I want to get a USB controller for old emulators and 2D action games like Risk of Rain...

I want to get a USB controller for old emulators and 2D action games like Risk of Rain. I bought a retrofitted SNES controller a while back but the buttons are really mushy.
Can you guys recommend me a good brand? Doesn't have to be a SNES clone per se, just that general layout (and no analog sticks).

Thanks Sup Forums

>no analog sticks
Why do you want to make this harder than it should be?

iBuffalo (Buffalo in some regions) is the best USB SNES controller.

Well, I never intend to use it for 3D games and controllers with sticks tend to have shite dpads, so.

I second this, I use it on PC and Wii U and it's great.

Have you lads had the issue with buttons randomly pressing themselves? I'm seeing it in a few reviews

I don't get the point of getting a NES-esque or SNES-esque controller for PC unless that's all you're going to play, or if you already own a xboner/PS4 controller for it. It seems limiting to me.

I had this issue with some USB Sega controller, but never with iBuffalo one.

8bitdo fc30 pro

Any SEGA based stuff?

>God Tier
>Dualshock 4
ALL MY FUCKING VOMIT

The 8bitdo snes controller is very similar to the original one, although its a tad more expensive than the other brands.

I do, but it doesn't make a difference at all. Just one left/right input every 30 minutes or so when idle, and doesn't happen at all during gameplay.

My personal favorite controller for this kind of stuff is the DS4, i think it's just the perfect controller
It uses a micro usb cord, so if you have an android charge you've already got the cable
The d pad feels amazing and works great for 2d games
The track pad on front allows you to use your mouse with the controller
and it's super easy to get connected to your computer
I'm a big fan of this controller, it just fits perfectly in your hand.

>for this kind of stuff is the DS4
>the worst controller you buy commercially
No thanks.

What's wrong with it?

I don't understand the WiiU Pro criticism, it feels good, sticks don't feel strange and the button placement isn't an issue either.

>What's wrong with it?
cheaply made and poor battery

Are thrustmasters really that bad? I found good reviews for this 360 controller that I planned on getting for PC gaming since they seemed to have fixed the dpad issue.

Are those official, limited-run Sega Saturn USB controllers still $400+ used?

the first 3 words of my post said that it was my personal favorite. not only that I provided a bunch of details as to why i think so.
not to mention it made it to the top of this dude's list What would you say is better, the xbox controller is pretty much the same thing

>I don't understand the WiiU Pro criticism
I don't either, that's the one thing I'd change about the chart
I'd also add 8bitdo controllers somewhere

That chart has the DualShock 4 in God tier, you can safely ignore the chart.

>the xbox controller is pretty much the same thing
The build quality between the bone and ds4 is night and day don't kid yourself.

man we get it you don't like DS4
stop shitting up the thread

this, good quality for the price especially. only complaint is how fucking short the cord is

My negro. I remember being weirded out by the L2 R2 placement at first but it becomes second nature very fast. Such a great budget controller

The thread is about recommended good controllers, pretending the DualShock 4 is good doesn't help OP.

>mfw I've used an afterglow for a decade

not him but the triggers on the wii U pro feel cheap to me

>cheaply made
Not at all
>poor battery
Compared to the competition yeah but its still good enough to get the job done.

My only real issue with it is the fucking obnoxious light on the front. Singlehandedly made me get a XBONE controller as a replacement when the thing got ruined in a flood.

>Not at all
How can you possibly defend it? Have you not touched any other controller in years? Hell there are third party PS4 controllers with better build quality. The triggers are especially poor.

except it is a good controller. you came into this thread and responded to every single post that talked about the ds4, that's pathetic. you haven't even suggested anything else. Shit up another thread

Op asked for controller recommendations. We're discussing controllers. I'm sorry being unable to defend the poor quality of the DS4 makes you upset but that's SONY's fault, not mine.

Probably because they're digital, one of its flaws.

I don't mind it that much, standard setting on PS4 is too bright but dimmed is alright.
And now I realized that I have the redesigned DS4

All you're saying is
>nuh uh, it's shit

Op asked for controller recommendations, we've all been recommending controllers for him, meanwhile you've just been shitting on the ds4. You're not discussing anything, you're shitposting. You've got people telling you that you're wrong but you insist it has shitty build quality even tho no one else agrees. It's sad that you came to fish for (you)'s in a slow thread. Don't worry mommy will give you attention some day.

>You're not discussing anything, you're shitposting
You can't criticize bad controllers in a controller thread?
>You've got people telling you that you're wrong
Yeah and Call of Duty is a real quality series, fuck off retard.
>It's sad that you came to fish for (you)'s in a slow thread. Don't worry mommy will give you attention some day.
Again I'm sorry being unable to defend the poor quality of the DS4 makes you upset but that's SONY's fault, not mine.

Legit autism. Ignore and move on my dudes.

man you really are autistic

>criticize Xbox controller
>no drama
>criticize Nintendo controller
>no drama
>criticize SEGA controller
>no drama
>criticize SONY controller
>no defence but personal attacks
Really gets me going, as someone WITH a PS4 I can safely say it's the worst controller this gen.

I hope you are underate, those things were really uncomfortable to hold and over hours gave you what we called "Finger vaginas"

Your fingers will get red due to the position you have to hold your controller or hurt your palms.

