2017 the year Mass Effect died and EVO babbies finally learned no one cares

What has been your favourite gaming moments this year so far Anons?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QHTYFQYUWjI
youtube.com/watch?v=vAhrRBKkxuQ
capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/salesdata.html
youtube.com/watch?v=AvN8MAocrQc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nintendo giving Metroid support.

A tie between the DBFZ reveals, Metroid actually coming out with a good game, and finally finding a game where you can have a character slut around and use slut powers to mind control people.

>DB Fighterz reveal
>the great night of shame when Capcom released the Abigail trailer alongside the other, better trailers of the evening
>Neir Automata BECOME AS GODS
>Project Octopath Traveler and what I've gotten to play of the demo so far which is only part of Olberic's path

Bethesda showing more support for a Nintendo system than Capcom is some upside down world tier shit.

Evo babies are having fun with the game though.
The game was a failure for capcom but a win for the actual fans since they got decent game plus now capcom will have no choice but give more effort in their next releases if they want to win over the casuals.

>if they want to win over the casuals.
If they really wanted to do that they would have looked to NRS's commercial success and how they got there, but nope both SFV and MVCI are unpolished turds on Day 1.

>Release SFV
>Bombs cause no story
>Put a lot of effort (Apparently) into the story and have it have a big focus in marketing for MvCI
>Bombs cause you completely drop the ball with the roster

If it was anyone else but Capcom, I'd feel bad.

I'm waiting for the next fighter to have incredible story and roster but they forget to have combos and abilities.

>the board that supposedly hates casuals doesn't care about gameplay
No, this does not make me think

The >It's got good gameplay! meme is overplayed. Gameplay wise it's about a 7/10

Not to mention the roster is a gameplay element.

>SFV launches
>no story, awful online, no lobbies
>game is the worst selling mainline SF game to date
>MvC:I launches
>god awful story mode, god awful roster, terrible DLC practices
>bombed completely on Steam but we don't know the PS4 numbers

Capcom really needs to stop making fighting games for awhile.

Some of us do, however some of us also care about effort and presentation put into other aspects of the game. MvC:I is a 7/10 in gameplay and a 3/10 everywhere else.

The funny thing is Capcom gets the hard part right, but fucks up everything that should just be common sense.

>Gameplay isn't important, it's all about waifus and pretty cutscenes!

Someone remind me why I still come here anymore

Gameplay is important you retard, but don't stand there and pretend MvC:I doesn't look like an unpolished turd that was thrown together in a year by interns on top of having a utterly shit roster. Hell, fucking half the reason people like Third Strike so much is because it's visually stunning for a sprite-based fighter.

Presenting an overall good package is the point. You can't have just gameplay and everything else being shit, that just can't fly in today's market. Similarly you can't just have frills and fluff and have shit gameplay. I don't know how many times this has to be explained to you people.

>the characters you play as aren't gameplay
>I'm okay with paying 60 dollars for a commerical

The Nintendo switch being the best handheld and home console ever made at the same time with only 2 games

Are you surprised? This is how children view video games now. As long as it looks pretty and has flashy cool cutscenes everyone will buy it. Just look at DBZ Fighters. A couple of entry cutscenes and special move cutscenes with dynamic camera and everyone is creaming their pants. Or look at games like TLOU, bad gameplay but a cinematic muh feels story. Meanwhile games with great gameplay will be relegated to niche players and never attain "greatness".

>it's all about waifus and pretty cutscenes!
It's not even about the characters for Capcom though. Characters are just functions, remember?

But judging by the backlash the game got, you'd think gameplay takes a backseat to graphics, and that's terrible. "It looks ugly" should not be enough reason to condemn the game and anyone who plays it.

>This burger patty might be burnt but if you purchase our special mayo, ketchup, and mustard separately it will taste better than the last burger you had that caused you to get food poisoning.

Capcuks truly are pathetic.

It's just cause that's the obvious first thing you see.

7/10 is considered a good score, ign

>Le epic food analogy!
This place died 3 years ago

The core fighting in MvC:I is fine, but a big part of a fighting game are the characters. If there's nobody you want to play as or every character feels samey then its shit.

>The state of Capshills

>yeah well you're dumb haha
So this is the rhetoric of someone who needs pretty scenery to enjoy a game

ME died in 2013 retard.

