Game Dev Thread

Hello fellow devs, have you made any progress this week?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iPwdia3gAnk
store.steampowered.com/app/337290/Still_Not_Dead/
youtube.com/watch?v=XptlVErsL-o
youtube.com/watch?v=HQOjkHwp94k
itch.io/game-assets/free
opengameart.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hey devs,

How do you make a game that is barely functional, looks like shit, is 100% evidence that you don't know what you're doing, and somehow feel good about it?

reworking a lot of stuff and fixing remaining spaghetti code

that 86 tho

It's going so well I'm taking the time to laugh at all of you so-called "devs" on here. Go fuck yourselves you role-playing nerds. You'll never be as successful as me. I roll the nickels. The game is mine. I deal the cards

why u poopin on me

I came up with some more ideas

>Memestruct 2

Nearing completion on this texture

Been trying to figure out how to make a fully dynamically lit scene in Unity not look like shit.

>implying you have made any games, let alone a successful one

Nice try, fag.

>mfw charles manson is out of prison

>I roll the nickels.
can i use this irl? or do i need to find it in loot box first? also, tell your AAA buddies to rerelease their old nes/sms games and up, for digital or whatever. how come they haven't done it yet? thought they liked moneh?

forgot to put "i'll trade you muh nanner panner cakes for the rereleases."

>flips the burgers

been trying out some gm8.1 debug stuff lately i guess

Fuck off you vile furfaggot.

>Nobody did any work so project died

And now i'm here learning skills on my own

What was your role?
>inb4 "management"

Idea guys extraordinaire
Programmer
Its just that starting a project with a bunch of friends is a sinking ship to begin with
Really think i'm just gonna make it all voxels at this point

shut up

Is Marmoset Hexels a good program?

Don't do serious shit with friends, they are just in it for the friendship.
Find someone that wants to do serious shit.

Well you need money to do that. I figure i'll just grind another skill tree or two until I get enough proficiency to do it again. Or find a better job. Whichever comes first really

Reminder that if you want to get good at 3D modeling, you should get a CG Cookie subscription.
If you follow Youtube tutorials, you'll end up adopting poor workflow techniques and get shitter results. If you followed Darrin Lile's character tutorial, you are already tainted.

Mandatory viewing:

youtube.com/watch?v=iPwdia3gAnk

yes i now have 50 twitter followers (WOW) and 3 new enemies in the game

store.steampowered.com/app/337290/Still_Not_Dead/

Multiple sketchbooks filled with concept art and zero programming skills to make it happen, friendo.

then be useful and release those scans.

fuck you i'm insecure about everything i do

concept art is not meant to be realistic or technical, and who knows you could inspire a great game and possibly see your designs come to life.

Currently going through the ol' OpenGL textbook as I code some GFX.

>>>/agdg/

Use "game making" software.

have been experimenting on this shiet

Your experimentation has not resulted in a Hogs Of War clone. Try again.

I'm working on an assault rifle

Thoughts on Godot 3.0?

youtube.com/watch?v=XptlVErsL-o

earth wizard explores the poorly coloured caverns

Not gonna lie. That art style is pretty fucking cute.

do i give a shit, no

best 2d engine there is, still needs time to mature though

I've not played Hogs of War in decades. Make it and I'll buy it. Anyone that won't make shit unless it's an OC Sonichu original idea will never make a game.

>do i give a shit, no

Said everyone ever about your non-Hogs of War game

LMFAO

never heard of the game checking now

i released it on steam this week
it is kinda cheap and has achievements

store.steampowered.com/app/717060

I remember you, glad you got your game on steam dude. Livin the fuckin dream.

youtube.com/watch?v=HQOjkHwp94k

This is all you need to know.

Game looks neato senpai, gonna buy it later tonight

link

thanks : D. Typically a programmer so I gotta work around my art weaknesses. Happy to hear there's some appeal though :)

no, it's Doomslayer.
and this shit isn't done yet, there's an old version but it's hot buttered ass compared to what I've going here.

Not sure why you think it's cool being such a negative nigga.

Ah, seen your shit around. Looks dope.

>Not sure why you think it's cool being such a negative nigga.

Not sure why you're so salty over getting called out on your non-Hogs of War game.

Not me, I'm the guy that said sonichu OC never get made.

Nice b8

What software do you user to record gifs/webms?

im just interested in the games setting. wtf is it? you are fighting some medieval zombies with sword and gun. thats pretty cool

obs + webm for retards

It's just a doom mod, but setting wise it's about a manlet knight having to travel through weird dimensions and shit to fuck up demons and skeletons to save a goddess.
Basically I'm using an asspull story to handwave players using whatever mapset they please with the project. Have a webm of the manlet knight I mentioned.
Kobold alchemist and a warforged guy in the future, eventually

Animating hero spell effects, trying to add some punch to them.

