What.
Went.
Wrong?

Nothing really

Nintendo consoles

its on an outdated tablet

Durability system.
Waiting for the rain to pass to climb.
One tier of puzzles due to never finding any solution equipment.
4 mini dungeons.
An average low quality for shrines.
Final boss is a massive disappointment.
Reward for exploration is a literal shit.
Physical DLC.
Hard mode behind a pay wall.
Terrible English voice acting.

It's also on Wii U and PC

wrong brand on the label

I overhyped piece of shit.

Absolutely nothing.

A lot of things, but generally? The focus on quantity over quality and exploration for the sake of exploration. Same problem with Wind Waker. BotW basically is a sequel to Wind Waker, except instead of a blue ocean you have a green/brown one.

>needing specific equipment to make puzzle solutions obvious
I'm fucking glad they dropped the "dungeon item" puzzle trivialisers.

The previous system did have flaws but instead of attempting to address them Nintendo simply threw the whole thing out.
Now you have four solutions and that's it.
You will always have them.
If there's water in the shrine guess what you'll be using.

Master Sword being breakable
>Muh regenerating magic sword
and Calamity Ganon being a lackluster battle. Those two are the biggest issues with me. Lesser issues are hardmode and the fact that they had to ship the japanese dub in an update rather than having the option out of the box.

FPBP

>Terrible English voice acting.
I didn't think it was that bad but Zelda's voice actor really brings down the whole thing by like 100 points. I don't usually like doing the JP voices by default but holy shit I did not want to hear her VA anymore.

nothing really, there will never exist a perfect game that absolutely everyone loves, In the case of Zelda I like most of it and it's one of the best games I've played this year.

Zelda's voice but that was fixed in an update.

The cutscenes overall were just lousy.
I think the game would have been much better without them at all.
Just don't go into any convoluted explanation of the past and leave it to the player to piece together through environmental clues like that battlefield outside of the Shieka village.
This game didn't need those overly long exposition dumps.

>If there's water in the shrine guess what you'll be using
50% of the time you'll be using the a button to get the orb
40% of the time you'll not be using cryosis because the water is superfluous
10% of the time you might use cryosis, and that's even pretty generous

Magnesis to pull something off the bottom?
Maybe there's a current that I'm suppose to float a bomb in?

Skyrim effect.

Large mostly empty open world with shit dungeons and a worse plot

The cutscenes were the only thing that kept me at least somewhat interested in the game. Also they're not exposition dumps considering you have to actively search for over half of them on your own.

>Durability system.
opinion discarded

>It's a good thing the game forces me to be creative because that's the only way I can be creative

>Same problem with Wind Waker. BotW basically is a sequel to Wind Waker, except instead of a blue ocean you have a green/brown one.

Ah, no wonder both games are the pinnacle of exploration and making you feel like you're going on a grand adventure.

Yeah what the hell went wrong?
What is the reason for the -3%??

And despite all that I still enjoyed the hell out of it.

It was my first Zelda game, I hope they bring the older stuff to the switch.

No.

No dungeons, no items, empty world. Everything else was good though. I really enjoyed playing it on my pc after my screen warped outta frame on my now returned switch.

You'll be let down since the older Zelda games are nothing like Breath of the Wild.

/thread

>i play with invincibility and unlimited ammo on, and i use save states, but i'm not a casual because i pretend it's hard sometimes.

All the game needed was meaningful sidequest rewards and some actual dungeons, I enjoyed it a ton and sunk over 100 hours into it.

Honestly BoTW makes me excited for the next big Zelda game because I know Nintendo learned a lot from it.

Are you excited to turn 16 next month?

You. Putting. Periods. After. Every. Sentence. Maybe?

shitty skyward sword art style
this game would look so good without the cel shading

I made a thoughtful list in the last thread and it was completely ignored and then the thread died. There's problems. Its not perfect and the 97 metacritic was far too generous.

