So I'm a little baby boy (18) and am playing through some of the FF games I heard were good...

So I'm a little baby boy (18) and am playing through some of the FF games I heard were good. I started with 7 and loved it, and am now playing 10. Honestly, 10 has been extremely boring so far. I'm 14 hours in (partway through Macalania Woods) and the story is still really meh, and the combat feels like a shittier version of rock paper scissors.
Basically, is the story gonna pick up sometime soon? Will the combat become bearable? Or should I just give up on this one and move on to another game? If I do move onto another game, which should I play?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aS9H4E1LdVI
romhacking.net/hacks/2337/,
romhacking.net/hacks/3687/
romhacking.net/hacks/1386
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I would finish FF10. After you finish the game if you don't like it, don't do the end game content.

It's probably one of my least favorite of the mainline FF series. The main characters aren't that interesting and the plot annoyed me a lot of the time.

The interesting part of combat is messing around with the sphere grid.

Play V and XII.

>So I'm a little baby boy (18)

Play V or VI. FF after 7 was either shit or just nostalgia bait

Posting the best FF

I was looking for this rom and apparently it was released as FF3 in the west? What's the deal with the numbering between the regions?

I thought the one with the Chao garden was best. But I never liked the levels where you had to go around exploring for treasure. My second favourite is the one where you play a monkey and kidnap a princess during some kind of mock-Shakespearean play at the start of the game.

II and III and V were never released in the USA when they were originally made, so IV and VI were relabeled II and III.

Before FF became huge in the west (VII), only some of the games got localised. FFVI was the third game in the series to come to the states. Same reason that FFIV is called FFII in america

I do really like the sphere grid, just wish the combat was more interesting :(

Excuse me?

XIV was good, and I heard good things about XV? Also, I heard both good and bad things about VIII so idk.

I think VI will be next, but right now I've only played science fiction ff's so I want to try a fantasy one. Maybe IV? or VIII? (I think VIII is fantasy)

Wanna fuck?

>and I heard good things about XV?
No you didn't.

Gotcha. So if i were to play the SNES versions, I would want II and III for 4 and 6. What about V? Was it not released until later? Is it even worth playing?

VI uses scifi technology very sparingly compared to VII and VIII. Apart from steam and coal, and the occasional mech, it's pretty much traditional fantasy

Final Fantasy as a series has lackluster stories, despite focusing on story above all else. Every story is a variation on shounen cliches. FFIV and X having arguably the worst stories in the series. That being said, FFX has some of the better gameplay in the series. Though as you already pointed out, its not much more than rock paper scissors (in this case, ground vs flying vs armor). Dragon Quest II had a more complex system back on the NES.

Basically what I'm saying is, if you are looking for an RPG series with good combat and story, FF is not the series for you.

V is great, but wasn't released in the US until Anthology on the ps1.

FFVI is more like idealized Victorian steampunk meets a cliche fantasy story. Like the Escaflowne anime.

>So if i were to play the SNES versions, I would want II and III for 4 and 6
yep. and you DO want the SNES versions...jesus fuck

Well that's precisely why I started playing. I thought FF seemed like it had an interesting story after playing XIV. Ok, so if FF isn't a series of RPG's with a good story, what is?

Final Fantasy.

I would recommend the Ted Wooley Uncensored Edition patch. It retranslates the script, and is actually a package of a bunch of other patches, including optional bug fixes, like Relm's sketch.

if you're gonna play the old FF games, be sure to set your expectations low or just the right amount of enthusiasm. especially the story. please do note that these games were released at a period where devs are experimenting a lot and at those times you wouldn't really call it cliche. it's just sad they never really improved from there, FFXV was just plain horrible

You should play the PSP version of 1.

5, 6, and 9 also highly recommended.

this thread is making me want to replay FF6 so bad

youtube.com/watch?v=aS9H4E1LdVI

>Ok, so if FF isn't a series of RPG's with a good story, what is?
Suikoden I-III

I would also say Dragon Quest III, IV, V, VII and VIII. And both Chrono games. But I'm sure people will greentext me.

Combat gets interesting when you start fighting enemies that have more status effects, which starts happening around Calm Lands. You're not far off.

I just started again myself, just got to the Veldt and learning some skills for Gau before heading off. I'm playing on the Ted Wooley patch mentioned here and it's actually nicely done.

>But I'm sure people will greentext me.

I would argue that FF has the more interesting characters, even if lacking in main plot. So that makes them about as good as the games you mentioned.

