>Wii, 101 million units

>Eight Generation, 113 million units
>PS4, 63 million units
>Xbox one, 30 million units
>Wii U, 14 million units
>Switch, 5 million units

What happened?

Other urls found in this thread:

windowscentral.com/xbox-multi-billion-dollar-profitable-business-more-first-party-investment-way
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_sales
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_sales
gamespot.com/articles/xbox-360-sales-top-30-million-microsoft/1100-6210405/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>eight generation
>switch

awwwwwwww, baby's first bait :3

>comparing lifetime sales to a generation that isn't even over yet

Video games are getting worse

How is the Switch not an eight generation console? This current gaming generation isn't over.

Shovelware migrated to phones.

PCs are now easier to use
Smartphones are more powerful
Consoles are now complicated to use

This.

Shit like the PS3 has been around for a decade while its successor has only been around for a few years. The Switch was released barely 6 months ago.

OP is a dumb dumb

Looks like 8th gen is going to end around the same as 6th gen tho

>triggered nintodler

>Consoles are now complicated to use

dumbwojak.jpg

>Nintendo64, 33 million units
>GameCube, 22 million units
>Wii U, 14 million units
>Switch, 5 million units
Why do Nintendos home consoles sell like shit?

This pretty much sums it up, although consoles nowadays also have less noteworthy exclusives due to more and more games coming to the PC.

Probably more than that. Loads of people including myself are still playing on 7th gen consoles because there isn't paid online, the online community is active, and games are still released on it. We haven't bought a new console yet.

Because the Switch was released 6 months ago?

>Nintendo has 2 consoles in the same generation

Despite the obvious being Gen 8 isn't over. Japanese care less about consoles then they did 5+ years ago.

It's Nintendo's next console, it's 9th gen.

No one said Dreamcast was 5th gen because it released in 1999 and 5th gen wasn't over yet.
>inb4 hardware
It's simply defined by when the machine is released.

And also Smart Phones and a lot more people are noticing that PC has all the games they want with better customization.

PCs are complicated to use

PS4 is the only one that'll keep selling, totals for 8th gen will still be way down.

Are you retarded? Unless the PS4 sells 200 million units by itself, this is not happening.

why would anyone want a console when a PC has:

-biggest game library by far
-better graphics
-better framerate
-cheaper games
-100's of free games
-better controls + more control options
-mods
-more user content (maps, skins, etc)
-free online MP
-upgradeable
-backwards compatibility

>PCs are complicated to use

>It's Nintendo's next console, it's 9th gen.

Nintendo releases a different console every other week though

That's a very Nintendo thing to do.

It released the Virtua Boy during the ass-end of the SNES' life and just before the N64 was released.

consoles generations are like "dog years" with Nintendo. They're like up to 30th generation now.

6th was inflated by 100 million people who bought a PS2 as a DVD player
7th was inflated by 100 million soccer moms who bought a Wii as an exercise machine

>ps4 is on pace to outsell the ps3
>xbox one is the most profitable microsoft console
>switch is already on pace to outsell the wii u
>b-b-b-but console gaming is dying guise!!!!!
kek

what about the ps1?

>900 million games sold
>Attach rate of 8.89
>Best year for hardware sales was 2009
>HURR DURR soccer moms, it was a fad!
Your ignorance is showing.

we dont know the final sales numbers for ps3 or 360

Loads of kids bought them as a CD player and shitty home music system.

>an equal mix of autistic assholes and game developers on either sides

I don't know how I should feel about this

Did you even look at individual numbers? The only gen you posted with comparable numbers is 7th where everyone was 80-100m. The two gens previous were VASTLY majority Sony sales, especially the 6th gen where it makes up practically 75% of ALL SALES. This gen isn't over and will do fine, except for WiiU. Switch belongs in a different gen that will include the successor to the PS4/Xbone.

Wow nice exaggerated story! He invented a new computer!

>This.
>Shit like the PS3 has been around for a decade while its successor has only been around for a few years. The Switch was released barely 6 months ago.
>OP is a dumb dumb

This should really be said again and again because other idiots in this thread are just going "durrrr uhhmmmmm maybe phon gaems steal da consoles????"

