Melodramatic 'muh boyfriend' bullshit complete with a 'psychological warning' so that delicate people don't get...

Melodramatic 'muh boyfriend' bullshit complete with a 'psychological warning' so that delicate people don't get triggered.

Barely passes as interactive, the environment is static and the combat is real basic bitch stuff against like 5 enemy types. Repetitive puzzles involve looking at stuff at a specific angle, fucking lol.

Ninja Theory raped Norse Mythology in the ass harder than Marvel.

What a waste of 5 hours.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LF1A3yfH9aw
youtube.com/watch?v=bdTB19iYrns
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>DUDE PSYCHOLOGICAL WAR XD
why western companies make things like this?

well...
I liked it

Ninja Theory did a bad job at adapting something, what a fucking shocker.

Is there anyone out there that has done an actual objective analysis on this game yet? Every person I've watched won't stop sucking this game's dick.

At least its longer than the Order.

>Repetitive puzzles involve looking at stuff at a specific angle
It's straight-up Sesame Street for Norsemen.

It made itself immune to criticism from the SJW review outlets by making the protagonist a psychotic female victim. If you hate this game you hate women.

So when are you faggots going to stop buying moviegames

No you.

Why do people butcher Norse Mythology so often for some shitty game or film, do they think that it gets popular because of Vikings?

all women are neurotic desu, some just function better

How did it butcher Norse mythology? Druth's lessons aren't inaccurate. But the story isn't about that; it's about Senua's personal limbo, which is flavored by mythology.

You're not literally reforging Gramr, or facing off against Garm or Hela. They're ideas taken from Senua's days spent with Druth, warped to fit her own personal narrative.

And anyway, the Norse gods aren't Senua's gods. An overlooked part of what makes her journey so horrifying is that she's descending into the underworld of a foreign pantheon. These gods are not her gods.

I think it's an immersive game that captures with shocking accuracy the horror and despair of disassociating from yourself. The puzzles are maybe too simplistic. The combat is fun but the endgame encounters run too long. The Garm/Fenrir boss fight is really excellent. Whether or not you enjoy the game will depend on how relatable you find its story.

Are you suggesting that Senua's Hel doesn't owe a debt to Silent Hill's psychological limbo?

>The Garm/Fenrir boss fight is really excellent
It looked pretty but combat was broken - dodge gives you too many invincibility frames. You can avoid a 10 foot sword/swipe attack with a 2 foot side step.

Vicar Amelia in Bloodborne is a 10000% better boss than Fenrir.

in regards to this game that's not a good thing.

I think you're comparing apples to oranges, but to each his own. I found the fight difficult but I'm a dummy and couldn't figure out exactly how the combat worked.

In my mind that game bears a lot of similarities to Silent Hill 2. It's a thematically weighty game centered on wrestling inner demons in a surreal personal hell. And no one remembers either for its groundbreaking puzzles and combat.

>The voices in my head kept telling the voices in her head to shut the fuck up.
This "game" hit too close to home.

It surprises me how good it looks and how good it runs, several games look 10 times worse and still run like shit.

Having lived with a paranoid schizophrenic for 6 years, and being a manic depressive myself, I feel the developers earned the right to brag about working with mental health advisors.

I think they leaned a little too much on the narrative and skimped on the gameplay, but by no means did they commit a cardinal sin. I do appreciate how polarizing the game is - people either love it or utterly detest it. I think the most interesting works tend to fall into that camp.

I don't have a half dozen copies of my own voice in my head but I did relate to the constant reminders that she's alone.

A lot of the visual flourishes are really unique too. When you're in Fenrir's lair and those live action shots of screaming faces flash across the screen, it's genuinely distressing. The live action stuff in general is put to good use.

What i prop hated the most was the cinematic bullshit.
How many minutes does it take to get finally control of your character at the start? 5-10?
And then when you start to just walk around slowly and solve puzzles that a 5 year old can do. Finally you get to the first fight and you realise that the cobat is bland as fuck and guess what comes after that? More cinematic bullshit

The physical representations of despair are something most people with an open mind can relate to, I think. There's one scene in particular of Senua screaming as her face ripples and disintegrates into darkness - it hit me in a way I can't really put into words. It so accurately depicted what it's like to be swallowed by hopelessness.

>how to make a game on a budget:
>simple gameplay
>pretty graphics
>a critic-immune theme

It's so lazy that I guarantee that it will become a trend.

I can even give a pass about the theme, going with a winning and lazy theme to guarantee the broad appeal but the simple gameplay fucks me the fuck up.

