Square Enix - "Focus More on Multiplayer and Service Games Going Forward"

It's over.

Square Enix are going the way of Konami and Western devs.

Press "S" to spit on grave.

pushsquare.com/news/2017/09/square_enix_wants_to_focus_more_on_multiplayer_and_service_games_going_forward

>"Gone are the days in which single-player games were of primary status and multiplayer games secondary. Lately, multiplayer games have taken the lead, and it is standard for games to be designed for long-term play," reads Square Enix's 2017 annual report.

>"We will also endeavor to develop games designed not to be played once after launch but that customers can enjoy more and play longer. In so doing, we will increase customer satisfaction and enhance the lifetime value of the games themselves," the report continues.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JUURZPqGZ1s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This was obvious given the focus given to Deus Ex

>We will also endeavor to develop games designed not to be played once after launch but that customers can enjoy more and play longer.
So f2p mobilegames with microtransaction scamming?

I have been saying this for a while because it's fucking obvious

FFXV is gonna be milked for a couple more years, FF7R will be the FF of Gen 9, it aint coming this gen & we aint getting multiple FF's a gen anymore

Are we gonna pretend this was the turning point now when Square Enix has been shit since forever?

/thread

It's more the fact that they're mentioning it in their annual report, setting up their intentions going forward. It's one thing to experiment with F2P/Microtransaction shit, it's another to state that this is the plan going forward in a report to your shareholders.

Just give me my dragon quest and put out KH3 so I can be done with you square

He was right.

I can't imagine HZD was profitable for Sony with it's massive budget & only 3mil sold

Sad thing is AAA single player games are on their way out

>put out KH3 so I can be done with you
This. Dropped.

Disgusting. S.

Man, I just want the old Square that made some amazing, deep, and fun RPGs back. Whatever happened to them?

Squaresoft has been dead for over a decade.

They already did it for awhile, just minus the interview. It's just no one really pay attention to what they did in the past few years.

The actual people who made the games you loved broke up into a bunch of different teams that are no longer part of the company.

Occasionally those that remain turn out a game that's a little similar, like the team that did Bravely Default and are now doing Octopath Traveler, or the guys who made SaGa: Scarlet Grace (western release never) but they're a minority of the employees and those projects aren't a focus for the company.

Why are japanese companies so fucking retarded?

Translation
"We saw the amount of cash that games like CSGO, LoL, Rainbow6 or Pubg were making, we need to do the same.

Multiplayer only games is a very risky gamble. EA Battlefront and Titanfall both learned this and added single player in their sequels.

Games like Overwatch and PUBG are anomalies.

They were over long before this.

Square has always tacked on online multiplayer they have been doing this shit since the Ps2 whats your point user?

>OMG my offline single player game might have OPTIONAL online multiplayer the sky is fucking falling *wails about like Kermit*

More options are good kill yourself.

At some point, there is going to be so many multiplayer games, each with their own shitty inventories and loot crates and all that garbage, that the audience will be restricted to a few big games.

I'm tired of AAA
Bring back AA

user, we're already past that point. it's the reason the MMO market looks like it does.

There's plenty of AA games you don't buy for the most pretentious reasons.

Ok
Like?

youtube.com/watch?v=JUURZPqGZ1s

Steam greenlight

Square Enix has never made good games in the first place.

Honestly, same can be said about MMOs and mobages. While 90% of cash comes from less than 5% of the playerbase, other companies just see crazy big numbers, gets jelly as fuck, and start copying it like mad, hoping that their blind attempts will reveal to them the secret to create immortal cash cows.

Just focus on Mobage, SE.

I'm not surprised considering that Square Enix biggest money makers have been multiplayer based games. FFXI, FFXIV, Dragon Quest X, all the mobile shit they churn out.

S.

If this recent change was due to PUBG does that mean SE literally decided their future based on a game that only came out like a few months ago but reached 10 million sales due to Xbox having their first new wonder game in a generation?
I see PUBG as Xbox's Rocket League.

Good luck trying to find a niche like those SE.

Are you fucking serious or you don't actually know what AA or AAA even means?

I am fucking serious

Multiplayer games have been SE's main gold mines for years, FFXI is the most lucrative FF game ever made. It have nothing to do with PUBG.

Then you don't actually want AA games if you don't even know about the ones that's been released or upcoming.

>If this recent change was due to PUBG
It's not only PUBG. Overwatch, Destiny 2, Rocket league etc Also most Single player game today have at least a mutltiplayer mode.

Ok then

>Are you fucking serious or you don't actually know what AA or AAA even means?
Of course, they are battery sizes.

Your post still isn't a list of recommendations faggot

Don't these companies realize that only a very small amount of games will ever reach a long lasting fanbase of that size?