Yeah, because Street Fighter 2 had shit visuals, shit music, and shit characters right?

cuck

Just remember Tekken despite even Harada saying that it lives in the shadows of other games is factually the best selling Fighting franchise

Gameplay does not take a back seat to graphics, but presentation and polish is important and do not try and pretend it's not. MvC:I has more issues than just being "ugly" though it is indeed an extremely ugly game.

not him but im a super tourney fag who played 3rd strike and tekken competitively for like ten years. i think mvci is really fun. doing 150 hit combos with wall bounces and otgs and switching is really fun. but even i -- a fighting game fanatic that still plays old 2d games -- can admit that mvci looks like shit. the presentation is an absolute joke. i don't understand what they were thinking. they should have just fucked off the story mode (who gives a fuck what casual fags want from a fighter) and spent more time on the character models. holy fuck, it literally looks like a phone game.

game's fun as shit but anyone defending the graphics is delusional or shill-shoryukening themselves in the ass. game looks like complete shit.

>it is indeed an extremely ugly game.
what's with all these extremism towards mvci?

more like the game looks extremely passable. There is nothing inherently ugly in it during gameplay, it's just not as flashy as most other fighters.

I would be all over shitting on this game together with you if it indeed looked like a completely unenjoyable mess but it looks alright and a great gameplay and online easily compensates for it not looking as flashy as the other fighters with mediocre gameplay and shit online.

It has nothing to do with not being "flashy" enough. The animations and character models are fucking terrible, some of the worst I've ever seen. Just look at Chris' walk.

youtu.be/QHTYFQYUWjI

He said that in terms of the competitive scene. You're still right, though.

extremely passable is not acceptable for a Marvel Vs Capcom title

noone is defending the graphics but there is no need to overreact about how it looks

kof14 looks objectively shittier yet everyone started accepting it and defending the game because it offered decent content and gameplay.

The only reason you wouldn't do the same thing with MvCI is because you are too far into riding the anti-capcom bandwagon to notice it.

thing is the gameplay is not that great either.

everything devolves into:

Character 1 puts out multi-hitting special that locks opponent down, tag in to-
Character 2, mix up locked down opponent

Rinse, repeat

There's barely any chip damage in the game, and anyone can reflect projectiles with a pushblock, effectively making projectile characters useless against anyone not casual

It's a step down in every way from previous iterations.

Serious question Anons as someone that has never played a fighting game. Why the fuck are Capcom fans so easy to bait?

>Say to a MK fan your games shit their reply is "meh"
>Say to a Tekken fan your game is shit they reply "whatever"
>Say to a SF/MvC fan their game is shit and they are like REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

You realise mvc3 was Capcom's only big budget marvel title right? That game also flopped with selling even less copies than SFxT.

MvCi obviously got smaller budget yet it was for a logical reason, if the game isn't good enough for you that's completely understandable, but there is no reason for people to overreact about it this extremely much, most shitposters even spread bullshit about the game just to make others hate it.

Define "gameplay".

dude, i bought the game. i dont care about anti-capcom or whatever. the game is fun, but that's all there is. story mode is dogshit garbage, like all fighting game story modes. there is no customization, no fight money or anything like that. there are only ten stages, and they're all very dull and uninspired. this game isn't just visually poor from a technical standpoint, it's also poor from a design standpoint. the artist(s?) are AWFUL. they all -- without fail -- look decidedly worse than mvc3. how did they manage that? dante has become addicted to meth, and morrigan has been beaten with an ugly stick.

this game offers decent gameplay, but nothing else. not content. not characters(roster sucks assholes). not visuals. not music. nothing.

netcode is good. doing combos is good. that's it. everything else is laughably bad.

youtube.com/watch?v=vAhrRBKkxuQ

low budget doesn't really explain some of the oddities like this

i don't really see an overreaction

An analogy is an analogy, don't be the bitch that can't get the point of the statement and the accompanying analogy that makes it even easier for you to understand.

What crack are you smoking? MvC3 definitely sold more than SFxT.

It wasn't even a good analogy, a burnt patty will probably kill you. This isn't comparable to subpar graphics.

please ignore the blabbering retard who obviously loves mvci and hates umvc3 because it was too hard for him.

