Will we ever see the like of City of Heroes ever again?

Will we ever see the like of City of Heroes ever again?

Other urls found in this thread:

r0k.us/rock/games/CoH/HallsOfHeroes/
paragonwiki.com/wiki/Water_Blast
youtube.com/watch?v=PURli73qfl8
youtube.com/watch?v=FPijJjOnLbY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It looks like paragon chat is going to slowly revive the game.

>to this day, no one's made a single player open world game where you can create your own character, give him a backstory/origin, powers, costume, etc. and define yourself as either a hero or a villain depending on the shit you do in the city
>can even end up having your own customisable secret lair/sanctum underground, in the sea, in the air or in space

How is that going to happen? I thought Paragon Chat was just create a costume and fly about. There's no gameplay last I checked.

Probably not.
There's two fan games. The one is dead officially and the other is Titan.

Project Titan still updates but it's like twice a year to announce they have running animations or something simple completed.

I vowed to never buy a NCsoft game again after they canceled this profitable game then didn't let Paragon take the rights to they could run it.

All so they could resurrect Stateman's corpse and put him in a shitty MOBA in 2017

>All so they could resurrect Stateman's corpse and put him in a shitty MOBA in 2017
Wow. I didn't realise this. The fucking cheek of NCsoft to do that

>There's two fan games. The one is dead officially and the other is Titan.

As far as I know, City of Titans, Valiance Online, and Ship of Heroes are all still alive.

If you are older than 15 and know anything about video game development you know how much work and risk that would be

>tfw they did the same to your waifu
dreadful company

Holy fuck I didn't even know they've been adding more CoX characters.

Ghost Widow was my fucking favorite, man.
Fuck them.

They all look like garbage and will take years and years to complete.

Plus they'll have no community. No one wants to play what is essentially an indie MMO

It wasn't profitable dude. Only people in the US played it and NCsoft isn't a US company. They had to cut their losses with it.

They could have sold the licence instead of holding on to it and doing LITERALLY nothing with it.

It was costing them no money. It was making them money. Doesn't matter if it was only profitable in the US.

I mean shit, it was probably their only profitable US/UK game at the time.

It's no excuse to hoard the license.

MXM is a failing game already.

Imagine you're at GookHQ and you're holding up your quarter earnings to the shareholders, you're going to have to explain why you're holding on to something that's only worth having in one area every time. They're just not going to buy it, and they didn't. When you look at how successful all the other things they had at the time were going like Aion etc, which were huge where the company was based, it's pretty clear why they cut it off. Probably said "Why dont we just make another new IP with those resources and have another Aion".

Obviously it didnt work out. But that's why, and I think everyone missing Atlas Park knows it.

Any company would hold on to anything that made any money at all, just in case. They hoard that shit. Last thing any company wants is someone making money off their shit when they could be making it.

Who /mastermind/ here?

No, we won't. Champions is pretty ass.

YEAH BOI

I fucking miss my robots.

r0k.us/rock/games/CoH/HallsOfHeroes/

;_;7

They were so cute.

Yes we will and did. Cryptic made a shit MMO called City of Heroes the followed it up with another shit one called Champions Online. Then the made CoH Star Trek edition and CoH Neverwinter edition and they are in the middle of making CoH Magic the Gathering edition.

Thats like 4 games just as shit as CoH and made by the same shitty devs.

So they made a bad business decision out of ignorance/hubris and this is somehow justification for intentionally fucking over a profitable and loyal portion of their consumers, who will never buy an NCSoft product again?

Don't forget:

>Paragon Studios had content pretty much ready to go for the next patch, adding new themed auxiliary pools and primary sets as well as story/endgame content
>NCSoft had already paid the developers for the work and time it took to develop this content
>Instead of releasing this content and putting the game on maintenance mode, where it could continue to generate cash shop revenue at little to no cost to the company, they chose to shutter the game completely and close the cash shop immediately

They're a bunch of dumbfuck gooks who assumed all their CoH players would just buy the next MMO they released and keep mindlessly grinding because that's how gook culture works. Any western player at the time could have told you this was a retarded idea. Now they're trying to get into the MOBA fad years too late, after every ounce of profit has been sucked out of the concept already. Just admit it. Their company is run by idiots.

You can keep your dumb reddit image and dumb reddit opinion to yourself, thanks.

I never said they weren't fucking stupid, user. I just said you can see the decision making process.

>tfw getting to level 50 and earning your epic archetype before they made it easy
Those were the days. I miss my squid

Kheldians were what motivated me to finally make the push to hit 50 on my main. I didn't even end up playing them, I just wanted to be able to make one.

Its true though plenty of shit Cryptic follow ups. Its not opinion it actually happened. The funniest part is Champions Online has survived longer than CoH did and that game is actually worse.

If City of Rogues had come out 2-3 years before it actually did, we'd still be playing this.

