sim the "Commitment Issues" trait, but, because you are controlling their actions and can make them do things against their will, this trait does fuck all. What if a Sim was neglected as a child and this influenced them to have commitment issues when they were older? They would frequently switch jobs and switch relationships without your permission.

Now that would be a fucking fun Sims game.

And? The Sims 4 characters look more like Fiona than any other character from Shrek.

Sims 1 for comfy
Sims 2 for fun
Sims 3 for open world
Sims 4 for build/design

Not user, but I never saw Fiona is a character to appeal as a waifu. IMO her role was a perfect balance of a female character, even if she was a bit of a mary sue.

Sims will keep failing because it's ran its course, Financially speaking.

Best thing now to do would be to do is to make a "final" sims that has the open world like 3, some modding tools and integration ala their own Steam Workshop, and accept that you can't really make money from it anymore. This is EA though so this will never happen.

This game would only sell to autists and tycoon-type gamers. And ONLY if done good, because such a game would have be to be perfect to even work; it's an insanely complicated game concept.

Therefore, it will never be made. It takes too much effort and it would only pander to a small minority of gamers. It wouldn't be worth it.
The Sims games are popular BECAUSE teen girls like to play dollhouse. Take that out and you got a financial dead end. Maybe this could work in the 90s, but not today.

>accept that you can't really make money from it anymore.
This actually isn't true though. The Sims 4 has grown more and more successful, even well into 2017. I looked this up recently. It's gained in popularity since it's release.

I could never understand how people liked Sims 2 over Sims 1.

>Go two days without fulfilling an aspiration
>Your sim is shitting their pants and screaming until they pass out

Well, yeah. I know it will never get made, but it would be pretty interesting. One of the most interesting questions humans ask is, "Why do we do the things we do?" and this game would literally simulate just that.

You could watch a child playing at recess in school, some girls run up to him and pull his pants down as a joke and show his race-car undies to all the other kids on the playground, then many MANY years later when he's an adult, it turns out he has a fetish for humiliation/underwear and femdom.

What a concept.

Look at these faces, retards. They look awful, cartoony and nowhere near as realistic as Sims 2 faces, which weren't that realistic either to begin with, but still.

If you look back to The Sims 1, the characters needs decayed so quickly that it was super easy to get caught in a similar loop where the character was too tired to take a shower, but too smelly to sleep or something stupid like that.

The Sims is more fun as a cartoon simulation with over the top expressions. It's like a caricature of life.

What the fuck is wrong with you

I could never understand how people liked Sims 1 over Sims 2.
>no children
>in a life simulation game

Not only that but the sims behaviour algorithm, while beautifully simple, was insufficient so you had to do a bit too much baby-sitting.

I still don't understand why core gameplay - interacting with objects and other sims is so shit. AI often fails to manage sims in meaningful way. Tile based movement makes everything awkward and requires big open spaces if you want to talk with 3 or more sims at the same time. I wish they finally focused on this aspect because outside of building nice house there is nothing to do in these games.

>Why won't there ever be a good competitor to The Sims? Clearly a lot of people enjoy the series but some people don't like the direction it's gone in.
Same reason there isn't a good competitor to TES games. They are really hard to make and require a lot of money. Same as with TES there have been attempts to compete with but they've all been abysmal.

And in response to your traits thing they aren't entirely pointless. They affect mood and some have more serious consequences. Take the fixing TV example, a sim with the handy trait has no risk of being electrocuted when doing this but those that don't can be. If a sim tries to repair again after being electrocuted this time they have a chance of dying. All traits affect autonomous behavior which you may or may not rely on depending on how many sims are in the household.

Honestly, most people are just not going to take traits that are particularly annoying. For example, absent-minded actually does have the type of effect you want and everyone fucking hates it. I suspect a good deal were mainly created with non-controlled sims in mind.

Been romancing Nancy Landgraab since Bustin' Out. Easiest way to get a huge house, it almost feels like cheating.

just like in real life

But they fit the best with the gameplay format & other game elements.
It's just kind of stupid to have "realistic-looking" sims if they all act goofy all the time.

really is frustrating how good sims4 looks given how awful it is

color me surprised then if its true.