LOOK INTO MY EYES! Then does fucking nothing.

>Character 1 puts out multi-hitting special that locks opponent down, tag in to- Character 2, mix up locked down opponent
even with a team oriented around this strategy, only like 1/10 of the matches are spent with this strategy. It's not like in MvC3 where it was land a hit after 2 seconds of neutral then keep spamming an infinite for a minute, then catch the next character who pops in in a perfect 50/50 mixup and if you are lucky keep continuing it.

in most situations you can avoid even getting into a locked down situation or use counter switch to stop the enemy

>and anyone can reflect projectiles with a pushblock, effectively making projectile characters useless against anyone not casual
projectile heavy characters shoot way too much hits to nullify it with a pushblock. It's true that thx to the low chip damage just spamming soul fist is not that efficent anymore but it's not definitely for the worse.

Its cool user we know. We are immune to MvCi fans by now.

not him but SFxT sold 1.9m copies, not 0.8

MvC3 might sold more but it's still very close to 2m which is still fairly low for both games.

capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/salesdata.html

The further decline of western trash as Japan enjoys a resurgence.

People care more about shitting on a company they don't like than actual fun gameplay
Why

mvc3 offered one of the worst online I've ever experienced with fighting game and while the gameplay was fun at the beggining it quickly developed a cancerous meta because of how broken the game was.

I seriously can't beleave all the "fans" don't realise how good it is that we can finally play an mvc with smooth online and better gameplay. I'm not even saying I wasn't let down with the lack of visual improvements and I would probably also shittalk about it a lot more if people wouldn't so extremely overreact about it already.

pc port of umvc3 is best port.

MK fans are casuals who don't give too much shit about fighting games in the first place
Tekken fags get triggered just as much if they are attacked, it's more about how only SFV/MvCI got shittalking so you only saw their raging fans.

> DBFZ Reveal
> Geese Howard in Tekken 7

>even with a team oriented around this strategy, only like 1/10 of the matches are spent with this strategy.

I've been watching the recent tournaments and this is definitely more than "1/10".

>It's not like in MvC3 where it was land a hit after 2 seconds of neutral then keep spamming an infinite for a minute, then catch the next character who pops in in a perfect 50/50 mixup and if you are lucky keep continuing it.

Fair.

>in most situations you can avoid even getting into a locked down situation or use counter switch to stop the enemy

By your logic, this can be applied to your previous point. And if you have 2 meters, sure.

You are naive if you think there are not going to be broken characters/setups. Look at Dorm ffs

it literally looks worse than its previous iteration made on last gen consoles

don't forget that judging by Capcom's new business modell and the whole e-sport meme, it is very likely that they will patch the game with the seasons like in SFV isntead of saving balance patches for a new "superior version" like in the case of sf4/mvc3

that probably won't change the lockdown fishing gameplay but they will fix the really broken characters

Honestly I only didn't buy it because the roster is fucking trash, especially since characters are being held back for DLC to pad it out.

>pandering to tourneyfags and expecting success in any way

too bad they didn't even attempt to fix the terrible netplay and only released it as a cash grab

>they finally add my favorite megaman
>looks like it's made of plastic
>his "function" is utter shit and makes him fight like regular megaman (fucking slide are you kidding, that's a classic move, X uses dashes"
it's like monkey pawn shit man

>kof14 looks objectively shittier
but it also has a great roster. And it also failed. Not a good point to use to defend your game m8

i'll believe it when i see it.

the only thing i see now is dlc characters behind a paywall that clearly have more polish put into them than 3/4ths of the cast

>slut game
What game?

Octopath

thanks

mvc3 didn't exactly had well designed visuals from a game design standpoint tho

The forced black shading on the characters along with the overly dark backgrounds just made the already badly optimized stages even more broken. Why do you think the only stage people play is the bonne one? The "comic book styled" effects and visuals also just made the already chaotic gameplay look even more of a mess. MvCI's artstyle might look more "plain" but that also leads to a better visual indication.

Don't wanna sound like this overweights that the game looks meh, but it also shouldn't be completely overlooked.

Why should I give Capcom a pass for decent gameplay and terrible everything else when there are other fighting games out there that give me both without fucking up?