>Boring aesthetics
>Underwhelming main dungeons that take 15 minutes to beat
>Test of Strength shrines
>Blessing shrines
>Shrines in general, mini-dungeons lack any ambiance or atmosphere
>Overpowered cooking system that trivializes the game
>Hard mode is DLC for some reason
>Enemies always have good weapons that scale with your story progression, making the durability system pointless and redundant mechanic that only serves to make you shuffle through a little dial menu every 45 seconds of combat
>Combat system is a joke, QTE meme bullshit with way too forgiving windows of opportunity
>Lack of enemy variety, reskins try but fail to keep things fresh
>Lack of weapon variety, 3 movesets for all melee weapons plus a few with some niche properties like boomerangs (swords that you can throw) and rods (swords that shoot stuff)
>Sidequests are too short and lack any depth. Shrine quests are usually too short and non-shrine quests are just fetchquests that give worthless rewards you probably already have a million of from just doing shrines or killing monsters anyway
>Even the "grandiose" Tarry Town quest is just 3 glorified wood fetchquests
Not a bad game but there's plenty to be improved upon. Hopefully next Zelda they'll fill a lot of the voids this game has.

>I made a bait post expecting (You)s but there were no baits
I mean be honest, why else would you be annoyed at not getting replies?

I would not call those games the "pinnacle of exploration" when their exploration is entirely pointless/optional and full of copypaste. In the original Legend of Zelda exploration was a means to an end, you had to explore to find the dungeons to get the triforce pieces to beat Ganon. All the items you could find were also directly tied to your primary goal of conquering the dungeons, especially considering the game was rather hard. WW is incredibly easy and BotW's difficulty falls off a cliff, you're never hungry for those optional upgrades because you don't need them. They have exploration for the sake of exploration, to get that 100%, to say you did everything.

Not him but honestly the game should force the player to be creative, yeah. If anything it's a problem BotW has, the game doesn't exploit its mechanics anywhere near far enough.

The game should allow creativity but not force it.
You shouldn't hamstring the entire game just to force people to engage in the weapon system involuntarily.

It's not named Ocarina of Time

I played the game on cemu and it was horribly boring. They ruined the formula by replacing actual content with walking simulation through the same 3 copypaste areas. Another thing that I disliked was the fire physics, it was much more fun to set shit on fire in fucking Far Cry 4 than this one and I was memed into thinking this game had good fire physics so I was extra disappointed.

>The game should allow creativity but not force it.

100000% disagree. Some freedom is good but it should be structured in such a way that the player is being continuously challenged or at the very least engaged. To butcher economics, it's kind of like supply and demand. If you have a lot of supply (methods to overcome a problem), but a low demand (complex problems to challenge the player), the supply loses value. BotW has plenty of tools in the toolbox but it's generally very easy to just take the path of least resistance and not have to properly take advantage of the game's mechanics. You use them because you can, because of the novelty, not because the game is pushing your limits. This is why I hope BotW gets a direct sequel because it will (presumably) have a better understanding of how to make full use of its pre-existing mechanics.

>You shouldn't hamstring the entire game just to force people to engage in the weapon system involuntarily.

I was talking about the game overall, but I do think the weapon durability system becomes less and less relevant over time. Eventually you stock up on so many weapons that you're never at a point where you need to think on the fly. You always have something to fall back on, and if anything you have too much stuff and have to constantly deal with the clunky UI.

One of the big reasons people love Eventide Island so much is because it's one of the few places that starts you back at square one and forces you to make use of everything at your disposal. BotW is at its strongest when you have nothing to your name and have to scrounge for absolutely everything.

I just don't understand why there are infinite bombs when basically everything else except armor is finite. Could they just not come up with an enemy that would drop bombs?

>Some freedom is good but it should be structured in such a way that the player is being continuously challenged or at the very least engaged.
I agree but that's not what the durability system does.
It's not challenging, it's fucking annoying.

Nothing.

I really think the runes should have used a magic meter instead of a cooldown. It would have forced puzzle areas to have some kind of magic-replenishing fountain (or forced the player to carry potions) but it would have made combat more interesting. Could have allowed for the bombs to be a lot more powerful as well.

It's not on the ps4.

