Why do people pretend that YLOD was never a ting but somehow RRD was a like a 100% sure thing for every 360

Why do people pretend that YLOD was never a ting but somehow RRD was a like a 100% sure thing for every 360.
At lest on the 360 you have the option to replace the xclamp whit a more heat resistant one at any console repair shop.
This practically makes the console RRD immune.
PS3 on the other hand had no mod that could fix the shitty solder on the console at the time.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Qz2KS2PHlHc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

becuase no one owned a ps3 you dumb faggot

Am I suddenly back in 2007? Both were a huge deal, but RROD was more iconic because it happened more often.

It never happened to most people since PS3 has no games. Nobody had a reason to turn it on.

Couldn't you replace the thermal paste or upgrade the cooling somehow to make it YLOD-proof?

mine yellowed. i have shit luck with sony products but theyre the only ones i trust

youtu.be/Qz2KS2PHlHc

you honestly had to bake it in an oven

RROD happened more often, people would send in their Xbox, it would take a long turnaround time to come back, and in multiple cases it would still be broken after the so-called repair.

Microsoft's answer to this shit was releasing a new Xbox.

YLOD was never as big a deal as RROD because the latter happened to almost 20% of all units sold; and that was the number Microsoft themselves disclosed, which means it could have been much higher. I think the PS3 failure rate was about 3%-6%, which is still unusually high for a consumer electronic, but it's still nowhere near one in every five.

I remember using a heat gun to fix it, but about 2 months later it broke again, and just buying a slim a couple months later.

YLOD killed my first gen ps3 with backwards compatibility : (

It was during Dark Alliance, too

Same. Mine was from playing fucking FF13 of all things

this, had both systems since launch, had two RROD's, never any problems with my ps3, it still works

this.
i honestly believe they made those backward compatible ones break in an update intentionally.

YLOD killed 10% of consoles and wasn't a known issue before launch, the thermal paste dried quicker if the console was turned on/off a lot creating heat bubbles.

VS.

RRoD which killed 54% of 360s, was a known issue in debug kits before launch, wasn't even attempted to be fixed because MS didn't want to compromise the console design and wanted to launch before the PS3, so waited for smaller chips for THREE years, and on top of that MS paid people to shut up about the problem.

> (OP)
>Am I suddenly back in 2007? Both were a huge deal, but RROD was more iconic because it happened more often.

This, YYOD took much longer to happen. I remember going through 2 Xboxes (microsoft got it done in like 2 weeks for both) before I got one that lasted me till bone but I literally had 5 friends with PS3s that yellowed freshman year of college and they had their system for 3-4 years before. Sony wanted like +$150 to fix it too and from what I remember it took over a month.

rrod problem was ball grid array solder crack

replacing xclamp doesnt do shit

There probably isnt any working launch xbox 360 that works at this point, but there are still alot launch fat ps3's that are in working condition.

Thats why.

Because 360 had a bigger failure rate. It's as simple as that.

Cause this is sonygaf Jr and plus it happened far less than the RROD

>many articles have appeared in the media portraying the Xbox 360's failure rates,[3][4][5] with the latest estimate by warranty provider SquareTrade to be 23.7% in 2009,[6] and currently the highest estimate being 54.2% by a Game Informer survey.[7]

PS3fat wasn't a particularly reliable console but nowhere near as bad.

>here probably isnt any working launch xbox 360 that works at this point
This point is brought up several times, and I am intrigued: is this actualyl true? Does anyone here still have a working launch 360 from 2005?

I had my original model backwards compatible PS3 YLOD.
I had two 360s that got the RROD.

My Wii is still functional despite heavy use.

Nintendo wins.

>this is sonygaf Jr
Do you actually believe this? Sup Forums has a sizable chunk of Sonyfags, Nintendofags and PCfags. It's just that everyone is rightfully shitting on the Xbox.

YYOD was a longevity issue; ones over 2 years old usually ended up with it. You would be a fool to buy a used PS3. At least with Old 360s microsoft took care of you and eventually completely solved the issue.

>My Wii is still functional despite heavy use.
I once had to send in my Wii to fix the discdrive. I think that was because I kept it upright, which really wears on the discdrive. If you like your Wii, lay it down on its side.

