EOV

Etrian Odyssey V thread

Third Stratum is kicking my ass, the first two were so easy and now I'm actually struggling even after getting new skills and resting everyone

im stuck on the second boss
binds aren't sticking at all and its random line sweeps are murdering everyone

Get the Chain Blast union skill on a Celestrian, it has an extremely high chance of applying all three binds

What level are you? I was level 30 when I fought that thing and it went down pretty easily, my main strategy was to keep Wilting Miasma on it with my harbinger, apply binds and ailments as much as possible, and just beat it down when it shields

Tell me your party.

1kat masurao/shield dragoon/deathbringer harbinger
omnimancer/healer botanist

I can manage, it's just that some of these enemies do retarded damage right now, the bane of my existence is the skeleton archers that always start in the back row, resist arm binds, and pierce lines

ah i benched my warlock a while ago, i'll try that then. wilting miasma and black mist wasn't helping at all either
im around 26-28

>use Form previously for a certain FOE drop
>post Stratum 5 quest MAKES ME GET IT AGAIN
just look at my registry you stupid fucking cunt

Chain blast has a 150% chance to bind all three parts. Pair it with wilting (1.5x) and you can practically guarantee the lock down.

first time playing

i don't know all the classes names yet but my party is

dragon - puglist
archer - elemtal sorcerer - hobbit herb healer

is this a proper team? can it work? when do I get more skills, currently lvl 9 and I find the lack of class skills worrying but I guess they'll get more at some point

Post EO loli armpits.

give me an easy to play team please

It'll work

If you want you can even replace your botanist with a necromancer or shaman since you have rover, two off-healers works about as well as one botanist and they'll each have more support and offense options too

Pretty much how I handled it. Minus Chain Blast because my Pugilist kept the thing tied up for all but the last few rounds of the fight.

And that was partly because I petrified it for the last 5 rounds while I beat it to death.

how do I fall for the Chain team meme?

Fencer / Barrage Pug / 4kat bunny
Shaman / Shield Goon / freeslot

sound about right?

Masurao girls are too cute so I had to take two along

Masurao/Masurao
Dragoon/Warlock/Botanist

Hopefully this team isn't total shit

I hope you're not going to make two 4kats. Also put Dragoon on front row.

4kat | Cannon Dragoon | Barrage Brawler
Celestrian Herald | Doggo Rover
Its been a good run so far(halfway through 3rd stratum), random encounters aren't that big of a problem and the only thing I feel myself short of is non-bind ailments.

I realize I really don't fully utilize the non-default union skills as much, chain blast would have probably been a safer way of locking down that bosses limbs rather than hoping Pug and Rover hit their binds.

Chain Blast is the only one I've invested in, it's really good

The only other one I ever tried was Mana Heal but it was fucking shit, takes 3 people's bars and heals everyone for barely one skill's worth of TP, I rested later and didn't take that one back

Are Masurao's supposed to be fragile as paper? Currently trying out the demo, and man, my Masurao dies in one hit no matter the difficulty...

Masurao/Pugilist
Dragoon/Botanist/Warlock

>bind toxapede's head with pugilist
>smack the dogshit out of it
>only gets to poison once near the end of the fight
>heal it off anyways with rover's aid command

i thought people said this was a hard FOE

It feels good to pair Chain Blast with Pugilist once they get Clinch. Combined with Black Mist, it's an almost guaranteed 2-3 binds.

If you're smart with your TP management, you really shouldn't need skills like Mana Heal.

Masurao / Pugilist / Dragoon
Warlock / Rover

They're tough early because Poison attack+poison damage is generally instant death that early. Head Binds fuck them pretty hard, as you found.

There's a quest later where you get attacked by 4 at once.

By the time you can initiate that quest, you should be geared enough to blow through it. Still gave initial PTSD.

He's hard if you don't know to bind his head. That poison is killer at low levels

i'm running
fencer/bind pug
bird rover/omnilock/botanist
it started off a bit slow but it's doing some respectable damage

>None of the team I want to make include every race

Alter Class lets you make any race into any class

I had a lot of one shot deaths very early on. It becomes less of an issue once you get revival herb.

>no Brounie
>sacrifice wraiths for healing
>realize I'm lacking in binds
>rover doesn't bind head, pugulist looks shit

Where are my Arcanists from EO4?

For something that requires 5 party members I'd hope it would be good. Honestly the only ones I've tried are resuscitate which I have on both of my earthlains due to my party lacking rez skills and tri-shield which I might respec out of because the few times I wanted to use it to block a huge AoE attack it only saved my two bunkers and doggo.