There is nothing more reddit than a PC mastard race gaymer.

>900 million games sold
>"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""games"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

tfw people bought PS3 for blu-ray since blu-ray players were at least $700-1000+ back in 06-07.

To be fair it was a fantastic BR player at the time that could update the firmware.

Because the goyim love my platform OP. Mmmm I could just bury myself in all of this skins and crates money, oh and my cocaine, cant die without all these tons of fine south American cocaine.

The Wii U has already been discontinued and isn't being sold anymore.

The Xbone is dead in the water, I'd be genuinely surprised if it's anywhere near the 30 million figure floating around, as MS stopped telling its investors how many units have actually been sold years ago.

The PS4 is the only one doing well. So unless it manages to sell another 100 million units by itself, and I don't think that's likely as it's been trending below PS2 and Wii and I do not think 8th gen is going to stick around for a decade like 7th, 8th gen is going to finish with a much lower total than 5th, 6th, or 7th gen did.

You don't have to wait for the generation to be over completely before drawing some baseline conclusions based on past and current trends and sales. Competition from other deices and a slow trickling away of customers brought in during 6th and 7th gen is also not helping.

>xbox one is the most profitable microsoft console
Literally no MS console has been profitable.

You forgot
>only way to get around using disgusting digital distribution services such as Steam is to pirate
I mean, I don't really mind in the end since I save hundreds of dollars pirating, but I'm willing to pay for games that get a proper release.
Steam and the people who let them grow so big are the cancer that started most of the problems in gaming today.

1) the PS2 didn't sell 155 million
2) this gen isn't over yet.

Not that I think this gen will sell as much as the others, but still. Fuck off OP.

But most the most sold Wii "games" were family party "games" like Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit, Wii party etc.

>Literally no MS console has been profitable.
windowscentral.com/xbox-multi-billion-dollar-profitable-business-more-first-party-investment-way

>the PS2 didn't sell 155 million
Yes it did

Because that shit was always bundled in with the console. Hard to get "true" software sales for popular titles that get bundled so often.

No, it actually didn't. You can post that wikipedia article all you want but not even Sony said it sold 155 million. They said they shipped 150 million consoles total right before they stopped supporting the console entirely. There's no source from Sony saying the console sold 155 units and you can't sell more units than you ship.

>T-t-these games don't count!

I like how in that article there are 1) no numbers at all and 2) a lie about investment into first party titles for the Xbone. Really makes you trust their claims.

Better update those numbers, OP

They count less than dudebro EU Fifa players everyone likes to shit on here for damn sure.

bundled sales only count for Nintendo games

Microsoft doesn't personally release sales info, and they can't lie about the brand bring profitable because that's illegal and they can get caught easily with that by looking at their financial reports. They just talk about how much money it makes them and it makes them money. There also aren't any lies about first party titles because it was a recent article saying that they were going to ramp up their first party investments for the future. Did you not actually read the article?

Nothing new has been done in video games for a long long time. No one wants to pay $60 for a fraction of cod or battlefield #403 anymore.

modern vidya gaems r disgraceful.

Fake news, Sony said they EXPECT to sell 78 million by the end of the year. There's no source on the PS4 selling 78 million.

No, they don't. They're all games. They all count.
>b-b-but BUNDLES!
FIFA was bundled. TLOU was bundled. Halo was bundled. Uncharted was bundled. The only game this argument actually works for is Wii sports, but even then the sequel sold over 30m by itself.

VR says hello

>Phil Spencer stated an intent to invest in first-party exclusive games to accelerate Xbox adoption, including the announcement of the "next big hits" at E3 in June.

June has been here and gone. What exclusive first party titles did they announce at E3? Literally everything they showed is on PC.

If you think the VR fad is something new then you're too young to be in this conversation.

Agreed.
The PS4 has outperformed Sony's expectations at every turn. Probably closer to 80m.

So I guess these games don't count either?

People grew up and have no real job, money, or kids so nobody is buying these things anymore except manchildren.

people still think the ps3 outsold the 360? kek

>Are you retarded? Unless the PS4 sells 200 million units by itself, this is not happening
Are YOU retarded? The Xbone is already outperforming the original Xbox and the combination of the WiiU/Switch will push it towards the 6th gen target. You fucking moron.

