Why do people play shooters...

Why do people play shooters? I tried one for the first time recently and 95% of the time I just died from snipers or getting flanked and getting pumped full of lead before I can even retaliate. It just felt really uninteractive and unfun even when I was the one flanking.

WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE THINGS I DON'T LIKE

VALIDATE ME DADDY

MOM GIB MILKY

Get good retard
Saged

Getting good would just mean me flanking people and killing them before they can do anything though. Where's the fun in that?

Yes, this is more or less what I was asking. Do you not know why you enjoy playing shooters or something?

Because shooting things is fun. Because I like the direct control of the genre, as compared to something like a strategy game or RPG.

It sounds like you might be playing the wrong kind of shooter though OP, there are different types. Arena shooters with their high TTK and focus on mobility in direct confrontations might be more your style.

What kind of games do you normally play?

>What kind of games do you normally play?
Pretty much just tactical RPGs, VNs, card games, and Souls games which I guess are action RPGs.

A good question, OP. This warrants advice from the town sage.

If you play tactical RPGs and the Souls games then you know that it's probably not a great idea to confront an enemy head on, right? You ideally want the drop on them. It's the same in a shooter: you want to encounter enemies and start shooting before they have the opportunity to respond.

If that feels unfair, it's not really; since depending on the game they'll be back in a second or two, or the next round. And if you're annoyed at being the one on the receiving end, then the next counter to that is knowing your surroundings and where an enemy could sneak up on you from.

Also, it's funny to me that you describe shooters as uninteractive, when the genres you describe (tactical RPGs and card games) I usually have a problem with for the same reason. I dislike strategy games, RPGs with turn based combat, etc. because the combat is so abstracted and out of your hands that it isn't fun to me.
I love games where your buttons/keys directly map to actions; I want to press the button to fire the gun, not press a button to tell a person to fire the gun. That feels the most interactive to me personally.

>If you play tactical RPGs and the Souls games then you know that it's probably not a great idea to confront an enemy head on, right? You ideally want the drop on them. It's the same in a shooter: you want to encounter enemies and start shooting before they have the opportunity to respond.
The difference between those examples and shooters is that when I use those underhanded tactics it's either against NPCs or in souls game piss of the player I'm invading. In shooters it's just the way the game is played since bullets are so deadly and have so much range.
>If that feels unfair, it's not really; since depending on the game they'll be back in a second or two, or the next round. And if you're annoyed at being the one on the receiving end, then the next counter to that is knowing your surroundings and where an enemy could sneak up on you from.
Even then there's really only so much you can do. Even if you're always looking over your shoulder often times they'll just happen to turn the corner right when you looked away or you'll get killed from someone ahead of you that you didn't see since you're checking your flanks.

By interactive I meant more with the other players not the game or the controls. As an example of what I mean, in card games if I went first and used a combo that instantly won me the game before my opponent could act it would be considered uninteractive even if I used 30 cards from my deck. While if I used a deck that played a few cards at a time and did things to affect cards that I or my opponent played it would be considered interactive since we're both interacting with each other's cards.

> Not immediately good at a genre I've never played before
> It must be bad

This is how kiddies actually think these days.

>Ask why people like a type of game while explaining why I don't like
>"lel git gud, u only dnt loke it because ur bad xD"
Compelling agrument

Play Quake 3 against bots for a while. You'll get it.

Play Doom 1993 first

You don't like it because you're shit and need to git gud scrub lord, I bet you unironically browse Reddit too

splatoon is pretty good about letting you apply your personal play style, OP

This. Getting your shit pushed in 24/7 is never fun.

So you'd prefer more open confrontation with your opponent rather than rely on getting the drop. As I thought, something with a higher TTK might be better, so something like an arena shooter. Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament or Tribes. Unfortunately this style of shooter's out of fashion at the moment, I can't think of any current examples. Maybe Overwatch?

try the multiplayer

>You don't like it because you're shit and need to git gud scrub lord
Again, amazing argument.
>I bet you unironically browse Reddit too
Not only do I not browse Reddit, I've been using Sup Forums for over 12 years.

>Overwatch
DON'T

Quake Champions?

I'm obviously talking about the multiplayer since I'm pretty sure no shooter NPCs will ever flank you unless it's part of the story or something. Though I guess I could be wrong about that.

When your reason for liking it is explicitly linked to the fact that you haven't played it before and are bad at it, then yes, you don't like it because you're bad.

>VNs
>card games
jesus christ......

I like guns. And shooting dudes. I'm not really good at FPS but they have skill-based matchmaking nowadays so I can just play with baddies.

I mean, it's really primitive but I'm not exactly a complex person. Also, I prefer single-player shooters, what do you think about those?

Card games can be great.

t. quakedad

But you answered the question yourself. Multiplayer FPS is about coming up with routes through levels to out maneuver opponents and building muscle memory to capitalize on situational advantage. Some people like that.

I suck at fighting games and hate trying to memorize combos, but my head isn't so far up my own ass that I can't imagine people can't enjoy something about a genre that is a turn off for me.

You haven't played FEAR. Play FEAR.

It isn't though. It's linked to how the game plays by virtue of being a shooter. Like I said in another post that even if I was good, instead of being flanked and getting killed I would be flanking and getting easy kills, which seems about as fun as beating a blind man to death.

Oh yeah, I forgot that was a thing. Yeah, if that's anything like the earlier games then that might be more your style OP: higher health/lower ttk means encounters aren't just over in half a second, it's more about out maneuvering your opponent.

stop replying to this fucking idiot

It's either that or shitpost on the tens of copy pasted OPs.

>Someone doesn't like what I like! That must mean he's an idiot! ;_;
Okay dude.

I like hearing why other people dislike genres I'm into. I think it's valuable to reinforce that the way I think isn't the only way.

You could argue the same thing about MP games with stealth elements like MGO, that the best show of skill is killing your enemy without them ever seeing you coming. Those are still pretty fun, though. Is it just underhandedness you're against?

Did you play a 1v1 with only one gun enabled or something?

>Is it just underhandedness you're against?
I think it's that and the lethality of the underhandedness in particular. I might try the other shooter recommended in the thread since it sounds like it might be possible to survive being flanked and fight back.

>I've been using Sup Forums for over 12 years.
And still you act like the biggest newfag on page one.

Not even the guy you're replying to, but you actually just have a case of the gitguds. Your original post explicitly stated you got your ass handed to you and that you didn't enjoy that.

Sounds like you just don't know anything about the genre and are guessing there's nothing to it because just aren't aware of what's actually going on.

Good on you for considering those. I'll be honest, I tend to prefer the higher TTK games since I'm not that great, but getting the drop as you mentioned feels good to me.

>Your original post explicitly stated you got your ass handed to you and that you didn't enjoy that.
See >It just felt really uninteractive and unfun even when I was the one flanking.
>even when I was the one flanking.

I don't really like scary games to be honest.

FEAR's attempts at being scary are pretty pathetic.

its fun to turn your brain off and play things like paladins or quake 3 ffa

>Anime poster

wow what a pussy

>complaining about anime images on an anime imageboard

Not going to deny that. I think I just get too immersed and I can't handle it.

>Why do people like this thing I'm terrible at?
because they're not terrible at it like you
you've got a genre you're good at right?

Yeah, card games.

>It's another "anime poster is autistic/shit at video games" episode

oh boy, my favorite

Not him but I'm TERRIBLE at card games, and strategy games as well.

>Anti-anime autist thinks he's better than someone because he's an outsider
Oh joy

>I tried one
How about you actually say which one, you immeasurable faggot?

Titanfall 2

It's the government's fault.

What