That's because he probably doesn't know any, and still wants to feel superior.

rekt

Ok, I'm not playing those kind of games, so fuck them.

Of course not, they just see big numbers and try their best to figure out the magical formula but releasing a shitton of clones. That is how MMO as a genre got fucked beyond repair.

This industry needs a hard ET reset again, please.

They tried with Sonic '06. It became a platinum hit on Xbox 360.

>>"We will also endeavor to develop games designed not to be played once after launch but that customers can enjoy more and play longer.

FF threads are kill. you fags are so o b s e s s e d you can't keep from talking shit. and all that endless fucking fanfic about nomura vs tabata vs toriyama as if it's not everything management incompetence.

XV sold well, Nier 3 is coming, KH3 looks great, steam is replacing xbox. yeah of course they should make it so people keep coming back to their games like what they are doing with XV time events.

Piracy is probably why.

They saw how Blizzard avoid piracy with "everything online". It's clearly the way forward - at least on PC; on console it's not really up to them as it is up to Sony and Microsoft.

Holy shit

If they gonna focus on mutiplayer how about they make a new FF: Crystal Chronicles for Switch?

Jesus the Switch would be a perfect system for that type of game.

That's why Sega never bothered trying. The games still sold stupid numbers anyway based entirely on brand awareness.

saw this coming a mile away ever since titanfall hit the shelves. Im pretty sure by the end of 2020, single player AAA games are most likely to be extinct. Sony and her subsidiaries will be done with story driven titles as their focus and open up to more multiplayer service, Bethesda will likely add co-op to all their shit and finally CDPR would just have to eat dirt if they are gonna continue their single player route or get bought out by some bloke or trying to squeeze in as many demographic into a game that it wont feel like a niche game anymore

>Piracy is probably why.

another user baited by misleading OP Square is easily the best jpan dev this gen. the report is not changing anything we didnt know.

>they killed deus ex because microtransactions and cutting it up piecemeal to gouge consumers for dlc and a second game made it unpopular and unprofitable

>they learned nothing and will try the same with every other franchise

Like I said years ago, why even make singleplayer games. We know multiplayer games have replayability and longevity, not only that micros create more money.

>Lately, multiplayer games have taken the lead,
>2017 report
Are all Squeenix annual reports 10 years behind the industry? Seriously, where were they when CoD was fucking everyone's asshole at the holiday release window every year?

Are you saying CoD is a singleplayer game?

does this mean they'll start focusing more on XIV? Or are they just going to milk it like usual and sue the money it gets to fund it's other projects?

No. I'm saying multiplayer games took the lead 10 years ago. CoD was one of the games that set this off

Ace Attorney

If they are, the least they could do is give XIV a graphical overhaul with better character models and physics.

>So f2p mobilegames with microtransaction scamming?
in the perspective of AAA industry, it more likely means
>episodic content
>online drm
>more microtransactions-dlcs
>multipayer and social focus
or at least that's what I associate with a service model

CDPR won't need to change, they'll fill a niche that every other dev will have left behind. With no competition they can thrive and still deliver single player focused games.

The fact that there were ANY SE fanboys that existed in the last several years baffles me. They have always been this fucking awful, only when they shove it in your fucking faces do you finally wake up. Fucking idiots.

SSSSSSS

>they learned nothing

Pretty sure they learned that they've made a profit and will repeat the process. You think it was a mistake or accident?

THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS THIS IS WHY PIRACY EXISTS

The biggest problem with this is finding an audience. Way too many games are going the route of being a service instead of a product. For the people who enjoy spending time on one game for years on end, why would they pick up a new game? I understand the appeal of making games like this, but this isn't sustainable.

Theyre only following the superior westerners.

Good. About fucking time.

Maybe now you morons will quit supporting this shitty company and we can all move on with our lives.

So falls another great company. At the very end, only Falcom remains.

gameplay looks like shit desu senpai

DUDE OVERWATCH LMAO

>great

not for the past 10 years

The list of publishers I don't buy from gains another entry.

Better models are unlikely. Way too much work, way too risky - changing PC models in MMOs is super risky as players are used to their avatars looking the way they do.

Graphics and Physics? I hope so. Maybe they can port some of the Gameworks stuff from the PC version of FFXV - the FFXIV engine is based of the Luminous Engine.

Reminder that OPs tittle is bullshit and SE didn't actually say multiplayer service games are their priority.

Also is it just my or are captchas 10x times worse today? posting is basically impossible.

Given the state of the company, it will be a miracle if they ever ship anything again.

That's actually a brilliant idea.

Because why would I ever buy a $60 game that is filled with to the brim with micro-transactions that completely breaks multi-player when I can play a free-to-play games that is filled with micro-transactions that can also help other players by putting your overpowered characters as a friend.

;)

multi-player games are dead and we are to blame