You're still pretty early in, make it to the calm lands and if the story hooks haven't grabbed you then I guess move on but 10 does have one of my favorite endings
The combat gets a bit harder and requires more strategy later on, I dont think you've even gotten to the point where you can customize weapons and armor yet, after this one play 4,5, or 6 before you get to caught up in the technical changes of the later games that really makes going back difficult

>I would argue that FF has the more interesting characters
But you didn't.

?

I feel like the total opposite. What makes Dragon Quest and Suikoden so good is their focus on character development. You will spend dozens of hours with a character before they are killed. And even NPCs will grow on you. While in FF games, characters are just tools for the story. I don't care about most characters because they don't do anything with them. There's nothing to like about Yuffie unless you find genki idiots to be sexually arousing. Whereas Alena in Dragon Quest IV has the same personality, yet also gets a lot of development.

X isn't the greatest. If you don't like it you should go backward. Try IV, or V, or VI. In IV you use who the game wants you to use, and everyone has a well-defined job. Play V if you want to play a game where you can freely change the classes of your characters and mix and match abilities. Play VI if you want a game with a linear first half with a decent story, and a non-linear second half that lets you do and use whoever. You could also try FF XII (preferably the Zodiac Age, but if you don't want to buy it, emulate the International Zodiac Job System which has a translation patch, unless you don't like the idea of jobs, then play the original instead). If you don't like X, you probably won't like XIII, so I wouldn't look past XII.

10 honestly doesn't get any more difficult till Mt. Gagazet. Then there's a sharp increase in difficulty and 3 meme bosses in a row

>3 meme bosses in a row
Two of which can be killed in a few turns by using Aeon overdrives.

Alright cool, thanks for clearing things up for me

Try out 6. It's pretty similar to 7 with equipping magicite to learn skills.

Isn't half the appeal of FFVI to dick around with glitches while reading a goofy translation tho?

yeah. if you want to wuss out and use summons

Tactics is the best

Never realized how bad the GBA versions were, until I replayed the SNES versions.

Translation and bugs are what mainly hold the SNES versions back, but thankfully there are good patches for this.

And even then, its not that hard. It only gets 'hard' for one battle because you have to play Kitamari by himself against two people flanking him.

And this is exactly why FF games are shit at gameplay. They spend hours throwing braindead mobs and bosses at you. Then randomly there's a boss that will OHKO you unless you use one specific skill. Or will knock your whole party out before your first turn. Causing you to have to reset the game and do it over. In other words, trial and error junk. Not hard at all, just annoying.

The Kimahri fight is one of the easiest in the game because Brian and Yenke are scaled to his level, I have no idea what you're talking about as that fight is almost impossible to lose.

not to mention you can get all but 1 of the blue magics from them

No idea why people fawn over Tactics so much. Unless it was your first tactical RPG ever. Even then, I played it back in high school and it was crap. Gameplay has so many flaws that even other games at their time like Fire Emblem fixed. Story is full of every cliche possible. Interface is really annoying. Really the only fun part is customizing your characters.

Hence why I said 'hard' in quotes.

>goofy translation

No that would be FFT. 6 gets some of its ability and item names completely off, and bugs make some of them completely useless.

Yeah, the game basically goes out of its way to make that fight as painless as possible which was a good decision because a jack of all trades character in a game where every character is used for taking out one specific enemy type is useless.

You really, really don't want to play the English SNES version for FF IV. It was based on the Japanese easytype version and cuts a load of mechanics out, such as rows, battle commands unique to characters, items, and a lot of shit really. If you happen to know Nip, play the SFC hardtype version. If you don't, you'll have to compromise somewhere since FF IV localizations haven't been very good for the most part. If you want the original gameplay, play the PSX, GBA, or PSP version. The PSX version's localization is pretty shitty at times, at times almost getting as bad as the fan-translation (don't touch that one unless you want to see a really good example of really bad fan-translations). The GBA and PSP versions' localizations were based on them the PSX localization, but fixed up a bit. It's still not great though. The DS version and all versions based on it actually have a good localization, but the gameplay is completely different from the other versions.

VI doesn't matter so much. I could talk about the SNES localization for quite some time, but overall, I think it's fine. The GBA's is better, but the sound and visuals have nothing on the SNES version, even if you use the restoration patch.

Is that the one with the really wooden translation?

Give up on X. You're not going to like it anymore. I actually started liking it less after a certain point.

DS version of 4 is the best iteration of it. Its also the most difficult Final Fantasy to beat. superbosses behind supergrinds not included

X is hot garbage.
Drop that shit.