>Ninja Theory did a bad job, what a fucking shocker.

fixed

>it's an 'we spent all the budget on marketing for some quick attention then whoops no one remembers or cares about our shit game 2 months later' episode

This and that Mordor game that literally put pointless lootboxes in just to market it as "bad for us gamurs xd look at our controversy". And here comes le punch nazis Wolfenstein. This shit is getting embarrassing.

>Why do people butcher Norse Mythology so often for some shitty game or film, do they think that it gets popular because of Vikings?

tell me about it.

One anime I watched said that Gungnir was the lance that stabbed Jesus while he was on the cross and that is why the MC is a literal godslayer

Atleast The Order had gameplay. This is barely a step above Dear Esther.

It looks like you both remember and care about this game two months later.

>anime
this always confused me, why are special things in anime named after artifacts or people in norse mythology even if they have nothing to do with it?

thats japan. they like euro mythos.

>you replied that means you care xD
fucking mong

>this always confused me, why are special things in anime named after artifacts or people in norse mythology even if they have nothing to do with it?

no idea.

Especially when the lance that stabbed Jesus while on the cross was a different lance:
>The Holy Lance, also known as the Holy Spear, the Spear of Destiny, or the Lance of Longinus (named after Saint Longinus), according to the Gospel of John, is the lance that pierced the side of Jesus as he hung on the cross.

youtube.com/watch?v=LF1A3yfH9aw

Fucking phenomenal soundtrack. This sequence had my blood pumping. The setting, the music, the voice acting, the relentless hordes of enemies. It all felt like an endurance test in the pit of Hell and that's exactly what it was.

how fucking generic can you get with that crappy song?

even this song is better:
youtube.com/watch?v=bdTB19iYrns

Sorry I upset you. I hope your day goes better.

OP here, yes that short part of the game was the biggest highlight. If they weren't so pretentious about the narrative and easy as sin rune puzzles that padded out the game's length; they could have improved the intricacies of combat, given you more enemy types, and provided more content like that.

Sad reality is I got about 20 minutes of enjoyment out of this already short game, and spend the rest of the time groaning at the melodrama (especially during the parts where they have Senua kneeling in darkness looking at the camera so they can show off their pretty eyeball engine), and running down a linear path of autocomplete puzzles (walk down this obvious path until red runes appear then press look to lock onto shape).

I think it's a little sad that people are so down on the game for taking itself seriously. I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with irony and so-called self awareness. I found the narrative emotionally engaging, but I guess the subject matter won't connect with everyone.

>they could have improved the intricacies of combat,

its Ninja Theory, I doubt they have the skills to improve the combat

There was a massive disconnect between Senua mowing down 10ft tall fuckers, and her grieving of a little beardy celtic manlet pretty boy bard boyfriend. Dillion was horribly miscast & they didn't even digitally remove the english tattoos off of the actor's shoulder.

Maybe I just can't watch real life actors in a video game without thinking of something silly like Red Alert or Night Trap. Sure the game took itself seriously but I failed to.

I'll defer to my Silent Hill comparison again. Is it really so different from James pulverizing monsters with a crowbar and proceeding to grovel over his bedridden wife?

The combat is fucking bad. It does that western studio thing where they pull the camera really close because the developers couldn't pull enough strings to get into Hollywood.
There isn't really much to look at, especially early game. Senua also walks at such a pace that my fat ass could out pace her going uphill on a bike.
The Furies or whatever they called the voices are cool as hell, though. It ends up making the game sort of exhausting if you played it all in one sitting like I did.
Sometimes the voices decide to become a rock band and blast some folk metal at you, the bridge fight sticks out as a pretty good case.
Seeing Hel for the first time scared the shit out of me.
Using live action actors was jarring as fuck. Most of the voice actors brought it home, though.
The game drags on near the end. The bridge leading to the last boss has a gauntlet of enemies that just leads to another gauntlet of enemies.
I actually don't know if the Northmen were real or not.
Literally every SJW missed the point of this game.

>The game drags on near the end. The bridge leading to the last boss has a gauntlet of enemies that just leads to another gauntlet of enemies.

This is the only thing that really irked me. Not throwing down with Hela felt like a cop out. Other than that, the game seemed pretty much as advertised. A lot of the images will stick with me for a long time.

One thing I didn't mention was the lives system (die too many times and your brain rots and you have to start the whole game again). I didn't die enough times in my playthrough for this to happen, but there was no way in hell I was going to go through that dull first hour of the game a second time. The 8 minute opening credit sequence is nothing but a waste of GPU cycles.