Stop reminding me

Stop reminding me

F

FUCK REDDIT

DELETE THIS

This man singlehandedly set us back 10 years

I'm not mad, I'm not mad

I missed this meme but I'm gonna take a wild fucking guess here.

Someone got a dev kit and either doesn't share it or cocked the entire fucking thing up?

I still remember the Dreamcast kit that went up on Craigslist and anons freaked out.

Fuck you

He gutted it and turned it into a 500$ rig. Account went ghost with no mentions of what happened to its hard hard drive

He wiped it

A teenager formatted the HDD because Windows couldn't see anything on it(The Original Xbox used its own proprietary filesystem so of course it couldn't), and then proceeded to use the case for a low end gaming PC build.

FUCK YOU STOP POSTING THIS

I'd be sad but all I can do is laugh.

Steambot Chronicles 2 hurt me more than anything else ever can

It's fake iirc

FUCKING STOOOOOOOP

I'm retarded, can someone explain why the source code is so valuable?

Also, shouldn't every copy of the game contain the source code?

reminder the only people who are upset about this are the buttblasted pcbros who won't be able to emulate 15 year old games on their $5000 gaming rigs. no one else gives a shit about this

>mfw one day some redditor will get a beta copy or source code for OOT/Mario 64 & return to Nintendo for le ebin upboats

Still thinking of finding an old Xbox

If your so mad. Why don't you buy a Dev Kit from Microsoft? They have multiple copies.

the distributed copies of a game contain the compiled code, which is close to impossible to reverse engineer

Doom is open source and it has thousands of mods and can be played inside of a printer, car or watch. It lets people understand the game from inside out.

Yes and no. It's there but it can't be viewed or used in any way.

>I'm retarded, can someone explain why the source code is so valuable?

It would allow almost limitless possibilities for modding. Anyone would be allowed to see EXACTLY how the game works.

>Also, shouldn't every copy of the game contain the source code?

No. You can't get source code from a program that is already compiled, like you can't walk into a building and immediately know the blueprints and how it was built.

Having the source code allows you to make changes to a game on a level that you can't manage otherwise. Games ship out as the compiled code, which is basically locked and you can't mess with.

With the source code someone could fix and change anything about a game as long as they know what they're doing. With compiled code you have to mod and very little can be done in comparison and it will never work as well as if you had worked it into the source code.

the devkit probably had an beta copy of Halo & other games on it, but he wiped it for no reason

Okay so it is super shitty we lost the source code to a working xbox emulator. Yeah it sucks for sure. Literally though what games would you want to play that arent superior on PC/already on PC anyway?

lol, i just want to keep playing xbox games in the future and not have the console and games forgotten.

So then how can a game like Skyrim have almost every mod imaginable if the modder doesn't have the source code?

You seem to

Crimson Skies
Jet Set Radio Future
MechAssault
OutRun 2
Metal Wolf Chaos
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x
Blinx
Gunvalkyrie
Otogi
Panzer Dragoon Orta

It has mod support. Fallout 4 has less mod support and hence the mods are a lot more shitty.

>1 2 3 4
I CAN'T HEAR YOU

Because Bethesda provides a toolkit called the TES Construction Set. It's just a very big walled garden.

>Blinx.
Are you shitting me dude? And half of those games already have better versions of that game. I feel like you're digging at the bottom of the barrel here. I mean for gods sakes your 7th game is fucking Blinx.

So even with modern technology it's still almost impossible to decompile a 20 year old game like Starcraft?

I've already played JSRF, I'd just like to be able to do it at an acceptable framerate and resolution

Skyrim has a toolkit that allows you to change the game in certain ways. People have found ways around the limitations, but not all of them. If we had the source code to Skyrim you could literally add in any number of things, like a completely different combat system, a RPG system like Oblivion or Morrowind, and other stuff that people have attempted to do with mods but are unable due to the limited nature of the creation kit.

You can from Java programs though.

That's why Mineman has such a large modding base, people decompiled the Java bytecode (which is run through an interpreter), fixed the obfuscation, and now we have mods.

Uncle Phil will put the OG Emulator on PCs right? R-Right?

You can still read the code, it's just in x86 ASM. Which is ass to work with let me fuckin tell you. Hard to modify on a large scale.

Conker: Live and Reloaded
Is Jade empire on pc?
JSRF (steam version is diffe--

OH
OH

OH

DEF JAM FIGHT FOR NY

Decompiled code is basically gibberish. The age of the program has nothing to do with it.

Jade empire does have steam version

Ninja Gaiden Black is still to this day the best action game ever made and the Sigma versions are abominations.

It's not, people just want to be mad for no reason. Non-competitive Starcraft community was dead for a decade. The is reverse-engineered open source Starcraft engine and nobody cares about it.

Wtf i Love reddit now

These people are stupid for believing that this would have lead to emulation anyway. The problem with Xbox emulation isn't the software. It's the fucking complex and undocumented hardware and I highly doubt they had the documentation in electronic format to store on a dev kit back then.

What this is REALLY valuable for is having a very early copy of a game, most assumably Halo.

Nothing of value was there, if you fuckers actually knew anything about emulation you wouldn't actually care.

>Even everyone on Reddit knew this shit was over the line.

PS2 emulator already had Def Jam FFNY and runs great.

Honestly I dont blame the guy, I would do the same thing because I am a selfish fuck, although ushering in a new age of Starcraft modding could possibly have been fulfilling aswell

Good luck trying to decompile anything from C/C++ compilers (SC was most likely written in C), what people typically do instead is disassemble (with IDA etc) to know what's happening in a few specific areas.

But he could have sold it for more than he got.

>It's not, people just want to be mad for no reason.
Nah, I would've loved to see Starcraft's source code, anyone interested in game development would want to see it.

What would happen if Todd got his hands on source-codes for non-Bethesda games?

>angry MegaMan.jpg

Fucking Gladius will never ever come to PC or ever get a sequel despite easily being a 9/10 game