Honestly this. It's actually why I prefer FF because I'm not really into character driven stories. FFX actually has a pretty good plot but you have to read between the lines a LOT, especially near the end. I think it's popular to hate on today because on the surface it has a lot of bad anime tropes which are easy to criticize. Also the whole "linearity is bad" meme.

This except unironically.

>optional character less developed than a main character
Oh shit really?

>FFX actually has a pretty good plot but you have to read between the lines a LOT, especially near the end.
Same with FFVIII. A lot of the games story is delivered by NPCs you never have to talk to. Or doing side quests for characters like Selphie and Zell. This leads to most people never seeing the bulk of the story.

That's not to say the story is amazing. Rinoa still kills the game and Squall still turns into a sniveling idiot the minute you put in disk 3. With zero build up to it. Just saying, FFVIII actually has more character development than the typical FF game. And the story/characters for FFX were based heavily on FFVIII. Yuna might as well be Rinoa 2.0.

>Yuna might as well be Rinoa 2.0.
Uh, what?

No, that's probably Sky Render.

FF14 has a free trial up to level 35 on PC/PS4.

Alright, you seem to know your shit. So probably GBA for 4 and stick with SNES for 6? Is there a good way to play 5 if I don't have access to the PSX anthology?

Is the gameplay bad like this other user said?

She has no point in the story aside from getting Tidus' dick big so he feels motivated to fulfill his mission. They make her seem like she's important because of his grand pilgramidge and all of Spira's hopes are put on her. But in the end, she wasn't needed for anything except using some summons to weaken Yu Yevon. Tidus is the key for getting to Sin, for defeating his father and for ending the cycle.

its not bad at all. you'll get little skill things that you are supposed to handout to your party that give you broken combinations and such. most JRPG vets won't use them as its not necessary. Thing is the game is balanced around you having these synergies

But the only good part of FFIV DS is the improved gameplay. Why would you suggest he play a game that removes all of that? Yes FFIV is harder. But its also the only FF game where the difficulty actually is worth anything.

IX is actually really good. Zidane is a likeable FF protagonist who is not emo or full of teenage angst. Beatrix and Steiner are awesome.

That's some interpretation you've got there, user.

The GBA version should be fine for V. The PSX version has awful load times anyway. There's the fan-translated SNES version, but people have often complained the translation is kind of dry. It's certainly enjoyable in the GBA version, though a lot of liberties were probably taken. I haven't gotten around to playing FF V in Nip, but I expect the GBA localization is generally fine, if you're concerned about that.

I just gave him the facts, I didn't tell him which one to play. Well, I did recommend the SFC hardtype version if he knows Japanese, I guess.

>are ya winning son

if you play 2 snes play the namingway hack as it's better than how 2 was actually originally released in the US since they made it easier and the original translation was terrible

FFX is infinitely better than FF7. Sorry about your taste, OP.

It's the same all the way through, unless you want to spend weeks doing unfun side content at the end. Play a different one. The only one after 8 I'd recommend is 12.

finish 10

play 6 and 9 they're all classics in their own right, i would include 8 in that as well but its divisive as fuck but worth playing if you can get past the first part of the disk 1.

4 is the 'quintessential' final fantasy, the DS remake is probably the best version. Worth playing if you want the one the nips think is most important.

5 is very good as well.

13 is divisive as well but some people like it. maybe try it last.

What makes V on the DS the definitive version? Never played it.

I'd do:

- 4: Either SNES with romhacking.net/hacks/2337/, PSP 4 since it's just GBA with bug fixes and graphics, or DS 4 but DS 4 tends to be better after playing one of the previous ones.

- 5: really any version as long as it's not the mobile version or ps1 version. is pretty much right. some dude also recently ported the gba script to the snes version sans spell names (due to space constraints in his hack, he's working on it) here romhacking.net/hacks/3687/

- 6: SNES with Woolsey Uncensored hack or the relocalization hack. I don't know anything about the latter other than that it used the GBA version's script as the base. Woolsey Uncensored is here: romhacking.net/hacks/1386 it's basically just bug and script fixes where needed with the base script still being close in tone to the SNES original.

just my opinions tbqh really any versions of the games sans mobile, shit pc ports, or ps1 verions will probably be good even without patches

5 on GBA is the only English version with no load times. It also adds post game content and a few extra unnecessary jobs

IV you mean
i dont think V got a DS remake

basically it was remade by people who really respected the game.

emulating the SNES version is fine as well

Thanks and yeah my bad I meant to say GBA.

I have no idea how you dealt with VII's shitty combat if you think X's is bad.