I was thinking more in line of bombs being regular items that you had to collect, hold and throw instead of being a rune. Then you could have different kinds of bombs too.

But a mana meter for stasis, magnesis and freeze would be great too, then we'd have more to spend shrine orbs on than just health and stamina which gets redundant at aprox 10 hearts and 2 extra stamina wheels anyway.

All the durability system needed was the option to fight unarmed.

you made this thread

Its the master sword what the fuck did you expect? It pretty much never wears away over thousands of years in other games (save for being "powered down" in some cases) so I was not shocked at all.

Nintendo. it was doomed to failure for even begin.

I think they needed to make things like fire and lightning do percent based damage rather than set damage. Would have made them much more useful against the higher tier enemies.

This. There's a lot of flaws, even more not listed, but overall it's a really solid experience and hopefully sets the stage for a much better Zelda game soon to come.

I played on my roommate's switch since I see no reason to buy one, but maybe in a few years I will (once they get more than just BOTW as a good exclusive)

N O T H I N G
O
T
H
I
N
G

Seriously this. I fucking love me some exploring and BotW gave me it in spades. It’s not without problems, but I had an incredible experience with it.

>All these people saying nothing
So when the sequel comes out, it won't be able to improve on anything?
Any changes would be a mistake?

People who give Fallout 4 a 95 and to BOTW a 70
People who give BF1 89 and a 60 to BotW
People who give to The Division 80 and to BOTW a 60
People who give a Watchdog 2 82 and a 60 to BotW
Peolpe who give to No man's sky 72 and a 60 to botw

There can be room for improvement without anything being outright wrong. Youcan always have a bigger world,more content, more dungeons, etc. regardless of how much there was before.

Alright but what if they do more than an expansion pack?

The weapon durability system should be reworked so the weapons only take damage when in contact with other weapons or hard surfaces, as they do in real life. But that would have meant a bigger focus on duels like in skyward sword, and frankly, that shit did not fly. Maybe nintendo did it best.

It' ok for me

There is no universe in which this game is bad.

Yes.

No, it's just on Wii U and Switch. CEMU is not a PC version, just the Wii U version.

Lack of proper dungeons and the world not having much things of interest to make it worth totally exploring. Still pretty good. Also, templateposting should be a bannable offence.

yes

>the world not having much things of interest to make it worth totally exploring.
hey anons he didn't play the game

>Waiting for the rain to pass to climb.

If you're good you can still climb/jump during rain.

>Durability system

the true casual filter

>Avoiding fights because it's a net loss on your weapons
Wow, this is fun.

Thread over.

Nintendo succeeded on every front.

Breath Of The Wild celebrated the 30th anniversary of the series by taking its inspiration from the NES original.

It breathed new life into the series after complaints of the formula getting stale.

Nintendo made an absolute mockery of every other 3D open world game - on their very first attempt.

Nintendo proved once again that they're at the cutting edge of Game Design.

Actually managed to live up to the hype.

Single-handedly turned their new console into a monster success.

It also had the added bonus of anally raping Sup Forums into a state of acidic rage.

Honestly, Nintendo couldn't have done better.

it's boring af
i never finished it

>not having 10+ weapons on you at any time
you can't be that retarded

And if I'm going to go down to 9 then literally why would I fight a group of shitgoblins?

If you're still losing weapons faster than you're gaining them after the first hour, you might want to stop whacking every tree in sight repeatedly. You genuinely have to be trying in order to run out of weapons.

A combination of these two and both were enough to make me never want to return to BoTW again but I hold out hope that now the foundation is complete, the next game will be something special.

I agree entirely. As a first attempt it's bloody amazing but to say it's without flaws is completely wrong.
The next game should be much better.