Instead they released the expansion everyone wanted after most people had given up waiting and moved on.

If only they waited a few years for consoles, they'd be raking in the money now

You can say what you want about the games they made after CoX, but CoX was objectively a great game. Just because you didn't play it during its peak doesn't mean it's not true.

Fuck it was so cool running around as a giant alien Rhino

They were just fun even though they were incredibly weak, but like you said the joy of them was that you earnt them.

Your post would have been correct if you said that their follow ups were "editions" of Champions, which they basically are. CoH and Champions were really nothing alike in any respect except the most basic concept, and the people who made CoH good didn't have anything to do with the development of Champions.

How IS Champions?

I played it at launch and hated it.

Unequivocally the worst MMO I've ever played. It barely even functions as a game. The only thing you can really do in it is make costumes, and even then, the dogshit art style mostly ruins it.

Still just as shit and incredibly empty and devoid of content unless you're willing to pay

NCSoft ALWAYS was kind of dick about City of Heroes.

Did no one else remember that when the game was announced to be shut down NCsoft also said: "oh, by the way! here's Blade and Soul, an MMO we're really trying to push for Western relase and now that city of heroes is gone, surely you'll play this to fill the void!"

As City of Titans goes, it looks fairly promising and they do post updates decently often. Release was moved back to 2018, but they've got world space, basic animations, and character creator mostly together

Big things they seem to be working with now are writing/programming content, filling out powersets, and filling out the initial release of costume pieces.

Oh, and probably AI programming. I have no idea where they are on that.

Thugs were probably the most powerful minions, just because of their ridiculous stacking on teams, but robots remained my favorite.

Though, if I could have done a pick-and-choose for a mastermind set, I would have had: Merc Minions, Jounin LT, and Assault Bot boss.

Basically to embody the stereotypical progression of a villain's minions (basic grunt soldiers, elite assassins, and THE ULTIMATE WEAPON!)

I have NO idea how CoH could have worked on Consoles.

Actually I distinctly recall more than a few forum discussions about how that might work.

Also, I reiterate my obligatory rant in any City of Heroes post-mortem discussion: I WANT MY FUCKING SUSHI BAR BACK!

So, who wants me to post my own autistic idea about how I would do a CoH game? Or at least the story aspect to one.

post away autismo

>tfw Looking Glass knew that EA would try to milk the shit out of System Shock so they made it impossible for them to actually get the full rights

Too good for this world.

>So, who wants me to post my own autistic idea about how I would do a CoH game? Or at least the story aspect to one.

Go for it nigga.

I'm really suprirsed there is no push for a sandbox superhero mmo. DCUO is boring as well which doesnt help

>DCUO adds a water powerset, which no other superhero MMO had
I'm actually considering playing DCUO again, just for that.

They finally added it? I thought that would never happen

paragonwiki.com/wiki/Water_Blast

CoH had it, for the last 6 months of its existence. I was actually planning to buy it the day they announced the game was being shut down. They closed the cash shop that day, so I couldn't even spend the game's last weeks playing the character I had planned.

Well that's a shame.

I've always wanted to make a Surfer Dude superhero and I was finally going to get my chance.

Until the gooks ruined it

well, crap, now I'm a little overwhelmed where to start, so i'll just ramble on some quest mechanics:

My idea would be that the player has access to many sources for quests, ranging from doing a semi-regular zone event (like stopping a heist by a particular gang), fighting random dudes, regular quest givers, and even from other players! (which will be covered later)

Upon getting a mission, you'll have about two to even four major objectives to complete, you're not going to be able to complete all of them.

There will also be multiple hidden objectives like disabling/turning security systems against hostiles, rescuing a few key hostages, a hidden clue, and/or clearing the location of all hostiles.

Completing some hidden objectives without meeting certain criteria will change certain things in the next mission up the line. (like if you took the time to defeat all the cultists in the cave, this will set a circumstance on the algorithm saying 'you took too long' and the cult leader escaped from the next location)

To make matters more difficult, at the end of some missions, you'll receive a branching portion where the badguy is preparing to flee, but his gang, in another location is going to torch the kitten nun orphanage. You know if Not!Joker escapes he'll kill more people but you can't let people die! What do you do?

(cont.)

gimmie the story m8
How would you continue the storyline?

Where was the actual storyline left off at when it closed down?

I think I stopped playing around the death of Statesman.

It seems overwhelming, but this is a motherfucking MMO! you have friends and allies both player and non-player alike!

Once-per mission, you can call up one of your contacts to help lend you some kind of hand. A superhero contact will accompany you (artificially adding to the Teammate number without affecting teammate cap), or a hacker will remotely assist you in dealing with security, a gadgeteer might give you a really really kickass temporary power. And not just that, but at the end when you're told to choose between catching the badguy or saving the day, YOU DON'T HAVE TO. You just call up Not!Captain America on the phone to clothesline Discount!Joker while you save the orphans.