I have one that I donated to a board game club. We play on it for a couple of hours about 3-4 times a month. The fan is loud as hell and the disc drive gets stuck sometimes otherwise it's fine.

YLOD was overblown by xbox and nintendo fanboys trying to stir console war shit.

How long had you owned the xbox's? You were probally still under warrenty whereas you friends wouldnt be 3-4 years into owning the ps3s

I remember the numbers being somewhere in the ball park of 16% at the lowest to about 33% at the highest; I remember 16% being the low threshold because those are the same odds as Russian Roulette. 54% seems way too high. Then again, although I never owned an Xbox, I never knew anyone who did own an Xbox that didn't have to send theirs in at least twice.

Because my 360 RRDed 3 (three!) times. Got it repaired twice for free, the third time was outside the warrenty period. I'll never buy another XBox system.

there is no actual proof out there, but its probably not far from the truth.

>is this actualyl true?
No. There are probably some still working, but the real question should be, how long before all launch 360s are dead?

Funny how theres always plenty of people to come shitting on Sony though. Some Sonygaf

is it a launch 360 or one of the later update ones?

I mean, my ps2 still works too. Makes sense your Wii would too

From what I remember Microsoft didn't have a set time for RROD, they just fixed it for you. (I think the lawsuit made them have to take them all back) My first was 6 months and my second was about a year and 2 months.

There is definitely more sonybros than anycunt else though. Don't get me wrong everyone rightfully gets shit on but Sony gets away with more on here.

Here's the easy answer
>PS3s were meant to last but heat flow fucked it
>PS3s are more easily serviced by sony
>PS3s generally hard better hardware quality (mobo, solder joints, shielding, casing, psu, etc)
>YLOD was a problem to only a small margin, noticeable but still small
whereas on 360
>360s were rushed, not meant to last
>360s had known heat issues by MS (and disc issues as a recent thing was about)
>360s didnt have good enough heatsinks
>360s hardware quality was cheap, so cheap we have a thing called "blue zephyr board" where it is literally a zephyr board, but made of a non-shit set of components
>360s were not easily serviced, were intended to be tossed eventually
>problem persisted with coming revisions til Jaspers hit, late in the lifetime of the system
>problems finally stopped at jasper and slim, damage was done and even jaspers were not wanted because "Fat 360s are RROD prone" so slim was used instead
>RROD issue was so bad that even dev systems were dead frequently during dev time
>affected essentially half of all 360s (that doesnt mean all RROD'd it just means that half are ready to get it at any time unless you care for it)

while im more in favor of sony but the issue is that MS didnt give a shit, went the cheapest route, didnt fix known issues, and as a result made a huge problem bigger., but at the same time they also made them cheaply so replacements were plentiful unlike sony's side

pic related. shit is the easiest thing to open up and close up

>buddy lost a 360 to the RROD
>I lost my PS3 to it
>Nearly lost my copy of PES because it was stuck in there, but the towel trick saved it
This slim model better not pull the same shit anons. Had that one since 2011 because the PSN hack netted me a free game (infamous).

slims have the issue but its so uncommon you may as well not worry. its like rrod on slim 360s. its possible but you really gotta wanna make it happen

My fat PS3 kicked the bucket to YLOD but it was 6 years after I first turned it on.

PS3SUX

How would I increase the chances? Just want to avoid that.
But thanks for the reassurance.

Because the rate of failure wasn't 70 fucking percent or so like with the RRoD, duh.

I disagree. Sony is shat on a great deal. Just like Nintendo. Or everyone else. I would personally even say Nintendo has the most good will from people on here (and I am a Nintendofag myself, mostly).

Whomever you think is shat on more depends on your own experience.

>somehow RRD was a like a 100% sure thing for every 360

That's because it fucking was. Of the 11 or 12 people i knew who had a 360, I dare say 9 of them had to return theirs because of the RROD. I personally had to return 2, it was pathetic.

I'd argue Xbone lads are shat on the least, just cause no one cares.

m an austist that has multiple ps3s, all with equal usage.

all you need to do is ensure its thermal compound isnt shit/dried and has airflow to keep it cool. one benefit of modding it is fan control, which i advise greatly. keep my fat's fan on 45% (which is really fucking high constantly and loud to boot) but it will never die no matter how much shit i put it through since im making an effort to maintain it.