Jeeze, look at these bundles, guess these games don't count!

>The Xbone is already outperforming the original Xbox
Old news, same with the PS4 outselling the PS2. That stopped being true years ago.

bundled sales dont count cause people buy them for the console

I think people underestimate how much some of the consoles were marketed as dvd and bluray players.

I mean my dad still has a ps3 he bought for bluray as well as every kid on my block had a ps2 in the living room for a dvd player.

Meh.

Source

>The Xbone is already outperforming the original Xbox
MS stopped giving out numbers years ago, and the original XB only sold 24m units in four years.

Switch is 9th gen.

>MS stopped giving out numbers years ago, and the original XB only sold 24m units in four years
And the Xbone was last reported at 26mil in 2016, with 3 years on the market. Yep, retarded.

switch is handheld gen, not console. Nintendo left the console race.

this.

It's not dying. Those sales numbers are higher with older gen consoles because more people can afford them (e.g 3rd worlders) as time goes on. While you may have just bought a PS4 Pro, some nigger in Colombia buying a brand new PS3 off the shelf.

Its not outpacing either the Wii or PS2 unless its somehow sold 20m+ units between June and now.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_sales
The Wii sold 85m units by the end of 2010, after four years on the market. PS4 is at 60-something as of June, and it'll be four years old next month.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_sales
The PS2 sold 82m units by the end of 2004, after four years on the western market. Japan bought about 3.5m between March and November 2000, so you can subtract that if you'd like.

I'd agree with you since they are moving all their handheld IPs over to the Switch but they are also lobbying for a ton of AAA multiplat support.

What part of
>MS stopped giving out numbers years ago
Do you not understand? any Xbone numbers we have are literally made up. EA and Gamestop estimated it was actually only at around 16m sold when we were seeing 23m shipped figures. It's likely no where near 30m sold-through to customers.

You're actually supposed to prove that it's still true, since you're the first one to say it. The Xbox 360 sold over 30 million in a similar time frame, what are the Xbone sales figures for comparison?

gamespot.com/articles/xbox-360-sales-top-30-million-microsoft/1100-6210405/

most of "normal" people aren't interested anymore in videogames as a hobby with a dedicated machine, crappy smartphone games are enough for people that, if lived at the same age in 1998, would have bought a Playstation

And of course People got many options to play and they often go for the cheapest one.

Doesn't really apply this time, PS4 is available in lots of territories that had previously not seen current hardware releases. The PS2 kept selling and selling and selling because it was brought to those markets that didn't have it before, the PS4 was already there from the start, it doesn't have anywhere to expand to.

>My first day on Sup Forums

Its 9th gen, get over it.

switch is 8th gen retard

It is by definition not.

>hasn't factored in price as a factor
>even though the drop to $199 was a huge factor in boosting PS2 sales
Sounds like your logic is incomplete.

It was 78 shipped by the end of the FY

Fiscal year, aka next June?

yup switch is definitely 8th gen.

Playroom has over 60 million copies sold then.
Round about there yeah

VR wasn't real VR back then retard

This, I still see people buying XBox 360 while there's no PS3 anywhere

>>Seventh Generation, 272 million units sold
>>Wii, 101 million units
You need to fix this up to get a clear picture.
Tons of Wii customers were blue ocean, EXACTLY BECAUSE it's dying.

Nintendo figured this out 12+ years ago.

>purposely excluding the Wii
That being said the Wii U sold like shit because of god awful marketing and no real system sellers like the Wii , N64 and Gamecube had.

>But current VR is totally real VR
No.
It's a crappy gimmick. Nothing more.
>oh look, tons of people are literally puking their guts out
>oh look, motion gaming!!! nvm that we the "hardcore" gamers hated it on Wii
>oh look, yes you can't move around but who cares about moving around in a game
It's a shitty useless restrictive gimmick.

You know Wiimote gave us tons of games, that weren't possible on home consoles before.
Perfect controls in Metroid Prime.
VR gave us nothing of value.
3D is gone. And VR will be gone in a few years again as well.

They said that in 2011, Sony discounted it at the end of 2012.