This. Got 2 for retropie and they work perfectly. Also worked perfect on my PC emulator playing AM2R

>How can you possibly defend it? Have you not touched any other controller in years?
I've used damn near every controller produced by a first party since the Saturn came out. The DS4 was decent.
>The triggers are especially poor.
They really weren't besides how much deadzone there was for games that didn't use a granular input, and tbf those were all things I was emulating which sorta falls outside the range of intended usage.

Do they only make Super Nintendo-like controllers?

Is Gaycube controller worth getting for 45 bucks? 25 for controller and 20 for adapter to use with WiiU and PC.

>for 45 bucks
No, are you planning to play a lot of Gamecube games?

Looks like they don't.

Only wanted to play Mario, really.

The only other one I know about is like a dualshock with the Genesis 6 button layout. No clue about quality or comfort of it though.

Just waiting for them to be in at your local cheap game shop. I got two Wavebird controllers for less than 50 bucks just by waiting it out.

That is a weird looking controller, how is it?

Sunshine? 2D?

It looks like its intended for fightan and arcade games to me.

What are with these shitty Chinese brands, is Data Frog any good? kebidu? HAOBA?
They're all really cheap...

Sunshine. I tried using Dualshock for it and it didn't feel very good.

No idea but I want to try it.

If you're going to play GC games, go ahead.
The GC controller really doesn't feel good for other games

Don't get duped user

Cheap Chinese pads are pretty bad. Cheap plastic and buttons feel like crap. SEGA-like pads have horrible d-pads on top of that.

>doesn't feel good for other games
Well he's fine for Gamecube and Wii
But they're SO cheap

If you want to waste cash, get a USB Saturn Controller and an actual Saturn Controller and swap the PCBs.

3rd party gamecube controllers are mostly trash that will break after using it once so yeah buy the real thing its worth it.

Go for it if you really want. But I would be way too scared of it being shit

>A list of """"retro"""" gamers who haven't experienced 2D gaming with the Elder God Tier Saturn Mark 2.
It's like they're all fucking posers or something.

>Go for it if you really want. But I would be way too scared of it being shit
I dunno. I can't find anything about them online

that list is obviously not trying to list official retro console controllers, user

I have one similar to that
The D-pad is physically painful to use, the buttons are mushy as fuck, and the sticks have massive deadzones
just don't fucking bother

My wired Xbox360 controller died. I have wireless that I can use with my Xbox360, but what should I get for PC: Dualshock 4, XboxOne controller or another wired Xbox360 controller?

Another wired 360 would be the cheapest but worst for 2d platformers, Xbone's pretty good but more expensive. what are you primarily using it for?

Is there an actual up to date version?

OP here. Sorry I couldn't reply for an hour.
You're good people, thanks for all the advice.

Why don't Sega and Nintendo mass produce usb controllers? They would make loads of money from retrofags.

Usually modern 3D games. I have buffalo for 2D stuff.

I use a Pokken controller. It's cheap, built well, and fits my hands properly. The buttons are limited for some games, though.

I like it but don't understand why the ZL/ZR are next to the select/start and not the standard six button face.
Like what?

Looking for a PC pad. $10 difference between this (3rd party, but well reviewed 360 controller) and the more expensive official XBone controller. Should I just go for the XBone one? Pretty much all the advice here has been to buy 1st party when you can. I don't need an amazing Dpad since I have a stick for fighting games, but I'd like a serviceable one for classic platformers and such, as well as the usual twin stick set up for other modern games. I hear installing the drivers can be kind of a pain for Windows 7, anyone here have experience using an XBone controller on W7?

I want a retro/emulator/fighting controller with six button layout like this. How are the Data Frog controllers on chinksites?

Xbone if you care about the dpad, 360 if not. DS3 and 4 are non-options because of the compatibility issue. Life is too short to make your DS4 compatible when Xbox controllers work out of the box.

It's designed specifically for one game that only uses 4 face buttons and two shoulder buttons. I usually map those buttons as emulator shortcuts.

will all of these controllers work on a raspberry pi 3?

Why not just get a hori fighting commander?

Support ps3/ps4/pc out of box,and come with 6 face button too.

It actually has an Xbox variant which has better PC compatibility.

How much? I already have a controller that works very well but you never know.

I'll go with XBOne, then.

This controller from DataFrog, by the way, has some issues with detecting dpad presses. It's so wonky I ended up pressing DOWN+RIGHT instead of DOWN a ton of times. So I can't recommend it. Maybe it's the way SEGA pads are supposed to be, I haven't held proper SEGA controller for 20 years.

Just buy one from aliexpress, i have a donkey kong and a kirby snes controller from data frog and theyre alright

Look up "Hori fighting commander xbox" on Amazon.

>This controller from DataFrog, by the way, has some issues with detecting dpad presses.

Well, shit. I hope it's not a widespread issue, I ordered two of these this week.

does this work on a rpi3?

Most xbox based controllers have compatibility with the rpi and if not you can probably work it in

Just use an original SNES controller and get the adaptor.
Wii U Pro controller is the best one you can use for modern games btw

It uses xbox controller's drivers, so it should work.

Not necessarily the best out there, but it's really good for most 2D retro and can be found mad cheap. Also works on Switch if you're into that.