>thermal compound
>airflow
>fan control
>stand it on its side, ventilation is better, heat rises
failure to do these could result in component failure, but on slims its not likely even with strain unless you block ventilation in full (please do not)

More r/gaming idiots, normies and vocal retards owned a 360, hence the meme.

>Buy Xbox360 because can't afford 499!!!! RIDGE RACER!!! GIANT ENEMY CRAB!!! console
>Get RROD
>Oh no, my gaming life is finished!
>Found out I can send it in
>The longest three week ever
>Get it back
>Feels good
>RODD again in a years time
>Repeat
>RODD fucking again
>Microsoft wont fix it this time
>Have friends completely ok with buying 2 to 3 Xbox360 consoles due to RROD

Fuck this. That was the last straw for me. Not only did that make me angry, but the Xbox was turning into a dudebro console and I was transitioning into a cute weeb boy. I'm fucking done with Microsoft. They have nothing to offer. Not to mention region locking.

>2013
>Xbox One reveal
>DRM
Kek, and that's the stamp I needed to make it official. Feels good being a SONY again.

Xbots are shat on the least because they are the smallest group. The Xbox brand however is shat on the most.

My brother literally had three RROD and I never heard of the YLOD untill much later

>3-6%
>Happened to me twice

What this guy says. I work in SMT and in orientation for ROHS they still make fun of Microsoft for switching to Lead-Free from Lead without doing the proper testing or changing the oven bake temps or whatever they fucked up and forgot to do to make sure that shit fuckin worked.

>switch to shit solderbeads
>dont test em
>gpu gets hot as fuck
>dont have good enough fan cooling
>dont have good enough gpu heatsink
>cpu heatsink is plenty enough
>could have just had 2 cpu heatsinks at the same time and potentially fix it
microsoft never ceases to amaze me

Why do people not care about this minor fuck up that killed 10% of PS3s, but care about a major fuck up MS knew about that killed 54% of 360s? Gee I wonder.

tell me your thoughts on the following image of an XeDK, what devs were given before Xenon boards were finished

Suuuure it did.
I reckon you never even owned a PS3.
Granted I had my 40gb PS3 get a YLOD then few months later I got a new slim PS3. Ran fine ever since.

only had it for a short while but i gotta say
>titan board
>inherently makes rrod happen
>but not an error rrod
>its an rrod every 3/4 boots (1-2-3, normal boot) to tell some shit to devs
>made me panic the first time i booted it
at least the case looks nice

Because most of the ps3s in the wild are slims which fixed the issue

I know about existence of YLOD, but I have never experienced it and don't know anyone who has.
Meanwhile, one old friend of mine had to change his 360 2-3 times in timespan of 3 years.

Because just over half of the consoles Microsoft sold failed.

because most YROD started to pop after 5 years while RROD were a common occurence after 1 year

Bought launch day ps3, still works like a charm.

Thanks bro.

I wonder what the percentage of effect consoles for each of those problems were?

you got it. thankfully im autistic
heres a ps3 devkit underneath an xbox (for size)
shit has the best cooling so far

We're comparing something that happened to 60% of the machines, with roughly 15%. Not to mention there were simply more 360s sold back then.

because friends who have had xbox 360s have gone through like 5 consoles

meanwhile i still have the same fat ps3 since 2008, not broken once.

Mine still works. Disc drive is fucked, but other then that, it's pretty good still.
But they unfucked there shit later, and there isn't region locking anymore, even on back compatible game, and they put a lot of the week trash from the JP store back compatible. MS has unJUSTed a lot of the policies from the "Kinect" era.

>Why do people pretend that YLOD was never a ting but somehow RRD was a like a 100% sure thing for every 360
Let me guess 'people pretending' means one post that left you butt befuddled.
Whenever anons discuss HW fuck ups both get always mentioned though YLOD usually to a lesser degree which is kind of understandable since it wasn't as widespread as RROD.
Theoretically. Best possible long term solution was re-balling with proper soldier, with lead, not the tree huger brittle but environmental friendly ROHS one.

Here's how it was last gen.

>Xbox
>Better online, multiplatform games, exclusives, controller, a party chat system, a cheap way to publish games digitally
>Broke like a nigger going for daily fried chicken

>PS3
>A pretty good Blu-ray player for the time, the worst first party controller since the Atari 5200
>Didn't really break as much as the other because who played anything in it other than inFamous 2? If you think you played anything else other than that, you are wrong.