Name one fighting game with a good story, graphics, game modes, online, roster, and gamplay

Tekken 7

>The "comic book styled" effects and visuals also just made the already chaotic gameplay look even more of a mess.

0/10 apply yourself

Fucking Injustice if I am a normie

why do people give a fuck about story in a fighting game

>that give me both without fucking up

name a fighter with great online+gameplay+graphics/presentation

the problem is that you can't, this perfect fighting game just doesn't exist, but even if it did, it's not like you couldn't try out other games with different experiences.

>good story
>good online

>good gameplay

Not an argument

>shit online
>copy pasted gameplay from previous tekkens
I won't even note the story because I don't think it worths mentioning for a fighter in the first place

I honestly still don't get it user. But some people find it fun to buy a game on launch, run through arcade mode a few times and then forget it exists until the sequel comes out.

dead or alive

>NRS gameplay
>good
the story/visuals are pretty sweet tho. They are the perfect games for fucking around with your friends.

Xrd has most of those, although I'll give you that the online is potentially shit if you're playing someone outside your region.

GG/UNI[st]

the overly exeggerated hitstun effects with their huge ass contrast is real. That's what I meant with "comic book styled effect".

if you seriously think mvc3 has better visual indication even with just 2-2 characters you don't know shit about game design.

Hey man IJ2 is has great gameplay

Yeah, capcbros kept shitting on KOFXIV for looking like shit, now MvC:I is ugly, already with DLC bullshit and has a shit roster;
>"but muh gameplay and CREATIVE combos"

They deserve this.

XRD and Arcana Hearts 3.

>Story
>AH3
>Let's just go to the hotsprings
Let's not kid ourselves user, there was no story

MvCI does not appeal to the average motherfucker with its roster or visuals. Gameplay fags are already hip deep in whatever fighter they gave a shit about beforehand and will move on from Infinite in a month.

I get what they were going for with the penance stare but even MvC3 tried to make having him look at you be a bit dramatic.

youtube.com/watch?v=AvN8MAocrQc

Stuff like this is what pisses people off the most. It's so low effort. Like Marvel and Capcom knew people would buy a new MvC game no matter what so why bother trying at all?

Remember when Combofiend was a good guy who did cool comebacks with Spencer in MvC3?

>kof14 looks objectively shittier yet everyone started accepting it and defending the game because it offered decent CONTENT and gameplay.
Guess which MvC:I's standard (without having to purchase DLC) release is lacking.

This is probably why it's so funny to me. FGCucks shit endlessly on KoFXIV for its visuals when gameplay wise it's the best KoF in years. Now that MvC:I looks like utter dogshit suddenly graphics don't matter.

But MvC3 does have better visual indication than MvCI and Capcom understood both franchises. Marvel in its heart is a comic book property and the bright colors and flashy effects were very reminiscent of the comic books in general and outside of a few Capcom franchises, their games are usually bright and colorful, if not, then flashy too.
I'll bring you to Nemesis for example. His blocking animation is him standing still. IF you have both games on mute, its easier visually to tell Nemesis is blocking in MvC3 than it is in MvCI because of the whole effects. MvCI adopted the MCU look and since the game is fast pace and more "realistic" looking and the effects aren't as much it can be harder to tell what actions you are doing. That's why most fighting games are typically flashy and colorful because the visual aspect aids the gameplay aspect. That's why the Tekken series has very distinct visuals for when a hit is blocked and a hit actually connects.
Yes we have some fighters that aren't flashy and colorful, like Netherealms games, but even they understand visual importance as all the characters have a variation of blocking animation, which is arms cross or covering their face. MvC series (and Capcom fighters in general) have unorthodox blocking animations, and in a game where you're flying around shooting loads of projectiles, where characters can literally be off screen at any moment, something like effect need to be exaggerated, and if they're not, then it becomes harder to actually know what to do in a match.

This.

KOFXIV
>Like 50 playable characters (including several fan favorites) without counting DLC ones which got announced later
>Subpar graphics but it's understandable due SNK's weak financial condition
>Humble PR

MvC:I
>Less characters (and a lack of several fan favorites due Marvel's fight with Fox for X-Men's movie rights), DLC since day 0
>Subpar graphics... in a supossedly AAA title from one of the BIGGEST japanese publishers
>Arrogant anti-consumer PR