But what can players do for you? Well, when you have teammates, the game would detect this and certain perimeters would change (for example, if you went and defeated all badguys and had a friend with you, the game would assume 'two are faster than one' and you'd still have time to catch the crook), but also you and your teammates could split off and meet back up throughout the mission to deal with different objectives at the same time. Or worktogether to blow through single objectives faste r (or something, I'm still working out the details)

And when all's said and done and you have that split choice once more, it doesn't HAVE to be a NPC contact you sic on them.

No, you can even go through your friends list and tell them "you're closer to the kitten nun orphanage! can you please help them!" when your friend accepts, good ending unlocked!

But the best part? Doesn't have to be a heroic friend. Maybe you know a villain who has a bone to pick with a rival! you can send kicking Discount!Joker's ass to a friend and, as Sun Tzu once said "sit on the mountain and watch the tigers fight."

There's a whole lot of shit here that needs to be refined, but I was hoping to try to build mission structures that encouraged teaming and made contacts more than simple questgivers.

That sounds pretty sweet user. love the idea of pulling in "crossover" characters from your friends list.

GOAT cinematic
youtube.com/watch?v=PURli73qfl8

Ah, well, this is actually ideas for my own MMO, but I think if I were given control of City of, I might actually roll things back and start from the beginning in a sort of Reboot, probably try to give various NPCs more favorable 'screentime' so the player can actually invest in them a bit more.

I mean, it's weird, but for a long time when I first started playing City of, Statesman was a "literally who?" I thought he was an allegory to the player character and their prospects, but for someone so important he only really appeared a few times in the original heroside.

I mean I don't want to shove signature NPCs down the player's throat, but something more to show the Freedom Phalanx as not just jobbers and assholes.

Also probably readjust the beginning storylines, change a few aspects of the lore (for example, the war wall around Atlas is instead a huge bubble shield and was originally made by Positron to protect the city from... Well, something like the Rikti and it actually worked fairly well throughout the war) and I also say this because Iiked the different origin stories for heroes having their own starting contacts, maybe give them starting storyarcs, similar with villains but adjust to goals a villain might have?

I liked how much CoH focused on your hero's story, DCUO just feels like you're a sidekick to one of the licensed characters who they want to put on your screen as much as possible.

nostalgiacucks need to be gassed. it wasnt a fucking good game. it was a shit mmo with nothing to do except combat that was mediocre at best

But user, that describes every MMO.

Thanks.

another thing I forgot to note is that, while I've come to accept 'grind' is inevitable for any MMO, I do have ideas to try to reduce the grind.

For example, only a handful of 'major, epic story arcs and task forces' would remain constant content.

But others would actually shift around based on certain times of the year and so forth. (if you started a storyarc before the shift, you could still complete it). For example, the Black Cats Gang is hitting hard during the Winter season because of various Holiday charities means there's lots of high priced items up for display to loot, but in the summertime, the gaggle of gangster girls prefer to instead either work off their jailtime or go on vacation, what but the Imp Street Infernos just go a hold of a magical artifact that allows them to tap into the full heat of summer and surge in activity creating new story opportunities.

The trick is that while missions can boil down to the same in any MMO, a little set dressing, different text fluffs, and a different opponent can make a world of difference in feeling fresh.

A warehouse can be a warehouse, but with a some shelves and conveyer belts cleared out as part of an interchangeable asset system, you throw down some mats and weapon racks and it becomes a dojo for an evil kung fu cult. You keep the industrial aspects and add plenty of gun racks, a target range, and a few parked military vehicles and it's a merc hideout, and so on.

Yeah dude, your month-long experience with the game on launch is completely indicative of how good it was after two expansions and a shit-ton of patches that added content.

fair enough, I suppose really I'd just want to polish things up from a fresh slate, maybe tweak the lore, and give players access to better written and done content early on without funneling them into a single point.

I would also probably retcon a few looks/powers, like BAB being a willpower/street justice tank and maybe give Statesman some shield powers (since he was fond of Greek Phalanx, not to mention it could lend him some 'support powers' to better compliment that he's supposed to be a leader)

Also, I might have Nemesis faction take just a few cues from Columbia in Bioshock Infinite. (among other adjustments to enemy factions. Longbow would be looking into a total reboot starting with villains fighting non-aggressive relief workers who are just trying to defend themselves from you with nothing more than a knife and a flare gun and slowly they escalate until you find out they've begun making deals with Malta to get titan technology JUST TO KILL YOU)

I mean, in a world where most characters speak through text bubbles, imagine suddenly suddenly hearing "FOR NEMESIS!" Bellowed with scratchy record audio.

youtube.com/watch?v=FPijJjOnLbY

No, the source is gone.