Wait I'm a little confused isn't clinch the skill that attempts to fully bind the Barrage Pug and the enemy? If you're talking about leading blow though that does sound like a great combo

But how am I supposed to include a Celestrian in a pure physical team

Is their gear up to date? Plate/leather chest? Didn't have that much issue past 1F outside of the flying squirrel nuke.

Don't Celestrians get good TP and decent luck? They might make an ok Harbinger

earthlain 1kat / therian cannon dragoon / earthlain deathbringer
therian hawk rover / celestrian heal shaman

>tfw can't get past the first stratum
I keep getting killed in one hit by everything on the fifth floor, nothing gives decent exp so i can't level up easily, and i have no money for new equipment
it's not fair

>pugulist looks shit
>he doesn't know

Yeah. What I mean is I go for Black Mist + Clinch, then whatever doesn't get bind (hopefully) gets bound with Chain Blast, followed obviously by Leading Blow. It's a beautiful synergy that's been working out for me.

Haven't played since EO2. Anything new I should know about? Always have issue with skill points since I never really know which I really should focus on plus things like digging points.

Any major tips to help me out on that?

What, it's the opposite for me, I even beaten the first two bosses without even trying and I'm having an easy time with red aura FOEs in the third stratum.
I've only died once against the giraffe because I had no head binds.

I don't remember earlier EOs requiring full stacks of armor for everyone, so I just bought a shield for Teach, and left to explore... Seems it's different this time around?
Though at the same time, it was the squirrel that nuked the Masurao dead.

man i hate necromancer's subclasses. i wanted a mix of a hexer + wildling, but both of them feel really mediocre

How up for "cheating" are you? Temporarily lowering the difficulty for the raised Exp gain is an option, and another option is the good old "Recruit lots of people, sell their items, and send them away"

Armor and VIT is 1:1, so it's pretty good to have now. Squirrel one-shotting squishies is normal, but not past 1F, in my experience.

Aside from the time it takes to save, are there any other differences with digital vs physical? Waiting on my physical copy to come 03/11 here in the UK.

Lazy Yuu. Make yourself useful and go hunt some FOEs. 1st Stratum quests are enough to get you at least to 13.

Chain Fencers are amazing good lord. Can't believe I almost got memed these past few months by people calling em the second worst class in the whole game.

I guess I got no other option but to stack everyone up with armor, then.

any way to grind fast without losing my mind? i tried out a new party in the english release, got em to like level 18 or so and kinda hate em. im at floor 8

Enlighten me. My current party is
> fencer / masurao
> dragoon / warlock / necro
I've been debating swapping out fencer for something else since the chain skills aren't carrying their weight.

Rover can bind head once they get access to legendary names, the bird gets two different skills that do it

What is your party? Do you not have any defensive classes? For now, I guess you can recruit new members to form a basic gathering party to make some dosh.

If you're gonna go chain fencing the whole party has to be in sync. Drop it for a Pugilist.

Here again, just got my first dude to level 10, a window popped up but I spam pressed A like after every fight so I missed the text box. What did it say?

You unlock new racial skills every five levels up to level 20. That's all it was saying.

Ah right, thanks

What about rover? I didn't pick one up because I figured they'd conflict with the necro.

Any class the potatoes are good at? Just thinking since it would be nice to have their racial skills, specially their taking herb skill.

Is 1Kat that much worse than 4Kat?

Dragoon if you're going defensive. So a 4Kat + potato dragoon isn't a bad mix

1kat is an all rounder front line
4kat needs to be babysat
although 1kat is better as an earthlain

Using
Pugilist/Masurao/Harbringer
Necromancer/Shaman
When is this Harbringer going to fucking do something
Still in the first stratum

Do I lose much if I don't bring every race? I know about the racial skills but I looked at them and I think I'd be fine without them but apparently there's something about needing different races for sidequests?

You'll only be focusing on 1 pet so they can work together, though the necro will be better with 3 ghosts not 2. So it's fine, maybe sub optimal but not problematic by any means. It helps that Rovers are decent damage dealers as well.
Late bloomer, except they don't bloom so much as not suck so much. I hear they're decent debuffers/ailment inducers later on but they need time to get to that point.

Thanks mate.
Really hoping my team starts to not suck ass

That's correct. Rover in what sense though?
For replacing Necro, Rover (Hound) gives you a free heal bot and Falcon's Wing Thrash is suprisingly strong line damage, but costly if you want to have both out at once. (Which isn't really a bad idea and you still have a free slot for one of Dragon's bunkers.) The passive healing is good enough to free up party composition too, but it won't be nearly as broken as Necro later.(Lol zombie powder.)

If you meant Rover to support chaining, it's not nearly enough. Shaman works better to singlehandedly support chaining thanks to their element skills. Three - Four procs is usually enough to keep chaining pretty good early game. Generalist Warlock with the multihit sound like it should be good on paper, but I don't have a Warlock so I haven't tried it.

