What is so fascinating about hard game franchises like Soul series?

What is so fascinating about hard game franchises like Soul series?

they aren't even that hard

they're just super fun rpgs with good exploration, combat, and OC options

I think it has to do with lack of time at the end of the day. You have time to play a game, but not time to learn a new game. So its a game you can play a lot refining how well you play the same mechanics rather than learning new ones.

I think its the same reason people play MOBA or MMOs. Enough depth to keep going but nothing new.

I've fallen in that trap before as well because so many games these days take an 8 week course for all the damn shit in them and I just want to go live in fantasy land for a couple hours.

I think this applies to Souls-ish games and to crap like LoL. Though at least Souls is good in a lot of ways minus its hit boxes.

BB & Nioh are not that hard though
BB having 20 vials makes it easy mode

This, I don't buy these games because they're labeled "hard", the community puts these stupid labels on them because they're shit, then it seeps into the minds of the devs, but atleast they still keep up with the rpg elements and level design.

E-peen waving.

t. incompetent scrub

the games genuinely are not hard, you just have to not be stupid.

Let's be real any retard can beat Souls like games with enough patience and time. The ability to flail your completion of a game some other people struggle with is the only reason people play these games.

Customization, boss battles and exploration. Difficulty is just a topping for me.

yeah I guess no one actually plays video games for fun/enjoyment

the only scenario in which you're correct is those people that make the game harder just to feel accomplished, like playing it with a guitar controller or doing the whole game as a level 1 with fists only.

It's not about being "hard", it's because a certain amount of challenge is required in a gane like Souls to encourage you to take advantage of the dept provided by the combat systems. Nioh is sometimes just straight up hard on purpose and feels like difficulty for the sake of difficulty like some of the multi bosses.

Nioh's multi bosses can be managed very easily because of the variety of tools you are given. If you try to play it like a souls game you're going to be crushed.

Give me one reason why Bloodborne and Nioh shouldn't be on PC

>Nioh
runs well on PS4 anyways.
>wanting a pc port by fucking KoeiTecmo
>Bloodborne
>a pc port by fucking From Soft
No.

Because they are Sony funded I.Ps and they exist in the first place because Sony paid for the exclusivity. I think somewhere down the line they should make a pc port because modern consoles have no backforwards compatibility and PSNow is garbage.

Being somewhat difficult has nothing to do as to why Souls games are good.

By name-calling you just proved his point.

Good job.

We need souls to assure us how shitty at videogames are when we come out of the CoD closet

what were soulsfags before souls?

were they DMCfags? frame-perfect fighting gamefags don't make sense

who were they? i like the games, but how could a series come along and create a perfect breeding ground for autists

>Nioh runs well on PS4 anyways
At either 720p on base hardware or Dynamic rez from 720p to 1080p on pro

Monster hunter

>REEEEEEEEE DON'T BE MEAN ON Sup Forums
sad

speedrunner cucks or achievement fags

'Cause we don't wanna give it to ya, PĀ¢uck

Either a game is challenging (and I like a challenge, failing in something just makes me try harder) or the story is so interesting that I want to keep on playing.
Mindless jumping around or collecting stuff isn't interesting to me and looks more like occupational therapy for people who have too much free time.

because it forces casuals to play on the hardest difficulty.
but in all honesty i dont think the difficulty is that big of a deal when it comes to the series.
even if it had the regular "easy-normal-hard" setting people would still like it.

Sloth talisman makes boss fight a joke

cheap bait

Keep proving the point with your childish behaviour.

Typical Soulsfag

Give me a reason why it should be? Why are you not also championing its port to ALL platforms capable? Why are you not denouncing PC exclucivity where a KB + m is not required?

Later boss fights, especially DLC boss make the sloth talisman completely useless.

nice bait
its as hard as your brain allows it to be, eg you need braincells and you can't go hurr durr kill kill on everything
you know
like most games

Bloodborne is made trivial by the fact you can use conventional RPG wisdom and grind your way into a killing machine and the game makes no attempt to dissuade you or really bottleneck you from doing so. In fact it should tell you something that the fanbase will tell you that you are playing it wrong for not handicapping your stats on purpose to make the game more challenging, its all bullshit

nioh doesnt have good exploration. i really wish it did

Nioh dlc stream when?

They fill a niche that was left unoccupied for a long time
The felt refreshing because they came about at a time when everyone wanted to make cinematic shit chock full of QTEs and the like, but they're really nothing new
>get to new level
>get punished until you know the level
>beat boss at end of level
>go to next level
If this seems familiar, its because tons of NES games followed this formula, and I imagine the people who grew up on those are the kind of people it appeals to.
When whiny journalists bitched about how "hard" the games are while praising wannabe movie games, it really showed that those people only got into games fairly recently, or don't really play them at all (a theory the doom and cuphead videos have really reinforced)

Nioh GOTY edition when?

tomorrow

Play baldurs gate 2 on insane and you know what's really hard.

it's such a shame nioh was so broken and greatly lacked enemy variety.

Souls games aren't good because they're "hard".
But of course PCfags wouldn't know what good level or game design is, they've been fed gallery shooter FPS trash their entire lives

>consoles don't have gallery shooters

Nearly everything that's poopular on consoles now originated on PC. Especially that shitty openworld Western rpg walking simulator bullshit. I have to buy games through PSN now because nobody releases proper action games on disc anymore without that damn rpg bullshit. Even Bloodborne & Nioh are just passable action games that had rpg elements implemented into them just so they could actually be sold on disc at fool retail price.

Anyone feels the frame rates stuttering during the poisonous cave level in Nioh?

Many games these days are dumbed down to the lowest common denominator and for anyone who has been playing games for decades, are no longer interesting.

These "hard" games are a return to a period of time where games didn't hold your hand at every turn, it's a mix of nostalgia, long for the "Nintendo hard" era and the fact that the market is largely ignoring people who have built up skills over decades of playing, in favour for the casual crowd.