I feel like EA has run into the "mistake" of making the first few games too good, so they run into the dilemma of whats the point of making a new one. It's too costly too take The Sims 1, 2 and 3 + Expansions and give them a graphical facelift and new mechanics to keep things new, and they can't just make the same game but again. So the question is, what exactly do they do?

in sims 3, i have to stop installing Into the Future or I will just go to the future and steal 10 sets of winning lottery numbers, then buy tickets in the present to become disgustingly rich.

>modding
I doubt that they'll do that when they can release countless paid furnitures and other bloats by themself, EA is way too greedy to grow modding community for their game.

Fun fact: if you buy the sims 3/expansions on steam (it may work with 4 too) and write the cdkeys down then refund it the keys will still work on origin.

Paid mods is a thing today. Why bother making the content yourself when you can get the users to do it and still make money?

Two had the best gameplay and overall execution but I absolutely loved the open world in three. It's extremely unfortunate that they didn't put the effort into optimizing the open world element and implementing a version that was less laggy/processor demanding for four and instead defaulted back to the instanced lots format. Then again, there are a lot of things about Sims 4 that are unfortunate.

One thing that annoyed me about Sims 4 was that even with all the improvements and new features to the building system, they didn't bother to introduce half-length walls. In both Sims 3 and 4 the usually 1x1m grid has been split in half for furniture placement etc, and you can even place objects without the grid if you want to!

Yet they don't allow you to make smaller walls after so many years, it'd would literally revolutionize house building...

>it may work with 4 too

Sims 4 is not on Steam.

Any good mods to replace the baby faces in Sims 3? Every Sim looks terrible in that game.

>what exactly do they do?
Nothing. Literally nothing. You need to understand dude, the people that play the Sims will play them for two years and never, ever replay them after that. Teen girls will just move on from their virtual dollhouses to other interests, such as smartphones, makeup, shopping and boys. They are not a consistent audience. The people that play the Sims 4 today will never play 5 when it arrives, because they will be too old for the Sims, and probably too old for video games in general. Their attention span is too short. Instead, the new generation of teen girls will start playing the Sims with the new installment in the series, and will too never care about the previous or next games. So EA can just keep rehashing the same game every few years, with a few features cut so they can sell them as expansion packs.

And no, you and me don't count. We are the minority of Sims players. We don't matter financially to EA.

NO.

>Which of these is the superior version?
None, its the guild 2 and soon to be 3

My bad. I never bothered with 4 since I heard how bad it was just assumed it was on there.

sometimes i reinstall sims 4 then start a dungeon under my house and starve tons of people and remember this game is boring and quit in like 4 hrs

IIRC randomly generated sims are based of sims in the sim bin (with randomness and genetics thrown in) so you would need a decent amount of sims within the sim bin of the style you want (with as much diversity as you want) and delete all default and funky looking ones.
NRASS can help modify some of the percentages involved (I think default is 50% bin) so you can set it to 100% and have a bit of randomisation on top.
>Note: I'm talking about the sim bin viewable on the neighbourhood screen, not the favourited sims within the make-a-sim screens

you're not the target gender of this game

Sims 2

fucccckkk

Sim 1 - killing simulator
Sim 2 - best expansions
Sim 3 - memory Hog
Sim 4 - Waifu simulator

nah nah nah nah
Sims 3: is best, runs/loads worst
Sims 2: best if you dont have an SSD and an i7
Sims 4: Artifical Academy 2

That sounds like a lot of work just to play a video game.

I am pretty sure one's gender has nothing to do with the enjoyment of screwing the sims up from time to time.

>from time to time
Game developers don't look to please and sell to people who play their games "from time to time," retard. You are not the target audience. Preteen girls are.

I've heard it claimed that almost every single sim in the bin uses the same face preset and can't actually be removed so after a couple of generations everyone in town has the exact same potato face. For that reason people recommend either creating or downloading a ton of custom sims and then setting up NRass to only use user made sims in the bin for random generation.

I'm just explaining how it's done
If you're too lazy to do it just enjoy editing each pudding face that spawns

Yes its something like that, I was just going by memory

sims 3 is by far the easiest to make money in
>move a house goblin into a sub-basement that has nothing but basic amenities and an easel
>delete the door
>never worry about money because the AI defaults to painting for joy

am i the only nigga on earth who played sims medieval

granted i pirated it but still