Health systems in games

I'm going over various health systems to tinker with component based game dev systems and I'm looking for examples. Off the top of my head there are:

Numbers: 50/100 HP (RPG/jRPG)
Symbols: 3/5 hearts (LoZ, Binding of Isaac)
Limb systems: DF/Rimworld/CataclysmDDA/Cogmind/SS13

Past that I can't think of many other systems that aren't some derivative of these three.
Do you know of any others?
Which ones are most interesting/involving/lead to difficult decisions?
Which one(s) do you absolutely hate and why?

Does the AAA regenerating raspberry jelly count as its own system?

that's just 100/100 HP system with regeneration

halos health is interesting.
It's 100/100 HP layered with a regenerative armor bar 100/100 on top

By that logic the Zelda one is also just 5/5 HP with hearts

Well in that case, everything's technically just a number system, just hidden behind symbols (also aren't limb systems a type of symbol?).

Mass Effect had this too, with an additional layer. Health / armor / shields / barriers, each taking different damage from different weapon types.

The only preference I'd say I have is a dislike for regenerating health, because it just slows down gameplay.

actually it's 10/10 since you can have half a heart you stupid uneducated niggermonkey

Regenerating health speeds up gameplay if the alternative is backtracking for a health pack

You are right.
I guess they differ because with the symbol health theres less variation on damage generally.
Take Half-Life with a straight number health. There is a lot more variation between the damage you can take: splash, various weapons, armor blah blah.
Whereas in Zelda there are less generally. BOTW is a bit of an outlier since it's one of the first to have really high damage things besides fall damage.

a combination of limb system and degenerating health from blood loss is the best.

Nigga a half heart is 0.5 HP obviously

DivOS2 has a Physical/Magical Armor health system.

It basically boils down to 3 health bars, but two that block CC. How hardy your character gets to be is directly affected by what they wear.

I didn't find this to be the case for Nu-Doom.

Isn't every enemy a potential health pack in nu-doom?

Only if you're low on health (

Yes.
Fairly sure they give health no matter your health, they just give more if you're lower.
I think it slows down combat, weakening enemies to get the glory-kill means generally means I have to take longer to be careful I don't just kill them, plus during I had to basically be still.

Yeah they give health always on a glory kill, but not necessarily for a regular kill. I really hated the glory kill system for the exact reason you mentioned, I think Doom would have been much better without it. Though it was still slightly preferable to me than regenerating health.

Well, thats so plasma weapons would deal more damage to shields but less to HP and bullet weapons would do the contrary.
This promoted weapon variability and pistol meta.

MAGNUM + PLASMA PISTOL BFF

>Strong hitting attacks that seem like they should have killed you, leaves your hp at 1 for one more chance at survival

I loved this shit

Agreed 100%. Regenerating health is one of my least favorite mechanics. WC3 regenerating health was okay though.

I like chess, or the chinese game Go.

You can say that losing pieces is similar to losing health, since it limits your options and the amount of risk you can take, but true death or defeat conditions are more complicated and rely on a higher strategy being played.

But most games with health and combat wouldn't implement anything of the sort since it would disturb the flow of the game.

All of those health "systems" are just the number. The only ones in which you aren't "managing" health are those where you die in one hit (which is still a 1 and 0). If you're going to oversimplify in such a retarded fashion, go full retard.
Or get into the actual nuance and mechanics and SYSTEMS of the things involved with a game's health management.

For example Call of Duty's health recovery since COD2 has been one in which the player takes damage multiplied by which body part was hit: helmet, head, neck, chest, stomach, bicep, forearm, hand, thigh, shin, foot. These multipliers are not inherit on the character, but is individually different per weapon. There are many minor differences in singleplayer for these variables, but in multiplayer, most are deliberately simplified to everything being 1x except for the head which is almost universally 1.4x (a multiplier just high enough that the weapon would need one fewer bullet to kill overall if one hits the head) for all weapons.

Health recovery in COD MP is a simple process of waiting five seconds without taking any damage, which will instantly return you to full health. This high speed recovery is offset by the fact that most weapons (in multiplayer) will kill you in two to five shots, faster than 0.25 seconds.

Another, FEAR has 100 starting Health, 100 Armor, and the ability to carry up to 10 MedKits.
A percentage of the damage you suffer is diverted away from health loss depending on the amount of armor you have.
The Health Booster is an instant-use pickup that fully heals as well as increases the player's maximum health by 5, bringing him up to a maximum cap of 199.
Medkits are a manually used item with an instant heal, recovering 50 health. No cooldown, no startup, you could spam all ten of them to make yourself a temporary tank of 699+100 potential health+armor.
Lesser known feature, when the player is below 25 health, he will slowly regenerate up to 25.

character limit

>The Health Booster is an instant-use pickup that fully heals as well as increases the player's maximum health by 5, bringing him up to a maximum cap of 199.

This reminds me of something like Overshield from Halo or Megahealth from Quake

>Megahealth is a Powerup that grants somebody 100 health points, ignoring the default 100 capacity. Multiple 100 Health allow for a total of 250 health points. Nonetheless, the health will slowly decay after 5 seconds until it reaches the default limit of 100 health points

A hidden mechanic in a lot of games is to decrease the damage you take when your health reaches a very low point, giving you a rush of adrenaline as you fight back against the brink of death.

Then it's 1/1 HP and a half a heart is 0.1HP