>but theyre the only ones i trust
yeah sony is the most trustworthy, they'd never suffer a massive data breech or anything, certainly not twice
sony's a shitty company that takes shortcuts whenever possible. their gaming division is probably the least incompetent division; their movies and music divisions are just absolutely atrocious. they're also super fucking litigious and they're kind of assholes.
honestly microsoft's the big three gaming company i like the most right now. if you told me that i'd feel this way ten years ago, i'd have laughed, but ms has actually cleaned up their act and done a decent job lately imo.

Because of the rate that they happened you fucking dumb sped?

also

>ps3 exclusives

Don't you love The Emoji Movie bruh? Dude EMOJI RICCCCCKKK
Let's go and see uhhh Smurfs bruh? BURRRRRRPPPPPPP
DUDE DID YOU SEE THEY ARE REMAKING FLATLINERSSSSS

JUMANJI REMAKE FOR NO FUCKING REASON BRO
SLINDERMAN FILLLLLLLMMMMMM

There is not a single working launch 360 still in existence unless it's still sealed in its original box.

Many fat PS3s on the other hand still work.

Nope. Mine died 4 times. All of my friends' died at least once.

They were caused by the same exact issue you dingus.

you mean nintendo

>this years E3 for example

>from 2007 to 2009
>my uncle went through THREE (3) 360s, all RROD'd
>eventually he gets a 360 Elite
>even that one dies on him
>think to myself "Hah PS3 Masterrace"
>decide to shit on the 360 in some random forum
>everyone starts telling me about YLOD; I think they're making it up
>my PS3 gets YLOD a day later
>replacement PS3 gets YLOD too
Those niggers laid a curse on me.

You can't buy joblots of THOUSANDS of YLOD ps3s on ebay. you can find lots of ad's for thousands of RROD xboxs for pretty cheap

YLOD was an innocent flaw and only affected a small percentage of users, Xbox fanboys push it as a more serious issue because they're fanboys. RROD was a malicious and deliberate design flaw that affected many users just so Microsoft could push for cheaper components and a faster release date. Other companies would have been completely destroyed because of that.

>Xbox
>better online
so having to pay $50 a month to just use the internet is better? kek

I really appreciate the PS3's design. Just a shame they used cheap chinese assembly so pretty much all the best models of PS3 need to be disassembled, cleaned, and good thermal paste properly applied to them.

>the worst first party controller since the Atari 5200

>I was transitioning into a cute weeb boy.
i can't defend microsoft but holy shit what the fuck is this post even

he isn't wrong, post-kinect 360 was the worst system to own. the best games are always japanese.

>FOR NO FUCKING REASON
Are you retarded?
They want money, that's the main and often only reason.

I own and still have my original ps3. I bought a launch ps3. The only thing that ever broke was the disc spinning mechanism. It was quite fun popping open the ps3 to see what was broken. I had to take it into a pc repair shop and they didnt know what to do. I eventually just bought a replacement disc tray online and then did it myself.

>better controller
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

maintenance and repair of older hardware is honestly a lot of fun. It always makes me laugh when PC fags delude themselves that they are remotely proficient in these things when they've probably never even held a soldering iron.

this is what happens when you use solder without lead for gay environmental stuff. i wonder if brand new solders can hold without lead, did they come up with another formula?

I'd rather that than "PSN is down for 23 days and oopsies your CC info is fucked."

I was talking about the 360, but the Duke was great. Then again, I've been 6'5 since 1997, so I'm an outlier.
I hated the 5200. Just saying.

I wonder if anyone ever lost anything in that attack.

>implying that's Sony's fault
newsflash: Xbox got hacked as well

There also hasn't even been good weebshit on PlayStation since the early 360 era. If "he" likes Nep, "he" should fucking neck himself.

Xbox's biggest hack lasted for 24 hours and they didn't lose anyone's CC info. Now, I'm not just saying Microsoft has better servers, I'm 100℅ sure that Microsoft has a more secure platform than Sony. Do you remember how long it took PlayStation to get Two-Factor Authentication? 6 years into the Ps3. 2 years into the 360 for MS.