What's a good way to make money in the first Stratum? I have no money to upgrade armor.

I think you're main problem thus far has been the lack of decent damage dealers. The fencer isn't getting enough chains, the warlock is ok but not amazing and then the necro can't really dish out the hurt. Getting a Rover on there should get you 2 good damage dealers and 1 ok one which'll make things a lot better.

But Mana Heal is a default skill.

Not him but would making a Celestrian Rover be a good idea to deal with the TP issue of using both animals? I figure their low defense won't be a problem in the back row and their low strenght isn't as big of a big problem if you focus on using animal skills, who have their own stats anyway

4kat is 'better' in the sense it is capable of some really stupid shit with sanzu and reflower, but both those skills require building your party to compensate for them.

1kat is basically your standard non-linking landsknecht that does consistently high damage but can't achieve anything crazy, but it requires no setup or support.

Sure, but summoning both animals seems pretty bad as you progress, since you will eventually need to specialize with second names.

They do any support-y thing well. And if you value durability over damage, they can feasibly contest elves over Necro unless you're thirsty for the status ailments, do the Hound path of Rover nicely, and a more longrun focused Dragoon on the more defensive path (Hygeia's Bowl plus Dragoon is pretty nice), debuff focused (emphasize on focused; you aren't getting anywhere with those ailments) Harbinger.

It's a pretty niche appeal though, in all three cases. The low luck kills the race more than anything else.

Aren't animal stats based on yours, though? Elves would definitely make a decent Healing hound, but they probably shouldn't touch hawk. That's a pretty decent idea though, so I might try it.

Even if you don't level any skills for it its still another body in your party for 10 skill points. Still seems like it can be worth it unless you have something else competing for those summon spots.

My Fencer is up for re-training.
The Rover was going to be my bind champion, which won't happen now because I want my necro at full potential. Chain skills seem like they'd mesh well with a 4kat (once I get one), but a Pugulist will work better in my party. I just hope I'm not getting memed into using one.

The only other party member I could swap for something else is my Dragoon.

Get the DLC goy

So, how do the bunkers work? Heard mostly bad about them online, and wondering if they are worth it.

>tfw stuck on first boss
I gotta rest, my skills suck and I do no damage, holy shit.

Would rather put 10 points into flexing the second tree and use the TP for those skills instead. But yeah, if there's no one else using the summon line, might as well fill the second spot.

Do only Pugilist and Rover get bind skills?

Painful stories time. Tell me about your first wipe.

Mine was stratum 2. I got into an encounter with a giraffe when it was yellow ring and after hitting it with a boulder. Didn't know what it could do, since first encounter.

Put up tri shield the turn after it charges. Figure I'm good. Then tri-shield protects my wolf, hawk, and bunker while the rest of my party still ended up one shot. And I had a full bag of materials and lost two levels on every member, siiiiigh.

>Only summoned in battle
>Low health, extremely high DEF and aggro
>Second bunker type can counter attack if hit
>Even if attacks towards them miss, still accounts towards Gun Revenge stacks

It's basically a good option alongside rovers if you like to be lazy and not worry about mitigation as much.

I was in the third stratum, just walked through a bunch of damage floors on 12F, forgot to heal my party, then got ambushed by two of the skeleton archers and they immediately killed my healer, dragoon, harbinger, and warlock with line pierce arrows and finished off the masurao before I could run away

Who says you even need to put in all ten? Is bird that fragile late game? The "front" line almost never gets attacked as it is.

1kat has a skill that attempts all three binds for a grand total of 12% chance.

Omnimancer has a spell that hits all enemies and can bind arms, and there's 1kat's Triple Strike that the other user mentioned

Both are kind of shit without Wilting Miasma or something

Why is my warlock doing so much more damage than everyone else? Should I drop my masurao for another war?

They start to get pretty frail unless you keep putting points in the skill.

Thank you. I'm only finishing up stratum 2, and I've heard the difficulty jump will be in the next one.

Unrelated question. When are legendary names unlocked. After beating stratum 2 boss?

Yeah, right after the second boss. Report the council and you'll unlock second names from the guild.

Is it possible to use hawk and hound with only 1 rover?

Where do I get the dlc early?

Pretty sure animal tats are based on level not stats. Problem is hawk skills have a bow attack component you're gonna waste with elves, and dog heals will go off slower thanks to shitty elf speed

Yup. Will leave you stuck autoattacking until you have quite a few levels under your belt though.

Please respond

On advanced and beat 1st strat using:

Pugilist/Harbinger
Hawk Rover/Shaman/Necromancer

Am I already dead for the next strats?