Not researching old gothic symbols for art inspo?

How should I start generating an idea of my game? How do you do it?

>playing with random mechanics until something sticks
>starting from a story
>starting from setting
>starting from a genre
>starting from a camera position and controls (topdown, side view, 3rd person, first person...)

I don't even know anymore, I'm completely lost and if I have any idea, it is shut down when I pitch it.

>struggling to have ideas
literally will never understand this.
Every movie,anime,video game i play, i come out with a million ideas.

If youre an idealet, just refine an idea with a twist from an old game you love.

Good idea, I'll implement something like that for the other unholy/demonic spells.

think of a dream game that nobody will ever make and how you can make it into indieshit instead

Not everyone is making that lucky game and goes rich. Does not have to be original, does not have to be awesome. Think of something, a dream, something you saw on the way home, the crack pattern on the wall while you are taking a shit in the toilet may inspire you.

I am kinda stuck, needing someone to do some art, do u guys have any tips on how can I avoid that? Like some art style easy to learn and that looks cool?

itch.io/game-assets/free
opengameart.org/
and more, just look for it

Anime I guess?

I can come up with some ideas, but the problem is that they are always just bad and wouldn't work very well. It's easy for you to say that, but do you think all of your ideas are actually good and worth spending time on?

I don't know if I should try to brainstorm some unique game mechanic or just pick a genre or a game I like and try to make a twist from it.

And it's hard to pitch the concept and make it look original and interesting to a person you are showing it to.

>using assets
"no"
They aren't even good for prototyping either, you will get used to the look of the assets and will get frustrated at your inability to make your own assets that are just as good or better.

put less emphasis on art and more on level design, mechanics, story or other things if you want to do it alone

Abstract art lets you get away with anything since there's no anchor for what it "should" look like, just do some fancy shaders and stuff.

>And it's hard to pitch the concept and make it look original and interesting to a person you are showing it to.
Who the fuck cares, most game pitches arent original or interesting right away. Read some from your steam games and see how painfully dull they are. People are sold on gameplay and presentation, not words.

Since it's October I thought it might be interesting to make a cramped horror game where you only have a dodge button to defend yourself and you need good timing to survive. I've only got the basics done

I'll try to specify my situation. I actually need to come up with something for my college class, and without a time to make the prototype first, I'd need to explain the game just with words. Nothing sounds good that way, though. If only they let me prototype shit first and figure something out eventually, all would be good, but I simply can't tell if my ideas would even work or not and I don't want to look like a retardo.

Really nice pixel art, user.

I'm sure you've noticed but it's stupid hard to read the text on the buttons that are being hovered over

Your movement code is fucked. He flickers like crazy because you make him break every time he goes over a certain speed limit.

fuck off cunt, get a pair of eyes

What

Does Sup Forums like Blender?

I use it to make animations, but I do all my modelling in Wings3D.

Thanks
You're right that his speed gets capped once he has accelerated, but I can't see any flickering.

recently finished the spear impale attack

Blender is arguably the best software for lowpoly modeling.
Maya is so slow, unstable and lacking that it's a fucking joke. I have no idea why people still spend money on that trash and consider it the "indoostry stundurd"

Got beams working for bosses and non-NPC based hazards, should be a lot of fun.

A friend of mine asked me today if I still wanted to do that Starflight-like game and he's a programmer.

Sooo... back to making interface for that.

I decided that 320x200 was a very poor choice for the first mock-ups and upped it to 640x400 with ability to snip it to 640x360 or push it towards 640x480. Phew.

Guy at least works fast with the code, while I can dish shit like ships in few hours.

>I can't see any flickering.
Watch how blurry the lines get when he moves sideways. That's the flickering, and it's caused by the movement code.

What do y'all think of this thing I made in Source?

Finally decided to stop dicking around and learn some c++ for Unreal. Its surprisingly not very different from making blueprints.

Also got bosses working, which have their own dedicated health bar element, along with a few cinematic camera modes.

Add a fucking cockpit view already Trainwiz.

Yeah Yeah I guess I could try something like that, just afraid of it becoming too abstract and turning into a mess

>> 394035415
Doing that, focusing g 100% on level design and mechanics for now ( I am pretty familiar with level design too) however I will need to eventually tackle the art style

Thanks! Will look at it! However I would feel better creating my own assets

not in weeks

i'm stuck working on art

Would be nice, but I don't want it to look too cringy, dunno if I am talented enough to make it no cringy