Literally the only things it needed:

1. Twice as many enemy types so that each area can have it's own flavor
2. A couple more weapon types
3. Climbing set letting you climb in the rain
4. Three or four honest-to-god dungeons. I'm talking find a mysterious door in the side of a mountain and go on a shrine-esque miniquest just to get it open then go down into the depths. Or a dungeon in the old ruins. Or a sky dungeon.
5. Reworked final boss fight so that Ganon wouldn't be at his weakest when you were at your strongest. There are ways to make the fight meaningfully difficult when you rush it or go in prepared.
6. Less of a jarring blood moon transition
7. More powers/different flavors of the powers that were their own items, not tied to the slate
8. More items. It's an absolute shame there isn't a WW style grappling hook in a game that heavily features climbing. Hell, make that what you use to climb in the rain.
9. Make the slow-mo harder to pull off (actually base it off of hitboxes and not 'dodging when an attack is being performed') and give us some more special moves.

FUCKING. DARKNUTS. HOLY SHIT.

Ultimately BotW was a really solid base of a game with some garnish. It was good but it needed more. Imagine if there was a Giant Goron, unique enemy types in each biome of the map like in OoT, Sidequests that triggered dragon-sized bosses out of seemingly nowhere. BotW was amazing when you were discovering cool new things, it just needed more of those. I remember vividly exploring the red plateau bits you see in the distance and spotting my first Hinox and freaking out over the Lynel standing around. The game just needs more moments like that. It's a crying shame they didn't use DLC as a chance to do it.

Maybe use shitgoblin weapons to fight shitgoblins?
One shot the first one with your gold enhanced Royal Broadsword and then pick up his shit weapon to beat the rest of them with.
It's nearly impossible to actually come out behind from engagements in BotW, almost every enemy is carrying a weapon and then they also drop tons of parts to sell.

Now you've wasted a Royal Dicksword for a Gobshitstick
Well done.

Not him, but you hit it exactly one. If even that is enough for your autism just throw a bomb at them and bumrush to pick it up before they get back up. They always drop their weapons when you bomb them.

>Reworked final boss fight so that Ganon wouldn't be at his weakest when you were at your strongest.

Ok, I don't get this one.
Thematically, making the final confrontation easier is literally the reason you go do all the other content instead of rushing straight to the castle.
And then you complain when you succeeded in your quest and actually made the final battle easier.
If you wanted it to be hard, you just wouldn't have done all that other shit.

Royal dickswrod are in LITERALLY every treasure chest and held by random enemies the world over by the end of the game, they aren't fucking rare.

Additionally, items lying on the ground or found in enemy hands respawn every blood moon, if you find a place to grab one, then you know where you can always find one again.
So it's not a probable to use it because you can just get another one.

Not much to be honest.
It's a pretty spectacular first attempt at an open world Zelda game.

Sure the 4 dungeons are shitty but the game overall is pretty impressive and gives me hope for the future of the Zelda franchise.

I guess shrines and Koroks are technically points of interest, but after the 40th time of consecutively running into practically nothing but the both of those things, the journey across the landscape of hyrule starts becoming a bit more stale and predictable. That's what I think the biggest issue with this game is, it gets really formulaic really fast. You very rarely run into anything that's unexpected or surprising, not even in regards to enemy types other than maybe the sandworm. It really dulls the whole experience and makes the game world seem fake.

Skyrim ruined video games

>skyrim created open world games

Threadbare story, archaic menu system, bad weapon damage system, frequent autosaves kill any sense of danger.

Nintendo

Fuck off Reggie

this

Fucking reddit shill.

The only reason Sup Forums hates this game is because it's popular. Bunch of wagon hopping faggots.

r-r-reddit!

It's still a fucking sandbox game.

You left out the second part of that sentence. There are ways to do it.

For example: If you don't complete some of the divine beasts then they roam around the castle and you need to hide from them unless you feel like you can take them down. If you opt instead to kill the blights then it will make the approach to Ganon easier but Ganon himself might be stronger (as he's partially re-absorbed some of the blight).

Or you could have Ganon's fight be much harder, but killing the blights gives you special abilities to use during the fight (wind makes your jumps and dodges longer, water gives your swings a second after-swing, fire keeps you from getting knocked back, thunder lets you pull a skyward sword and lightning blast him)

There are ways you can 'prepare to fight ganon' that don't involve trivializing the fight.